"Realistic" WR Discussions...

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt, man. I'm hoping they still hold him out against LAC. Keep F'in wanting to type in SD... Anyhow, it would give Davante an additional 3 solid weeks to let that sucker heal more. Seems like that would be a smart move.

I'd love to have him full on GO through our run to finish the season, through the playoffs, and to walking down the steps of the plane holding the Lombardi Trophy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No doubt, man. I'm hoping they still hold him out against LAC. Keep F'in wanting to type in SD... Anyhow, it would give Davante an additional 3 solid weeks to let that sucker heal more. Seems like that would be a smart move.

He would have to be held out for the Panthers game too. But yes, if he doesn't play this week and the Packers offense plays well, it wouldn't shock me if they held him out for the home game against Carolina too. Have him ready to go on Nov. 24th for the big game with the 49'ers, as well as the stretch run of the season!

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've been rolling without Adams. When he finally comes back, it'll almost be like we made a move to pick up a #1 receiver!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Steelers released Donte Moncrief. I'd give that a try for sure.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure he's worth a look, he's done nothing since he left the Colts....have we any reports on Ryan Grant?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not sure he's worth a look, he's done nothing since he left the Colts....have we any reports on Ryan Grant?

48/663/3 last year with the Jags. 5.1 YAC per reception. Obviously nothing this year, hence why he's available.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Not saying we should or shouldn't try to sign him, but what an absolute DUD for the Steelers! They signed him to a 2 year deal, $9M/yr. He plays in just 5 games, gets paid $4.3 million from the Steelers. Not bad for 4 catches and 18 yds.

Now the good news and smart play for the Steelers. By releasing him now, he doesn't count against their compensatory picks for 2020. Moncrief would have cost them a third-round compensatory pick for losing running back Le'Veon Bell. But because Moncrief has now been released before Week 10, the third-round pick for Bell is expected to go back to the Steelers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not saying he's bound to bounce back, but if GB ended up banged up at wide receiver later on this season, I would feel way better about activating Moncrief than Grant

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's bound to bounce back, but if GB ended up banged up at wide receiver later on this season, I would feel way better about activating Moncrief than Grant
I agree. Moncrief, for whatever reasons, just didn't work out in Pittsburgh, he can be a decent option as a #4 or #5 guy on a roster like the Packers.

Pretty obvious after reading more, the Steelers wanted the compensatory pick. They probably would have released him at the end of the year anyway, but if they waited, they would have lost out on the pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

Some very valid points and this possibly was one of the silver linings with Davante's injury, it somewhat forced MLF to find more creative ways to use all of his pass catchers. The success over the last 4 games with it, is probably going to lead Gute to not make a last minute trade for a WR as well.

With #12 at QB, as long as MLF and the Packers offense keeps mixing it up like they have and spreading the ball around, once Davante is back, they may find they really didn't need another high end WR on the roster. The big test will be against the better defenses. Ones that are able to cover Jones AND Davante and force the Packers to try and hurt them with the rest of their options.

Sunday nights game probably ended the ability to match Aaron Jones up with just an average coverage LB, the Chiefs kept doing it and kept getting burned. I doubt other defenses are going to make that same mistake.

Opposing defenses will have to pick their poison though. If they decide to put a cornerback on Jones going forward another receiver should be able to benefit from having a mismatch.

I'd love to have him full on GO through our run to finish the season, through the playoffs, and to walking down the steps of the plane holding the Lombardi Trophy.

With Adams being able to jump over people I don't consider there's any need to hold him out of games any further.

It might be worth bringing in Moncrief for a workout.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

The good news with Moncrief, if the Packers are interested, I doubt that he will be claimed off of waivers, due to his current contract having to be assumed by that team. So if the Packers want him, it will most likely be a FA signing with a new contract. Probably a contract that doesn't have much in the way of guarantees.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's officially time.....

For Jordy R Nelson to return.

Bring him in now, don't play him this week as you also got the bye next week for him to learn LaFleur and voila... he's good as new @ San Fran. We should be ready for him to replace G-Mo or Kumerow. G-Mo hasn't shown he can stay healthy and IF he is healthy he isn't even a #3. He was nothing more than a solid #4 option with the Dallas defense that game more focused on Adams, Jared Cook, and Cobb than him. Kumerow is similar in both respects as being consistently injured and unproductive, only difference is that Allison has shown something and as a tier 4 receiver and Kumerow hasn't even sniffed that.

Best case scenario he's the new #2 that also helps along the young guys. Worst case scenario he's slower than Blake Martinez and he's a washed up #5 who isn't any worse than anybody currently on the roster. It's a win win.

It's go time!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bring him in now, don't play him this week as you also got the bye next week for him to learn LaFleur and voila... he's good as new @ San Fran. We should be ready for him to replace G-Mo or Kumerow. G-Mo hasn't shown he can stay healthy and IF he is healthy he isn't even a #3. He was nothing more than a solid #4 option with the Dallas defense that game more focused on Adams, Jared Cook, and Cobb than him. Kumerow is similar in both respects as being consistently injured and unproductive, only difference is that Allison has shown something and as a tier 4 receiver and Kumerow hasn't even sniffed that.

Best case scenario he's the new #2 that also helps along the young guys. Worst case scenario he's slower than Blake Martinez and he's a washed up #5 who isn't any worse than anybody currently on the roster. It's a win win.

It's go time!

The whitetail rut is in and Jordy can focus on it for the first time in years, let's let him have fun at home in Kansas.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nelson is retired and won't come back to play for the Packers. He wouldn't present an upgrade at this point anyway.

BTW wasn't this thread meant to be about realistic possibilities???

Last edited by a moderator:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson is retired and won't come back to play for the Packers. He wouldn't present an upgrade at this point anyway.

BTW wasn't this thread meant to be about realistic possibilities???

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/03/jordy-nelson-would-consider-coming-back-to-join-packers/

Not sure what you're basing 'he wouldn't present an upgrade' on, but I'd say it's worth a shot. He caught 71.6 % of his passes in Oakland last year and that wasn't a very good offense. Brett Hundley will make anyone look worse. I'm not saying he would be a for sure #2, I'm just saying it's such a low risk to try it out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Interesting.

Skip Bayless says Odell Beckham has privately suggested he’d like to play in Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers. OBJ did just sign a huge extension and the Browns just traded for him, but it would cost CLE less than $3M in dead cap to deal him again.

Besides the cost to obtain him from Cleveland (1st or 2nd round) would he be worth paying $15M/year for 4 years? He just turned 27 and besides some of his shenanigans on the field, if you keep him happy and #12 might be able to do that, he and Davante could pose quite a threat.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting.

Skip Bayless says Odell Beckham has privately suggested he’d like to play in Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers. OBJ did just sign a huge extension and the Browns just traded for him, but it would cost CLE less than $3M in dead cap to deal him again.

Besides the cost to obtain him from Cleveland (1st or 2nd round) would he be worth paying $15M/year for 4 years? He just turned 27 and besides some of his shenanigans on the field, if you keep him happy and #12 might be able to do that, he and Davante could pose quite a threat.

I simply don't think fiscally this would make sense. No arguing the duo of him and Adams would be nasty.

Reaction score
I don’t like putting my eggs in one basket, especially a basket that has holes. Id rather spread my resources across several positions of need. That 15M saved and a day 1 pick etc.. can go a long ways in putting together a supporting cast for Aaron.
Not to mention you’d get players still in their prime and ones that may be more team oriented.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Gute is going to use the #1 pick on another Rashan Gary type player, we're better off trading it away.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Gute is going to use the #1 pick on another Rashan Gary type player, we're better off trading it away.

Well we wont be having a top 20 pick it appears, so I am fine with more of a Jaire Alexander type pick with the first rounder.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The NFL informed clubs today that projections for the 2020 salary cap are in the range of $196.8 million to $201.2 million. This marks a 40% increase from five years ago in the 2015 season ($143.3 million).

This is about a $10M increase from last season.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Skip being Skip for a headline article.

Do you know how many players have probably "privately suggested" they would like to play with Aaron Rodgers? I'd put my money on about 95% of the league.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Interesting.

I wouldn't be in favor of it.

Beckham is a diva, and that's annoying, but really not the reason I would prefer to pass.

If they traded for him, then you'd have roughly 15% of the cap tied up in two wide receivers. I don't think that's the way you build a successful roster.

They need to add talent at wide receiver for sure, but I think that a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy who will count, at most, 2.5M next year plus spending the rest of that money on keeping Bulaga or finding a real solution next to Clark, etc. would be a more effective allocation of resources.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be in favor of it, but not at $15M. If Cleveland wants a 1st, they're going to have to eat $3M of that contract per year. If we have to pay all of it, then they only get a 2nd, and a 3rd next year. If he's truly disgruntled, either teams will overpay or wait for the price to go down.

What's more realistic is Davante Parker. I was a naysayer before, but he would be a realistic addition to replace Kumerow and Allison. If the Dolphins are looking to rebuild from the bottom up, I'd start with a 4th this year and a 4th next year.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be in favor of it, but not at $15M. If Cleveland wants a 1st, they're going to have to eat $3M of that contract per year. If we have to pay all of it, then they only get a 2nd, and a 3rd next year. If he's truly disgruntled, either teams will overpay or wait for the price to go down.

What's more realistic is Davante Parker. I was a naysayer before, but he would be a realistic addition to replace Kumerow and Allison. If the Dolphins are looking to rebuild from the bottom up, I'd start with a 4th this year and a 4th next year.
I'd try throwing a '20 4th and a young player (Josh Jackson & his 1.7Mil cap, or Oren Burks). They claimed Pankey off of waivers so are looking for young, cheap up-and-comers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts