Rediscover the fun of being a fan this season

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted July 10, 2005

Jeff Ash column: Rediscover the fun of being a fan this season

Special Sections

What is it, exactly, that you enjoy about the Packers?

I

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
great article, i like the reflections on the little things...you know message boards bring out the worst in me, something like this, kind of changes your outlook...

Last year I was fortunate to get all but I think 3 Packers games, so many times they were nationally televised, or the feature game of the week, of course I got them when they played Philly, I didn't see either bears game, the game we whooped DET, and the giants game, ...this year we have a sunday night game, christmas day, three monday night games, i should be seeing the team a lot again this year...

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year, the problem we're figuring on.... is there's so many 3pm games as opposed to normal...

With Football, the Members prefer to see the games start at Noon and they can still get other things done afterwards, like Church, etc. This year, there's only (what) ----

• 5 - Noon games
    7 - late games (3:15 or 4p)
    VERY EARLY BYE WEEK this year....
    3 MNF's and 1 ESPN game
As far as enjoying the group as a whole being together and sharing our own version of Wisconsin hospitality.. this could be a bit tough depending... We'd prefer to see 8 Noon games or more if possible... Maybe next year or maybe never again - who knows!

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
great article, i like the reflections on the little things...you know message boards bring out the worst in me, something like this, kind of changes your outlook...

Last year I was fortunate to get all but I think 3 Packers games, so many times they were nationally televised, or the feature game of the week, of course I got them when they played Philly, I didn't see either bears game, the game we whooped DET, and the giants game, ...this year we have a sunday night game, christmas day, three monday night games, i should be seeing the team a lot again this year...

Why don't you get Directv and see all the Packer games ???

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All those extra things are great. But then they start the game. And then they keep score. Next all that matters is a Packer win . . . and all thoses extra things are lost in the schuffle . . . unless they win . . . then all is well in the world . . . :lol:

OP
OP
P

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IBPrez,, the more late games the better, that means the Packers are winning and networks want them for national TV which are the late games, the noon games are only regionally telecasted to the area the two teams playing are located. The TV networks have found that the Green Bay Packers have a national following thus higher TV ratings for their later national Telecasting of games. You will notice that The Green Bay Packers get national exposure of 3 games on MNF and 1 game on ESPN Sunday Night Football. That is maximum a team in the NFL can get.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT - pending you are correct - and that remains to be seen - then our Club will not have all that great a season since the Packers being on regular TV all the time causes most members to just stay home... it saves money, sure.. and it also lets families enjoy bring the kids up properly with being Cheeseheads... I'll always support that... but our best season as a Club lately was when most of the games were NOT being televised by FOX or CBS, etc... Trust me, it ain't easy coming up with ways to draw people out of their Hobbit holes to watch the games... Even I would stay home from time to time if I could...

In 2002 at our last Hangout - it was a smaller little bar - which is like most Bars you see around Wisconsin.. and during the first Vikings game that season - (we kicked butt, as usual) - we had over 150 fans show up... as word was getting out that the Club was back on its feet.... and we broke that Bar's local fire law - it was great!

We've already done the overflowing trick in our Hangout at F&H now - but that's only for the room they let us have..... this Establishment can hold up to 499 customers.. Now, if they were to abide by the actual **** agreement we did - then most times, we'd see about 150 members showing up every week pending the game's not on regular TV. Most of the time when we've overflowed the setup - it's because other fans come in and hog the seats for spite... We're working on correcting that situation this year... the idea being other non-packerfans should wait till after the first quarter before trying to raid our turf...

Currently, they are re-working the interior of the place to support a couple more LARGE screens in two rooms which should rule most of that nonsense out..

We're hoping to have another one of our great "Bears Still Suck" Tailgate parties this year... and a few other things... 30 days to go, gents (and ladies) - Pre-season is just around the corner....

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
IP, where do you get this show?

UPDATE - This is from Jeff Ash - the writer of the article....

IPBprez-

I know of no link for Planet Magic, the bar. It is at 117 Wisconsin Ave. in downtown Denmark, Wisconsin. Its phone number is (920) 863-6168. The show is hosted by a fast-talking guy who promotes local wrestling shows. It's co-hosted by a raspy little guy with white-blonde hair and usually wearing a glittery vest. They have guests -- just everyday folks -- who I think are from the other bars in Denmark. They talk about the week's NFL games and make their picks. There's usually a karaoke number thrown in, along with plugs for upcoming wrestling shows. In one show, a guy at the bar referenced Najeh Daventurd, which of course I could not put in the paper.

Jeff

Well, there you have it!

Members online

Latest posts