Raiders cut Jordy

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't you heard they're in win now mode? Focus on unproven 2nd year guys, draft rookies and some super cheap UDFAs to compete for a spot. Throw in some new faces that Rodgers has never thrown to and doesn't have a relationship with so in 4 years when he is 40, we'll be ready to go!
the raiders are in win-now mode...they had him. they'd already paid him $3.5m too. he'll be 34. i get the sentimental reasons to bring him back but there aren't any football reasons. this new staff and scheme is about the future.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
the raiders are in win-now mode...they had him. they'd already paid him $3.5m too. he'll be 34. i get the sentimental reasons to bring him back but there aren't any football reasons. this new staff and scheme is about the future.

A 4-12 team in a "win now mode"? While I am sure fans and optimists want to say that, I think Gruden knows deep down that they are in build now mode. Packers coming off a 6-9-1 season, probably shouldn't be that far off in their thinking.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 4-12 team in a "win now mode"? While I am sure fans and optimists want to say that, I think Gruden knows deep down that they are in build now mode. Packers coming off a 6-9-1 season, probably shouldn't be that far off in their thinking.
i hear ya but they've got 3 firsts and $50m of cap room left. they actually have a better win-now chance than GB does.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
i hear ya but they've got 3 firsts and $50m of cap room left. they actually have a better win-now chance than GB does.

Yup, they have 4 picks in the first 35 picks, which will definitely help seed their current team. However, if I was a Raider fan (living in LA or Vegas), I wouldn't be booking any travel plans to Miami in February.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again once you negate the fact that they upgraded and got arguably the best receiver in the game right now, it's understandable why they let him go. On top of that he's shown that he's still capable of contributing. He was expendable there. I've yet to hear who was a better option at this point. If you name me someone then you would have me, but based off his production in comparison to our own, I think Jordy can contribute to helping us win. I've yet to hear a valid argument as to why he shouldn't at least be given a look.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in 2015, James Jones was brought in last minute after Jordy's injury. I think some wondered why and thought it would stunt the development of Abbredaris and Janis. Jones was too old and slow. Jones turned out to be a key piece in that offense and Abby and Janis were....well meh.

Jones was one of my favorites but now that you are telling me it was his fault Janis never developed I may have to change my opinion of him.

I don't care for three 2nd year players competing against each other for a spot none of them seem to be cut out for.

On what do you base your opinion that none of them seem to be cut out for it? They were 4th, 5th and 6th round rookies. What did you expect from them.

Okay for those arguing we need to move on from Jordy. Quick question for you all. Do you remember the year James Jones returned back to Green Bay the previous year after we cut him? (The hail Rodgers year) This was around the time we had Abbrederis, and Janis at the time. Did him coming back stunt their growth and development? I don't think so personally. I don't see how they can't learn from an experience veteran like Jordy, who I definitely could see as someone showing them the ropes and whatnot. That wouldn't stunt their growth, but the opposite really. The concept is WINNING. Do I think he increases our chance of winning? Absolutely. Anyone who feels otherwise is kidding themselves.

I don't know, did it? Remind me, who are they starring for now. Maybe if Jones hadn't come back they would still be in the league. Now I don't believe that for a second because its kind of hard to stunt growth and development when there is not much there to start with. I think MVS, EQ and JMoore are much better on draft day than Abby or Janis ever were in their careers. Would there presence of Jordy hamper them, I doubt it but its kind of foolish to compare the situations.

No it didn't. We just happened to be stuck with a limited and sorry QB that had hardly any chemistry with Jordy. Everyone outside of Devante suffered that year. Not just him. Whether you and everyone else wants to deny that fact or not. Jordy has proven that last year as he had over 700 yards last season, and that was being the 3rd/4th option. Can you imagine how many yards he would've ended up in Green Bay? He would had another 1000+ yards.

No one has yet to tell me who is a better option that him. All I'm hearing is developing players bs, and I just made a case that Jordy would help progress the receivers rather than stunt them as we saw this with Devante. At the same time he would help us WIN based off his production in comparison to the others who hasn't shown they are ready to take that next step. If I didn't think he could help us WIN, then I'd be all for moving on from him. But I think he has one last good year in him.

I'm curious to know how you are going to spend your powerball winnings?

As far as no one telling who is a better option no one is because no one can know that for sure. We could say EQ is better or MVS is better or even Lazard is better but we understand that presenting opinion as facts is not the smart thing to do.

How on Earth would it be harmful for Jordy to come back on a non guaranteed (or limited guarantees) type of deal, battle in training camp and if he proves worthy of a roster spot, how would this be harmful to the Packers?

I think it's really a moot point because to @C-Lee 's point, it's almost a 100% chance it won't happen. But I see absolutely nothing wrong with letting him compete for a roster spot. Some don't want to hear this and think it would be bad for Rodgers, but they have freakish wave length. If nothing else, talk about some super cheap, experienced depth.

Would you rather have Jordy or some slaw *** UDFA?

I'm really not expecting some slow *** UDFA to make the team this year. IMO it will be Adams, drafted slot guy, Allison, then three between MVS, EQ, JMoore, Davis (only for his ST ability but I hope he is replaced.) They may keep all 7 and one of the last 4 might be replaced with someone else but I will give you this, If they keep 7 and if they can replace Davis with another return man I wouldn't mind seeing Jordy as that 7th guy. It is also possible that someone takes Allison away from us and in that case I wouldn't mind seeing Jordy back again. Oh, and I forgot all about Super Jake, you can throw him into the mix as well.

That was with Jordy pretty much being their only form of offense and their #1 at the end of the season. He must still have some type of step to get open, especially when an opposing defense doesn't have to worry about anyone else to cover but Jared Cook? Even if he was a tweener between 2/3, he adds a layer of offense that was non-existent last year.

And I don't trust anyone else to fill that role on this team until they go out and prove it. If they bring him in and someone beats him out on the spot by week 4, 8, 12 whatever...so be it. Competition is good. When your competition are a bunch of people who aren't cut out for the role no one actually wins.

Wait a minute, Do7 says he was their 3rd or 4th option you say he was pretty much their only offense and their #1 at the end HMMM. And again why do you say they are not cut out for it. does it really surprise you that a 4th 5th 6th round draft pick does not stand out in their first year.

I would not be opposed to bringing Jordy back on a low contract with no guarantees and letting him compete and if he beats someone out then so be it. I'm not sure he could and I am not sure he would want to do that and most importantly I don't think Gute would want to do that I guess stranger things have happened.

Even if he made the team I would expect him to be no higher than 4th in receptions on the team, behind Adams, Graham, Rookie Slot guy for sure and maybe even RB and that is if he could even beat out one of either Super Jake or the wonder triplets.

I do think Jordy on the Packers would put up better numbers than 2 of the 4 between MVS, EQ, Kumerow and JMore but the problem is which 2. As I think of it Kumerow would most likely be the odd man out right now and I don't expect all three of the 2nd year guys to pan out (just playing the odds) but at this point I have no idea which 2 will emerge as worth keeping and I'd hate to risk losing the wrong one too early just to keep a guy that I think will be a marginal assets at best for 1 more year.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
they actually have a better win-now chance than GB does.
Three reasons you're wrong.

1. They are in the same conference as the Patriots.
2. They are in the same division as the Chiefs, Chargers
3. One team as AR12 and the other doesn't.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know me. I'm never one to shy away from a full scale debate. Let's do this! :D:geek:

Jones was one of my favorites but now that you are telling me it was his fault Janis never developed I may have to change my opinion of him.

I don't know, did it? Remind me, who are they starring for now. Maybe if Jones hadn't come back they would still be in the league. Now I don't believe that for a second because its kind of hard to stunt growth and development when there is not much there to start with. I think MVS, EQ and JMoore are much better on draft day than Abby or Janis ever were in their careers. Would there presence of Jordy hamper them, I doubt it but its kind of foolish to compare the situations.
My point is if these receivers can't beat out a 34 year old man then CLEARLY they aren't ready. So the way I see it, if these receivers are as good as you guys are making them, then they should beat out Nelson, no problem and I'll stand corrected. When Jordy went down Abbrederis and Janis had an opportunity to step up, but we had to go and get James Jones, and thus he helped us WIN. Let's see if these new cats can take the next step, if not then let them learn under Jordy, who I say has one more solid year left in the tank.
I'll get to your point about 3rd/4th option in a second.

I'm curious to know how you are going to spend your powerball winnings?
I don't need that much money in order for me to live a comfortable life. I don't need fancy cars, or a fancy house, and whatnot. Most of the money would either be invested, saved for my children and their children, to serve my lord and savior, and to be a blessing to others like my mother was when she was alive.

As far as no one telling who is a better option no one is because no one can know that for sure. We could say EQ is better or MVS is better or even Lazard is better but we understand that presenting opinion as facts is not the smart thing to do.
Since everyone is basing performance off 1 year, I figured it's only fair that I do the same. The same people that holding it against Jordy for that one bad year, I'm doing the same and comparing them. Not fair? Perhaps, but at the same time the same could be said in regards to everyone holding against Jordy for that one bad year he had with Hundley behind center when everyone suffered.

Wait a minute, Do7 says he was their 3rd or 4th option you say he was pretty much their only offense and their #1 at the end HMMM. And again why do you say they are not cut out for it. does it really surprise you that a 4th 5th 6th round draft pick does not stand out in their first year.
I didn't misspeak. He WAS the third/fourth option for a majority of his time there. He certainly made the most of his opportunity when he became a more viable option, which is more than I can say for any of receivers. Funny thing is they had more opportunities in comparison to Nelson considering how early Cobb and Allison went down thus the amount of playtime they got as a result.

I would not be opposed to bringing Jordy back on a low contract with no guarantees and letting him compete and if he beats someone out then so be it. I'm not sure he could and I am not sure he would want to do that and most importantly I don't think Gute would want to do that I guess stranger things have happened.

Even if he made the team I would expect him to be no higher than 4th in receptions on the team, behind Adams, Graham, Rookie Slot guy for sure and maybe even RB and that is if he could even beat out one of either Super Jake or the wonder triplets.

I do think Jordy on the Packers would put up better numbers than 2 of the 4 between MVS, EQ, Kumerow and JMore but the problem is which 2. As I think of it Kumerow would most likely be the odd man out right now and I don't expect all three of the 2nd year guys to pan out (just playing the odds) but at this point I have no idea which 2 will emerge as worth keeping and I'd hate to risk losing the wrong one too early just to keep a guy that I think will be a marginal assets at best for 1 more year.

That is all I am saying. Give him an opportunity on a low contract and see if he can beat out everyone, if not, then it was a great run, we'll always love him, and God bless him! If he DOES that only shows that the receivers need more time to develop, and they'll have a great mentor and locker room guy in Jordy helping them. This would be his swan song as I see him retiring after this year.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you honestly believe that? Maybe, but I just don't see it.
neither team's going to the SB next season. i'm just saying they have a better chance to get there before the Packers because of their situation. like i said they've got $50m in cap space. if they get murry or haskins they'll have $50m and a good qb on a rookie deal...the magic formula for getting good quick. see: la, cle, kc, phi.

Three reasons you're wrong.

1. They are in the same conference as the Patriots.
2. They are in the same division as the Chiefs, Chargers
3. One team as AR12 and the other doesn't.
a. the Packers are in a conference with much better teams than them.
b. they're in a division with better teams than them (at the moment).
c. as we know having 12 isn't a free ticket to the SB. foles got one over brady.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
neither team's going to the SB next season. i'm just saying they have a better chance to get there before the Packers because of their situation. like i said they've got $50m in cap space. if they get murry or haskins they'll have $50m and a good qb on a rookie deal...the magic formula for getting good quick. see: la, cle, kc, phi.

c. as we know having 12 isn't a free ticket to the SB. foles got one over brady.
I wouldn't say The Vikings and The Bears are much better than we are.
Remember we split with Chicago, and honestly we could've beaten them in Soldier field. Though I blame that mostly on Rodgers.
And Minnesota we SHOULD'VE split with them if not for Crosby and a bone headed call from the officiating.

Both teams barely beat us. So it's a coin flip if you ask me.

Reaction score
While I doubt this happens, one argument FOR Nelson is : (due in part to the deep crop of 2nd tier Wideouts).
Jordy playing in the slot would allow GB to continue developing the 2nd year WR grouping. We could still keep 6 and practice squad 1.
I believe he’s sign a 2M 50% guaranteed 1 yr deal. to set himself up to retire a GBP. I’d throw him a bonus 500k if we win 1 playoff game with him as a starter and another 500K if we win a SB.

I just think we need 1 more veteran. I don’t like the inexperience we have overall.
Either that or we have to pick WR by #44 range minimum.

Adams
G Mo
Jordy
MVS
EQ
Kumerow
Moore (PS etc..)

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say The Vikings and The Bears are much better than we are.
Remember we split with Chicago, and honestly we could've beaten them in Soldier field. Though I blame that mostly on Rodgers.
And Minnesota we SHOULD'VE split with them if not for Crosby and a bone headed call from the officiating.

Both teams barely beat us. So it's a coin flip if you ask me.
didn't say they were much better...just better.

i sure get misquoted a lot. :)

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am gonna say that the browns are a team on the rise not the fact that they got OBJ but look at all the other moves they did look at that defense too.. plus they young all over too if mayfield gets better in year 2 which I think he will they def have a chance to win that division for sure!!!! But the chiefs are on the rise and mahomes is unbelievable and only gonna get better... like he is might end up being better than Rodgers good.. like I would not bet against that...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you know how many times I thought I got someone and ended up getting gotten myself? I don't want to have to unleash my math skills on the forum again, so let's just say it was a lot.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you know how many times I thought I got someone and ended up getting gotten myself? I don't want to have to unleash my math skills on the forum again, so let's just say it was a lot.
It happens to the best of us. So long as you can admit when you've been had, and can laugh about is what matters most.

I'll get you eventually Gary!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

A. Bruh. You’re talking about the defending champions...what better teams in the NFC are you referring to? This is Brady and Belichick we’re talking about. You know...the team that’s competed in three straight Super Bowls and 4 of the last 5? :rolleyes:

B. The chargers and Chiefs are better than any team in the NFC North. It’s not debatable.

C. Derek Carr isn’t about to lead you to a damn thing. AR12 has made a living dragging lousy teams into the playoffs year in, year out. God forbid he failed to do it once since 08.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nope. go back...i mentioned conference, then division.
@Mondio Already pointed that out dude, and I've already conceded that I was wrong. Victory is yours...for now.

Btw you said conference, not division. Otherwise I would've had you.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A. Bruh. You’re talking about the defending champions...what better teams in the NFC are you referring to? This is Brady and Belichick we’re talking about. You know...the team that’s competed in three straight Super Bowls and 4 of the last 5? :rolleyes:

B. The chargers and Chiefs are better than any team in the NFC North. It’s not debatable.

C. Derek Carr isn’t about to lead you to a damn thing. AR12 has made a living dragging lousy teams into the playoffs year in, year out. God forbid he failed to do it once since 08.
i agree with all those things. not sure what you're arguing about. teams in the nfc better than the Packers? la, sea, phi, no, atl, min, chi. as for carr if he's got a good team around him he'll be fine. same applies for most qb's.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts