Receivers too slow?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an exchange from Rob Demovsky's chat with fans on the Green Bay Press-Gazette web site. I disagree with both the fan and Demovsky. I've maintained all along that we don't necessarily need fast receivers, we just need GOOD receivers, and with Jennings healing and Jones emerging, I think we're in decent shape.

I would think differently if our receivers were slow, but they're not. Driver and Jennings have at least average speed for NFL receivers and both have big-play ability. Favre is at his best throwing those little slants and curls, and both those guys are able to break those plays for long gains and even take it all the way sometimes. Also, Ruvell Martin is showing some ability to use his height to his advantage in jump-ball situations.

skye1_24

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:12 am Post subject: preparing for philly
I am worried that TT has failed to address the Pack's most glaring offensive weakness, namely the lack of a burner at WR that can stretch the field. The Eagles have 3 projected starters at linebacker that average 256 lbs. (the Pack averages 241 lbs.) and a 33 year-old free safety that has achilles tendonitis from training camp practices. The key to this crucial first regular season game is speed from the WR position. Favre dinking and dunking to Driver and Jennings on slants in front of those monsters is like picking up nickels in front of a bulldozer - they might pick up 5-10 yards but they could get killed in the process. Mccarthy needs to develop his speed receivers now, like Clowney (I realize he's a project) and Bodiford, to exploit the Eagles defense and spare Driver and Jennings from a beating (not to mention possible injury). Despite all the attention that the RB position gets, I would very much like to hear your thoughts on the generally overlooked lack of speed at WR.

ROB DEMOVSKY: Isn't that why they were interested in Randy Moss -- for a legit deep threat. Not that Moss is a speed burner anymore, but he's tall enough to make plays down the field. There's an obvious lack of speed at the position. It's one of the biggest reasons that many think this team will struggle to score.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
clowney is supposed to be fast

there was just an article(or blurb) about how fast martin is

driver and jennings arent slouches (ask Darren Sharper)

jones is probably kinda slow

so in short, i disagree with the WRs being slow. Looks like just another reason to bring up Randy Moss by Rob. Gotta love it.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's more to playing WR in the NFL than timed speed in the 40 yard dash (see Schroeder, Billy). Sterling Sharpe and Jerry Rice each had a slow 40 time and they had some pretty admirable success in the NFL.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with ya trom, although you are mistaken about Martin. He is considered to be slow by NFL standards. That's always been the knock against him. But he's recently shown some big-play ability by using his height to catch long passes, and maybe, just maybe, he has a knack for getting open deep.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also thought Shaun Bodiford looked very fast out there and from the replay of the scrimmage he had a great night.

I keep hearing "their not fast" and "they have no burners" but I see both Driver and Jennings running by everybody on those slants.

Is it any more important to have a receiver that can get past people and catch a deep ball than it is to have guys that can catch it and run by everybody?

The long bomb is a spectacular play but is also more risky than setting players up with a shorter pass and letting run.

I was originally an advocate of getting Moss in here but the more I thought about it the more this would have given Brett reason to fling it down there whether he was open or not.

Moss ain't who he used to be when he was running down the sidelines kicking our ***. I'm fine watching BF hit Driver or Jennings in stride about 10 yards downfield and letting them go.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speed is great to have but if the Packers struggle at receiver this year it will not be just because of speed. David Clowney is a burner. Fast as hell but I doubt he even makes the team with the way he's been playing in camp so far. James Jones however is not that fast but he's always open. He finds the open spot in the coverage. That's all that matters. Based on what I've seen, Receiver will be vastly improved this season in my opinion. I really am impressed with the until as a whole so far.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I'm with ya trom, although you are mistaken about Martin. He is considered to be slow by NFL standards. That's always been the knock against him. But he's recently shown some big-play ability by using his height to catch long passes, and maybe, just maybe, he has a knack for getting open deep.

Here's your maybe:

Offensive Play of the Day

At the end of last season Ruvell Martin showed reliable hands on third down - the epitome of a possession receiver. But Martin showed again today that he has some deep ball potential, too. Favre took a five-step drop and heaved a bullet of a deep post to Martin, who got separation on cornerback Patrick Dendy and hauled in the 40-yard touchdown. It was just a similar to when Favre and Javon Walker torched defenses with in 2003 and '04. It was just a deep post route,” Martin said. Does Martin see himself developing into the deep threat the Packers certainly need? “My philosophy is the same as always,” he said. “I do whatever to help the team. If they call on me to go deep [more often] than great. If it’s as a third down or possession receiver than that’s fine too.”

Gotta say I agree with both of you, Trom, Greg. This guy could be it.....

Thx to Tophat for the quote/article. :thumbsup:

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as the receivers make for it by being physical it's fine. Driver is pretty physical... not sure about Jennings at this point in time. Jones also is looking to fit the mold of a Keyshawn Johnson. He's a strong receiver who doesn't burn anybody, but he'll end up with the ball.

As for Clowney, I wouldn't ride him too much. I doubt he'll even be on the field, because I've never seen the Packers use a 4-5 WR formation in a long time.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's nice for a team to have a burner WR out there because it sets up the possession type guys. Frankly though, I'm happy as heck with DD, Jennings, Jones, and Ruvell as the first four. They are sure-handed which is the #1 need. Give me those WRs who average 10+ yds per catch every time. The chains keep moving and create a beautiful sound.

Reaction score
I agree with the consensus of this thread: speed is being emphasized too much.

What we have are very quick and smart WRs. Each WR has shown the ability to find a soft spot in coverage, and take advantage of that.

Also, they are able to hold their own in blocking CBs on a run.

All of those things are more important than speed. But I expect overall, we'll be a faster group at WR this year, as I think Bodiford and Clowney will make the roster, and they both have good, if not great, speed.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to look at the offense and the personnel as well. I thought one of Shermans' problems was a hybred West Coast that called for longer pass plays.
That worked when:
A) Brett was in his prime
B) We had an experienced "0" line
C) WR's that could get down there and catch it.

He did not adjust as Favre got older and the personnel changed and it was a disaster. There's a lot of teams out there just like us that can certainly hit a home run pass now and then but just don't have the type of offense or personnel to ask for it all the time.

This is NOT a Marino to Clayton offense but that doesn't mean it can't be a good offense. Besides, as good as Miami was at it they seldom got anywhere with it.

I have said this before but while it's not **** to pick up a tough third down #3 that can move the chains vs. a home run hitter that may do that every few games we really need that first guy more than the last one.

Especially if that #3 is willing to go across the middle which opens lanes for the other two. That creates more opportunities more often than an occassional burner going deep. You can't get it both ways. Burners are normally ******* in tight pants.

How the hell do you think they learned to run so fast?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Did we have a speedy WR when we went to the last two Super Bowls winning one?

I don't believe Freeman was a burner, nor was Rison. Beebe was fast.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 40. Run your route, get open. Run the ball effectively and keep the D guessing with a balanced offense. Our WR's are not the weak link.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They say you cannot teach speed, and this is true - although I assume through proper training people can get somewhat faster. However, speed does not guarantee success as a WR, nor does it guarantee big plays. Great route running, the ability to get off the line of scrimmage, vision/moves after the catch, size, hands are all more important to the success of a WR. There is also often times a difference between shorts speed and game speed. If you can add blazing speed to this package of attributes, you then would have a very special player.

Our receivers while not gifted with blazing speed, seem to exhibit enough of the other attributes to be very sucessful in the NFL. Although it would be nice to have a little more size and speed(Moss - like)