Randall Cobb

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I think Cobb is the most consistent. Or at least on par with Jordy. Both of them don't drop many passes and will usually always come through in clutch situations. I just feel that Cobb is more important to the offense due to his versatility and would be harder to replace, even though they do have a great replacement for him on the roster already.

I do think that both of them are completely safe for the remainder of their contracts though. If anything they would just restructure one of their contracts, or both. The reason I feel they would cut Jordy and not Cobb is because of age and if they were to shop and get a high end receiver, it's not going to be a slot receiver. Its going to be a receiver that will either take Adams' or Jordy's job. But again I truly believe that both of them along with Adams will be the Packers starting three for the next 2 seasons.

Montgomery is Cobb 2.0...so I wouldn't call him "irreplaceable". However Cobb is probably the toughest wr after the catch to bring down our if the group even tho he's probably the smallest.

H

HardRightEdge

Cobb is another guy who's played through injuries the last couple of years. Besides Adams, Bulaga is another guy not a few posters targeted for cap savings this past offseason, with no recognition he played on a torn meniscus. Now he's having perhaps his best season.

Twice this year Cobb's taken cheap shots to the head and neck while on the ground, but he keeps on ticking. Some value has to be allocated to the toughness factor.

Montgomery is an alternative, but somewhat limited as a threat downfield. Passing down back who can run the draw or shift to the slot to match up on a LB is his best spot...an audible tool. It's also worth noting he's not been durable so far.

Cobb: $12.75 cap - $6.5 dead cap = $6.25 mil cap savings in 2017. I kinda doubt he's going anywhere, but like projecting the draft it's too early to spend much mental energy thinking about it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's figured out how to make snow angels and not get flagged for it though and you can't pay enough for that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I prefer having Cobb returning Punts as well. Never understood Hyde being back there just to fair catch everything or watch the ball hit and roll another 20 yards. Having Cobb fielding punts puts him at a higher risk of getting hurt, but at this point in the season, you have to put it all on the line to win.

BTW Special teams players, when Cobb does let the ball hit.....can you PLEASE run as fast as you can away from the ball and don't try fielding it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer having Cobb returning Punts as well. Never understood Hyde being back there just to fair catch everything or watch the ball hit and roll another 20 yards. Having Cobb fielding punts puts him at a higher risk of getting hurt, but at this point in the season, you have to put it all on the line to win.

BTW Special teams players, when Cobb does let the ball hit.....can you PLEASE run as fast as you can away from the ball and don't try fielding it.
was that Hawkins? Wasn't sure just WTF he was thinking there either. Didn't appear to be a very bright decision. Thankfully he was able to secure it without any trouble.

But Hyde had his moments as return man. Not this year, but he wasn't always poor back there. He was never a burner, but seemed to have a decent ability to catch it and move forward thru traffic well enough. Had some good returns. the past couple games withstanding, it seemed like our attitude on punt returns was just field it and let the offense go. It's like they were coaching them not to even attempt anything other than a fair catch at times.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
was that Hawkins? Wasn't sure just WTF he was thinking there either. Didn't appear to be a very bright decision. Thankfully he was able to secure it without any trouble.

But Hyde had his moments as return man. Not this year, but he wasn't always poor back there. He was never a burner, but seemed to have a decent ability to catch it and move forward thru traffic well enough. Had some good returns. the past couple games withstanding, it seemed like our attitude on punt returns was just field it and let the offense go. It's like they were coaching them not to even attempt anything other than a fair catch at times.

I think that was Hawkins and just a WTF moment seeing him jump on that ball, for what purpose? The Packers special teams aren't the only ones guilty of it either, but if I am coaching special teams, the first lesson I teach....."If you aren't the returner and that ball hits the ground, get away from it!" Also, "know where that ball is at all times".

You are right. Hyde was a decent punt returner when he first started doing it a few years ago, but at some point last year he either got gun shy or was told to fair catch or let it bounce. I thought we might see Davis in this role, but he all of a sudden seems missing in action.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's been out since he muffed that punt a few weeks ago. I don't see him getting back on the field either unless something bad happens and it's out of necessity. It's crunch time, no more time to earn playing time. If he or any of these younger WR wanted playing time now, they needed to shine earlier, even with limited snaps. No way we should be running anyone else but Cobb, Nelson, Monty, Adams, and Cook. Any other active passing target is going to be very limited to rest, injury, or special situations i.e. End around or all big targets in red zone or something.

D

Deleted member 6794

You are right. Hyde was a decent punt returner when he first started doing it a few years ago, but at some point last year he either got gun shy or was told to fair catch or let it bounce. I thought we might see Davis in this role, but he all of a sudden seems missing in action.

In my opinion blocking has mostly been responsible for Hyde´s decline as a punt returner. It seems Cobb currently is more confident in his ability to get a decent gain resulting in less fair catches and decent yardage. Therefore I´m fine with him being the primary punt returner at the moment.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that was Hawkins and just a WTF moment seeing him jump on that ball, for what purpose? The Packers special teams aren't the only ones guilty of it either, but if I am coaching special teams, the first lesson I teach....."If you aren't the returner and that ball hits the ground, get away from it!" Also, "know where that ball is at all times".

Just for the record it was Marwin Evans jumping on the ball.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In my opinion blocking has mostly been responsible for Hyde´s decline as a punt returner. It seems Cobb currently is more confident in his ability to get a decent gain resulting in less fair catches and decent yardage. Therefore I´m fine with him being the primary punt returner at the moment.

While I agree that you need some blocking help to have a good run back of a punt, there were too many times in the past when Hyde was fair catching the ball without a lot of defenders around him. Sometimes you just have to have the confidence to catch that ball, make 1-2 guys miss and see what happens. It is also quite possible Hyde was being told by coaches to fair catch it. But at the end of the day, I will take Cobb back there over Hyde.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... I thought we might see Davis in this role, but he all of a sudden seems missing in action.

Didn't Davis muff that one against Tennessee when we finally got a stop after they scored TDs on their first 3 or 4 possessions?

H

HardRightEdge

Hyde was fair catching the ball without a lot of defenders around him.
Actually, not very often. Now for 2 seasons running.

On the first of Cobb's returns against Houston, no defender was within 15 yards of him at the moment he fielded the ball, and that guy was double-teamed.

The second return was pretty nifty breaking a tackle, but there was 5 yards of spacing with a blocker on that guy at the time of the catch.

He may have been the beneficiary of a slick field more than some new-found blocking acumen.

I have no problem with either Cobb or Hyde back there if the return unit can get blocks on the opponent, particularly the gunners, providing some room to work. Otherwise, it doesn't matter who's back there with the only requirement being "don't drop it".

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree that you need some blocking help to have a good run back of a punt, there were too many times in the past when Hyde was fair catching the ball without a lot of defenders around him. Sometimes you just have to have the confidence to catch that ball, make 1-2 guys miss and see what happens. It is also quite possible Hyde was being told by coaches to fair catch it. But at the end of the day, I will take Cobb back there over Hyde.

It seems that Hyde lost confidence in the blocking and therefore fair caught the ball more often than necessary.

Has Davis been active the last few games ?

Davis was inactive vs. the Texans for the first time since week 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I saw in the Texans game it looks like the kick returners have been told to down any kickoff in the end zone.
Good Idea...Not so bad having the ball at the 25 and eliminates any chances of fumbles.

Is it uncommon to get holding penalties on punts that are not returned ?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It seems that Hyde lost confidence in the blocking and therefore fair caught the ball more often than necessary.

Agreed. Also probably warranted at times. However, the position does require some gunslinger mentality and Hyde seemed to have lost that and was content to just play it safe too often.

H

HardRightEdge

Didn't Davis muff that one against Tennessee when we finally got a stop after they scored TDs on their first 3 or 4 possessions?
It was TDs on the first 4 possessions. Fire Capers, but I digress. McCarthy has a quick hook when it comes to fumbles. Hyde was in on the next punt.

H

HardRightEdge

Is it uncommon to get holding penalties on punts that are not returned ?
You might have intended that to be humorous, but no, it is common. Holding before the ball is fielded, block in the back afterward is the template.

Members online

Latest posts