Really would like to keep activity high here....

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
in the off season. I know it would be tough to have the traffic this place gets when GB is playing, but I would like to try to get the other sports more activity. There really isn't a Bucks forum out there, or even a decent Brewers forum either. I just want to start getting more activity there some how and hopefully the site gets a little better ranking on google for those teams.

Any ideas on how to push those sections a little more?

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Why not put links to those forums by name at the the top of the Packer Forum pages rather than the generic "Forums" if those are a priority for driving traffic? Making those links in larger more prominent fonts wouldn't hurt. It is easy to overlook that those other forums exist.

Doing the same on the other forums couldn't hurt, links to the Packers and Bucks forums on the Brewers page, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Send out a site wide email reminding posters of them

When new users register I can send same email alerting them

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THis was a football first forum, that's why i'm here. Honestly I'd never even look for a baseball or basketball forum. I don't care about them that much. I love baseball, don't love talking ab out MLB though like I do the NFL. When either team is doing well I'll pay a bit more attention, but it's still not a level like the nfl is for me.

and now with basketball suspended, what's left to talk about :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
THis was a football first forum, that's why i'm here. Honestly I'd never even look for a baseball or basketball forum. I don't care about them that much. I love baseball, don't love talking ab out MLB though like I do the NFL. When either team is doing well I'll pay a bit more attention, but it's still not a level like the nfl is for me.

Soccer?

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nope.now that's suspended

Everything is suspended.

I know this was a football forum first and I know there will be users that don't like or care about basketball/baseball, but just want your thoughts on what would be the best way about getting some more activity in those forums.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drop a post in one of them every day, then it comes up on my "new posts". At least then I'd see it and maybe respond. I'm sure other users browse the sight differently, but it's always new posts and read for me.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
possible to rebrand as a wisconsin sports forum and just have this domain linked to it?
front news page with a section for each major sport with recent news, interviews, podcast, etc.
assign a moderator to just link to our stuff on a bunch of other wisco websites, facebook, twitter, youtube vids, reddit, etc.
giddyup
disclaimer, i have no idea what i'm talking about

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I need some clarification first....

Are you referring to forums within THIS website? Under the PackerForum URL or are you referring to separate URLs for the Brewers and Bucks?

Personally I'm against this, I'm just a Packer fan. I'm not super big on basketball or baseball. I don't get into basketball until the playoffs with the exception of some marquee games and I hardly get into baseball if at all until games 5-7 of the World Series.

The only reason I like the Bucks right now is because they play spoiler to LeBron(and I'll always say MJ was better). But when they eventually get blown up like the Warriors, then I'll move on to the next team.

I don't follow the Brewers at all. The only time I watch baseball is when I'm overseas, because they're the only games being played live when I'm awake because they last for 3-5 hours.

The only way to increase meaningful traffic during the offseason is to:

1. Recruit more members

2. Current members grow in their dedication to following the team

Only one of those you can reasonably affect, and it's going to take some money to do it.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Overall, this is probably one of the best Packers fan sites and I would encourgae you to grow that core business. I am here for the football as both MLB and NBA have zero appeal to me. A quick check of the ol' interwebs (Search: Brewers MLB forum) shows multiple dedicated Brewers sites and these are the people you would need to attract. The issue is that they would be leaving their dedicated site for a sub forum on a football site. The NBA is even more difficult because hard core fans tend to follow player rather than teams.

My 2 cents is that the multiple forums (20) and sub forums creates a bit of confusion/clutter as where to post and can be frustrating at times. Have you considered reducing the number of forums? I know that I tend to gravitate and post in threads with more replies and views.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This IS a GB football forum. I love the Brewers and Bucks, but don’t feel like commenting on them here.

But we live in a democracy (sort of), so post away!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall, this is probably one of the best Packers fan sites and I would encourgae you to grow that core business. I am here for the football as both MLB and NBA have zero appeal to me. A quick check of the ol' interwebs (Search: Brewers MLB forum) shows multiple dedicated Brewers sites and these are the people you would need to attract. The issue is that they would be leaving their dedicated site for a sub forum on a football site. The NBA is even more difficult because hard core fans tend to follow player rather than teams.

My 2 cents is that the multiple forums (20) and sub forums creates a bit of confusion/clutter as where to post and can be frustrating at times. Have you considered reducing the number of forums? I know that I tend to gravitate and post in threads with more replies and views.
All good points. Baseball, basketball - I go elsewhere, usually the news or Bleacher Report of the Athletic (paid site).

Sky King

Reaction score
Links to other local WI sports would be a nice feature for those members who are also fans of those sports. For anybody else, I do not see how it could possibly matter. It would be easy to exercise the minor indifference that is needed to ignore a small handful of buttons discreetly placed on the screen.

It's a nice gesture to offer this feature BTW. Thanks for asking.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is my take: mlb and the crew while I am a fan, I am not in agreement with the way they have managed the team in 30 years! lousy...absolutely lousy. And the NBA is unwatchable due to constant travelling, double dribbling, and referees that appear blind. Baseball is a marathon and teams are allowed to load up mid season which is highest bidder rental league. No thanks. The NBA is an absolute marketing platform joke. True basketball is played in college, too bad really.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I don't follow other Wisconsin sports unless they make it into the post-season, then I might watch the games. I don't post on anything else except the Packers. Hence my joke of extending the season!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Maybe some more competitions with prizes might attract more interest ? Obviously it caused a few problems in the past with postage etc, but it MIGHT generate interest. Just saying

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's always politics. Against forum rules, I know. But add a political section and I bet it would get some activity. Wouldn't be friendly, but I bet it would get activity.
I would say a heavy "no" to this. Unfortunately politics gets ugly...guaranteed. That will spill back over into the Packers forum. An outdoors forum that I was a part of splintered apart because of the "Politics - Keep It Civil" forum that got out of control. I would hate to see something similar happen here. Keep it sports.

Sky King

Reaction score
you mean football, a sport played by kicking a round ball virtually all the time :whistling::whistling:
This is where things get a bit muddled.

It is true that water polo was once called "Football-On-The-Water but that was too long of a name and dangerous to boot due to the risk of drowning. It did not become Handball, although it must be considered that the name was already taken by a different kind of ball-centric sporting event which is the issue here as well.

Then there's regular polo. It is definitely not called Malletball-Played-By-Rich-Guys-On-Horseback, though it could be.

And hockey, another sport whose all-to-familiar theme is to launch an object into a net, is not referred to as Stickpuck-On-Ice even though it would so qualify.

Lacrosse, another run around and get the ball in the net sport is not called Longstickball or Stickball for short. The latter actually a game popularized on the streets of New York and other eastern US cities. This game more closely resembles baseball than cricket, the actual sport that morphed into baseball in function and name within the western hemisphere, at least initially. Plagiarizing that name would also have caused confusion if there had been American cricket to go along with the rest of the world's cricket. Besides, we already had Buddy Holly and the Crickets over here beginning well over half a century ago and they utilized musical instruments, not sporting props -- although that's not to say that even more confusion and debate would not have ensued if an unprecedented THREE distinctly different disciplines used the common name of cricket. No doubt it would have.

That brings us to which fans should call their particular sports "football." Let's ponder this for a moment. Football, aka soccer in the USA, indeed exclusively uses feet to propel a ball towards a net except for cheating purposes and also by the goalies and refs who can use their hands, too. And it's not called Feetball either although that would be the more appropriately descriptive name of the two because it requires pedal ambidexterity. It could be subtitled as Headball-Once-In-A-While or even Athletes-In-Short-Shorts-Who-Get-Wildly-Indignant-Whenever-A-Piece-Of-Paper-Is-Thrust-In-Their-Faceball. Way too verbose. No argument from me there. Like it or not, let's also keep in mind that no other sport shares the name soccer, so it would be exclusive to the sport. Football or Soccer? At least either would conveniently distill it all down to just a single immediately recognizable name. Like Beyonce, Elvis, or Pele.

As for the American version of football, the much too verbose Chuck, Run, and/or Catch-An-Oblong-Pointyended-Laced-Object-Over-A-Goaline-Or-Close-To-It-Then-Kick-It-Through-Upright-Pipes-For-Good-Measure pretty much describes the sport by its name alone. Since the punctuation to a score or the score itself is done with the foot. Well, you know what that comes down to calling it.

Solution: My recommendation would be to modernize the game of football (aka soccer in the USA) through changing its name to Pedosphere since that is also the surface that it is not-so-coincidentally played upon. Honk your horn if you agree.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts