Rodgers playoffs since the Super Bowl

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the magical Super Bowl run (with 2 great games in domes and 2 subpar games at Philly & at Chicago) Rodgers has 6 touchdowns in 4 playoff games and is 1-3.

23-year old QB Andrew Luck has 731 passing yards, 4 TD passes, and a historically clutch 4th-quarter comeback win in only 2 playoff games. Not bad.

Colin Kaepernick has 1,025 passing yards & 2 4th-quarter rallies in 4 playoff games +plus 362 rushing yards (most of them against us sadly).

Rodgers has 972 passing yards in his last 4 playoff games, 3 losses & the 1 playoff win over Joe Webb's Vikings.

Since winning the Super Bowl 3 seasons ago, the Packers are 17-49 (35%) on 3rd-down conversions in the playoffs. Yesterday they were 3-11 with failures coming at the end of the first half (poor execution and time management), and their last drive of the game (poor play calls and execution).
Both times we settled for short FG's after not cashing in for touchdowns. Big points left on the table.

During the Super Bowl season playoffs, Rodgers converted 24 of 49 (49%) third downs.
That's a big difference and we've often heard it said "games are won on 3rd downs."

The Niners with Kaptain Kaepernick were 6-12 yesterday, plus 1-1 on 4th down.

In close games, those differences matter.

How much blame does Rodgers deserve for the 3 early exits?
Be honest here. I've seen some great discussion today elsewhere on this subject. Touchy though. Woo.

He's been just decent -in the postseason- since that Super Bowl game 3 years ago.
No, he hasn't had any Brett Favre moments though, throwing a game away at the end.
Somewhere, despite his own miseries, I think Greg Jennings and his sister are smiling.

Levi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron is playing against really good defenses and Aaron has to know he's carrying the team with that crap defense. He's lucky now he's got Eddie and James Starks. He does need to throw the ball away and make quicker decisions. I can't remember but when the line held there ground for about 6 seconds, Aaron just sat there and I'm pretty sure he got sacked, I mean I know there secondary is good, but still gotta help his line out. You can't put blame on Aaron, everyone needs to do there part to win the game.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will freely admit that Rodgers as of late seems a little less "surgical" or "assassin-like"... less precise basically. I think that mostly has to do with the O-line not giving the protection he needs to set back in the pocket and deliver strikes. The O-line also needs to help out Lacy and Starks with running the ball... but think about that play where Rodgers LOOKED to be sacked, had the ball up in the air and he slipped out the sack, scrambled, and hit Randall Cobb for a first down. HUGE. I think the problem is more O-line and less Aaron Rodgers but being the QB, Rodgers gets MOST of the criticism.

Also, he was reluctant to scramble for 1st downs with that collar bone issue, and I understand that completely. However just one more field goal or touchdown would have sealed that game, especially the last field goal we got.

That being said, the defense didn't come up with the HUGE interception that would have made Kraepernick look like the back-up, flash- in- the- pan that he is. The defense allowed the TD pass to Vernon Davis (Had Burnettt had a 1 second-earlier jump on that play he would have tipped or picked that pass.)...

I guess the saying is true: you win and lose as a team.

Rodgers is a GREAT QB and he makes great plays when the play is seemingly broken. We need to draft some serious O-line and defense in 2014.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has lost some of the weapons he had last year, 2011, 2010.
No Jennings, No Driver, No Finley.

That doesn't help.

The 49ers defense is the best in the NFL, with that Front7 always healthy somehow.
That's a strong test.
They shut down Carolina, they shut down the Saints this year in New Orleans.

If we had our 2 first round picks at OT in Bulaga and Sherrod to neutralize that edge rush, it would be different. Teddy DID address this with his top picks in both 2010 and 2011.
You can't blame him for the OL at all.

Anyway, Rodgers has still been Godly but just not in the playoffs against SF, NYG.
Everyone has to raise their games.
Next year.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blame Duh Bears.
Not our QB for this loss.
If Air-Run hadn't been taken out by those ∞¶∆¬∫˜åß≥÷s then we would have dominated the North, gotten a 1st round bye which could have given injured players an extra week to mend and PO home field throughout.

I share in your frustration and I dunno what it's going to take to fix it so that we can get to the big game again.
I dunno but they will look at it and try their best to address it.
We just gotta leave it up to the pros and have faith that they know what they are doing.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's any solace.
Playoff wins don't mean squat unless the team that wins them also wins the big one.
So for right now, Colon Kraperknickers is overrated.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont blame arod d-line needed to stop them and gave up a lot yards krapit was able to make runs. They did okay up untill that point

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem isn't Aaron Rodgers.
The problem is the offensive line that the Packers haven't been able to develop.
Bulaga a 1st round pick?
He was terribly inconsistent at right tackle and we don;t know what he will be at left tackle.
Sherrod another 1st round pick?
We have no clue. He has basically been out of football for two years. Didn't look very good in the relatively few snaps he did play.
Sitton is good.
Lang is OK..
Bhak and Barclay look like they could develop.
This line can't pass protect, they can't run block. (Lacy gets alot of yards on his own)
And people want to blame Rodgers.
I won't even get in to the Packers crap defense.
It ain't Rodgers folks.

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he played pretty well in the Giants game, but he was clearly the 2nd best qb on the field these past two defeats to the niners.

Of course this is a slightly skewed perspective considering its Rodgers vs. 49er D compared with Kaepernick vs. Packer D.

This is coming from Rodgers Homer #1 (I'm a Norcal guy and was at Cal during the Rodgers era and became a Packers fan because of him)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers put the Packers in a position to win on Sunday. One defensive stop/int on the last series and Rodgers and co. would have been poised to take us to victory.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers hasnt turned over the ball much but he also stopped having 3 TD games.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron is playing against really good defenses and Aaron has to know he's carrying the team with that crap defense. He's lucky now he's got Eddie and James Starks. He does need to throw the ball away and make quicker decisions. I can't remember but when the line held there ground for about 6 seconds, Aaron just sat there and I'm pretty sure he got sacked, I mean I know there secondary is good, but still gotta help his line out. You can't put blame on Aaron, everyone needs to do there part to win the game.

I agree. I believe when he held the ball for a few seconds, though, he normally would have taken off. I know he had the 3rd and 5 run for a first down against the Bears, but he doesn't seem the same as far as escaping from a collapsed pocket. The collar bone is probably still tender. He should be back to normal by next season.

The defense, though, needs A LOT of work!

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i actually read AR's wiki page the other day, and i hadn't really realised just how impressive his stats were. maybe these facts have people thinking that he is infallable, unfortunately he is only human(i think) just like the rest of us, there is only so much he can make up for a poor o-line or a D thats giving up yard and points. he will get another SB ring, i'm sure of it, but he does need a bit of help from elsewhere in the team

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the best QB in the game. The same people that question him are the ones that talk about how "great" Brent was at 4th quarter "comebacks", without asking why the he## the Packers were in position to need that comeback! lol

....as in.... ahhhhhhhh...... "Had Brent not thrown 3 brutal interceptions to that point instead of taking the points we wouldn't have needed that "comeback'!

I'm not saying Rodgers is not capable of being "off" and making mistakes because he is. We need to understand however some "mistakes" are not nearly as they appear. That red zone interception against the Bears two weeks ago... the safety comes off of the tight end just completely guessing that Rodgers is not going to throw to the TE, even tough the TE has inside position... any decent player in that position would have been fighting to get inside of the TE but not the Bears crappy secondary! lol Now the second one against the Bears he threw behind Jordy and that was on him... of course...I read where many Packer fans were blaming Jordy for that one! :)

It's funny.... you'll notice that most of Rodgers interceptions come against crappy defenses. He's just extremely smart about reading defenses and knows where the defense is supposed to be and is correct 95% of the time. Many of his picks happen when a player is actually totally out of position.

As for not scoring red-zone TDs. I'm a fan of McCarthy's play calling and I think he does a great job. I thought his red zone calls the last three games SUCKED. I fail to see how running Cobb from the 9 yard line and losing a down is on Rodgers. I also think switching gears and not having J-Mike back there impacts the red zone big-time. They're going to need to either find another TE that can play that role or change their approach down there.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
11 guys play on offense and have no control over the other 11 guys on defense. Arod can only play with what he has. So, a patchy O-line, patchy D line, Patchy OLB,ILB and a sketchy DB corp......and we are blamming Rodgers? I don't think so. Not to mention missing our big target TE who is a mis-match for most teams to defend.... this falls on injury and defense more than any other one thing. Capers for being vanilla and not adapting to changing times, and defensive players for not executing properly. We scored enough points, for the most part considering key offensive weapon injuries, when Arod was in to win most games.....just our swiss cheese defense couldn't stop the bad guys from scoring at will. And 4th qtr comebacks is a crappy stat over all..... what does it really say? It says you were not good enough through the first 3 qtrs to get the job done and got lucky enough to make a couple throws in the 4th.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would point out the sacks Rodgers takes on occasion while staring down a deep route despite having a open receivers in first down range. Two of his sacks looked that way against SF. The trouble with Rodgers is that he's had a habit of trying to force big plays rather take what the Defense gives him. I think this is something that could and should be cleaned up with Coaches. If we're going to win another Super Bowl we need more disciplined play at quarterback.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would point out the sacks Rodgers takes on occasion while staring down a deep route despite having a open receivers in first down range. Two of his sacks looked that way against SF. The trouble with Rodgers is that he's had a habit of trying to force big plays rather take what the Defense gives him. I think this is something that could and should be cleaned up with Coaches. If we're going to win another Super Bowl we need more disciplined play at quarterback.

lmao.....seriously???????? For the past 4 years all we've heard from Packer fans is that Rodgers DOESN'T take shots enough up the field!!!!!!! 90% of what we all write on this forum are "opinions". THIS however is just whacked. Aaron Rodgers may be the most "disciplined" QB in all of football. TO - A - FAULT sometimes, A Aaron Rodgers will "take what the defense gives him".

With all due respect to a fellow Packer fan, you could not be more off on a statement if you tried.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give Aaron Rodgers a defense like Seattle, Carolina, or even the Jets and the Packers go deep into the playoffs every single year i guarantee it. The offense had some horrible drives Sunday but when the defense needed to make plays they didn't. If Bush keeps contain and doesn't try to be a hero Kap doesn't escape the pocket and pick up that first down. If Hyde catches an easy int that he will prolly catch 8 out of 10 times we are going to Carolina.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The offense had some horrible drives Sunday but when the defense needed to make plays they didn't.

Why is it when the def needed to make a play they didnt..

We dont hear when the offense needed a Td they didnt get it---

Why is it so hard to put the same amount of blame on the offense?

Last year vs the Niners I said the same thing..Rodgers had a bad game but people to afraid to admit it

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
One thing I was thinking about is this was Rodgers 2nd game back some chemistry was loss while he was out and its not like its immediately regained. I did think the Packers should of attempted more passes at the start of the 1st quarter yet it didn't happen. If the collar bone injury didn't happen then maybe he would of played a little more reckless and we'd had a game winning touchdown in the 4th quarter and praying the defense doesn't surrender a TD. There is a lot of if's. For a QB in the postseason I'd want Rodgers, we've seen Manning and Favre throw that critical interception, I haven't seen Rodgers do that, just a strip sack and we'd all agree its the oline's fault for that.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmao.....seriously???????? For the past 4 years all we've heard from Packer fans is that Rodgers DOESN'T take shots enough up the field!!!!!!! 90% of what we all write on this forum are "opinions". THIS however is just whacked. Aaron Rodgers may be the most "disciplined" QB in all of football. TO - A - FAULT sometimes, A Aaron Rodgers will "take what the defense gives him".

With all due respect to a fellow Packer fan, you could not be more off on a statement if you tried.

Get lost, Rodgers penchant for taking avoidable sacks have been frequently discussed on these forums among others. See Indianapolis last season, where he took a drive killing sack on the final possession after looking off an open Randall Cobb while trying to go deep.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77198/mailbag-time-in-pocket-for-all-nfcn-qbs

This author agrees with the counter argument, and I do on occasion. However, I'd also argue that in too many big moments Rodgers fails to make the right play while trying to attack defenses deep down the field. At least one of those drive killing sacks against San Francisco looked avoidable, as he had Nelson open on a post route 15 yards downfield.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
At least one of those drive killing sacks against San Francisco looked avoidable, as he had Nelson open on a post route 15 yards downfield.

Sometimes he cant see them, just like that int in the endzone vs the Bears..He didnt see the guy in front of Q

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get lost, Rodgers penchant for taking avoidable sacks have been frequently discussed on these forums among others. See Indianapolis last season, where he took a drive killing sack on the final possession after looking off an open Randall Cobb while trying to go deep.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77198/mailbag-time-in-pocket-for-all-nfcn-qbs

This author agrees with the counter argument, and I do on occasion. However, I'd also argue that in too many big moments Rodgers fails to make the right play while trying to attack defenses deep down the field. At least one of those drive killing sacks against San Francisco looked avoidable, as he had Nelson open on a post route 15 yards downfield.

I actually agree that in the game Sunday it sure looked like he passed up open receivers he should have taken underneath. I'm not saying he's NEVER done that. It's also possible that the game plan called for him to take more shots than normal to try to open up the Niners. We don't know. You are actually going back a full season to last year to point out he "has a problem" with this? Doesn't that kind of prove my point?

I'm just saying that you couldn't be more wrong in saying he "has an issue" with not taking what defenses give him. You said it's a problem he has. You could not be more wrong on a Packer subject if you tried. Aaron Rodgers is more willing to take what the defense gives him than damn near any QB in all of football!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Be honest here: Aaron Rodgers is the last “problem” the Packers have in the regular season or in the post season.

I’ll leave it to you to justify your statement “For the past 4 years all we've heard from Packer fans is that Rodgers DOESN'T take shots enough up the field!!!!!!!” That hasn’t been my experience so IMO you could not be more wrong about that. (BTW, three more exclamation marks and I may have been convinced.;)) Again it’s up to you to show us Packers fans have been criticizing Rodgers for not taking enough shots down the field, but here are some facts to counter that opinion:

Over the previous four regular seasons (not counting 2013 because Rodgers missed 7 games), the Packers have finished 10th, 6th, 2nd, and 9th in passes 20 yards and over. The average over those seasons was about 59. In passes 40 yards and over, they’ve finished 2nd, 6th, 2nd, and 12th, and the average was about 13. Some of those involved YAC but that’s true of all teams. Remember 2011? 70 plays 20 yards and over (an average of more than 4/game) and 16 pass completions of 40 yards and over (average of one/game). Those of course were only the completions, not the total deep targets. Rodgers’ average of 9.25 yards per attempt that season ranks fourth in the NFL since the merger. Remember the play action pass in which Rodgers took a very deep drop to the right, usually with Kuhn in front of him for protection? Most of the time Jordy was his target. Jordy’s average of 18.6 yards per catch that season ranks second in team history.

Members online

Latest posts