Reggie Begelton Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The final cut downs will be very interesting this year. No family night, no preseason games, no public scrimmages, reduced media coverage, etc. Basically, on Sept 5th fans will find out who the Packer coaches felt were the best 53 players. All the preseason hero's that we are used to wringing our hands and shedding tears over will unceremoniously just be gone. On Sept. 13th, I expect to see a pretty familiar starting lineup on both sides of the ball.

If people want to get excited about a reporter saying "Wow, this rookie made some nice catches against the #1's", I guess that is their prerogative. However, I expect the Packers to keep more veteran and proven players than in years past. I have never put a lot of stock into a guy having a decent preseason game against against a bunch of backups and I put even less in hearing a reporter say "this guy is practicing really well."

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Darius Shepard has been practicing well. I liked him. But I think there may be a bit of a bias against the shorter receivers on this team. So he and/or Begelton will have to really stand out in practice and then do something during a game. imho I'm excited to see what is coming. Not pessimistic at all.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, but you should be able to put it into perspective. A receiver like Begelton making plays on the first days of practice with the team practicing in shorts doesn't mean a whole lot for his chances to have an impact.

Nor did ANYONE claim otherwise. Literally NO ONE.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sounds like Darius Shepard has been practicing well. I liked him. But I think there may be a bit of a bias against the shorter receivers on this team.

I don't think it will necessarily be his height that keeps him off the 53, I think it will be more that he was given a big shot to play, in real games last season and he sh*t the bed. Like I said earlier, without preseason games, this season is really going to be tough for guys to move up a lot on the depth charts. I think a guy like Begelton has a leg up on Shepard, simply on potential in the NFL, but even Reggie is probably a long shot to make the final roster.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Darius Shepard has been practicing well. I liked him. But I think there may be a bit of a bias against the shorter receivers on this team. So he and/or Begelton will have to really stand out in practice and then do something during a game. imho I'm excited to see what is coming. Not pessimistic at all.

Reggie is over 6' tall.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The final cut downs will be very interesting this year. No family night, no preseason games, no public scrimmages, reduced media coverage, etc. Basically, on Sept 5th fans will find out who the Packer coaches felt were the best 53 players. All the preseason hero's that we are used to wringing our hands and shedding tears over will unceremoniously just be gone. On Sept. 13th, I expect to see a pretty familiar starting lineup on both sides of the ball.

If people want to get excited about a reporter saying "Wow, this rookie made some nice catches against the #1's", I guess that is their prerogative. However, I expect the Packers to keep more veteran and proven players than in years past. I have never put a lot of stock into a guy having a decent preseason game against against a bunch of backups and I put even less in hearing a reporter say "this guy is practicing really well."

From a coaching/GM standpoint I don't know if it will be all that much different. I think we fans put much more stock in the preseason, family night, scrimmages performances than the staff does. I think Most of the decisions are made during practice.

I'm sure there is a player or two every year that wows the staff during one of those events and makes the team because of it but I don't think many of those players end up making much of a difference in the long run. The guy who got cut in his place would most likely have had just as much of an impact.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
From a coaching/GM standpoint I don't know if it will be all that much different. I think we fans put much more stock in the preseason, family night, scrimmages performances than the staff does. I think Most of the decisions are made during practice.

I'm sure there is a player or two every year that wows the staff during one of those events and makes the team because of it but I don't think many of those players end up making much of a difference in the long run. The guy who got cut in his place would most likely have had just as much of an impact.

I was looking at it more from the fans perspective. While I generally agree with you that coaches and GM's look at a lot more than just preseason games, the loss of preseason games, might be the difference for some in making the 53. This season won't favor a guy that really shows up during game situations but just doesn't practice as well as someone else. I remember reading an article about the rookie mindset. Most of these guys were superstars on their College team and because of that may not have been required to practice as hard, to protect them from injury. Now those rookies are in the NFL fighting for their careers, this year practicing well is going to be a very valuable skill set for the younger unproven guys.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I find myself rather liking this scenario of very little real info, no visual analysis of pre-season games for fans. Fans and keyboard warriors tend to get pretty arrogant about their ability to make team personnel decisions with maybe 10% of the info that the coaches possess.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it will necessarily be his height that keeps him off the 53, I think it will be more that he was given a big shot to play, in real games last season and he sh*t the bed. Like I said earlier, without preseason games, this season is really going to be tough for guys to move up a lot on the depth charts. I think a guy like Begelton has a leg up on Shepard, simply on potential in the NFL, but even Reggie is probably a long shot to make the final roster.
If you are talking of the ***** off the head; I think that is bogus. The groundskeepers should be blamed. People were slipping all over the field all game. In fact, I don't think they have done a good job for awhile now. If you are talking about punts; I guess so. That would be some jitters and I think lack of experience. If you want to see a couple more punt receiving problems; re-watch the 49er playoff game. I like Ervin also, and I hope he sticks. But he did have some problems.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If you are talking of the ***** off the head; I think that is bogus. The groundskeepers should be blamed. People were slipping all over the field all game. In fact, I don't think they have done a good job for awhile now. If you are talking about punts; I guess so. That would be some jitters and I think lack of experience. If you want to see a couple more punt receiving problems; re-watch the 49er playoff game. I like Ervin also, and I hope he sticks. But he did have some problems.

LOL.....ok, let's blame the groundskeepers for the doink and the jitters/lack of experience for 1 catch for 1 yard, 2 punt returns for -9 yards and a 16.5 Kick return average, that aside, what did Shepherd do to impress you? ;)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL.....ok, let's blame the groundskeepers for the doink and the jitters/lack of experience for 1 catch for 1 yard, 2 punt returns for -9 yards and a 16.5 Kick return average, that aside, what did Shepherd do to impress you? ;)
I like his quickness and I think he may have good hands. He was pretty raw. They kept him on the practice squad. They did not tell him he could not make it. So we'll see. It would make sense that if one of them makes the team it would be between him and Begelton.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, but you should be able to put it into perspective. A receiver like Begelton making plays on the first days of practice with the team practicing in shorts doesn't mean a whole lot for his chances to have an impact.

No kidding?

I don't think anybody said it did. Somebody said it sounds like he's had a nice few practices. That's it.

Don't make it more than it is.

D

Deleted member 6794

We’re getting closer and closer to the beginning of the season. If we’re hearing reports that certain wide receivers are making plays with Rodgers against our starting DB’s it absolutely becomes meaningful info. Set aside your 2019 biases and listen and read closely as to what is happening and being reported.

I don't put a whole lot of stock into reports coming out of camp. Unfortunately Gutekunst and MLF don't allow information about which players are lining up with the first and second team units anymore this year as that was probably the most important tidbits being available.

Sounds like Darius Shepard has been practicing well. I liked him. But I think there may be a bit of a bias against the shorter receivers on this team. So he and/or Begelton will have to really stand out in practice and then do something during a game.

Neither Shepherd nor Begelton will get the chance to showcase their skills in a game before mandatory roster cutdown on September 5 though.

Nor did ANYONE claim otherwise. Literally NO ONE.

Once again, I'm asking you what's the point of posting information if you don't want anybody to put any stock into it in the first place???

I find myself rather liking this scenario of very little real info, no visual analysis of pre-season games for fans. Fans and keyboard warriors tend to get pretty arrogant about their ability to make team personnel decisions with maybe 10% of the info that the coaches possess.

A lot of them will continue to do it solely based on practice reports.

Don't make it more than it is.

That's a great advice on how to handle reports from practice.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, I'm asking you what's the point of posting information if you don't want anybody to put any stock into it in the first place???

Well let's see.....there is this unknown WR from the CFL that happens to be in training camp. He caught the eye of coaches and some watching and they made some positive comments. Those were essentially placed in a thread that has to do with this player from the CFL. It was merely a practice related observation. Just like how Josh Jackson has seemed to be a changed performer this year and the fact Burks looks healthy finally and can actually bench press more than a 6th grade football player....NONE of those items cement anything in stone, merely allow for discussion on observations and what they may cause.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well let's see.....there is this unknown WR from the CFL that happens to be in training camp. He caught the eye of coaches and some watching and they made some positive comments. Those were essentially placed in a thread that has to do with this player from the CFL. It was merely a practice related observation. Just like how Josh Jackson has seemed to be a changed performer this year and the fact Burks looks healthy finally and can actually bench press more than a 6th grade football player....NONE of those items cement anything in stone, merely allow for discussion on observations and what they may cause.

Burks finally being healthy is probably the most relevant information out of the ones you posted. Begelton making some plays during practice in shorts should be considered a non-issue though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burks finally being healthy is probably the most relevant information out of the ones you posted. Begelton making some plays during practice in shorts should be considered a non-issue though.

Non-issue in the present, but could play out in the future - Burks healthy is for sure the biggest IMO as well from what I shared there.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Non-issue in the present, but could play out in the future - Burks healthy is for sure the biggest IMO as well from what I shared there.
Also, it sounds like Kamil Martin has been providing real competition in terms of ILB depth. The coaches have mentioned it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, it sounds like Kamil Martin has been providing real competition in terms of ILB depth. The coaches have mentioned it.

Doesn't matter and shouldn't be even commented ....just getting that out of the way for captainWIMM

Kamal has been getting great reviews and statements it appears whenever I'm reading through day reports. ILB is very intriguing to me....you have Kamal, Ty, Curtis, Oren and Krys all fighting behind Kirksey

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have much faith in Ty. I think if he makes the team; it will be on special teams. And not sure he is good enough to warrant that.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Begelton makes the roster as well as plays in games then you could point to those first practices being a great start. Otherwise it will continue to be a non-issue.

Well, that should be expected out of a draft pick at a position in dire need of an upgrade behind Kirksey.

Doesn't matter and shouldn't be even commented ....just getting that out of the way for captainWIMM

Some of you really need to learn to put things into perspective. Every year the same thing happens, several posters putting way too much stock into camp reports while players that beat writers have been glowing about don't even end up making the roster. Yet you forget about that only 12 months later.

ILB is very intriguing to me....you have Kamal, Ty, Curtis, Oren and Krys all fighting behind Kirksey

It might be more realistic to consider the inside linebacker position a weakness at this point with Kirksey not being an upgrade over Martinez and the rest of the depth chart being unknowns.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might be more realistic to consider the inside linebacker position a weakness at this point with Kirksey not being an upgrade over Martinez and the rest of the depth chart being unknowns.

Who said having the battle means its a strength? Strength, weakness the battle there is what intrigues me.

I do believe Kirksey is much more gifted athletically than Blake was, and most definitely may be the case. He has already been showing his side line to side line coverage chops reports say....but like all practice reports shred em

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that should be expected out of a draft pick at a position in dire need of an upgrade behind Kirksey.

I’m never really sure what to expect from a 5th round pick who has not played any football since last December. These are unique times and the fact that he is being very aggressive and catching the eye of coaches is encouraging to me.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m never really sure what to expect from a 5th round pick who has not played any football since last December. These are unique times and the fact that he is being very aggressive and catching the eye of coaches is encouraging to me.

Oh my word, it is just practice...it is more irrelevant than pretty much anything.... (sarcasm)

I share your sentiments. Whether he washes out as our #2, and even if he does - doesn't mean he is going to be solid. Time will tell.

Members online