Regarding the "non-TD" catch by Titus Young..

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans on the lions board are completely unloading their hatred for the refs on this call, and are claiming it is the only reason they lost. Okay first off I am a Packer fan, have been all my life.. but I've been a fan of football and the NFL even longer. I don't LIKE the call, if it was flipped and that call went against the Packers I would have been equally upset.... HOWEVER!

By the very definition of the rule, the officials got it right. In this situation it wasn't about getting two feet down, it was about maintaining possession. If you go back and closely look at the play, you will see Young touches one foot down THEN begins to jostle the football and switch it to the other hand before having full control, and THEN touches his second foot down while he maintains possession. So by definition of the rule, Young only maintains possession when his second foot touches, and so as much as I agree that the rule sucks, the officials did get it correct.

Every team in the NFL is victim to bad calls, or calls that were missed.. in the end it's always about execution, and for Lions fans all I can say is that 1 call (which was correct) wasn't their undoing. I respect the Lions despite their undisciplined season, and fully expect them to be competitive for many years to come. Your thoughts?

_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a TD

Win or not week 17 they wont make it past the wildcard round.

I wouldn't say that... But there fans are the reason going out of the season Lions are no longer my second favorite team... Oh and Suh

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
That was a Touchdown, and they have every right to be angry. The officials DID NOT get it right. That is the first time I have ever seen Mike Perrara claim the call was bulslhit.

You gotta look at it from their angle. What if that was your team getting screwed? You'd be just as upset. That was the biggest blown call of the year, had they got that call, the game probably would have went into OT tied at 45-45 and we would have gave up 600 yards, so yeah the blown call saved our defense from looking like an even worse disgrace than they looked allowing so many yards and Stafford to break into the 5,000 club.

LionsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just dont get why they dont make it general practice to rule any close call a TD regardless, since every TD is reviewed anyways. But its whatever, Calvin missed an easy TD as well in that game. And when we played Minn. they totally gave us a huge game winning break on that no face mask call that kept us in a realistic playoff chase. **** happens to everyone it goes both ways.

Like I said though, they really should just rule any close call a TD by default since its reviewed anyways.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I have read several posts expressing this sentiment and for the most part I initially agreed, but on second thought I see one major flaw in the "they should just call them all touchdowns" position. In order for the call, any call, to be REVERSED there must be "indisputable video evidence" that the call was wrong so, in dubious situations, the touchdown would "stand" rather than the no touchdown call being allowed to "stand." I come back to the conclusion and to the position that the ref should be allowed to call it as he sees it and let a challenge be made by the coach; not by the officials.
Mistakes may be made, but they have proved to be few and far between. Also, there actually was a day and a time that some of us old timers remember that there was not replay challenge at all. The human element is a part of the game on offense, on defense, and in the officiating crew. JMO.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans on the lions board are completely unloading their hatred for the refs on this call, and are claiming it is the only reason they lost. Okay first off I am a Packer fan, have been all my life.. but I've been a fan of football and the NFL even longer. I don't LIKE the call, if it was flipped and that call went against the Packers I would have been equally upset.... HOWEVER!

By the very definition of the rule, the officials got it right. In this situation it wasn't about getting two feet down, it was about maintaining possession. If you go back and closely look at the play, you will see Young touches one foot down THEN begins to jostle the football and switch it to the other hand before having full control, and THEN touches his second foot down while he maintains possession. So by definition of the rule, Young only maintains possession when his second foot touches, and so as much as I agree that the rule sucks, the officials did get it correct.

Every team in the NFL is victim to bad calls, or calls that were missed.. in the end it's always about execution, and for Lions fans all I can say is that 1 call (which was correct) wasn't their undoing. I respect the Lions despite their undisciplined season, and fully expect them to be competitive for many years to come. Your thoughts?

the officials did not get it right or correct. If you look at it again, like I did, it was a TD, everyone who analyzes football seems to confirm this as well. I don't see how you respect the Lions, I have no respect for them at all.

Go Pack Go

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have read several posts expressing this sentiment and for the most part I initially agreed, but on second thought I see one major flaw in the "they should just call them all touchdowns" position. In order for the call, any call, to be REVERSED there must be "indisputable video evidence" that the call was wrong so, in dubious situations, the touchdown would "stand" rather than the no touchdown call being allowed to "stand." I come back to the conclusion and to the position that the ref should be allowed to call it as he sees it and let a challenge be made by the coach; not by the officials.
Mistakes may be made, but they have proved to be few and far between. Also, there actually was a day and a time that some of us old timers remember that there was not replay challenge at all. The human element is a part of the game on offense, on defense, and in the officiating crew. JMO.

so you are saying its ok for the ref's to get calls wrong a certain % of the time? That doesn't seem logical or right to me. The always call it a touchdown way that I would like to see ref's handle situations would almost entirely eliminate plays like this from occurring. If there is not indisputable evidence then give the person the touchdown, if there is then overturn it. No set of rules will ever make everyone happy and there is always SOME human error but to not want to rectify the situation by allowing a better system to be put in place is rather foolish in my opinion.

It reminds me of how people have a problem with cameras that catch speeders and send them tickets in the mail. They use the "well I never saw the camera, in the past I could have slammed on my brakes when I saw a cop or talked my way out of a ticket"

oh well, we are 15-1

GO PACK GO

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion. The refs get things incorrect now. You're not going to change that. How many times have you watched a game where there was a review and the announcers and Pereira give their opinion only to have the game officials decide otherwise -- apparently the "indisputable video evidence" was not "indisputable" after all. The truth is YES I would rather have the officials make the call they believe to be correct and have that reviewed than to have some arbitrary rule that they must rule it a touchdown. If that is your position then why even have officials at the end zone to make a call; if it is close just have them "review it upstairs."
Also, the teams are still allotted their two challenges. The fact the Lions had used theirs was their problem, not the leagues', the Packers', the fans', the games', or the officials'. Life's not fair and everyone just needs to come to terms with that.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sounds like you have had a bitter life man...I just prefer to make things more fair but hey thats just me. No reason to be mad brah. 15-1

GO PACK GO

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I guess I could say the same thing about you. The truth is I am very happy with my life and I was not and am not mad or bitter, but apparently you are. Life has taught me that generally when we accuse others of something it is because it is how we really feel.
The fact that I do not agree with you does not mean I am mad or that I am bitter (though your original post replying to mine comes across that way -- you're the one who called me a fool). Your way is no more fair than the present system. Under the present system everyone lives by the same rules and that is the definition of fairness. The fact that you don't like the rules under which they all live does not make them less fair.
No reason to be mad brah. 15-1.
GO PACK GO

Members online

Latest posts