Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course it's hard to say what's legit or not at this point, but I have seen a handful of reports in recent days more or less saying that "Rodgers isn't the holdup" or something along those lines. I think Wingo was probably the most prominent.

If that's the case then perhaps it's not so much Rodgers keeping everyone in the dark as it is just wanting to not speak out of turn

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Which is why they should "let it slip" that they're open to "possibly" working with NFC teams & see if any come out of the woodwork & inquire. Doubt AR will like that considering NYJ have already signed Lazaard, though. Atlanta?
I'm just guessing, but when someone with Rodgers talent is said to be on the market, I would think that the teams that really wanted him, would have already stepped forward. So if the Packers try to wait it out too long, they might even get less for him or even worse, they might have to keep him.

I know a few fans think this decision isn't time sensitive, but for sure for the Jets, it sure is. The Packers may not be big Free Agent players this year, but knowing what this big piece of their 2023 cap puzzle is going to look like is very important to them as they continue to build the roster. Hopefully, the organization unchains themselves of the drama today.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why they should "let it slip" that they're open to "possibly" working with NFC teams & see if any come out of the woodwork & inquire. Doubt AR will like that considering NYJ have already signed Lazaard, though. Atlanta?

Yeah thats not happening, like you said theyve already signed Lazard. Who said he was going to be picky about his free agency. Ie he didnt sign with the Jets to play with Zach Wilson.

Unless Lamar Jackson is really available and the Jets are going with him I guess. But he's only other real option left other than Rodgers.

To me Rodgers is going to the Jets and because of his de facto trade clause the Packers aren't gonna get that much. He's agreed to play for the Jets, if the Packers try to trade him sonewhere else now. He'll just retire.

Then this will end up all too eerily like the Favre situation. With Rodgers showing up on a private jet in July/August to return as the Packers starting qb

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah thats not happening, like you said theyve already signed Lazard. Who said he was going to be picky about his free agency. Ie he didnt sign with the Jets to play with Zach Wilson.
Yep. In fact I think if I remember right he specifically talked about wanting to play "Somewhere warm," lol.
Unless Lamar Jackson is really available and the Jets are going with him I guess. But he's only other real option left other than Rodgers.
Seems like their only other option to me too although they would probably need to do some serious cap gymnastics to make it work. As I understand it the Jets have something like 15-20m of cap space and Rodgers' cap hit can be spread to hit for like 16m this year. On the other hand Lamar is supposedly asking for 50m+ per year and more guaranteed money than Deshaun Watson (230m)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Lamar has a shot at all of getting what he wants. The best part of his game is his ability to run built off a strong run game. After that he's average at best. Which is fine, but no way should a team guarantee that money for that long for a guy who is going to be on IR and slowed by injury sooner than later taking away his most dangerous trait.
A team isn't going to kill themselves long term for that. They might take short term gambles or they might give big money, but spread out, non guaranteed and he's going to have to play for 5-7 years to earn it.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Lamar has a shot at all of getting what he wants. The best part of his game is his ability to run built off a strong run game. After that he's average at best. Which is fine, but no way should a team guarantee that money for that long for a guy who is going to be on IR and slowed by injury sooner than later taking away his most dangerous trait.
A team isn't going to kill themselves long term for that. They might take short term gambles or they might give big money, but spread out, non guaranteed and he's going to have to play for 5-7 years to earn it.
I don't think so either, but it's (in part) for that reason that I don't see him as a very realistic option for NY either. Unless the bridges have been totally burnt in Baltimore my gut says he ends up back there at the end of the day.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He is still trying to stay may have been a change in tune of the front office stay tuned just got reported this like I said my source said he wants to stay in Green Bay thats all I know
We find out 3 days prior to this post, he said wanted to play for the jets

maybe your source is wrong? Or just slow to leak info

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Or maybe if you throw out enough scenarios from Super Secret Sources, one of them is sure to be able to be twisted into some semblance of accuracy LOL

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guessing if they are it is about compensation. Especially if no other teams are interested in Rodgers, which it sounds like is the case. The Jets have the Packers by their collective nut sacks.
Or it could be the other way around. The Jets were the desperate ones wooing Rodgers. I suspect if Rodgers told Gute he wanted to come back to GB they would have welcomed him back. But it appears AR didn't feel the love from management like in the past. He probably could read the writing on the wall that GB was ready to move on with Jordan. Aaron seems to be the type of person who needs to be needed. He was contemplating retirement until he was courted by NY. I don't care how long it takes to iron out this deal as long as we can get as much compensation as we can for Rodgers.

Reaction score
Or it could be the other way around. The Jets were the desperate ones wooing Rodgers. I suspect if Rodgers told Gute he wanted to come back to GB they would have welcomed him back. But it appears AR didn't feel the love from management like in the past. He probably could read the writing on the wall that GB was ready to move on with Jordan. Aaron seems to be the type of person who needs to be needed. He was contemplating retirement until he was courted by NY. I don't care how long it takes to iron out this deal as long as we can get as much compensation as we can for Rodgers.
Yeah I agree. We already know Love is our guy. Obvious reports saying GB wants TWO 1st Rounders. I don’t blame them trying but a Jets #13 + Jets 3rd Rounder in a trade back and forth lands GB a top 20 selection and we’d acquire a (later) 2024 Day 1 selection (see 2018 draft)
As long as we get their #13 plus a 3rd Rounder it’s essentially a top #20 plus a later Day 1 selection in 2024. That’s reasonable imo

Perfecting our 2018 draft model and It spells GB selecting #15,#18ish, #45,#79, plus Day 3’s + we’d have a pair of Day 1’s next season. That’s getting at least reasonable compensation. Maybe not ideal but adequate.

I assume the Jets are trying to hold onto #13 and The Packers can’t make that math work without asking for like the rest of the Jets current draft class and then some.
Just my guess

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think youre right the stalemate is over that #13 pick. The Jets need that pick to grt Rodgers an impact player likely a tackle.

The Packers know if they dont get picks in this years draft a first becomes an early 2nd and so on kind of thing. Because make no mistake about it the Jets are gonna be good in 2023. They already had a top 5 defense with a defensive minded really good head coach. Now they have Rodgers hackett and lazard to fix the offense enough to win games. I like their chances.

I guess what I would say if I was negotiating for the Packers is...if you want Rodgers now, then #13 has to be included otherwise you gotta wait until after june 1st.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess what I would say if I was negotiating for the Packers is...if you want Rodgers now, then #13 has to be included otherwise you gotta wait until after june 1st.
A June 1 trade gets GB NO PICKS in the '23 draft beginning April 27th. IF that's the sticking point I'd much rather swap our #45 for #13 and then fill-in the rest of the compensation from there... so maybe:

GB's: AR + #45 + #242 for:
NYJ's: #13, #43, a conditional '24 3rd rounder (moves to a 2nd if NYJ make AFCCG or 4th no playoffs?) + Ruckert or Corey Davis.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me their 2023 1st is the absolute minimum starting line. If that's not included or they're only willing to push out to future assets it's going to need to be pretty lopsided in our favor at that point.

2023 is of course the big year for evaluating Love now. Having an extra 1st to build around him and put him in the best position would be great but if NYJ aren't willing to do that then I would basically be expecting them to provide enough future capital for us to easily maneuver into picking a top QB in next year's draft. Generally speaking in terms of "value" a pick next year is regarded as one round lower this year, i.e. a 2024 2nd is "valued" roughly the same as a 2023 3rd.

And honestly I think for the Jets the risk is about the same no matter how you slice it.

If Rodgers returns to play at an MVP level and takes them on a playoff run (I don't even think it has to culminate in a SB appearance or win) then pretty much whatever they paid will be seen as "worth it" IMO. If he plays like an MVP again and leads them into the playoffs I think even two firsts would not be seen as overpaying.

And on the other hand pretty much anything less will probably be viewed as a failure. If Rodgers plays like he did in 2022 or simply fails to get them into the playoffs then even if they only gave up a 2023 3rd or something it will still be seen as a waste, failure, etc.

Reaction score
A June 1 trade gets GB NO PICKS in the '23 draft beginning April 27th. IF that's the sticking point I'd much rather swap our #45 for #13 and then fill-in the rest of the compensation from there... so maybe:

GB's: AR + #45 + #242 for:
NYJ's: #13, #43, a conditional '24 3rd rounder (moves to a 2nd if NYJ make AFCCG or 4th no playoffs?) + Ruckert or Corey Davis.
I like that. That is partly the compensation I suggested some time ago. Although if we give up a #45 Overall I’d also want their 4th,5th Rounder today due to where they are selecting in each round that’s still powerful compensation. They only have 6 selections and I think that part of the issue. I’d kick them back a pair of our 7th Rounders so they can still feel fill needs in their win now mode.
They’d have:
#43,45,#74,#206,#232, 242,#256 + Aaron Rodgers

Packers would have
#13, #15, #78, #112, #116, #143, #149,#170, #235 + 2024
-3rd rounder.

Reaction score
I think youre right the stalemate is over that #13 pick. The Jets need that pick to grt Rodgers an impact player likely a tackle.
I would still try to work with the Jets If they compensate us in some format for that #13 I’d work with them. Such as their 2nd,3rd,4th, 6th in trade for our #256 etc. this year plus that late Day 1 next season? I might do that deal

The Jets are picking relatively early each round in 2023. I’d prefer we get the bulk share of capital now as next year we’d be picking much later.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Already what I would view as a negative article written about Rodgers in a NY based publication. Let the fun and games begin for NYJ fans. If Rodgers thought that the spotlight on him was too big in Green Bay, his head will spin with what NY is going to be like. Possibly his only saving grace will be that the NY market has a lot of professional teams

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Their is some inaccuracy in what was told to me however I believe there is way more inaccuracy in what Rodgers actually said yesterday. I’m not sure what to make of it take it for what it’s worth I guess. I just hope we get decent compensation and love balls out. It’s time to move on. Can’t wait for Green Bay to draft a wr in the first round lol luckily the nfc isn’t stacked so we will be competitive if love can win some games

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Their is some inaccuracy in what was told to me however I believe there is way more inaccuracy in what Rodgers actually said yesterday. I’m not sure what to make of it take it for what it’s worth I guess. I just hope we get decent compensation and love balls out. It’s time to move on. Can’t wait for Green Bay to draft a wr in the first round lol luckily the nfc isn’t stacked so we will be competitive if love can win some games
He was a bit inconsistent on a few of his points; desire to still play for the Packers and the whole "list of guys" he would like to see the Jets bring in.

As with anything, there are always 3 sides to things. His side, the Packers side and somewhere in between, which usually is the actual truth.

The Rodgers hour on the Pat M show was sprinkled with what he does well, saying he isn't going to do something (not there to break any news) and then do it. Yet, he broke the news that he will play for the Jets, if the compensation end of things gets worked out between the 2 teams.

He loves playing the misunderstood victim card.

Oh well, I will miss his abilities, but not his personality. This montage of the players picked before him in the 2005 draft, was just another reminder of how "lucky" it was for the Packers that Ted picked him. Had Green Bay picked anyone else in that draft, I have no doubt, it would have changed the last 18 seasons for the organization.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers don't benefit from waiting until after the draft to trade Rodgers though. Sure, they could save some cap space for the 2023 season but those savings would hit the cap in '24.

I would definitely prefer to receive picks in this year's draft as the Jets will most likely select later in each round starting next year.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't benefit from waiting until after the draft to trade Rodgers though. Sure, they could save some cap space for the 2023 season but those savings would hit the cap in '24.

I would definitely prefer to receive picks in this year's draft as the Jets will most likely select later in each round starting next year.

Yes everyone wants picks in this draft for Rodgers and I get why. But it seems the Jets not gonna give up #13 at this point. Further more, reportedly they are offering a conditional 4th round pick. So nothing in this draft at all. They basically want the same deal they gave for Favre. I believe the confitional 4th ended up a 2nd due to playing time or some other parameter

The threat of not consummating the trade til after June 1st doesnt benefit the Packers much, youre correct. However it sure would throw a wrench in the Jets offseason and I would think it would be enough to get a pick or two in the 2023 draft. Since their time with Rodgers is gonna be limited I'd bet they want to get started right away in order to make the most of it

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t envision 2,1’s 2-2’s and all that. But if we’re talking a 4th. I’m welcoming Rodgers back lol.

I mean haha yeah thats the game theyre gonna try to play but unfortunately Rodgers has stated he's not willing to play for the Packers any longer

Ultimately they might have to settle for a deal like @tynimiller suggested. Basically post June 1st and all conditional picks

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes everyone wants picks in this draft for Rodgers and I get why. But it seems the Jets not gonna give up #13 at this point. Further more, reportedly they are offering a conditional 4th round pick. So nothing in this draft at all. They basically want the same deal they gave for Favre. I believe the confitional 4th ended up a 2nd due to playing time or some other parameter

The threat of not consummating the trade til after June 1st doesnt benefit the Packers much, youre correct. However it sure would throw a wrench in the Jets offseason and I would think it would be enough to get a pick or two in the 2023 draft. Since their time with Rodgers is gonna be limited I'd bet they want to get started right away in order to make the most of it
Not sure why people think the Jets aren't screwed if this falls through

They benched their qb
Packers have theirs
Not a lot of options out there
June 1st is on Packers favor

Members online

Latest posts