Restrictions on new members

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

That makes sense. The trolls are bothersome. There are a few regular posters as well who seem to think their opinions are the only ones that matter. They rarely, if ever, give kudos to posters who have (gasp) politely corrected them, or even just for posting something that is, again politely, thought provoking.

Now I'm a realist and those people probably won't change. But as long as we're discussing this I thought I'd mention it. I come here to 1) share my opinions and 2) learn things I don't know. Bottom line, for the regulars, try to acknowledge when someone posts a correction or posts something thought provoking. At the very least, you'll gain credibility. No one person is always right.

And this is coming from a "reformed" poster. I engaged in less than dignified exchanges. This is my favorite forum. Let's be polite to each other. There are some posters with an incredible wealth of statistical info that is very interesting, but not the final word on every topic. Keep an open mind. I think Mark Twain said there are three kinds of lies - 1) lies, 2) damned lies, and 3) statistics. Most discussions and posts end up being opinions and so subjective. Let's just all acknowledge that. I've seen the light, with all thanks to BuggyBill!

Glad to be of help Joe. You did it ALL yourself, honestly ;)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Please define troll and spammer. I'm not sure what you are talking about.
I define troll as posting to get an emotional response. Typically off topic. Usually outrageous or nondebatable. Spammers IMO are here to lure posters to another site or to advertise a prduct or service. Seldom add to the discussion.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well I guess this is why I cannot introduce myself to the forum then. I have to make 5-10 meaningless replies to threads first.
First, welcome. Second, you can make 5-10 meaningful – even insightful – replies and accomplish the same thing. ;)
- - - - - - - -

‘As long as we’re discussing this’, I understand some posters have a problem with stats, particularly when they contradict that poster’s opinion. Stats aren’t the end-all be-all of football analysis but they have value when, for example, a poster has the opinion that ‘teams with elite Ds win Super Bowls’. Recent evidence (AKA stats) show that of the last 10 Super Bowl winners, only three had top 5 scoring defenses, three had bottom-third defenses and the rest finished in the middle. So it’s ironic that poster would post about “politely correcting” others when he refused to be politely corrected on this point.

And when one posters engages in unprovoked name-calling of another, an apology would go a long way.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess this is why I cannot introduce myself to the forum then. I have to make 5-10 meaningless replies to threads first. I'm getting this in the "Introduce Yourself " thread: (You have insufficient privileges to post here.)

Hopefully, you have something to add to 5 current discussions that are not "meaningless"...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Paging Mr. weeds, paging Mr. weeds ... Hey weeds, Packerlover has a question I believe you are uniquely qualified to answer ;):

You must be referring to the fact that I've taken enough psychology coursework to be dangerous while still unqualified? That's it isnt it? Ok...I'll offer my quasi-thought out reply.

I believe that trolling is brought about by an unsatisfied sex life. Trolls usually come.to realize at one point or another that given their unfortunate lack of endowment, and as such "it" being a small job, they might as well do it by hand...so, they indulge in what is clinically known as "mental ************ " by way of their keyboard.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

You must be referring to the fact that I've taken enough psychology coursework to be dangerous while still unqualified? That's it isnt it? Ok...I'll offer my quasi-thought out reply.

I believe that trolling is brought about by an unsatisfied sex life. Trolls usually come.to realize at one point or another that given their unfortunate lack of endowment, and as such "it" being a small job, they might as well do it by hand...so, they indulge in what is clinically known as "mental ************ " by way of their keyboard.

fascinating ! :eek:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
:roflmao: weeds, I didn't mean to blow your cover ... well, OK I did. But it was worth it!

Ray_66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been registered here for awhile. Just stuck with a site where I knew most everyone. You want to rid yourselves of trolls. You need to restrict membership. I wouldn't recommend just a posting requirement but also add an active membership period. To join you need to be recomended by a member. I found through experience long time members can be as much trouble as any newbies

GoPackGo13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am all for setting some boundaries on brand new members. It seems 50% of new members are trolls or spammers. I would suggest either not allowing a new member to post till 24 hours has passed (as a member) or cannot create new threads till they have reached a certain number of posts. Anyone agree or disagree? Suggestions?
I disagree because I have a legit posting I want to put up but can't because of the wait period and the need for 5 replies to be allowed!

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I disagree because I have a legit posting I want to put up but can't because of the wait period and the need for 5 replies to be allowed!
At the time (over 3 years ago) when we had a ton of spammers and trolls then this post made sense.

Pigskin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to be Pig headed about this ( No Punt intended) but I need another meaningful post.:rolleyes: GO PACK!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts