Rodgers broken collar bone.. Season ending??

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you're new to this forum, but it appears you're new to sports fandom, in general, too. If you think the past is irrelevant, see how many of us can quote chapter and verse about league championships from before when many were born, heartbreaking plays from years ago, et.al. The past is VERY much alive for most sports fans.
Perhaps "irrelevant" is not the exact word. (Inconsequential?) But I was sort of agreeing with you when you said:
Half Empty said:
As with almost everything here, it's all subjective and relative. I have a tough time caring about all the division titles the Pack has, but I can certainly relate their SB experiences.
I admit to not being a "fan" (as in fanatic), ;) but nearly froze at the original Ice Bowl in 1965; the playoff at Lambeau, with the old Baltimore Colts. Don't recall the score, but we won. In overtime, it was.

Yes the past championships of are to be savored. But to some of us, every new game is what really counts. Yes, we lost the last one, but the high points were nonetheless enjoyable: Clay Matthews' interception, and the subsequent score.

Last edited:

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else looking forward to Rodgers coming back week 16 to beat Minnesota and Anthony Barr at Lambeau to knock them out of playoff contention?

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it could happen

some magic happening in New York right now...
Exactly.
Nobody gave them a chance of the playoffs, let alone the World Series. I had a friend tell me I need to write off the season now. Not a chance. AR12 not deffo done, and we were in a worse position last time this happened. If we get in and AR12 is back, look out.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly.
Nobody gave them a chance of the playoffs, let alone the World Series. I had a friend tell me I need to write off the season now. Not a chance. AR12 not deffo done, and we were in a worse position last time this happened. If we get in and AR12 is back, look out.

so who's our Aaron Judge?

Is it Kevin King? lol

This has been incredible! Obviously being originally from TX the series has been awesome ... I'm looking forward to being back in LA in a couple weeks and if it's Dodgers and Yankees that will be incredible obviously

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so who's our Aaron Judge?

Is it Kevin King? lol

This has been incredible! Obviously being originally from TX the series has been awesome ... I'm looking forward to being back in LA in a couple weeks and if it's Dodgers and Yankees that will be incredible obviously

Well that's still to be seem. Maybe it will be a total team effort. Maybe Hundley surprises all of us. Maybe it's Matthews or the D as a whole. We have plenty of talent and experience on the field.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I've never decided if I enjoy trolling Red Sox fans more or Vikings fans ... Dodgers and Bears are also pretty high on my list

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel sick for Rodgers. One of my favorite players to watch.

I sincerely hope the Packers don’t rush him back in an effort to save the season.

Let the man heal completely. I say this because Dallas did the same thing with Romo in 2015 because they couldn’t win without him. They rushed him back and he just got hurt again.

Now obviously Rodgers is way more durable than Romo, but still if you bring him back too soon he’ll be suseptible to reinjury.
If I’m Green Bay the one thing I’d look to address is that OL. Not only do you improve the pass protection for your quarterback, but also make your team more balanced and when he returns will have less of a burden.
Speaking of QB protection, back in the days of Bart Starr, if the QB had his hand back to make a pass, he was no longer fair game for a hit. If the NFL is really concerned about player injuries, this rule should be reinstated.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of QB protection, back in the days of Bart Starr, if the QB had his hand back to make a pass, he was no longer fair game for a hit. If the NFL is really concerned about player injuries, this rule should be reinstated.
So umm... how do you end the play on defense... ? stand there and wait for the QB to throw it to the wide open receiver?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If I`m Huntley, and I play well enough to get the team into playoff contention, I`d be pretty pissed if they give control back to AR when he returns and manages to play in the Superbowl.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would be interesting, if somehow Hundley plays well enough to guide the Packers into the playoffs, if he is playing well, do you pull him in favor of inserting Rodgers who may not even be close to 100%? Sadly, I don't think the Packers will have to face that decision.

I'm absolutely convinced the Packers would start Rodgers even if he's not close to 100%. Unfortunately I agree that they won't face a situation in which to make a decision on it this season though.

I still have yet to hear any reasonable explanation why, if the Packers are as certain as many of us that Rodgers won't return, they did not immediately place him on IR as we need every roster spot we can get at this point. Heck even if they were only certain he'd miss at least 8 weeks they could have gone ahead and placed him on IR.

I have no idea why the Packers haven't placed Rodgers on injured reserve so far but it's completely unrealistic to expect him to be back within less than eight weeks.

Rodgers’ break also occurred two weeks further into the season last time around. Also, surgery (if successful) should shorten the recovery time needed. It wouldn’t be a surprise if he’s able to start strength and conditioning on his right side in 4-6 weeks. Clearly he won’t be 100% when he comes back from a long injury, because who ever is? But to think he won’t touch the weight room for three months is a little over-pessimistic.

All talk about Rodgers aside, the people acting like the sky is falling are basing their expectations of Brett Hundley on a relief stint against a very strong defense. With a week to actually take first team reps, and develop a game plan around him actually playing, I’m fully confident that we’ll be looking at 5-2 a week from now. We have Montgomery getting healthier, Aaron Jones, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Bennett, the other Rodgers.. we aren’t hurting for weapons. And our defense is playing far better than they’re getting credit for, especially when King is in the game.

This is a team that can still get 10 or 11 wins, and you can hold me to that 11 weeks from now.

I agree with this. I've heard the Romo injury brought up and he had a different procedure done where they actually removed part of the collarbone. It wasn't the ******** it back together and fusing it option that provides a lower risk of re-injury. Then it comes down to throwing the football. In one month from a successful fusion surgery to the collarbone it is likely that the person will be able to run and lift weights. This isn't a labrum or ligament or tendon surgery to shoulder which I personally had done last March. If it was they would of IR'd him already. Even with that much more serious surgery I was totally pain free and active doing normal activity within 12 weeks. There was also no risk of re-injury.

Will Rodgers be a 100 percent in 8-10 weeks? Probably not. However I don't think it is unrealistic to believe he would be able to play at 80-90 percent. This is all assuming there would be no setbacks in the recovery process.

Once again, it seems you're being way too optimistic about Rodgers' chances to play again this season. Here's a link to a story published in the Press Gazette in which medical experts talk about the outlook for #12:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...akes-aaron-rodgers-return-unlikely/769040001/

The defense wasn't terrible in that game. Short fields and no offense behind them. They gave up a couple big plays, they made a couple plays. An INT and a fumble recovery. The vikings were like 3 of 12 or 14 or something on 3rd downs. That's not horrible defense. That's not win a game for us defense, but if you have an offense moving the ball helping them, it is help us win some game defense.

While the defense wasn't terrible against the Vikings you have to consider the unit faced a below average offense starting their third string quarterback.

If I’m Green Bay the one thing I’d look to address is that OL. Not only do you improve the pass protection for your quarterback, but also make your team more balanced and when he returns will have less of a burden.

The Packers starting offensive line excels in pass protection. The team needs to add more quality depth though.

Hands down I would rather watch the Packers’ last two decades over a team like the Giants. Even if Rodgers never wins another SB, even though I think he will, I will have been glad to be witness of his career. Nothing beats sustained success.

Aside of winning championships of course.

Rodgers defiantly not out for season unless the team is eliminated from playoff contention in 8 weeks or so. He came back in 7 weeks from his last broken collarbone.

Rodgers broke the collarbone on his throwing arm this time around though all but guaranteeing it will take him more time to return to action.

Well that's still to be seem. Maybe it will be a total team effort. Maybe Hundley surprises all of us. Maybe it's Matthews or the D as a whole. We have plenty of talent and experience on the field.

Unfortunately I don't consider the roster to be talented enough to overcome the loss of Rodgers.

If I`m Huntley, and I play well enough to get the team into playoff contention, I`d be pretty pissed if they give control back to AR when he returns and manages to play in the Superbowl.

That's life as a quarterback backing up the best player in the league though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Lite said:
So umm... how do you end the play on defense... ? stand there and wait for the QB to throw it to the wide open receiver?
Like maybe get a hand on the ball? A good defense has plenty of time to get to the QB ahead of the pass opportunity window. God forbid, that AR should complete a long pass, unmolested.

“We’re all smart enough to know that the marquee quarterbacks are one of the reasons why so many fans are interested in football,” said the former N.F.L. coach Steve Mariucci, now an analyst for NFL Network. “If we lose a Brett Favre or a Peyton Manning or an Aaron Rodgers for the season, the league isn’t the same, the interest isn’t the same, and the production and quality of the football isn’t the same.”
Mariucci served as Favre’s position coach in Green Bay in the mid-1990s, when Favre began his streak of 321 consecutive starts, and he began tracking how many other quarterbacks would play every game in a season. In 1992, the year Favre’s streak began, there were eight. In 1993 and 1994, seven.

“That was back when they were hitting quarterbacks in the head, hitting them in the leg,” Mariucci said. “It was like kill the quarterback and you win.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/18/...rbacks-nfl-defenses-are-on-the-defensive.html

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still can't believe people are actually thinking he is coming back this season. Surgery on his throwing arm collarbone people...not his non throwing arm. If the Packers stink by the time we get imto December.... then there's no REASON to even bring him back.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Lite said:
Like maybe get a hand on the ball? A good defense has plenty of time to get to the QB ahead of the pass opportunity window. God forbid, that AR should complete a long pass, unmolested.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/18/...rbacks-nfl-defenses-are-on-the-defensive.html
What kind of silly answer is that?
Hey I'm just taking your post literally since you gave no details... but it would seem that based on your description... all a QB would have to do is take the snap and raise his arm ... and.... stand there untouchable until a receiver brakes open.

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey I'm just taking your post literally since you gave no details... but it would seem that based on your description... all a QB would have to do is take the snap and raise his arm ... and.... stand there untouchable until a receiver brakes open.
Arm back, he'd best get rid of the ball before it's grabbed out of his hand.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim Lite said:
Better to sit there watching game after game waiting for your GOAT QB's collar bone to mend??

It was a question (yet unanswered).
No need to just sit and wait. It is evaluation and experimentation time. Is this a one man team? Are there players better than what they have appeared. Are our receivers any good or does Airod just make it appear that way. Capers defense was built to bleed the clock while protecting a lead. Can it win games? Can the OL change its mindset to actually be a run blocking force which the zone blocking scheme was designed for. Do we have a back that can run it? Interesting times these next 10 weeks are.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I must confess to being a little dispondant reading people writing Huntley and the team off before he's played his first full game. I understand how bad this situation is, but shouldn't we be rallying behind him and the team 100% ?
The great AR had to start from scratch once and was sometimes booed by some when he stepped in ahead of BF, but he proved those doubters wrong. There will be a time when AR ends his career. Are we going to hate the new guy then ?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must confess to being a little dispondant reading people writing Huntley and the team off before he's played his first full game. I understand how bad this situation is, but shouldn't we be rallying behind him and the team 100% ?
The great AR had to start from scratch once and was sometimes booed by some when he stepped in ahead of BF, but he proved those doubters wrong. There will be a time when AR ends his career. Are we going to hate the new guy then ?
this isn't the optimism thread. unless Hundley pulls off an Earl Morrall there's no point and that's not the '72 dolphins standing on the sidelines with him either. i'm not rooting against him but if they lose every game the rest of the way i won't be disappointed. it'll get us a no-brainer pick that TT can't mess up...unless he trades down like one other member posted lol. this team needs more talent. something good can actually come from this disaster. :whistling:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

The nature of the beast my friend. You go with your best players on any given Sunday, if AR is healthy enough to play, it doesn't matter who got you there........#12 has earned the right to play.