Refs did it again..

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are you guys coming from?

Have any of you EVER officiated anything? It is not easy whatsoever. Mistakes are made. How much are YOU fined when you make a mistake at work?

Wrong calls, yes they were. Get over it. Happens to the best of them. We have also benefited from bad calls too.
I reffed a couple high school football games. But i wasn't getting paid for it either. But you are right, we have benefited from bad calls in the past. Hopefully, we will get some that go OUR way before the season ends. It would be nice to be on the other end for a change.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I agree it goes both ways with calls, but what calls have we had go our way that GAVE us a Touchdown even though it shouldn't have been?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree it goes both ways with calls, but what calls have we had go our way that GAVE us a Touchdown even though it shouldn't have been?
Thats the problem..........the calls that have gone against us have been BIG calls. They were on scoring or important times in the games. That mad them stick out alot more. Had the force out of Bubba been on the sideline at our own 30, we would be upset, but not as much as what should have been a TD scored.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

Have any of you EVER officiated anything? It is not easy whatsoever. Mistakes are made. How much are YOU fined when you make a mistake at work?

Wrong calls, yes they were. Get over it. Happens to the best of them. We have also benefited from bad calls too.
I reffed a couple high school football games. But i wasn't getting paid for it either. But you are right, we have benefited from bad calls in the past. Hopefully, we will get some that go OUR way before the season ends. It would be nice to be on the other end for a change.

Then we just have to listen to everyone say we won because of bad calls. I'd rather have Mike Carey ref every one of our games from here on out.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have been reffing high school wrestling for 7 years. i also have been reffing jr high and pop warner football for the last 4 years. I am not a professional. The athletes i ref aren't professionals. If I was a professional I would make a lot more money, have much more responsibility, and be held accountable for my calls to a much higher degree. Yes, mistakes happen, but I expect a lot out of those who referee at a professional level. So, yes, I have EVER officiated anything. Back off!

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
trippster said:

I'd rather have Mike Carey ref every one of our games from here on out.
Amen to that!

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

I have been reffing high school wrestling for 7 years. i also have been reffing jr high and pop warner football for the last 4 years. I am not a professional. The athletes i ref aren't professionals. If I was a professional I would make a lot more money, have much more responsibility, and be held accountable for my calls to a much higher degree. Yes, mistakes happen, but I expect a lot out of those who referee at a professional level. So, yes, I have EVER officiated anything. Back off!

So you should understand the inevitable wrong calls. I agree they should be penalized somehow if it is something that they have control of (poor positioning, laziness, etc). But in the heat of the moment, yeah they will see it differently and don't make the right call. That I don't think should be cause for punishment (unless it is continual and then they should be removed). Remember, he saw the play once, and had to make a split second decision. I know I have blown calls when officiating hockey.

I am not sure how to "back off" :wink:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel they should be able to challenge a judgement call. It's just as important as any other call, and a game's outcome can hinge on it. Like someone else on here said, you can always fall back on "inconclusive evidence". Watching the called force out on Arizona's Fitzgerald, it wasn't even CLOSE to the obvious force out on Franks. I mean, if instant replay is being used, why NOT use it in these kinds of cases? Like Trippster said, the refs have a split second to make the call, and in this case is was obviously the wrong call. Whats the damage in allowing them to look at the replay and see if they did make the right or wrong call? If it ends up being so obviouly wrong, then they can make it right. And if it's still ruled as the right call being made, then they at least looked at it. And like in the Franks case, let us challenge it and take the chance at losing a time out if ruled wrong.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not reviewable because it is a judgment call...

so it's better to force someone to make a judgment in half a second than to give them two minutes to think about it?

It's such a stupid ****ing rule.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
It's not reviewable because it is a judgment call...

so it's better to force someone to make a judgment in half a second than to give them two minutes to think about it?

It's such a stupid ****ing rule.
I know.....thats why i think it SHOULD be reviewable. It could really make a huge dirrerence.........and what damage would it do? I don't see it as hurting anything.
But i don't think they will change it anyway.
When i was reffing, i called a touchdown on a call, and the coach of the other team went nuts on me. I didn't have "instant replay" of course, and i was on the back line of the endzone where the catch was made, while the coach was 40 yards away. The guy screamed at me for about 5 minutes. The funny part was, his team was down by about 8 touchdowns already, so it wasn't a game changing play. (The guy DID come up to me and apologize after the game)
So i know what it feels like to have the wrath of a coach dumped on me, and how you have to make a decision in a split second. But i was the only ref in the endzone, while with Franks i believe if i'm not mistaken, there were TWO refs right there. One of them at least should have got the call right.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like they make the "safe" call. I wonder if it were 3rd down, it might have been called a TD. But it was questionable to them, and we had more downs to try to get it in, so incomplete.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
trippster said:

So you should understand the inevitable wrong calls. I agree they should be penalized somehow if it is something that they have control of (poor positioning, laziness, etc). But in the heat of the moment, yeah they will see it differently and don't make the right call. That I don't think should be cause for punishment (unless it is continual and then they should be removed). Remember, he saw the play once, and had to make a split second decision. I know I have blown calls when officiating hockey.

I am not sure how to "back off" :wink:

i'm not saying anything will be perfect. but i watch a lot of games, and in the past two GB games, i have seen an inordinate amount of bad calls and no calls. i'm not saying they're fixed, but mistakes have been made. I agree that it's tough to make the right call when you only see it once, for a split second. but these are NFL referees. The reason they officiate at the highest level is because they are the best at making decisions in spite of having only a split second to see the play and make a decision. From what I have seen this year, along with all that i've seen in the past to shape my perception of what is a reasonable margin of error for a referee, i have to conclude that they have been very sloppy, and need to clean it up.

Alos, I'm sorry about the "back off" thing, you made me mad by calling out my authority to question a referee by implying that i had no idea what an official goes through, and i reacted too strongly.

Members online

Latest posts