Rodgers playoffs since the Super Bowl

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bensalama21, Wow yes you're right about Andrew Luck. He was extremely generous last night again with the donated balls to New England man!

You know, reading McGinn's opinion I find myself agreeing. McGinn is notorious for highlighting the negative about TT, but someone has to play the bad guy sometimes, especially when everyone else is apologizing, so let it be McGinn.

4 playoff games in the last 3 years and 2 have been blowouts, one a good but not great game (this year), and one a win against the Joe Webb-led Vikings in which we probably should have blown them sky-high but merely won.

Contrast that to the Patriots. I watched how the Patriots dismantled Indy last night and I noticed several things.

Yes, they have better personnel overall than we do, but a) Belichick isn't the guy calling the plays, it's McDaniels their OC, and he was masterful. The announcers talked about how he had identified some weakness on the Indy left side that he was exploiting all game. When if ever have I heard MM's play-calling described as masterful? b) the Patriots put on their best performances year after year in the playoffs. We don't, except for 2010. No, they haven't won a SB in many years, but unlike us, they have MADE it to the AFC championship game and the SB umpteen more times than we have. c) Brady is always ready for the playoffs. He almost never has a pedestrian game. You always know he's gonna bring it. d) There's always somebody, several players who have a big game for the Patriots.

Rodgers has been ok, but ok in the playoffs is not good enough. You have to be great. I wish that I could call his performances over the last 3 years, any 1 of the 4 great, but I can't.
I agree with much of that ExpatPacker!
I hate New England and I keep loving to rib their fans by saying they haven't won a SB since Spygate caught them.... but they have made it to 2 that were supposed to be against is, if the Giants hadn't knocked us off each time, in our park.

BTW, New England is the one and only team, I think, who can say right now they've been hurt worse than us with injuries.
Maybe Denver is close too.

But New England has lost the best TE in football to a Randall Cobb-like cheap shot, torn ACL/MCL.
They're also without their Pro Bowl NT Vincey Wilfork, who is still everything the Packers wished Raji would become.
And they're missing now their ILB Brandon Spikes, who is great against the run.
I can't keep track of their WR's and who's injured there....

Denver lost the All-Pro OLB Von Miller to a torn ACL last month, and same thing to their All-Pro LT Bryan Bulaga.
That's pretty good duo there.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Since this is about Rodgers playoff games since the SB, do not want this to get lost

I swear sometimes reporters are here lurking to hep get their stories...This article by "bob" was put up online on Saturday the 11th....But this thread was started on Monday the 6th

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ehind-by-nfl-elite-b99180633z1-239781131.html

In 2010, Rodgers performed well in the first and third playoff games and brilliantly in the second and fourth. His pelts forever are on the wall.

Since then, in four playoff games, he outplayed the aforementioned Webb (subbing last minute for the injured Ponder) in the only victory and was outplayed by Kaepernick twice and Eli Manning once in the three defeats.

Not once in those four games did the opposing coordinators all-out blitz Rodgers, and on a mere 12.3% of passes did they even pressure with five. Just as San Francisco's Vic Fangio did last Sunday, the way to subdue Rodgers in the postseason is to make him be patient.

After review, it could be said that Rodgers gave the Packers ordinary quarterback play in his last four playoff starts.

Rodgers accepted blame Tuesday, but the only thing that matters will be if he performs a whole lot better than ordinary if and when his team returns to the postseason.

Few of us have said similar things like ordinary when talking about Rodgers and his game vs the Niners

Bob are you lurking?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
198 yards last night and no TD for Brady

That is pedestrian

Yes, but the running game was so good last night, he didn't need to crank it up. He just needed to run the offense. And Luck was also generous.
Still, point taken.

PS Just looked at the box score. Blount had 166 yards rushing. Holy steamroller Batman.

H

HardRightEdge

198 yards last night and no TD for Brady

That is pedestrian
NE ran the ball 46 times. First, they had no WRs in 2012; in 2013 they lost their TEs and slot receiver. They have morphed into a running team. That is not a joke.

Russell Wilson was 9-18 for 106 yards.

There seems to be a misconception that Super Bowls are won through elite QB play in each and every playoff game. The facts don't bear that out. Super Bowl-winning teams demonstrate multiple ways of winning.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WHAT? By chance are you an only child? You call people names and we're told to grow up and attacked and you have a problem with THIS post above? Is that a joke?

You started out personal, and then you complained about me attacking the messenger, people in glasshouses.

Indianapolis was a little over a year ago and it's merely the best illustration since Rodgers' took 2 sacks in the same series to kill the final potentially game winning drive. If you want to pretend that Aaron Rodgers is some sort of flawless Christ like figure, which essentially is what you were arguing since your freaked out at the idea of Aaron receiving SOME criticism, then be my guest. The rest of us will continue discussing Aaron's need to take less sacks, be more decisive in his reads on some of his reads hitting the first open man instead of hunting for the big play, and learn to play a more patient game against 2 deep alignments. No one is saying he is bad, no one is saying he should be replaced or was even the primary reason we lost. However he merely played well enough not to lose, but not well enough to win.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
NE ran the ball 46 times. First, they had no WRs in 2012; in 2013 they lost their TEs and slot receiver. They have morphed into a running team. That is not a joke.

Russell Wilson was 9-18 for 106 yards.

There seems to be a misconception that Super Bowls are won through elite QB play in each and every playoff game. The facts don't bear that out. Super Bowl-winning teams demonstrate multiple ways of winning.

Dont think I have to explain it, but I guess I do

Prev poster said
c) Brady is always ready for the playoffs. He almost never has a pedestrian game.

That is why I said he did yesterday..Never said he won the game..Never said they should have lost the game because of Tom..

Only that he it was a pedestrian type game for Tom

H

HardRightEdge

The point being:

$20 million per year does not entitle you to elite performance each and every game.

What it buys you is elite performance on balance, an opportunity to win each time they tee it up, and a guy who doesn't lose games.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Dont think I have to explain it, but I guess I do

Prev poster said

That is why I said he did yesterday..Never said he won the game..Never said they should have lost the game because of Tom..

Only that he it was a pedestrian type game for Tom
Yet, Rodgers had a "pedestrian game" in your mind (even if he didn't), and that's the reason we lost.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure it is..

I get you think he did enough to win the game..
I get you think (and so do I) the defense failed at the end..

He didnt "lose" the game at the end, but if he played better, they might have had one more TD and not a FG

177 yards in a playoff game just isnt good enough

That is all I am trying to say

Notice what I did say, please stop accusing me of things I never said

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm telling you if we can get McCarthy to call more runs, along with drafting or acquiring some good OLinemen I think we will gallop our way to Super Bowl 49.. XLIX? I'm not saying I lack faith or confidence in Rodgers and our receiving corps, but we need to use them correctly. Hammer the ball with Lacy a few times and then go over the top for a big play... the key is that OL that we seem to lack.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I don't agree with pretty much anything all of you are saying.

Except that I agree that Rodgers hasn't had any truly great post season games since the team's SB run.

The way I see it is this:

2009: Rodgers has a great game. But our defense allows Kurt Warner to have a great game, too.
2010: Amazing run by the whole team, including Rodgers.
2011: One and done, but the loss comes against the eventual SB winner (Giants).
2012: One and done, but the loss comes against the Niners, who end up losing the SB by only a FG.
2013: One and done, but the loss comes against the Niners, who were more healthy and have been on a good run. Almost pulled an upset, despite all this. Are the Niners going to the big game? Time will tell.

So, we lost to two SB-bound teams, possibly a third. Not too fricking shabby, IMO.

Am I upset we lost each season. Yes. Do I wish the defense and offense and ST to be better? Yes.

But, this is still a pretty good team.

I guess I see the cup as half full.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dietrich-Smith getting shoved into Rogers, who scrambles away (thanks to D-S's hold) and tosses the magic pass typifies the offense's problems. We are not controlling the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball, and that has to change before we again join the elite. There's 29 teams in the league wishing they had Rogers running things--and Denver and New England will be there soon.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notice what I did say, please stop accusing me of things I never said

That's how I feel and I get the point. I agree Rodgers "could have done more". Of course he could have and so could about 30 other players. In the end and the most important point, unlike Kaperdckhead, Rodgers DID put his team in a position to win it at the end. If I was forced to put blame on somebody for this loss, Rodgers would be pretty far down the list.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's how I feel and I get the point. I agree Rodgers "could have done more". Of course he could have and so could about 30 other players. In the end and the most important point, unlike Kaperdckhead, Rodgers DID put his team in a position to win it at the end. If I was forced to put blame on somebody for this loss, Rodgers would be pretty far down the list.

Rodgers himself took some blame on his radio show for the loss to the Niners. But I don´t get at what point Rodgers put us in a position to win that game??? That would have been true if the offense would have scored a TD on their last drive, but they only came up with a FG.

Members online

Latest posts