Regardless of talent.........

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What I want to know is how do the Patriots just go out and sign players regardless of price ??? Do they get seriously fined or what ?
Ask yourself this question. Why isn’t Tom Brady (the most successful player and with the most seniority) the most highly paid player in the league ever? I am very suspicious of financial shenanigans in Boston.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask yourself this question. Why isn’t Tom Brady (the most successful player and with the most seniority) the most highly paid player in the league ever? I am very suspicious of financial shenanigans in Boston.
If he gets a highly paid "consulting" job with one of Krafts businesses when he retires I'll be more suspicious.

But his wife makes more than Kraft and I'm only half joking. He may just really not care about a few million more

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think Kraft is handing Brady a big pile of money under the table? That would add some fire to their reputation for cheating.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because Brady understands that if he demands a mega contract like Stafford got in Detroit and Rodgers is about to get, the Patriots won't have enough cap space to surround him wit the talent he needs to keep winning.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Because Brady understands that if he demands a mega contract like Stafford got in Detroit and Rodgers is about to get, the Patriots won't have enough cap space to surround him wit the talent he needs to keep winning.

Interesting point :tup:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's likely true, but it still wouldn't be an obstacle for Belichick. He's never had an issue with getting a lot of value out of the cap, or winning with replacements. The opposite is true in GB, where not a soul would trust the front office to best utilize money and turn the extra cap into talent. And the coaches certainly can't win with replacements. Seeing how much better Rodgers makes this team, he'll still be vastly underpaid.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
"Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck." - Don Shula

The Packers have had GREAT luck for 25 years and unfortunately have only won two SBs.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score

For 2018 Tom Brady's cap number is $22 million compared to Rodger's $20.9 million. The Pats' cap number in 2018 for top 50 players is$163,052,002 compared to the Packer's $160,443,759. Where each organization spends is fairly different when you compare the caps spots. I used Over the Cap for the data and the Packers are top heavy for the top 10 contracts and spend far less on the remaining 40 spots. Just based on numbers it looks like the Patriots are more balanced and less reliant on their top players.

Patriots Packers Cap Spots
$96,317,438 $114,294,500 (1 to 10)
$34,341,666 $26,748,865 (11 to 21)
$17,767,701 $7,696,151 (21 to 30)
$8,559,635 $6,229,243 (31 to 40)
$6,065,562 $5,475,000 (41 to 50)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That would be very nice of Brady to be so altruistic. Given the history of what has happened with this franchise in the past, I remain suspicious. I’d be curious to know how many seasons since 2005 that Brady was the highest paid player in the league. My guess would be 2.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not being paid pennies and he's not setting cap cost records either. we're talking about a few million over the course of a couple years difference maybe. I wouldn't say he's been greatly underpaid in his career, but certainly he could have made more. I think it has as much to do with his wife being worth easily twice as much as her husband that he's not pressing to be the highest paid guy. he doesn't need to be.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He's not being paid pennies and he's not setting cap cost records either. we're talking about a few million over the course of a couple years difference maybe. I wouldn't say he's been greatly underpaid in his career, but certainly he could have made more. I think it has as much to do with his wife being worth easily twice as much as her husband that he's not pressing to be the highest paid guy. he doesn't need to be.

Yeah, those guys with non breadwinning wives definitely need the extra couple of million just to scrape by. ;)

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had this exact discussion yesterday with my oldest son over the phone.
When I read your post, I thought it was him posting.:D
You don't live in Idaho by any chance do you?:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts