"Realistic" WR Discussions...

Reaction score
You have a hunch about what specifically?

Your second reply makes no sense as you must have misread what I said about AJ Green. I agree it's not going to happen.

'You have zero answers'. I answered your question. I gave you a full 2 post explanation about what I wanted. It's cool if you can't comprehend paragraphs, but don't try to act smarter than you are when you aren't even reading what I post. Maybe you are reading it, you just can't comprehend what I'm saying?..
No I comprehend. I just choose not to partake in posters who present themselves as self proclaimed experts. But when questioned? They are as lost as the rest of us.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
they keep putting more and more together, I don't think they're trading for anyone

While I would like to see them go out and get a starting level WR, a game like this might end that talk or at least delay it another week (trade deadline 10/29). I haven't really followed the Raiders, is it fair to say that their defense and more specifically, their pass defense is average or worse? How will the Packer offense stack up against the better teams with this group of receivers?

I may have to shift my focus back to the need for a quality ILB. Burks is back playing again, yet the middle of the field defense is still lacking. Between Martinez, Burks and Goodson, our defense has a large weak spot. Whether the Packers could find a quality ILB via a trade, is a whole other question.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While I would like to see them go out and get a starting level WR, a game like this might end that talk or at least delay it another week (trade deadline 10/29). I haven't really followed the Raiders, is it fair to say that their defense and more specifically, their pass defense is average or worse? How will the Packer offense stack up against the better teams with this group of receivers?

I may have to shift my focus back to the need for a quality ILB. Burks is back playing again, yet the middle of the field defense is still lacking. Between Martinez, Burks and Goodson, our defense has a large weak spot. Whether the Packers could find a quality ILB via a trade, is a whole other question.

The Raiders' defense has been terrible against the pass all year.

Sutton and Sanders both had good games against them week one.

Mahomes threw 443 and four scores without Hill. That was the game DeMarcus Robinson went nuts, and he really hasn't done much else this year.

The Vikings didn't throw much against them because they didn't have to, but it was effective when they did.

The Colts were pretty meh in the passing game, but they were also without T.Y. Hilton.

Chase Daniel was efficient moving the ball against them.

The Packers may decide not to acquire a receiver, but they shouldn't base that decision on this game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

So here is my question-- do you trade for a guy who can cover in man, or for a guy who plays the run well? Because even if you found an upgraded version of Goodson or an upgraded version of Greene, I think you would still have the same issue of being imbalanced because of Martinez's inherent limitations.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So here is my question-- do you trade for a guy who can cover in man, or for a guy who plays the run well? Because even if you found an upgraded version of Goodson or an upgraded version of Greene, I think you would still have the same issue of being imbalanced because of Martinez's inherent limitations.

Yup and a great question and one I have wondered about as well. Was going to write a bunch of stuff about it, but didn't want to bring the day down. :D

I almost think at this point you find a better version of Martinez, since his contract is up at the end of the year. Play him next to Martinez on 1st and 2nd down and bring in Burks on 3rd down. Goodson has been playing a bit better, he actually was instrumental in the goal line stop on 4th down today, but I would prefer seeing him only used as a ST player and backup ILB.

Martinez's contract is up at the end of the season, so a guy you trade for now, might take over for him next year. Finding a solid ILB in a trade isn't going to be cheap, but I would think that a Mike would be easier to find and a bit cheaper. Hoping to find a good Will isn't probably going to happen right now. Wait for Free Agency or the draft on that.

My only other question, do the Packers know Martinez's limitations or are they still high on him and think his less than average play this season is due to not having anyone that good next to him and the DL not doing their job fully? Which for all I know, could be part of the problem as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers may decide not to acquire a receiver, but they shouldn't base that decision on this game.

I 110% agree with this and hope that the Packers do as well and this doesn't become a "trap game" as far as thinking the WR position is just fine as is. The success today had a lot to do with Rodgers playing at very high level, the OL and the Raiders lack of a good secondary. It was encouraging to see the WR's and Graham play well, but I don't think the Packers at 6-1, can get complacent and think all is fine, especially when Adams returns.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
goodson seems to be involved in more standout plays than Martinez the past few weeks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
goodson seems to be involved in more standout plays than Martinez the past few weeks.
I'm sure someone breaking down game tape will prove us wrong, but I would agree with you. He seems to be more noticeable, for some good things. Maybe it has taken him a while to get comfortable with Pettine's defense and his teammates?

I am also starting to wonder if Blake, being that this is his contract year, might be subconsciously playing to avoid injury and that has effected his game. Before the season started he seemed to have done enough to be a logical resign, now I am not so sure.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm sure someone breaking down game tape will prove us wrong, but I would agree with you. He seems to be more noticeable, for some good things. Maybe it has taken him a while to get comfortable with Pettine's defense and his teammates?

I am also starting to wonder if Blake, being that this is his contract year, might be subconsciously playing to avoid injury and that has effected his game. Before the season started he seemed to have done enough to be a logical resign, now I am not so sure.

It's true. Martinez has more range than Goodson, but he is unable or unwilling to come downhill and meet a runner in the hole. He waits for everything, and he's a drag down tackler so the majority of his stops give up yardage after contact.

This is why I think it's ludicrous that people give Martinez a pass because he's a "thumper" being asked to play two roles. To "thump" you have to actually play downhill. He does not. And somehow Goodson has come in and managed it despite playing in the same conditions as Martinez.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true. Martinez has more range than Goodson, but he is unable or unwilling to come downhill and meet a runner in the hole. He waits for everything, and he's a drag down tackler so the majority of his stops give up yardage after contact.

This is why I think it's ludicrous that people give Martinez a pass because he's a "thumper" being asked to play two roles. To "thump" you have to actually play downhill. He does not. And somehow Goodson has come in and managed it despite playing in the same conditions as Martinez.
I saw him, kind of attack the LOS twice yesterday and both times completely whiffed on the tackle attempt. The rest of the game was pretty much like you said, he sits and waits for everythingt o come to him. I saw one nice tackle on a pass play from him. that's it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would be surprised if Gute did anything in the next 8 days in regards to ILB, but who knows, he may surprise us. If he does go after an upgrade over Martinez, Burks or Goodson, I would be happy with either a Will or a Mike. However, I think the possibility of a team, even a bad team, wanting to part with a solid Will is going to be hard to find and expensive. Players like Ryan, I mean Hawk, I mean Martinez....are easier to come by.

Gute might make one splash trade in the next 8 days and it could be either a WR or an ILB, 2 positions that I feel we lack at.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is a WR thread.
Since when does Martinez play WR?

Maybe the Packers need to try him at WR? :coffee:

My apologies for taking part in a discussion not meant to derail the WR thread, but I can understand you are just doing your job.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure Nelson Agholor can be had for a low rounder after last night ;) ...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
So much for Sanu. Heading to New England for a second round pick. I really like Sanu, but wouldn’t have been willing to give up a second rounder.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So much for Sanu. Heading to New England for a second round pick. I really like Sanu, but wouldn’t have been willing to give up a second rounder.

Yeah, I have always liked Sanu, but a 2nd rounder for a 30 year older with only one more year left on his contract is too steep IMO.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that price was too rich.

I think that basically puts AJ Green out of the question. If Sanu is "worth" a 2nd round pick, I'd be shocked to see AJ go for just a 1st. Even coming off injury.

Kind of think Sanu's value decreases in New England as he's just one of the 7 pass catching weapons they have now. But playing defense against them won't be that fun.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think that basically puts AJ Green out of the question. If Sanu is "worth" a 2nd round pick, I'd be shocked to see AJ go for just a 1st. Even coming off injury.

I just had the same thought and wanted to post it! Although, I wasn't thinking about AJ, but the WR market in general.

If the Packers are still in the trade market for a WR, teams looking to offload one are going to point to this and say "BB was willing to give up a 2nd for Sanu, so we want more for our guy who is better". Doesn't mean the Packers have to pay it, but might decrease the "great deals" that might have been out there.

Who knows, maybe that was part of BB's plan, "freeze the market, so other teams can't improve". :whistling: :cool: :devilish:

I do wonder how many times this had been heard in the Green Bay Packer offices over the last few weeks, "Is it time to look into Dez or Antonio?" Followed by a "we aren't THAT desperate yet."

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has Sanu missed all of the 2019 season so far? I think they're similar in age. I would not give up a 1st for AJ and I don't think anybody else will. he's older, he's not even healthy and hasn't played in a long time in a meaningful game, fairly expensive and a FA at the end of the year.

Couple that with Adams going to be coming back and unless AJ Green can work that middle of the field and stay healthy i'm not sure we have a ton of use for him. Now if Adams wasn't going to be back this year, maybe i'd take a 1 year flier to keep hope alive, but still not for a 1st, no way.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's interesting to note that the Patriots currently don't have enough cap space to acquire Sanu. That might mean the Falcons will continue to pay at least part of his salary resulting in them getting a better draft pick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's interesting to note that the Patriots currently don't have enough cap space to acquire Sanu. That might mean the Falcons will continue to pay at least part of his salary.
how does that work?

I thought the cap was the cap and not like baseball where one team can pay to ease or take the burden and make a trade happen?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I LOVE Sanu and what he is and does for a team....but 3rd was about as high as I'd wanted us to go. Emmanuel Sanders is kinda the next guy perhaps on my totem of possibles....but dangit!

Members online

Latest posts