"Realistic" WR Discussions...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's interesting to note that the Patriots currently don't have enough cap space to acquire Sanu. That might mean the Falcons will continue to pay at least part of his salary resulting in them getting a better draft pick.

Saw that and I don't think the Falcons can pick up the tab.

New England only has about $2.4 million in cap space available for the remainder of the season and brought in a player who’s cap hit is more than what the Patriots can afford ($3.53M). Now, New England must not only make a corresponding move to free up a roster spot but also some money to fit Sanu onto the roster. Wouldn't surprise me to see them dump Michael Bennett.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just had the same thought and wanted to post it! LOL

If the Packers are still in the trade market for a WR, teams looking to offload one are going to point to this and say "BB was willing to give up a 2nd for Sanu, so we want more for our guy who is better". Doesn't mean the Packers have to pay it, but might decrease the "great deals" that might have been out there.

Who knows, maybe that was part of BB's plan, "freeze the market, so other teams can't improve". :whistling: :cool: :devilish:

I do wonder how many times this had been heard in the Green Bay Packer offices over the last few weeks, "Is it time to look into Dez or Antonio?" Followed by a "we aren't THAT desperate yet."

BB is always playing chess, never know what that guy is up to. Just read on ESPN they are projected to get two 3rds for Trey Flowers and Trent Brown leaving. So they gave up a 2nd and will get a 1st and two 3rds next year. So while it appears steep and could tilt the market...they are barely going to feel it. Has to be so frustrating as a owner/coach to figure out WTF they have going on.

I hope they are NEVER that desperate to give either of those two a call. And after a 5 TD performance, I am sure they are content with what Rodgers has. Which I hope isn't a mistake.

D

Deleted member 6794

Saw that and I don't think the Falcons can pick up the tab.

New England only has about $2.4 million in cap space available for the remainder of the season and brought in a player who’s cap hit is more than what the Patriots can afford ($3.53M). Now, New England must not only make a corresponding move to free up a roster spot but also some money to fit Sanu onto the roster. Wouldn't surprise me to see them dump Michael Bennett.

According to Over The Cap the Falcons could continue to pay Sanu's salary without it counting against the Pats cap.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope they are NEVER that desperate to give either of those two a call. And after a 5 TD performance, I am sure they are content with what Rodgers has. Which I hope isn't a mistake.

I hope the Packers are viewing that 5 TD performance in the correct light. That was mostly #12 playing one of the best games of his career. When you look at some of those passes, they were dropped right in the perfect location that even Jeff Janis would have had a career day.

Rodgers and the Packers offense aren't always going to be THAT good or facing Oakland. While I am liking the progress of a few of the younger WR's, I'm not sure I am content to say "All we need is a healthy Adams and the rest will do." I keep thinking "What could Rodgers and this offense be doing with a bonafide #2 WR threat?" I still think sticking with this corp group of WR's might cost us a few games, especially against the better defenses, which is typically what you see in the playoffs.

One week to go before the trade deadline, once that date passes, its Dez, Antonio or bust. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
According to Over The Cap the Falcons could continue to pay Sanu's salary without it counting against the Pats cap.
I will trust that you are correct, but that is kind of odd and shocking to me. Seems a total work around and manipulation of the salary cap, as well as collusion between 2 teams.

The Pats could sign him to a new contract that pays him a minimum salary and the rest of the balance in the form of signing bonus, which is prorated over the life of the contract.

Whatever they do, they obviously have a plan and maybe that will include Brady being restructured as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know the cap rules, so I guess they haven't broken any or the trade wouldn't be permitted.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know the cap rules, so I guess they haven't broken any or the trade wouldn't be permitted.
If they have....Emperor BB will figure out a way to use the force.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

saw a tidbit this morning that said the entire pat's wr group make less than $13m.

The Patriots wide receiving corps currently counts $18.57 million towards the cap this season. That's more than the Packers spent on theirs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sanu's reaction when he got the news he was leaving Cincinnati Atlanta and joining a top contender!

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think fans overestimate the impact that a WR trade would have on this team. People just look at Amari Cooper and assume that WR trades work out. Historically, the vasy majority of receivers traded mid-season underwhelm. It takes time to learn the offense, develop timing and earn the trust of the QB; MVS is looking pretty good and IT'S ONLY YEAR TWO FOR HIM! I would much rather the Packers keep their second round pick rather than send it to some other team for a receiver that won't add much to the offense when Adams comes back (I'm assuming a 2nd rounder because NE pretty much just set the market).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
why was he in Cincinnati? Hookers and Cocaine?

Brain fart on my part, I had AJ Green on my mind and Sanu was a former Bengal. I actually was hoping the Packers would try to sign Sanu back in 2016 when he left the Bengals.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brain fart on my part, I had AJ Green on my mind and Sanu was a former Bengal. I actually was hoping the Packers would try to sign Sanu back in 2016 when he left the Bengals.
I know, but heck if I'm missing a chance to bust your chops :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I really think fans overestimate the impact that a WR trade would have on this team. People just look at Amari Cooper and assume that WR trades work out.

As well as some fans underestimate the impact a WR trade could have on a team. Not going to debate it with you, because both of us could find examples to prove our points. All that said, if the Packers feel they have a legit shot at a SB this year and a WR could improve that chance enough to warrant an investment, I wouldn't let the history of other teams past failures prevent them from pulling the trigger.

If we were 3-4 or even 4-3 and looking mediocre, I wouldn't even be talking about trades right now. However, at 6-1 and what appears to be a team that has exceeded expectations, just like Bill Belichick, now is the time to make moves that help improve your odds of being there for the big dance, without mortgaging your future too much.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As well as some fans underestimate the impact a WR trade could have on a team. Not going to debate it with you, because both of us could find examples to prove our points. All that said, if the Packers feel they have a legit shot at a SB this year and a WR could improve that chance enough to warrant an investment, I wouldn't let the history of other teams past failures prevent them from pulling the trigger.
I always liked the Packers signing Andre Rison in '96. If only because of the soundbite where he's on the sideline in the Super Bowl and says something like "They can't beat us. We got the MVP throwing us the ball!". He had a bit of an oversized personality, but I thought it helped give GB a bit more of an edge.

H

HardRightEdge

how does that work?

I thought the cap was the cap and not like baseball where one team can pay to ease or take the burden and make a trade happen?
I believe you are correct. I have never heard of an NFL team assuming somebody else's cap cost in a trade. It would defeat the purpose of a hard cap.

New England will probably cut somebody or renegotiate somebody to clear cap space. They don't need much to cover Sanu's remaining 2019 cap. Who knows, they might evern renegotiate Sanu's deal, converting salary to signing bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Personally, I am not looking at someone like Sanu as a replacement for MVS, but a replacement for G-Mo. I still like MVS and his potential, but I think the Packer offense would be much more lethal with Adams-MVS-*insert name of another teams #2-3 WR*

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Chargers not doing so well. Would love to go to them and toss them a 1st rounder for Keenan Allen. Having a combo of Adams and Allen along with MVS, Lazard, Kumerow, and Allison would be a great setup of WR's. Maybe swapping out EQS for Allison next year.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Chargers not doing so well. Would love to go to them and toss them a 1st rounder for Keenan Allen. Having a combo of Adams and Allen along with MVS, Lazard, Kumerow, and Allison would be a great setup of WR's. Maybe swapping out EQS for Allison next year.
The chargers have to play the Packers on November 3...

Reaction score
why was he in Cincinnati? Hookers and Cocaine?
I heard he’s hanging out with Lonnie Anderson and Dr Johnny Fever. But it was just a rumor so take that with a grain of salt.
What we really need at WR is a young version of Venus Flytrap. How could you go wrong with that name!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Sanders being traded to the 49ers along with a 5th round pick in exchange for SF's 3rd and 4th round picks.