Rodgers broken collar bone.. Season ending??

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I just disagree with the whole "season is done" sentiment through and through
are we making the playoffs now? highly doubt it
but there is still football to watch, guys are going to try their best to improve and make plays, adjustments are still going to be made
nothing about this season is "done"
Agreed. I may grumble more than usual, but hell will freeze over before I give up on this team.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
It's not even a backup QB. It's a 3rd string QB, who looked like the next coming off Joe Montana on that huge 84 yard drive after we rallied to tie 7-7 and took all momentum for the rest of the game.

For the game, 351 total yards, with a 3rd string QB, and without their only real offensive weapon. Can't imagine what the Saints will do.

I swear, the lengths people will go to to defend Dommy and this D.
Hey, I got Brees on my Fantasy Football team. Michael Thomas, too. I smell a victory coming my way!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1997 First team in NFL history to lose Super Bowl as double digit favorite
1998 The catch 2 ending any hope of a dynasty in addition to the fumble by Jerry Rice a few plays earlier
2001 Favre 6 pick game

I'm re-framing the mindset of your list:
1997 13-3
1998 11-5
2001 12-4
2002 12-4
2003 10-6
2004 10-6
2007 13-3
2009 11-5
2011 15-1
2012 11-5
2013 8-7-1
2014 12-4
2015 10-6
2016 10-6
2017 4-2

162 wins vs 67 losses

Something is wrong with you if you can't see the forest through the trees. That's a lot of happy Sundays, Mondays, and Thursday nights over the last twenty years of my life. Sure I would have liked more playoff wins and championships, but man it's been a great ride! If you follow a team that regularly wins and that still makes you sad......

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hundley has the makings of a Dak Prescott, or Texans rookie Watson. Come out unproven, and prove they belong. Hundley has the advantage of 3 years in the same system.

on your first sentence: not even close.

on your third sentence: a system which they'll change and taylor for him. it won't look like the Rodgers O at all. he's not as mobile, athletic, or cocky, as AR and you can probably forget the "free-play" scenario.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...st-option-for-aaron-rodgers-broken-collarbone

If Aaron Rodgers has surgery to repair his broken collarbone, it could help facilitate a return before this season is over.

While surgery would be far more invasive than just rest and recovery, it might be the best option for the Green Bay Packers quarterback.

“Actually, surgery would accelerate the recovery, not the other way around,” ESPN injury analyst Stephania Bell said. “You can begin moving much sooner because the fracture is stabilized by the hardware.”

bfallona

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Bronco's newbie here. Just signed up to post this. Long time NFL fan from the 50's. My Brother-in-Law is a lifelong GB fan along with his 40 yr old son & his recently deceased Dad ( who passed at age 99 loving the Pack & watching a game a few hours before he past). Always respected the Pack and even got to see Bart Starr during a game in TB years ago ( he was on the sideline with the team). Anyhoo, with Rogers out for the year I would suggest that anyone who has a connection with the team tell them to grab Kyle Sloter off the Vikes PS. I saw this guy kill it during preseason & for a lot of reasons, Elway tried to sign him to our PS, but the Vikes decided to pay him almost starting NFL pay to stick him on their PS. But the rules as I know it are if he is not on your roster you can lose him to a team willing to put him on an active roster. Elway is being stubborn sticking with Trevor, Brock & Paxton - none of who outplayed Sloter this year. Good luck.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1997 13-3
1998 11-5
2001 12-4
2002 12-4
2003 10-6
2004 10-6
2007 13-3
2009 11-5
2011 15-1
2012 11-5
2013 8-7-1
2014 12-4
2015 10-6
2016 10-6
2017 4-2

162 wins vs 67 losses

Something is wrong with you if you can't see the forest through the trees. That's a lot of happy Sundays, Mondays, and Thursday nights over the last twenty years of my life. Sure I would have liked more playoff wins and championships, but man it's been a great ride! If you follow a team that regularly wins and that still makes you sad......

Once again, it's all about expectation. The 70s and 80s didn't bother me all that much, as I knew, going in, that they weren't winning the trophy. Hence, many individual games, often several in a season, were our SBs - knocking off a specific rival, keeping another team from the playoffs, that sort of thing. For way too long, the Packers have been like an NBA team - wade through the regular season, (almost guaranteed) make the playoffs, then settle down and see who wins the only thing that counts - the Lombardi. Not a baseball guy, but I was thinking about Cubs fans - a couple of years ago, how joyful would they be to participate in a second playoff series? This year, how bummed will they be with anything less than the World Series?

To paraphrase the above, if you follow a team that is constantly in the playoffs, gets knocked out early, and that still makes you happy....

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those are some landmark hearbreaking moments for sure. I guess the only thing I can say is that they were good enough to be in position to have those heartbreaking moments. If they were sitting at home out of the playoffs, they wouldn't have had those big games.

It's interesting that you said 2014 was the saddest sports moment in your life. I'm not sure it was the saddest for me because at a certain point I just knew they were going to blow it, I'm trying to think of a worse one. I think I might have taken losing the Super Bowl in '97 harder, because as you say we were huge favorites (although I looked at the Denver team, and I thought it was a mistake that we were favored so heavily). The NFC had won 13 straight Super Bowls at the time, so we were the one to blow the streak. Also, the Broncos had never won a Super Bowl at that time, and we had never lost one, so both those streaks were done. Ron Wolf made his "fart in the wind" comment, and it really did feel like the end of something, and it was. We had the chance to be a small dynasty, and blew it. It was a good game though.

I can see if you want to say 97 Super Bowl, but the first year I started watching was that year in 97. It didn't bother me as much since I literally just started watching. Blowing a 12 point lead with 2:15 left takes the cake for me.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cleveland fan? You shoulda mentioned the Cowboys. As dominant as they were in the 90s, just go to your typical diehard fan there and they'll have some kind of heartbreak to complain about in recent times.

Or how bout the Falcons fans? They've had more good seasons crash n burn in flames plus last year's Superbowl than any other team in league history.

This Lambeau Lombardi dude is clueless.

But most of those Cleveland and Dallas (and most Falcons teams) didn't have the talent to win big games. We have the greatest football player I have ever seen and he only has one ring.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To paraphrase the above, if you follow a team that is constantly in the playoffs, gets knocked out early, and that still makes you happy....
Getting knocked out of the playoffs doesn't make anyone happy. The point is there is still a lot to cheer about in a season. Believe it or not, the Packers winning and losing has ansolutely zero consequence in your life. 7th game 2015 did we win or loose? What does it matter? Absolutely nothing.

There are far more important things in life. Why get so worked up about something that is meaningless and has zero consequence?

In the end, I had a great time watch some great games and great plays while some fans are only sick and distraught over the lack of a Superbowl win, something that has no consequence and they have no control over.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the other direction this thread has gone (what the Pack should do and if the season is over): as McCarthy stated, Brett Hundley is the quarterback. We as fans should at least give that one full week before passing judgement. Not one of us has seen him play an NFL game with a game plan that revolves around him being in the game.

The season is far from over. They are tied atop a division that consists of zero complete football teams - the Lions have an offense without a defense, the Vikings have a defense without an offense, and the Bears are the Bears. No team will run away with the NFC North. Broken collarbones typically last 6-8 weeks, and with this one being on his throwing shoulder it could be longer. In either case, we could be in store for a similar situation as 2013, when he came back to clinch a playoff berth in week 17.

R-E-L-A-X, give Hundley a chance, and enjoy the rest of the season.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude get a crying towel. I was around for the 80's where we had 1 playoff season during a strike...and 1 close call where we got eliminated because of a Vikings win...hell my first 12 years as a fan weren't that great, and I'm here to tell you other fans here have it worse cause they remember the 70's! Grow up, sports aren't for those who still need their mommy to blow their nose, cut their food or wipe them.
The difference between now and the 80s is that in the 80s you didn't get kicked in the nuts like you do now with the playoffs. I think the question that needs to be asked, would you rather be the Giants the last 15 years, miss the playoffs most years but have 2 Super Bowls. OR would you rather be the Pack, consistently make the playoffs winning around 10 games but having 1 Super Bowl. I think I'd take the Giants resume in this case. Playoff appearances are quickly forgotten, Super Bowls never go away.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to realize the Packers aren't in the middle of a Super Bowl run anymore if Rodgers is lost for the season. They might be good enough to win some games and somehow sneak into the playoffs though, possibly giving #12 a chance to play again nearly 12 weeks from now.
Problem is that I really thought this team could go to the Super Bowl if they had home field with 12. Now that's a laughable scenario to think about.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the other direction this thread has gone (what the Pack should do and if the season is over): as McCarthy stated, Brett Hundley is the quarterback. We as fans should at least give that one full week before passing judgement. Not one of us has seen him play an NFL game with a game plan that revolves around him being in the game.

The season is far from over. They are tied atop a division that consists of zero complete football teams - the Lions have an offense without a defense, the Vikings have a defense without an offense, and the Bears are the Bears. No team will run away with the NFC North. Broken collarbones typically last 6-8 weeks, and with this one being on his throwing shoulder it could be longer. In either case, we could be in store for a similar situation as 2013, when he came back to clinch a playoff berth in week 17.

R-E-L-A-X, give Hundley a chance, and enjoy the rest of the season.
2013 is evidence why I don't think McCarthy can lead this team without 12. I wish I was optimistic as you, I just don't see it. And if they make the playoffs they aren't a good road team. Had a great chance at a superbowl 27 hours ago with Rodgers and home field possibility looking good.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference between now and the 80s is that in the 80s you didn't get kicked in the nuts like you do now with the playoffs. I think the question that needs to be asked, would you rather be the Giants the last 15 years, miss the playoffs most years but have 2 Super Bowls. OR would you rather be the Pack, consistently make the playoffs winning around 10 games but having 1 Super Bowl. I think I'd take the Giants resume in this case. Playoff appearances are quickly forgotten, Super Bowls never go away.
If I knew I had to cheer for a team for a decade that had Rodgers or Eli Manning at quarterback I know who is pick every single time.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2013 is evidence why I don't think McCarthy can lead this team without 12. I wish I was optimistic as you, I just don't see it. And if they make the playoffs they aren't a good road team. Had a great chance at a superbowl 27 hours ago with Rodgers and home field possibility looking good.
Even as a wildcard, you only need to win 3 road games. Sure, it’s more difficult, but it is far from impossible. Or have we as fans already forgotten our last Super Bowl? If they make the playoffs, Rodgers will likely be back under center by then. He may even have had a game or two under his belt to get back into things. This isn’t a team you count out until they’re actually out.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1997 13-3
1998 11-5
2001 12-4
2002 12-4
2003 10-6
2004 10-6
2007 13-3
2009 11-5
2011 15-1
2012 11-5
2013 8-7-1
2014 12-4
2015 10-6
2016 10-6
2017 4-2

162 wins vs 67 losses

This to me just says we have had like 15 chances at a Super Bowl and couldn't come through more than once. Over the years I've enjoyed the regular season wins and a few postseason wins, but 30 years from now the only record people give a **** about is Super Bowls. I don't like how people see it like this, but it's true. With Rodgers and Favre if you don't win the Super Bowl, your didn't reach your ultimate goal and it's beyond frustrating at this point. Ten years from now (if we have just 1 or 2 super bowls in Rodgers era), we'll be sitting back saying what if as we trot out the 20th best quarterback in the league because it's beyond amazing we've had 2 1st ballot hall of fame qbs in a row. A 3rd one is just dreaming.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Getting knocked out of the playoffs doesn't make anyone happy. The point is there is still a lot to cheer about in a season. Believe it or not, the Packers winning and losing has ansolutely zero consequence in your life. 7th game 2015 did we win or loose? What does it matter? Absolutely nothing.

There are far more important things in life. Why get so worked up about something that is meaningless and has zero consequence?

In the end, I had a great time watch some great games and great plays while some fans are only sick and distraught over the lack of a Superbowl win, something that has no consequence and they have no control over.
Your point is well taken, but I will never forget the 7th game of the 2015 season. Immediately knew which one you were talking about. Didn't do anything for me personally, but was the beginning of a not so flattering stretch of football for our guys that added up to about a year's time.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Even as a wildcard, you only need to win 3 road games. Sure, it’s more difficult, but it is far from impossible. Or have we as fans already forgotten our last Super Bowl? If they make the playoffs, Rodgers will likely be back under center by then. He may even have had a game or two under his belt to get back into things. This isn’t a team you count out until they’re actually out.

No you don't count them out. Were in a better spot then 2013 as its earlier in the season for this injury to heal, Hundley is farther along then Tolzien and more talented then Flynn, and some believe this defense will actually be pretty good by the end of season including myself.

Time to buy a Hundley jersey and let it ride!

GPG!

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your optimistic look bringing back the 2010 season as evidence winning on the road, but as we've seen losing on the road in the playoffs in 2012, 14,15, and 16, it's not sustainable. If Atlanta plays us in Lambeau last year I think we beat them good, but that wasn't the case. They haven't looked much better on the road this year either. We'll see.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And yet we still won the division in 2013, and just like that year, there isn't a juggernaut team in this division that guarantees that a 9-7 or so record won't get it done again.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This to me just says we have had like 15 chances at a Super Bowl and couldn't come through more than once. Over the years I've enjoyed the regular season wins and a few postseason wins, but 30 years from now the only record people give a **** about is Super Bowls. I don't like how people see it like this, but it's true. With Rodgers and Favre if you don't win the Super Bowl, your didn't reach your ultimate goal and it's beyond frustrating at this point. Ten years from now (if we have just 1 or 2 super bowls in Rodgers era), we'll be sitting back saying what if as we trot out the 20th best quarterback in the league because it's beyond amazing we've had 2 1st ballot hall of fame qbs in a row. A 3rd one is just dreaming.
That seems like a very “woe is me” way of living your life. There are 32 teams in the NFL, and 12 make the playoffs every year. To think your team should win the SB every year, or even win just because they made the playoffs, is borderline absurd. How is it not enough that we’ve been witness to winning seasons almost every year for two decades?

Members online

Latest posts