Rodgers playoffs since the Super Bowl

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
People need to stop referring to that playoff loss to Arizona and that strip/sack/fumble..... lets not forget that there was a blown call on that play.....Hmmm.....anyone remember that during the sack the defender face masked the **** out of rodgers and that was never called. If that call gets made, like it should have, we advance another 15 yards on a fresh set of downs....and we were moving the ball at will....we should have and would have won that game. Again, refs screwed us over. For those that dont remember or lack the ability to see that play, go google it or youtube it, it is plain as day.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed! That non-call of that facemask was amazing. There is simply no way that no refs on that play saw that! One of the worst calls I ever saw up until the fail mary.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Aaron" is 5-4 huh? Not the "Packers"? The Pack scored like 590 points against the Cards in that game a few years ago but that loss was on Rodgers huh? What would we be saying right now had Jones not dropped those passes or if Hyde had made that pick?

Any Packer fans that even want to hint that Aaron Rodgers is the issue really...and I mean REALLY needs to have his head examined.

As far as all these latest ramblings about him holding onto the ball too long...yes he does at times... but listen to Jaws or any former NFL QB talk about Rodgers and they say that's one of the things that makes him great. As Jaws says, unlike most QBs in the league, Rodgers head is scanning the field every second he drops back and he doesn't look down. Take the good....no... take the GREAT with the bad.

QB gets all the credit, and all the blame, like a pitcher in baseball.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People need to stop referring to that playoff loss to Arizona and that strip/sack/fumble..... lets not forget that there was a blown call on that play.....Hmmm.....anyone remember that during the sack the defender face masked the **** out of rodgers and that was never called. If that call gets made, like it should have, we advance another 15 yards on a fresh set of downs....and we were moving the ball at will....we should have and would have won that game. Again, refs screwed us over. For those that dont remember or lack the ability to see that play, go google it or youtube it, it is plain as day.
Oh I remember it, clearly. Call should have been made.
Still, Rodgers stood there too long like a deer in the headlights. The thing that he gets criticized for more than anything.

Doesn't he bare some blame for that on that play? You can't rely on the refs.

Also, doesn't he get some blame for misfiring to Jennings on the deep ball on the first play of overtime?
Would have won with that pass completed.
Or even underthrown.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still, Rodgers stood there too long like a deer in the headlights. The thing that he gets criticized for more than anything.

Also, doesn't he get some blame for misfiring to Jennings on the deep ball on the first play of overtime?
Or even underthrown.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Or even underthrown.

It's not fair to call him a deer in the headlights, but he does tend to look off open shorter routes while hunting for the big play. It's the same kind of aggressiveness that a lot of great players have, like Favre and Sanders. You just have to hope that Coaching gets him back under control and he adjusts his game.

Aaron does deserve some blame on occasion, but he doesn't deserve to be pilloried either. Of course I don't want it to be like it was under Favre where he'd set us back in the playoffs and then after the loss there'd be a legion of fans out and about attacking anyone who would dare to attach any sort of blame to Green Bay's saintly quarterback. Hopefully the members of this forum can reach a rational consensus.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes...Aaron Rodgers deserves blame for not being 100% perfect in that Arizona game and not putting up 800 yards and 1,000 points. Had he "just been able to do THAT", we win that game. lol

Some of us are trying waaaay to hard AND some of us are waaaaay too spoiled... after getting a Superbowl a few years back, now we expect them every year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Your phrases I've put in bold highlights say it all.

Both can be true, correct? Rodgers should have played better AND we knew the def wouldnt hold the Niners..Please dont try to make my words seem different than they are..

It is a team game and not one single part loses games, correct?? No one wants to blame Rodgers, only bring up the defense failing..That is my main point

Answer me this----177 yards 1 td and missing or not seeing wide open wr is ok for you?

Keep in mind---257 yards and 2 td is his average per game for his career...(94 games, 188 tds, 24197 yards)

I am sorry, but for him to play BELOW his own standard isnt good enough for me..

H

HardRightEdge

Both can be true, correct? Rodgers should have played better AND we knew the def wouldnt hold the Niners..Please dont try to make my words seem different than they are..

It is a team game and not one single part loses games, correct?? No one wants to blame Rodgers, only bring up the defense failing..That is my main point

Answer me this----177 yards 1 td and missing or not seeing wide open wr is ok for you?

Keep in mind---257 yards and 2 td is his average per game for his career...(94 games, 188 tds, 24197 yards)

I am sorry, but for him to play BELOW his own standard isnt good enough for me..

If you don't see the problem with those two statements put together I don't think I can help very much other to say perfection seems to be expected at the QB position to compensate for serious deficiencies elsewhere.

Besides, even if Rodgers had engineered a TD in the final possession, that would have been a 4 point lead. SF would then have been playing for a TD instead of a FG with a generous 5 minutes on the clock. The game would have come down to the DEFENSE regardless, and how much confidence do YOU have that the D would have kept them out of the end zone had that been SF's objective? I have little confidence in that. Now go back and reread those two statements put together.

You compare Rodgers averages to his SF game performance. Well, averages are against average teams. SF is arguably the best D in the game, Seattle notwithstanding (especially when on the road).

I agree he looks off short routes; I commented on that quite a bit last year, where he would look off a wide open Finley at 10 yards to throw past him to somebody in coverage at 20 yards which doesn't make a lot of sense. The thing is it's easy to see the ones that don't work and overlook the ones that do. Again, it a matter of expecting perfection. I would also point out that we now have 30 year old QB who's been doing what he does for some years now. If anybody expects change in this regard (there's that word "perfection" again) you might want to rethink that.

I had a back and forth with Ivo some time ago where I asserted that Rodgers is a particular kind of "gunslinger"...he looks down the field for the big play while having a knack for avoiding INTs. I'd not be trading that in.

Like it not, admit it not, but Rodgers played well enough to win even if his performance was not overwhelming.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't see the problem with those two statements put together I don't think I can help very much other to say perfection seems to be expected at the QB position to compensate for serious deficiencies elsewhere.

Besides, even if Rodgers had engineered a TD in the final possession, that would have been a 4 point lead. SF would then have been playing for a TD instead of a FG with a generous 5 minutes on the clock. The game would have come down to the DEFENSE regardless, and how much confidence do YOU have that the D would have kept them out of the end zone had that been SF's objective? I have little confidence in that.

You compare Rodgers averages to his SF game performance. Well, averages are against average teams. SF is arguably the best D in the game, Seattle notwithstanding (especially when on the road).

Like it not, admit it not, Rodgers played well enough to win.

I am not asking for perfection from Rodgers, but play to his average..

The Niners defense allowed on average 17 points per game, 1.1 passing tds and 227 yards per game.... Yet Rodgers was below those averages..

If the argument is the Niners D is so good, that is why it was okay for Rodgers to have 177 yards and one td..

Then the Pack defense shouldnt have held the Niners to 23 points, because they gave up 27 points per game..Defense played well below their average...

I had more confidence in the D no to give up a TD, than I did in them allowing the Niners just enough yardage for a FG

You think Rodgers played well enough, I dont

H

HardRightEdge

The Niners defense allowed on average 17 points per game, 1.1 passing tds and 227 yards per game.... Yet Rodgers was below those averages..

If the argument is the Niners D is so good, that is why it was okay for Rodgers to have 177 yards and one td..

Then the Pack defense shouldnt have held the Niners to 23 points, because they gave up 27 points per game..Defense played well below their average...

I had more confidence in the D no to give up a TD, than I did in them allowing the Niners just enough yardage for a FG

To quote MM from his postmortem press conference, "statistics are for losers". While I don't believe this to be strictly the case, just as he certainly does not, "blunt instrument" gross stats like those mean very little. Good defenses step up when needed; lesser ones do not. Theirs stopped us in the red zone; ours let them matriculate down the field.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
To quote MM from his postmortem press conference, "statistics are for losers". While I don't believe this to be strictly the case, just as he certainly does not, "blunt instrument" gross stats like those mean very little. Good defenses step up when needed; lesser ones do not. Theirs stopped us in the red zone; ours let them matriculate down the field.

I bet you MM uses stats when it comes to % on down and distances..

We do hear good offenses or good quarterbacks step up when needed...Keep in mind 177 yards and 1 td isnt stepping it up in my book...

Maybe it would be better to say MM's play calling sucks, and that might be why Rodgers didnt play up to his standards...But Rodgers has the option to chance the play

I dont want this to be lost in all this back and forth crap..

I think Rodgers was just okay, but we needed more..Our def did far far better then expected but we also needed them to do more..Once again both sides could have done better...As it is a team game

I am done with this now, we just have to disagree on our expectations.

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`d have to agree but think being back after the injury had a little something to do with it.

I

Jeez, I think our defense played a great game considering how poor they`d been during the season. Lets be fair here

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard on Mike and Mike this morning that San Fran was at the top of the NFL in big play differential. They got something like 28 more big plays than they gave up. That is significant. 28?

Think about this Packer game. Our defense really did play well and despite what some here what to suggest, Kaperpunknuts did NOT play an amazing game by any means. What he did do was make 3 big plays and that was the difference.

Like I said earlier, any team that eliminates big plays against them beats them and will make them look really bad. This guy is not going to beat you throwing the ball. He will however do just enough with his arm to beat you with his legs if you give him the chance.

H

HardRightEdge

Jeez, I think our defense played a great game considering how poor they`d been during the season. Lets be fair here

You missed the point and hit the nail on the head all at the same time!

1. You cannot rag on Rodgers, as many have in this thread, for "failing" to deliver in crunch time without acknowledging that in the end, when it mattered, the defense could not step up.

2. You said the defense played great considering how poorly they played during the season. There should be no "considering" here...either they played great of they didn't.

Memories seem to be short. People have forgotten how we won the SB. Woodson went down and the Steelers took over momentum in the second half; we were looking low on gas and they were looking like they'd take over the game. Then Matthews made a play, perhaps the greatest single defensive play in Packer history, and turned the tide.

There was no play making on the final SF drive and we lost. I don't see how anybody can be particularly happy with that.

I

You missed the point and hit the nail on the head all at the same time!

1. You cannot rag on Rodgers, as many have in this thread, for "failing" to deliver in crunch time without acknowledging that in the end, when it mattered, the defense could not step up.

2. You said the defense played great considering how poorly they played during the season. There should be no "considering" here...either they played great of they didn't.

Memories seem to be short. People have forgotten how we won the SB. Woodson went down and the Steelers took over momentum in the second half; we were looking low on gas and they were looking like they'd take over the game. Then Matthews made a play, perhaps the greatest single defensive play in Packer history, and turned the tide.

There was no play making on the final SF drive and we lost. I don't see how anybody can be particularly happy with that.

I never said I was happy with anything here to my knowledge. I merely said that considering how poorly they had played previously do not deserve ALL the blame for the loss. The offense didn`t play the as well as they could do. This was a TEAM loss, no particular unit deserves critisism more than another. We obviously see it slightly differently and that is fine. I PERSONALLY was not as unhappy with the defense EFFORT on the day. I said on a previous thread that I wondered if Rodgers was not impaired slightly by the injury, and the effect the cold had on that injury ? We`ll never know will we honestly. It`s obvious that we disagree on this which is cool, but I dont believe the defense was totally to blame for the loss. Maybe the wording wasn`t clear enough. And I dont think its wrong to critize Rodgers if he deserves it, which some seem to think is some sort of heinous crime. Hopefully next year it will turn out different for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said I was happy with anything here to my knowledge. I merely said that considering how poorly they had played previously do not deserve ALL the blame for the loss. The offense didn`t play the as well as they could do. This was a TEAM loss, no particular unit deserves critisism criticism more than another. We obviously see it slightly differently and that is fine. I PERSONALLY was not as unhappy with the defense EFFORT on the day. I said on a previous thread that I wondered if Rodgers was not impaired slightly by the injury, and the effect the cold had on that injury ? We`ll never know will we honestly. It`s obvious that we disagree on this which is cool, but I dont believe the defense was totally to blame for the loss. Maybe the wording wasn`t clear enough.
You're right about that.
I just (painfully) rewatched the game, and a lot of things stood out to me.

Every time we scored to take the lead, or tie it, our defense let the Niners come down and score right away. Like a tennis match, we couldn't ever get a break of serve because our defense did not stop them in those opportunities.
On the other hand, our offense starting the game and coming out of half? Horrible. We put up goose-eggs in the 1st & 3rd quarters. Atrocious.
And, both ends, the end of the first half, and the end of the game (our final drive) we had 1st downs inside the 10, and guess what? We totaled 6 points, not 10 or 14. NEED TOUCHDOWNS, not field goals.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is probably the most complete qb in the history of the NFL and that has nothing to do with being a Packers fan. Combine his arm talent, accuracy, and legs to any other Qb who was considered great or even in the Hall of Fame and the only guy who is even remotely close to Rodgers is not Joe Montana who many consider the GOAT but the guy who replaced him in Steve Young...as Rodgers has a much stronger arm. The only issue i have ever had with Rodgers is yes he can hold the ball to long at times and it drives me nutts. But when you have all his physical tools theres not a play on the field that you don't think you can make... and sometimes that gets him into trouble. But hey, throwing a pick doesn't give you a chance to fight another down so i'll take that over forcing a ball into coverage.

I

You're right about that.
I just (painfully) rewatched the game, and a lot of things stood out to me.

Every time we scored to take the lead, or tie it, our defense let the Niners come down and score right away. Like a tennis match, we couldn't ever get a break of serve because our defense did not stop them in those opportunities.
On the other hand, our offense starting the game and coming out of half? Horrible. We put up goose-eggs in the 1st & 3rd quarters. Atrocious.
And, both ends, the end of the first half, and the end of the game (our final drive) we had 1st downs inside the 10, and guess what? We totaled 6 points, not 10 or 14. NEED TOUCHDOWNS, not field goals.

Thanks for correcting my spelling there ;). I`m no football pundit and don`t know as much as you guys obviously, but I just think it`s unfair to blame this loss totally on the defense. If they`d have played some of the earlier season games with the same heart, and thats the big thing...heart, we may have avoided the wildcard game in the first place. :tup:

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for correcting my spelling there ;). I`m no football pundit and don`t know as much as you guys obviously, but I just think it`s unfair to blame this loss totally on the defense. If they`d have played some of the earlier season games with the same heart, and thats the big thing...heart, we may have avoided the wildcard game in the first place. :tup:
You are 100% correct on that.

I'd breakdown the blame for the loss like this if I could:

Rodgers -25%
Playcalling on Offense -30%
Defense -35%
Playcalling on Defense -5%

(You math-majors might be wondering where the other 5% went..... always have to give some credit/blame to the zebras)
(And if injuries were factored in, they'd get 40%)

H

HardRightEdge

I never said I was happy with anything here to my knowledge. I merely said that considering how poorly they had played previously do not deserve ALL the blame for the loss. The offense didn`t play the as well as they could do. This was a TEAM loss, no particular unit deserves critisism more than another. We obviously see it slightly differently and that is fine. I PERSONALLY was not as unhappy with the defense EFFORT on the day. I said on a previous thread that I wondered if Rodgers was not impaired slightly by the injury, and the effect the cold had on that injury ? We`ll never know will we honestly. It`s obvious that we disagree on this which is cool, but I dont believe the defense was totally to blame for the loss. Maybe the wording wasn`t clear enough. And I dont think its wrong to critize Rodgers if he deserves it, which some seem to think is some sort of heinous crime. Hopefully next year it will turn out different for us.
It's not a heinous crime to criticize Rodgers play against SF. It's just misguided.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You are 100% correct on that.

I'd breakdown the blame for the loss like this if I could:

Rodgers -25%
Playcalling on Offense -30%
Defense -35%
Playcalling on Defense -5%

I would just say offense 33.3333
special teams 33.3333
defense 33.3333

We forget that Crosby hit a ko to the very corner of the goal line after the Kuhn td and our ST unit allowed them to bring it back to the 37 or so..4 plays later, they got the Vernon Davis TD

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts