"Realistic" WR Discussions...

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think part of the reason Mayfield is playing the way he is, is because we all know OBJ needs the ball and he is trying to get him the ball too much. They are trying for the big play instead of just taking what the defense gives him. I am sure Cleveland recognizes it but won't admit it. Much like the Packers right now, their offense needs to run through Chubb and set the rest up.

But I digress, I think that will be a problem with ANY team that would potentially get OBJ. He isn't an AJ Green / Julio / Hopkins, even Adams. Studs that stay quiet. He is a big diva and whoever is throwing to him, better throw him so much volume that it is going to take away some plays that are there because they're going for the big flashy play.

Just my opinion. He can obviously be a difference maker but I like the next man up chemistry they got going on right now. I like Adams as their #1 with a solid #2 that will create space for Adams just being on the field.

Mayfield is playing the way he is bc that OL is awful.

D

Deleted member 6794

Abundant of Trade rumours for OBJ. He hasn't even been targeted much this season.

And Browns O-Line is in shambles. So if we can offer them a Guard/Tackle/Centre plus a high draft pick, we might end up getting OBJ.

It's not unrealistic, but imho a bit of a reach to get this trade.

I'm convinced the Browns won't trade OBJ anytime soon.

What do we open up in cap space by ditching Graham next year?

The Packers would save $8 million in cap space by releasing Graham before the start of next season.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jesus Christ guys. He made a couple big plays but just slow the hell down anointing him as the #2 or #3 WR.

Its the ultimate reactionary crazy fan mindset to think a guy should be in a starting role based on 4 catches.
My "reactionary crazy mindset" is more because of the LACK of production from MVS, Allison, Kumerow & Shepherd WHEN they were in the spotlight and needed. Doesn't matter how good you are in practice or preseason if you wilt and/or stay in the shadows during the game. There's a reason AR went to talk to the WR coach and asked for #13 to get a chance ~ he NEEDS someone to run a route and get open!

IMHO Lazard deserves a shot at #2 (or #3 at worst) standing because he came to play and produced. How many more games must AR search for a WR to get open?

D

Deleted member 6794

Just rumours for now. But something is clearly not working as they haven't lived to even 10% of their preseason hype. Wait and see what changes.

There's no doubt the Browns haven't performed up to expectations but that doesn't mean they're interested in trading OBJ only months after acquiring him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Busy day for Gute. Not so sure he fixed much with Ryan Grant, but it might mean Allison's injury will keep him out awhile or Shepherd will be seeing a lot less playing time at WR.

The Green Bay Packers signed WR Ryan Grant, released RB Tra Carson, signed RB Damarea Crockett and CB Tremon Smith to the practice squad and released TE Ethan Wolf from the practice squad.

If nothing else, Gute is keeping busy trying to make moves intended to improve the team over the long haul.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're getting him from Raiders :sneaky:

Like a one for one replacement for GMo! Doubt he really improves the squad...apart from not being injured ofc.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers signed WR Ryan Grant, released RB Tra Carson, signed RB Damarea Crockett and CB Tremon Smith to the practice squad and released TE Ethan Wolf from the practice squad.
Two players recently with the Raiders. Info gathering? And one that we cut last week. He was our kick returner for a few weeks. Pressure on Shepherd?
I figured Carson was expendable after Williams return last week.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Madison ready? If so, Lucas Patrick is one option. Plus other stuff like hopefully [probably no] Graham and our 1st round. That is in the mid 20's at best.

Oh. Great.

A backup iOL and a late first round pick for an elite WR. Who could say no to that?!

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Madison ready? If so, Lucas Patrick is one option. Plus other stuff like hopefully [probably no] Graham and our 1st round. That is in the mid 20's at best.

I don't see anyone trading anything for Graham unless Gute has a picture of them in a clown suit with a goat and a 6 pack of Zima.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well if they are going to trade for a wide receiver, the sooner the better.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I literally just was looking through free agents and was gonna bring up Ryan Grant.....well lookie who just signed!

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we need chain moving, chain moving gives us more opportunities at big plays than going for big plays all the time.
YES!! that has to be the focus of the O, the play caller, and the qb. mccarthy's O morphed from that to the big play O that failed and got everyone fired. that's why the dal game was hopefully a turning point. rodgers comments after that game were good to hear. last week they seemed to slip back some but we'll see. there was too much shotgun and holding the ball. but we'll see.

Reaction score
Not to be a Danny Downer, but he fits Street FA in October to a T.
I think you’re underestimating the possibility for a bigger plan. A two Prong attack so to speak. But that’s just my opinion.
I wouldn’t be setting up camp just yet.. or you may be feeding your dinner to another Division coming through your rear woods.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not to be a Danny Downer, but he fits Street FA in October to a T.

While I am not unhappy about Grant, I agree with you. This feels more like a TT mid season signing due to injuries and not a "we need a 2nd or 3rd WR because Adams and Allison are hurt and we are 5-1. Basically, Grant is a step in the right direction, but a small one.

This 5-1 start has surprised me and I do believe the defense is legit. The offense could be, but has an obvious lack in receiver talent. So, I only hope that this signing of Grant is followed by trading away a future pick (3rd or later) for a better quality WR to go along with Davante for the last half of a season that now has some potential. It wouldn't surprise me if Gute might even try to target a TE like OJ Howard or Austin Hooper. Graham isn't providing what the Packers need at TE and unless that changes dramatically, he is done after this season. Either Howard or Hooper may just be the punch the Packer offense needs and thought they would be getting from Graham by now. Would also be a dynamic building block for the future to pair with Sternberger.

Potential WR Targets (ordered by what I would view as best signing to least preferred)
  • Corey Davis
  • Golden Tate
  • Mohamed Sanu
  • Emmanuel Sanders
  • AJ Green
Davis is still on his rookie deal for another season after this. I think he would be a great trade, but probably the most expensive as far as draft assets needed to get him.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While I am not unhappy about Grant, I agree with you. This feels more like a TT mid season signing due to injuries and not a "we need a 2nd or 3rd WR because Adams and Allison are hurt and we are 5-1. Basically, Grant is a step in the right direction, but a small one.

This 5-1 start has surprised me and I do believe the defense is legit. The offense could be, but has an obvious lack in receiver talent. So, I only hope that this signing of Grant is followed by trading away a future pick (3rd or later) for a better quality WR to go along with Davante for the last half of a season that now has some potential. It wouldn't surprise me if Gute might even try to target a TE like OJ Howard or Austin Hooper. Graham isn't providing what the Packers need at TE and unless that changes dramatically, he is done after this season. Either Howard or Hooper may just be the punch the Packer offense needs and thought they would be getting from Graham by now. Would also be a dynamic building block for the future to pair with Sternberger.

Potential WR Targets (ordered by what I would view as best signing to least preferred)
  • Corey Davis
  • Golden Tate
  • Mohamed Sanu
  • Emmanuel Sanders
  • AJ Green
Davis is still on his rookie deal for another season after this. I think he would be a great trade, but probably the most expensive as far as draft assets needed to get him.

Yeah, I hope so too. And I don't buy at all that this signing makes a trade any less likely. They just need bodies right now, for this week.

Reaction score

• Corey Davis
  • Golden Tate
  • Mohamed Sanu
  • Emmanuel Sanders
  • AJ Green
Davis is still on his rookie deal for another season after this. I think he would be a great trade, but probably the most expensive as far as draft asset needed to get him.
AJ Green would be my favorite option. He’s also on a team who hasn’t won a game and he’s in a contract year, which to me is a recipe for negotiations. He’s really a #1 production Wideout though, so he would demand a higher draft pick. My intuition tells me we just need a solid #2 veteran to add some more experience.

Corey Davis would fit that Bill, but his contract is back heavy, so we’d absorb the bulk of it... However that might be the exact reason they would deal him and not ask for the moon as far as draft picks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Corey Davis would fit that Bill, but his contract is back heavy, so we’d absorb the bulk of it... However that might be the exact reason they would deal him and not ask for the moon as far as draft picks.

Trying to figure out what you mean by "back heavy"? Are you talking about a 2021 5th year option? That could be pricey, but the remainder of this season and next, would totally be affordable.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/corey-davis-21746/

I actually think due to his age and upside, even though the Titans aren't looking good this season, they probably aren't going to part with him and even if they would, they would want a really high draft pick (#1 or #2) to do so.

Members online

Latest posts