Raiders cut Jordy

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bringing Jordy in does not make us win more games, it just slows the development of guys we need to develop.

I for one haven't said "Jordy is the missing link to the Super Bowl" and I just acknowledged the development aspect. Moreover, you could try and use that development argument for cutting or not signing most veterans who are on the back half of their careers. The big picture is looking at the players you currently have and asking yourself "are we better off with or without Jordy for 2019?" "How much do we like this current group of young guys?"

Back in 2015, James Jones was brought in last minute after Jordy's injury. I think some wondered why and thought it would stunt the development of Abbredaris and Janis. Jones was too old and slow. Jones turned out to be a key piece in that offense and Abby and Janis were....well meh.

Hopefully, the Packers don't need Jordy, but for what it would cost, I wouldn't mind the insurance he would provide.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What, right now, does Jordy do better than Allison?

- chemistry with Rodgers
- sliding immediately after catching the ball so he doesn't get tackled

That's about it.

Bringing Jordy in does not make us win more games, it just slows the development of guys we need to develop.

-his chemistry with Rodgers is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else on the team, we saw what happens when Rodgers doesn't have trust in a person he is throwing to.
-I'd rather him slide after catching the ball for a 10yd competition than a hail mary to MVS that even Stevie Wonder sees coming.

Bringing in Jordy could HELP development with a guy like EQB in hopes to be the next Jordy. Go out there and learn from him and take his spot on the field. Jordy doesn't strike me as a guy like BigBen who doesn't want to be shown up in practice.

If you can take his job, GOOD! Take it!
If you are getting beat by a 34 year old in practice, go take a look in the mirror.

I don't care for three 2nd year players competing against each other for a spot none of them seem to be cut out for.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we’re in November and we’ve lost a bunch to injury etc, sure bring him on board. At this point though it’s time to move forward. Rodgers needs new chemistry and new guys need to step up.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have no doubt he has lost a step, he is 34. He isn't the end all be all, Super Bowl solution.

But I'd rather Rodgers throw a 10yd pass up the middle on 2nd/3rd down for the 1st that he catches 80% of the time than a 30yd heave to MVS or EQB that works 50% of the time. Move the chains, keep drives alive, open up those throws to the other guys.

How many drives last year resulted in...Jones rush for 4-5yd. Rodgers misses Adams. Rodgers throws it 30yd down field for MVS/EQB.

Rinse, Repeat.

That could be a lot of things, but last year seemed very home run dependent rather than sustaining drives. And it could be hopeful of a past life, but we know Rodgers and Jordy are capable of keeping drives alive.

I would definitely prefer the offense featuring more high percentage plays but the Packers don't need Nelson to make them work.

Reaction score
I would definitely prefer the offense featuring more high percentage plays but the Packers don't need Nelson to make them work.

That remains to be seen. As someone said above, if these 2nd year guys are getting schooled on running 10 yard routes by a 34 year old, end of his career receiver, then you even as a second year player dont deserve to be on the field

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one haven't said "Jordy is the missing link to the Super Bowl" and I just acknowledged the development aspect. Moreover, you could try and use that development argument for cutting or not signing most veterans who are on the back half of their careers. The big picture is looking at the players you currently have and asking yourself "are we better off with or without Jordy for 2019?" "How much do we like this current group of young guys?"

Back in 2015, James Jones was brought in last minute after Jordy's injury. I think some wondered why and thought it would stunt the development of Abbredaris and Janis. Jones was too old and slow. Jones turned out to be a key piece in that offense and Abby and Janis were....well meh.

Hopefully, the Packers don't need Jordy, but for what it would cost, I wouldn't mind the insurance he would provide.

2015 was a vastly different situation. Hard to compare that to now. Abby and Janis hadn't yet shown anything. MVS and EQSB have. They both had some of the best rookie seasons ever for players drafted where they were.

There's just no point to signing Jordy.

D

Deleted member 6794

As someone said above, if these 2nd year guys are getting schooled on running 10 yard routes by a 34 year old, end of his career receiver, then you even as a second year player dont deserve to be on the field

Once again, it's unrealistic to expect any of the youngsters to run routes as well as Nelson early next season. But there's a decent chance one or several of them develop enough to be more productive than Jordy at the end of the year.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-his chemistry with Rodgers is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else on the team, we saw what happens when Rodgers doesn't have trust in a person he is throwing to.
-I'd rather him slide after catching the ball for a 10yd competition than a hail mary to MVS that even Stevie Wonder sees coming.

Bringing in Jordy could HELP development with a guy like EQB in hopes to be the next Jordy. Go out there and learn from him and take his spot on the field. Jordy doesn't strike me as a guy like BigBen who doesn't want to be shown up in practice.

If you can take his job, GOOD! Take it!
If you are getting beat by a 34 year old in practice, go take a look in the mirror.

I don't care for three 2nd year players competing against each other for a spot none of them seem to be cut out for.

Lol.

Rodgers had guys open underneath, he just didn't take them. Can't blame MVS for that.

Like I've said, the scheme change will help a lot.

Reaction score
Lol.

Rodgers had guys open underneath, he just didn't take them. Can't blame MVS for that.

Like I've said, the scheme change will help a lot.

If that is the case then I would agree with not signing Jordy. If he was refusing to play the short game then hopefully that'll change with Lafleur

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has too much Favre in him at times and check down flat options are NEVER considered it seems at times. With Aaron Jones skills and some of our other options I am praying daily LaFluer change in scheme will leave me screaming for check downs or designed screens/shallow routes less and less... :)

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
League minimum to come in and play#4/#3 and coach younger guys up.
we have coaches and a wr corp full of 3-4's. no...and as i said in another thread the fewer guys we have from the old offensive scheme, that developed the same sandlot mentality as rodgers, the better. rodgers needs to move on. it would only be a step backwards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding the issue of whether bringing back Jordy would stunt the development of the younger receivers, honestly, I don't care. I care about winning this year. I care about moving the chains, putting points on the board, and 'W' on the standings table.

If Jordy can contribute more to that than Allison, MVS, EQ or one of our other options, then I want him on the roster. Bring him in on a contract with incentives, find out if he can outperform the others with Rodgers throwing the ball, and if he can't -- cut him.

Future seasons can take care of themselves. Not to mention the fact that odds are at least one of our existing receivers will be injured for some or all of the season. That's just the way it goes in the NFL.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay for those arguing we need to move on from Jordy. Quick question for you all. Do you remember the year James Jones returned back to Green Bay the previous year after we cut him? (The hail Rodgers year) This was around the time we had Abbrederis, and Janis at the time. Did him coming back stunt their growth and development? I don't think so personally. I don't see how they can't learn from an experience veteran like Jordy, who I definitely could see as someone showing them the ropes and whatnot. That wouldn't stunt their growth, but the opposite really. The concept is WINNING. Do I think he increases our chance of winning? Absolutely. Anyone who feels otherwise is kidding themselves.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We say Cobb has lost a step? When was Cobb's last decent year, 3-4 years ago? He's done. He's lost his quickness, acceleration and is always hurt. Jordy is done. He couldn't get any separation his last year in GB and he's not going to get quicker with age. There are numerous better options IMO. I think Geronimo is better than either of them, last year's rookies have more talent and upside at this point, and the draft lies ahead. Move on, like we finally did with Nick Perry, Ha Ha, and hopefully will with Clay.
Geronimo isn't better than Jordy or Cobb. Jordy had a better year than him and so did Cobb. Gimme a break! I like Allison but he's NOT a number 2 option. A solid 3 at best.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that sentiment on both sides. Jerry Rice was 41 his last season and played all 17 games. Hell at the age of 38, Rice had a 1211 yard, 7 TD season.

I still think some are putting way to much emphasis on his 2017 and what happened once Rodgers went down and Hundley took over.
That's EXACTLY what they're doing! Prior to Rodgers going down Jordy was leading the league in TD catches and was on his way to ANOTHER 1000+ yard season. Outside of that ONE BAD YEAR, he has been a consistent 1000+ yard receiver which is more than I can say for any of our receivers. Hell last year he had better stats than anyone outside of Devante.

I don't think it would stunt the receivers, but rather the opposite. But more importantly I think he gives us a better chance at WINNING.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's EXACTLY what they're doing! Prior to Rodgers going down Jordy was leading the league in TD catches and was on his way to ANOTHER 1000+ yard season.
yes he was scoring td's but that was about it. 5 games in he had 230 yards on 19 catches. that cowboys game, with the big comeback at the end, he had 2 catches and i don't think he was on the field in the 4th qtr. he definitely wasn't there that last drive. he got 252 yards the rest of the season and no td's. the end came quick for our beloved jordy.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes he was scoring td's but that was about it. 5 games in he had 230 yards on 19 catches. that cowboys game, with the big comeback at the end, he had 2 catches and i don't think he was on the field in the 4th qtr. he definitely wasn't there that last drive. he got 252 yards the rest of the season and no td's. the end came quick for our beloved jordy.
No it didn't. We just happened to be stuck with a limited and sorry QB that had hardly any chemistry with Jordy. Everyone outside of Devante suffered that year. Not just him. Whether you and everyone else wants to deny that fact or not. Jordy has proven that last year as he had over 700 yards last season, and that was being the 3rd/4th option. Can you imagine how many yards he would've ended up in Green Bay? He would had another 1000+ yards.

No one has yet to tell me who is a better option that him. All I'm hearing is developing players bs, and I just made a case that Jordy would help progress the receivers rather than stunt them as we saw this with Devante. At the same time he would help us WIN based off his production in comparison to the others who hasn't shown they are ready to take that next step. If I didn't think he could help us WIN, then I'd be all for moving on from him. But I think he has one last good year in him.

You guys were the same way with Julius Peppers the moment we released him and yet he played pretty well in Carolina.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

That's a bit deceiving (5 games in). Jordy came out of the 2nd game of the year very early against the Falcons with a quad injury. Also, for whatever reason, the game against Dallas, he was only targeted 4 times. While some might want to say he quit or played poorly after Rodgers went down, I would say it was more of a case of a QB who didn't know what he was doing behind center. After Hundley took over, Jordy's ave yds/catch took a nose dive. Why? Hundley wasn't very effective on mid to long range passes. As far as those saying Adams game wasn't influenced much by Hundley taking over, go look at the stats. It effected him too.

Anyway, I don't think signing Jordy is going to be THE defining moment of 2019, but I think some are a bit quick to dismiss the possibility and using an odd year (2017) to support their reasoning in the process.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a bit deceiving (5 games in). Jordy came out of the 2nd game of the year very early against the Falcons with a quad injury. Also, for whatever reason, the game against Dallas, he was only targeted 4 times. While some might want to say he quit or played poorly after Rodgers went down, I would say it was more of a case of a QB who didn't know what he was doing behind center. After Hundley took over, Jordy's ave yds/catch took a nose dive. Why? Hundley wasn't very effective on mid to long range passes. As far as those saying Adams game wasn't influenced much by Hundley taking over, go look at the stats. It effected him too.

Anyway, I don't think signing Jordy is going to be THE defining moment of 2019, but I think some are a bit quick to dismiss the possibility and using an odd year (2017) to support their reasoning in the process.
Like I said EVERYONE was affected by Hundley's performance. The dude was terrible for the most part. No offense to him. And you guys are gonna hold that against Jordy for that, in spite of all the years of consistency? C'mon man.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Like I said EVERYONE was affected by Hundley's performance. The dude was terrible for the most part. No offense to him. And you guys are gonna hold that against Jordy for that, in spite of all the years of consistency? C'mon man.

Given that he gave us no offense....its ok if you offend him. ;)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
How on Earth would it be harmful for Jordy to come back on a non guaranteed (or limited guarantees) type of deal, battle in training camp and if he proves worthy of a roster spot, how would this be harmful to the Packers?

I think it's really a moot point because to @C-Lee 's point, it's almost a 100% chance it won't happen. But I see absolutely nothing wrong with letting him compete for a roster spot. Some don't want to hear this and think it would be bad for Rodgers, but they have freakish wave length. If nothing else, talk about some super cheap, experienced depth.

Would you rather have Jordy or some slaw *** UDFA?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Got a chuckle seeing this online! :) The good news, #87 is still available.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How on Earth would it be harmful for Jordy to come back on a non guaranteed (or limited guarantees) type of deal, battle in training camp and if he proves worthy of a roster spot, how would this be harmful to the Packers?

I think it's really a moot point because to @C-Lee 's point, it's almost a 100% chance it won't happen. But I see absolutely nothing wrong with letting him compete for a roster spot. Some don't want to hear this and think it would be bad for Rodgers, but they have freakish wave length. If nothing else, talk about some super cheap, experienced depth.

Would you rather have Jordy or some slaw *** UDFA?

Haven't you heard they're in win now mode? Focus on unproven 2nd year guys, draft rookies and some super cheap UDFAs to compete for a spot. Throw in some new faces that Rodgers has never thrown to and doesn't have a relationship with so in 4 years when he is 40, we'll be ready to go!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Haven't you heard they're in win now mode? Focus on unproven 2nd year guys, draft rookies and some super cheap UDFAs to compete for a spot. Throw in some new faces that Rodgers has never thrown to and doesn't have a relationship with so in 4 years when he is 40, we'll be ready to go!

This is actually the part that has me on the fence with Jordy. If I truly thought the Packers were Super Bowl bound in 2019, I say sign Jordy. However, even with 4 decent FA's signed and hopefully a solid draft, I still think they have some jelling to do with the new coaches/system and 2020 is a more realistic year to have visions of a legit SB run. If that is the case, than it might be wiser to not sign Jordy and let the young guys keep learning.

Members online

Latest posts