Rick Reilly/ESPN: Pack mentality

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
I searched and didn't see this - I hope I didn't miss it somehow. (Mods, please delete if I've screwed up here.)

I think a lot of you guys will find this piece speaks to you the way it did to me. PackerForum.com is mentioned, too. (It's well worth reading the rest at the link.) [On edit, I'm not sure where this vid came from; it's tied to the link somehow. The article is called "Pack Mentality" on ESPN, and the forum even inserted different text, because that's what I typed and now it says something completely different. So anyway, I don't know how to fix it, but if you want to find the rest of the article, it shouldn't be too hard. : ) ]

The Green Bay Packers need to win - ESPN

You root for the Packers in this Super Bowl because it's more than just Green Bay's football team. It's the blood in their veins and the asphalt under their tires. They drive down Lombardi Avenue. They speed down Holmgren Way. They park on Reggie White Way. They learn at Vince Lombardi Elementary and daydream of starring at Lambeau Field. And if they lose Sunday, there will be a line to jump off Ray Nitschke Bridge.

You root for the Packers in this Super Bowl for guys like the one on PackerForum.com writing about hearing his mom shriek downstairs and thinking she's in trouble and running down to find her in her robe and slippers shrieking in delight at the man standing in the doorway, Packers god Bart Starr, who had stopped by to drop off some gifts as thanks for the guy cutting Starr's lawn and shoveling his sidewalk this year.

You root for the Packers in this Super Bowl because being a Steelers fan is a sickness but being a Packers fan is incurable. In Green Bay, Packers gas up where you gas up, pray where you pray, eat where you eat. The players are like family, which means they get yelled at a lot. "That's the thing that's a little different here," says All-Pro Packers linebacker Clay Matthews. "If you mess up here, the lady at the grocery store will let you know."

Cheesehead Brittany

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"You root for the Packers in this Super Bowl because, at the end of it, they're not giving out the Noll Trophy, they're giving out the Lombardi Trophy. Nobody on Broadway is rushing to see the hit play Cowher, but they are rushing to see the hit play Lombardi.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid video parser script, LOL. I will fix that for ESPN.

Cool article though, nice to get a shout out on ESPN. Wish that was an actual link! :)

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
You root for the Packers in this Super Bowl because being a Steelers fan is a sickness but being a Packers fan is incurable.
:give_heart:

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Being a Steelers fan is a sickness."

That's funny stuff.

I guess that would mean Chicago fans are permanently braindamaged for being Bears fans.

:chisux:

OP
OP
LombardiChick

LombardiChick

Reaction score
Stupid video parser script, LOL. I will fix that for ESPN.

Cool article though, nice to get a shout out on ESPN. Wish that was an actual link! :)

Thanks! I felt like a rat in a maze trying to get the preview to match the published result last night! (I was shocked to see a video appear - I never even saw one on the page the article was on. LOL)

Congratulations on the notice by ESPN - very cool! :happy0005:

OP
OP
LombardiChick

LombardiChick

Reaction score
"You root for the Packers in this Super Bowl because, at the end of it, they're not giving out the Noll Trophy, they're giving out the Lombardi Trophy. Nobody on Broadway is rushing to see the hit play Cowher, but they are rushing to see the hit play Lombardi.

I loved that paragraph - I think maybe this is my favorite line in the piece:

You root for the Packers in this Super Bowl because every now and then the game needs to have on top the little team nobody can seem to hate.

I also loved this, because I think it's so true:

Rodgers deserved better and now he deserves this.

GO PACK GO!! FOUR MORE QUARTERS!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts