Randall Cobb

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the future of Randall Cobb in Green Bay? He still catches a decent amount of passes, but he's on pace for only about 800 yards and 4 TDs, after a relatively disappointing 2015. He's clearly the 3rd WR on the team now, and cap hits of nearly $13M each in 2017 and 2018 are going to be difficult to swallow for a #3 receiver who is limited mostly to the slot. It's possible he could slip even further down the depth chart if the Packers add a highly regarded WR through either the draft or free agency.

My guess is that the high dead cap that would result from cutting him keeps him safe yet in 2017, but he becomes a very likely 2018 cut candidate if he doesn't start to turn it around.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the future of Randall Cobb in Green Bay? He still catches a decent amount of passes, but he's on pace for only about 800 yards and 4 TDs, after a relatively disappointing 2015. He's clearly the 3rd WR on the team now, and cap hits of nearly $13M each in 2017 and 2018 are going to be difficult to swallow for a #3 receiver who is limited mostly to the slot. It's possible he could slip even further down the depth chart if the Packers add a highly regarded WR through either the draft or free agency.

My guess is that the high dead cap that would result from cutting him keeps him safe yet in 2017, but he becomes a very likely 2018 cut candidate if he doesn't start to turn it around.

I believe we would see him sign a new contract before the Packers ever thought of cutting him. Even though his numbers are down, he is still arguably the most consistent and best weapon AR has on offense and he is still young. If Green Bay either drafted or.... actually when into free agency... for a WR, then I'd imagine Jordy would be the first WR on the chopping block. He will be 32 at the start of next season and I believe a 4mil-ish cap hit if released before June 1, though I'm not too sure about that if someone knows then feel free to correct me.

For that reason though is why I doubt they will go after a high end WR this offseason and why I believe that Cobbs future in Green Bay is safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe we would see him sign a new contract before the Packers ever thought of cutting him. Even though his numbers are down, he is still arguably the most consistent and best weapon AR has on offense and he is still young. If Green Bay either drafted or.... actually when into free agency... for a WR, then I'd imagine Jordy would be the first WR on the chopping block. He will be 32 at the start of next season and I believe a 4mil-ish cap hit for his release if released before June 1, though I'm not too sure about that if someone knows then feel free to correct me.

For that reason though is why I doubt they will go after a high end WR this offseason and why I believe that Cobbs future in Green Bay is safe.

I am not sure I would describe Cobb as being the most consistent weapon on offense anymore.

Jordy has a 4.6M cap hit if cut, but his overall cap numbers are less than Cobb's. I get the age argument on him, but he's still on pace for almost 90 catches, 1100 yards, and 13 TDs. He's just a flat out better receiver .

I think Jordy is completely safe for next year and would have to see his production fall off a cliff next year not to play out his entire contract the following year.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure I would describe Cobb as being the most consistent weapon on offense anymore.

Jordy has a 4.6M cap hit if cut, but his overall cap numbers are less than Cobb's. I get the age argument on him, but he's still on pace for almost 90 catches, 1100 yards, and 13 TDs. He's just a flat out better receiver .

I think Jordy is completely safe for next year and would have to see his production fall off a cliff next year not to play out his entire contract the following year.

IMO I think Cobb is the most consistent. Or at least on par with Jordy. Both of them don't drop many passes and will usually always come through in clutch situations. I just feel that Cobb is more important to the offense due to his versatility and would be harder to replace, even though they do have a great replacement for him on the roster already.

I do think that both of them are completely safe for the remainder of their contracts though. If anything they would just restructure one of their contracts, or both. The reason I feel they would cut Jordy and not Cobb is because of age and if they were to shop and get a high end receiver, it's not going to be a slot receiver. Its going to be a receiver that will either take Adams' or Jordy's job. But again I truly believe that both of them along with Adams will be the Packers starting three for the next 2 seasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that Cobb's performance doesn't justify him counting close to $13 million towards the cap next season. Unfortunately with the team's disdain for either dead money or renegotiating a contract I don't expect anything to happen.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And his production might improve next year even if he does add another year in his age debt. Players are never at 100% the year after ACL surgery. Cobb's problem is that his skill set, while unique, is limited as a pure receiver. I see him as a $6 mill per year man.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Cobb's performance doesn't justify him counting close to $13 million towards the cap next season. Unfortunately with the team's disdain for either dead money or renegotiating a contract I don't expect anything to happen.

While I agree with you Cap, I never understood the lack of will for any team to take on some dead money to get out of a bad deal. I 'm not saying have $30M of dead money like the Cowboys did a few years back, but it's for one year, and to me it's about the net savings that season and beyond.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this since Cobb's underwhelming performance last year in Jordy's absence. Cobb has been extraordinarily average this year. He's been surpassed by Davante Adams and is essentially playing the role of a #3 receiver. I haven't noticed Cobb do anything special this entire season.

He has a high cap number, but does that really matter to a team that doesn't sign free agents or have any young talent on the team that needs to be resigned?

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with you Cap, I never understood the lack of will for any team to take on some dead money to get out of a bad deal. I 'm not saying have $30M of dead money like the Cowboys did a few years back, but it's for one year, and to me it's about the net savings that season and beyond.

Exactly . A $15M dollar player who is worth $5M and has a $7M cap hit if cut is still a net negative not to cut .

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though I agree Cobb was extremely disappointing last season without Nelson. With this season being very little better. Cobb looked like the receiver we paid big vs the Eagles. Hopefully we start to see more of the same these last few games and into next season. When he's hot he deserves the 10+ million a year.

D

Deleted member 6794

He has a high cap number, but does that really matter to a team that doesn't sign free agents or have any young talent on the team that needs to be resigned?

The Packers have several positions to address this offseason therefore some additional cap space would be beneficial.

D

Deleted member 6794

Though I agree Cobb was extremely disappointing last season without Nelson. With this season being very little better. Cobb looked like the receiver we paid big vs the Eagles. Hopefully we start to see more of the same these last few games and into next season. When he's hot he deserves the 10+ million a year.

Cobb had six catches for 41 yards vs. the Eagles. Hardly worth $10+ million a season.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We overpaid him but I love Cobb. He plays his heart out every game and he's a versatile player.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb had six catches for 41 yards vs. the Eagles. Hardly worth $10+ million a season.
Go back and look what situations those 6 catches came in. 3rd downs and close coverage with Cobb being physical to get past the marker! My point was hopefully the Philly game was the start back to ballin for Cobb!!

D

Deleted member 6794

We overpaid him but I love Cobb. He plays his heart out every game and he's a versatile player.

An NFL team consistently overpaying for players that are loved by their fans mostly ends up being unsuccessful in the long run.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as of now, I don't think he's earned his money, but he still has plenty of time to do it. I don't think he's going to stop trying, so we'll see what happens.

D

Deleted member 6794

as of now, I don't think he's earned his money, but he still has plenty of time to do it.

Cobb's close to the halfway point of the contract he signed after the 2014 season therefore plenty of time might be an exaggeration.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have several positions to address this offseason therefore some additional cap space would be beneficial.

I feel like you and me just keep going through this loop where I say "cap space is only good if you use it" and you keep saying "the Packers need to address positions and spend money".

D

Deleted member 6794

I feel like you and me just keep going through this loop where I say "cap space is only good if you use it" and you keep saying "the Packers need to address positions and spend money".

Well, teams need cap space to address positions of need though other than using the draft or undrafted free agency.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, teams need cap space to address positions of need though other than using the draft or undrafted free agency.

I agree with you. I just think that Ted Thompson is going to end up being that weird uncle who dies with a ton of money in the bank, but nobody ever knew it because he always drove a thirty year-old car and shopped at thrift stores.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with you. I just think that Ted Thompson is going to end up being that weird uncle who dies with a ton of money in the bank, but nobody ever knew it because he always drove a thirty year-old car and shopped at thrift stores.

It's no secret that I would like the Packers to be more active in free agency. You have to realize that the team woukd currently be only approximately $3 million under the cap if Thompson hadn't released Sitton and Masthay shortly before the start of the season though.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's no secret that I would like the Packers to be more active in free agency. You have to realize that the team woukd currently be only approximately $3 million under the cap if Thompson hadn't released Sitton and Masthay shortly before the start of the season though.

I realize that. I just have no idea what Sitton and Masthay have to do with this conversation? I knew Sitton was a goner as soon as TT gave a backup guard a two-year contract extension.

D

Deleted member 6794

I realize that. I just have no idea what Sitton and Masthay have to do with this conversation? I knew Sitton was a goner as soon as TT gave a backup guard a two-year contract extension.

I just wanted to point out that the release of both of them is the reason the Packers currently have as much cap space and not Thompson's disdain to spending close to the cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts