Rodgers broken collar bone.. Season ending??

Cheese Meister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yesterday's Minneapolis Star Tribune had, on the front page of the sports section, the headline "LEFT 'EM HURTING," showing Rodgers lying on his back and Hunter congratulating Barr. Now, the two players at that time did not know the severity of Rodgers injury, but for the news editor to have that photo on the front page after the fact is a bit crass.

We have a new Brett for a quarterback. I'm going to sit back and see what happens.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I knew I had to cheer for a team for a decade that had Rodgers or Eli Manning at quarterback I know who is pick every single time.

As with almost everything here, it's all subjective and relative. I have a tough time caring about all the division titles the Pack has, but I can certainly relate their SB experiences. A number of years from now, the two SB wins for a team with a borderline great QB would be more satisfying than the one win with perhaps the GOAT - for me.

D

Deleted member 6794

The season is far from over. They are tied atop a division that consists of zero complete football teams - the Lions have an offense without a defense, the Vikings have a defense without an offense, and the Bears are the Bears. No team will run away with the NFC North. Broken collarbones typically last 6-8 weeks, and with this one being on his throwing shoulder it could be longer. In either case, we could be in store for a similar situation as 2013, when he came back to clinch a playoff berth in week 17.

Unfortunately the Packers might as well be a team with an offense and a defense for the rest of this season.

2013 is evidence why I don't think McCarthy can lead this team without 12.

I truly believe that no head coach would be able to lead the Packers close to a championship without Rodgers for most of the season.

Even as a wildcard, you only need to win 3 road games. Sure, it’s more difficult, but it is far from impossible. Or have we as fans already forgotten our last Super Bowl? If they make the playoffs, Rodgers will likely be back under center by then. He may even have had a game or two under his belt to get back into things. This isn’t a team you count out until they’re actually out.

It seems a lot of posters around here are way too optimistic about Rodgers' chances to play again this season.

And yet we still won the division in 2013, and just like that year, there isn't a juggernaut team in this division that guarantees that a 9-7 or so record won't get it done again.

While the Packers might win another five games over the rest of the regular season with Hundley starting it's unlikely that would be enough to win the division once again.

That seems like a very “woe is me” way of living your life. There are 32 teams in the NFL, and 12 make the playoffs every year. To think your team should win the SB every year, or even win just because they made the playoffs, is borderline absurd. How is it not enough that we’ve been witness to winning seasons almost every year for two decades?

It's definitely impossible to win the Super Bowl every single season even while having a HOF quarterback. The Packers having won only two championships over the past 25 years with Favre and Rodgers starting is disappointing though.

Yeah, the Trevathon his was dirty as f***

I was surprised it wasn't worse of a suspension, no one is arguing there

The league suspended Trevathan for a game.

Hawk was great! But he's a 4-3 guy. The 3-4 was never his best fit

Hawk didn't put up numbers justifying him being drafted fifth overall early in his career with the Packers running a 4-3 either though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It seems a lot of posters around here are way too optimistic about Rodgers' chances to play again this season.

Agreed. Because the break occurred to his throwing shoulder, AR will not have the luxury of using that arm for quite some time. In 2013, he broke his left collarbone, which allowed him to at least keep his right arm strength up and in limited use during the recovery process. When you read what the so called experts are saying, 3 months (Jan. 15th) would probably be the earliest AR would be back and that is with a "rusty" arm. Also, that recovery time will be dictated by where the actual break is and how severe it is. I haven't seen that information released yet.

Would be interesting, if somehow Hundley plays well enough to guide the Packers into the playoffs, if he is playing well, do you pull him in favor of inserting Rodgers who may not even be close to 100%? Sadly, I don't think the Packers will have to face that decision.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, one thing I think we can all agree on is that the Packers have better information than us as to the extent of the injury and prognosis for both when he can start throwing again and when he could potentially play.

Also, this is Aaron Rodgers we're talking about. Even if he's only able to build back arm strength to say, 80% by playoff time, that's still better than many QBs at 100%, and his arm strength will likely progress if the Packers continue to advance in the playoffs.

I still have yet to hear any reasonable explanation why, if the Packers are as certain as many of us that Rodgers won't return, they did not immediately place him on IR as we need every roster spot we can get at this point. Heck even if they were only certain he'd miss at least 8 weeks they could have gone ahead and placed him on IR.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers’ break also occurred two weeks further into the season last time around. Also, surgery (if successful) should shorten the recovery time needed. It wouldn’t be a surprise if he’s able to start strength and conditioning on his right side in 4-6 weeks. Clearly he won’t be 100% when he comes back from a long injury, because who ever is? But to think he won’t touch the weight room for three months is a little over-pessimistic.

All talk about Rodgers aside, the people acting like the sky is falling are basing their expectations of Brett Hundley on a relief stint against a very strong defense. With a week to actually take first team reps, and develop a game plan around him actually playing, I’m fully confident that we’ll be looking at 5-2 a week from now. We have Montgomery getting healthier, Aaron Jones, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Bennett, the other Rodgers.. we aren’t hurting for weapons. And our defense is playing far better than they’re getting credit for, especially when King is in the game.

This is a team that can still get 10 or 11 wins, and you can hold me to that 11 weeks from now.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rodgers’ break also occurred two weeks further into the season last time around. Also, surgery (if successful) should shorten the recovery time needed. It wouldn’t be a surprise if he’s able to start strength and conditioning on his right side in 4-6 weeks. Clearly he won’t be 100% when he comes back from a long injury, because who ever is? But to think he won’t touch the weight room for three months is a little over-pessimistic.

All talk about Rodgers aside, the people acting like the sky is falling are basing their expectations of Brett Hundley on a relief stint against a very strong defense. With a week to actually take first team reps, and develop a game plan around him actually playing, I’m fully confident that we’ll be looking at 5-2 a week from now. We have Montgomery getting healthier, Aaron Jones, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Bennett, the other Rodgers.. we aren’t hurting for weapons. And our defense is playing far better than they’re getting credit for, especially when King is in the game.

This is a team that can still get 10 or 11 wins, and you can hold me to that 11 weeks from now.

Hope you are right, but you might want to look at our defense, the health of the OL, what Monty has done so far this year, as well as what Hundley has actually done during regular season games, before you get too optimistic.

I'm a Packer fan, I hope Hundley guides this team to the playoffs and somehow AR returns to finish off a storybook like ending in the Super Bowl. But I am also a realist, I don't expect any of that to happen.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense wasn't terrible in that game. Short fields and no offense behind them. They gave up a couple big plays, they made a couple plays. An INT and a fumble recovery. The vikings were like 3 of 12 or 14 or something on 3rd downs. That's not horrible defense. That's not win a game for us defense, but if you have an offense moving the ball helping them, it is help us win some game defense.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel sick for Rodgers. One of my favorite players to watch.

I sincerely hope the Packers don’t rush him back in an effort to save the season.

Let the man heal completely. I say this because Dallas did the same thing with Romo in 2015 because they couldn’t win without him. They rushed him back and he just got hurt again.

Now obviously Rodgers is way more durable than Romo, but still if you bring him back too soon he’ll be suseptible to reinjury.

If I’m Green Bay the one thing I’d look to address is that OL. Not only do you improve the pass protection for your quarterback, but also make your team more balanced and when he returns will have less of a burden.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with almost everything here, it's all subjective and relative. I have a tough time caring about all the division titles the Pack has, but I can certainly relate their SB experiences. A number of years from now, the two SB wins for a team with a borderline great QB would be more satisfying than the one win with perhaps the GOAT - for me.
That is such an interesting question. The Rodgers vs. Manning question isn't really a fair comparison because Eli's first Super Bowl came in the Favre era. And Manning is such an odd example, the guy is horrible, except every few years when he wins a Super Bowl. Strange case. But it's true the championships are what stand the test of time. Would you trade some of Green Bay's 13 championships for getting to watch Dan Marino for 17 years? Would you trade places with the Lions just so you could watch Barry Sanders play? I'm going to say most likely not.

I think the question isn't really so much about watching Rodgers play, as it is about the sustained level of the team's success. Would you rather win two Super Bowls but be out of contention for eight other years, or would you rather be in the playoffs every year, even if you never win? But we do have one Super Bowl in there, so that sweetens the pot. The Giants have four Super Bowl wins since '86, the Packers have two in that span. Yet (I would think) the perception is GB has been more successful because they've been in it almost every year.

Don't know what the answer is, but it's a good question.

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The past is past. Gone, and irrelevant. As for tomorrow, it never comes. All we have is the now of watching an exciting Packer game.

We have a new QB, who's likely at this very moment, drilling with his teammates for the next game. We may not get to the SB this season, but we can enjoy the journey as far as it takes us.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a new QB, who's likely at this very moment, drilling with his teammates for the next game. We may not get to the SB this season, but we can enjoy the journey as far as it takes us.
I'm for that, I'm looking forward to seeing what Hundley can do. We were 2-4-1 without Rodgers in 2013, so I'm looking to see some improvement on that.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is such an interesting question. The Rodgers vs. Manning question isn't really a fair comparison because Eli's first Super Bowl came in the Favre era. And Manning is such an odd example, the guy is horrible, except every few years when he wins a Super Bowl. Strange case. But it's true the championships are what stand the test of time. Would you trade some of Green Bay's 13 championships for getting to watch Dan Marino for 17 years? Would you trade places with the Lions just so you could watch Barry Sanders play? I'm going to say most likely not.

I think the question isn't really so much about watching Rodgers play, as it is about the sustained level of the team's success. Would you rather win two Super Bowls but be out of contention for eight other years, or would you rather be in the playoffs every year, even if you never win? But we do have one Super Bowl in there, so that sweetens the pot. The Giants have four Super Bowl wins since '86, the Packers have two in that span. Yet (I would think) the perception is GB has been more successful because they've been in it almost every year.

Hands down I would rather watch the Packers’ last two decades over a team like the Giants. Even if Rodgers never wins another SB, even though I think he will, I will have been glad to be witness of his career. Nothing beats sustained success.

As a Packer fan nowadays, do you even remember what it feels like to not care about the season anymore after week 6 or 7?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's Aaron's X ray.. Bit was on a site talking about the injury..

Then I saw this... Lol
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Beagle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel sick for Rodgers. One of my favorite players to watch.

I sincerely hope the Packers don’t rush him back in an effort to save the season.

Let the man heal completely. I say this because Dallas did the same thing with Romo in 2015 because they couldn’t win without him. They rushed him back and he just got hurt again.

Now obviously Rodgers is way more durable than Romo, but still if you bring him back too soon he’ll be suseptible to reinjury.

If I’m Green Bay the one thing I’d look to address is that OL. Not only do you improve the pass protection for your quarterback, but also make your team more balanced and when he returns will have less of a burden.

It says something that two Cowboys fans can say this about Rogers, considering the fact that he's buried us the last few times we've played.
I echo my colleagues opinion that the Packers need to avoid doing a Romo and finishing Rogers off by bringing him back early, and I've got to agree with beefing up your OL, with a player like Rogers you've got to keep him safe.

Will be interesting to see how the Pack go without him, nice of you to give the rest of your division a chance

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The past is past. Gone, and irrelevant. As for tomorrow, it never comes. All we have is the now of watching an exciting Packer game.

I know you're new to this forum, but it appears you're new to sports fandom, in general, too. If you think the past is irrelevant, see how many of us can quote chapter and verse about league championships from before when many were born, heartbreaking plays from years ago, et.al. The past is VERY much alive for most sports fans.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's call a spade a spade here: The season is done. Anyone else wanna try and make a case it isn't? Pending A.R is out for the season....

Rodgers defiantly not out for season unless the team is eliminated from playoff contention in 8 weeks or so. He came back in 7 weeks from his last broken collarbone. If Hundley can go 4-4 as the starter. The packers would be 8-6 when Rodgers returns and likely still strongly in contention for the division with games against Detroit and Minnesota remaining. I say they beat the saints, lions, bears, Browns, and ravens and lose to Steelers, Tampa bay, and Carolina. That would put them at 9-5 when Rodgers returns to lead the team to the super bowl.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know....

Aaron is a tough guy but that didn't look bad enough to be another broken collarbone... I feel it would have been more painful for him and he would have been grabbing at it more...

I'm still hoping for a stinger or strain or sprain or something

Nah I didn't see it live but when I saw it the first time a few minutes later. i said damn he broke his collarbone again. You could see it in his face, he knew immediately too

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Rodgers defiantly not out for season unless the team is eliminated from playoff contention in 8 weeks or so. .

I agree with this. I've heard the Romo injury brought up and he had a different procedure done where they actually removed part of the collarbone. It wasn't the ******** it back together and fusing it option that provides a lower risk of re-injury. Then it comes down to throwing the football. In one month from a successful fusion surgery to the collarbone it is likely that the person will be able to run and lift weights. This isn't a labrum or ligament or tendon surgery to shoulder which I personally had done last March. If it was they would of IR'd him already. Even with that much more serious surgery I was totally pain free and active doing normal activity within 12 weeks. There was also no risk of re-injury.

Will Rodgers be a 100 percent in 8-10 weeks? Probably not. However I don't think it is unrealistic to believe he would be able to play at 80-90 percent. This is all assuming there would be no setbacks in the recovery process.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yesterday's Minneapolis Star Tribune had, on the front page of the sports section, the headline "LEFT 'EM HURTING," showing Rodgers lying on his back and Hunter congratulating Barr. Now, the two players at that time did not know the severity of Rodgers injury, but for the news editor to have that photo on the front page after the fact is a bit crass.

We have a new Brett for a quarterback. I'm going to sit back and see what happens.

It makes trolling them when i'm in the Cities more enjoyable when we win though

If they have to do that when someone gets HURT then...

This is the same team with Culpepper, Burleson and Onterrio Smith
Also you got a lot of TCU up there which I also hate as I went to SMU back in the day...

Honestly, no body likes their athletes or teams, about as UNclassy as it gets

Ironically though, Kevin Garnett(when on the Wolves) and Mauer(who is still on the Twins) are SUPER SUPER good, respectable human beings... but their teams are never really any good so lol

Members online

Latest posts