Raiders cut Jordy

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with all those things. not sure what you're arguing about. teams in the nfc better than the Packers? la, sea, phi, no, atl, min, chi. as for carr is got a good team around him he'll be fine. same applies for most qb's.
We beat Atlanta, and we split with Chicago. Every other team that you've mentioned with the exception of Philly as we didn't play them, we were right in the game. I'd say we're right in the mix, if they are better, it's slightly.

I know that wasn't the point, but I thought I'd like to throw that out there.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We beat Atlanta, and we split with Chicago. Every other team that you've mentioned with the exception of Philly as we didn't play them, we were right in the game. I'd say we're right in the mix, if they are better, it's slightly.

I know that wasn't the point, but I thought I'd like to throw that out there.
crosby lost them 3-4 alone. we played ugly all year and got worse as it went along though. they have a chance to get much better but it probably won't show up until 2020. looking forward to the draft.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hear ya but they've got 3 firsts and $50m of cap room left. they actually have a better win-now chance than GB does.

Yeah right Id bet on that one. GB has way better odds of winning the Superbowl this season. The raiders have 0 chance to win the Superbowl this season neither their QB or their defense is good enough to carry the other to a Superbowl victory.
GB on the other hand has Aaron Rodgers who is good enough to carry a team to a Superbowl as well as the makings of a a top 10 defense.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
crosby lost them 3-4 alone. we played ugly all year and got worse as it went along though. they have a chance to get much better but it probably won't show up until 2020. looking forward to the draft.
So...with that being said. Since we're on the getting rid of veterans train, do you think we should move on from him as well? ;)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again once you negate the fact that they upgraded and got arguably the best receiver in the game right now, it's understandable why they let him go. On top of that he's shown that he's still capable of contributing. He was expendable there. I've yet to hear who was a better option at this point. If you name me someone then you would have me, but based off his production in comparison to our own, I think Jordy can contribute to helping us win. I've yet to hear a valid argument as to why he shouldn't at least be given a look.
Who made you the arbitrator over what is valid? Many arguments have been made.. whether you agree with them or not is your choice. Personally, i’d love to see Jordy have a last hurrah with the Packers... I just don’t believe it is likely to happen. Frankly, if the Packers go and get him... and he is successful I’d be happy to say you were right. I’m not going to hold my breath though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Jordy could come here and catch 55-70 balls and and handful of TDs.

But I still don’t think he’s what we should go after without having run out of options

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except for that one game, Crosby been trustable.
there were four games that had crosby made his shots they'd have won, avoided ot, or sent it to ot and given us a chance.

last second miss vs min sent it to OT;
4 misses vs det were more than the difference in the score;
1 miss vs sea was the difference in the score (possible OT/win);
1 miss vs ari was the difference in the score (possible OT/win).

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who made you the arbitrator over what is valid? Many arguments have been made.. whether you agree with them or not is your choice. Personally, i’d love to see Jordy have a last hurrah with the Packers... I just don’t believe it is likely to happen. Frankly, if the Packers go and get him... and he is successful I’d be happy to say you were right. I’m not going to hold my breath though.
Thank you captain obvious. But since chances are you're going to need an explanation as to why I said what I did I'll explain.

So since I'm on the side of saying let's bring Jordy Nelson back the arguments I've been getting in regards to the opposing side are the following:
Exhibit A. People are holding the 2017 season against him
Exhibit B. People say he would stunt the growth and development of other receivers
Exhibit C. He's pretty much done.
Exhibit D. We have better options at receivers.

Exhibit A: The most damning argument I've seen in regards to why we should not sign him in which I've seen thus far. To which I pointed out that we had a horrible QB in Hundley and as a result his numbers went down along with the rest of the receivers. The only receiver that did well that season was Devante and even he had a significant drop. So since people decided to use that argument against Jordy despite his years of consistency, I decided to turn the tables and use it on them, in which I pointed out how well our rookies did, in comparison to Jordy, who was their 3rd/4th option for most of the year. When he became one of the primary options he was able to make the most of it, unlike our rookies who continued to struggle and had more opportunities considering our #2 and #3 receiver went down in Cobb and Allison for most of the season. If that is unfair to do considering it was one season, then the same case can be made for everyone holding it against Jordy for that one year, based off he wasn't the only one who suffered, the entire offense did. Plus Jordy was leading the league in touchdowns prior to Rodgers going down.

Exhibit B: The argument here was saying that if we brought Jordy back it would stunt their growth by taking away their possessions. I then argued that we did the same thing in regards to bringing back James Jones b/c no one was able to fill that void when Jordy went down. So if by chance Jordy a 34 year old man beats them out, that clearly indicates that they aren't ready to fill in the void, while being able to learn from under him, as we know Jordy is a great teammate.

Exhibit C. Refer back to Exhibit A. as all evidence points to the contrary, especially when you factor that he did better than everyone on our receiver corp outside of Devante last season. While he may lost a step I certainly believe he can contribute to this team in winning football games, and I am certain he would've averaged 1000+ yards in GB last year had he stayed. Which leads me to my last point.

Exhibit D: And it is where I asked who among our group of receivers can you honestly say is better right now based off the production on the field going forward. I like some of their potential but I'm not ready to sit here and say that they are better than Jordy, considering what I saw out of them last year. So I say why not bring him and compete for a spot on the team. If these guys are truly the better option, then they should have no problem beating him out. If not, let them learn from under him as they gradually ease into the position. We've seen it with Devante, as it took him a couple seasons for him to emerge. Plus we'd be getting Jordy for cheap.

When I say valid point, I say that in regards to coming up with something in which I can't refute back, as by doing so buffers your point when making an argument. You certainly don't have to agree with me, as it's my opinion.

Perhaps "valid point" may have not been the right choice of words, but I find it weird that you're the only person that took exception to this. Try not to take it literally next time is all I can say.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there were four games that had crosby made his shots they'd have won, avoided ot, or sent it to ot and given us a chance.

Didn't we have a fire Crosby thread after that one in Detroit? I faintly recall a lot of us being hot that game. But Arizona? Idk what the hell happened there. But Seattle I put that on Rodgers. It's his fault we lost that game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you captain obvious. But since chances are you're going to need an explanation as to why I said what I did I'll explain.

So since I'm on the side of saying let's bring Jordy Nelson back the arguments I've been getting in regards to the opposing side are the following:
Exhibit B. People say he would stunt the growth and development of other receivers

Exhibit A: The most damning argument I've seen in regards to why we should not sign him in which I've seen thus far. To which I pointed out that we had a horrible QB in Hundley and as a result his numbers went down along with the rest of the receivers. The only receiver that did well that season was Devante and even he had a significant drop. So since people decided to use that argument against Jordy despite his years of consistency, I decided to turn the tables and use it on them, in which I pointed out how well our rookies did, in comparison to Jordy, who was their 3rd/4th option for most of the year. When he became one of the primary options he was able to make the most of it, unlike our rookies who continued to struggle and had more opportunities considering our #2 and #3 receiver went down in Cobb and Allison for most of the season. If that is unfair to do considering it was one season, then the same case can be made for everyone holding it against Jordy for that one year, based off he wasn't the only one who suffered, the entire offense did. Plus Jordy was leading the league in touchdowns prior to Rodgers going down.

Exhibit B: The argument here was saying that if we brought Jordy back it would stunt their growth by taking away their possessions. I then argued that we did the same thing in regards to bringing back James Jones b/c no one was able to fill that void when Jordy went down. So if by chance Jordy a 34 year old man beats them out, that clearly indicates that they aren't ready to fill in the void, while being able to learn from under him, as we know Jordy is a great teammate.

Exhibit C. Refer back to Exhibit A. as all evidence points to the contrary, especially when you factor that he did better than everyone on our receiver corp outside of Devante last season. While he may lost a step I certainly believe he can contribute to this team in winning football games, and I am certain he would've averaged 1000+ yards in GB last year had he stayed. Which leads me to my last point.

Exhibit D: And it is where I asked who among our group of receivers can you honestly say is better right now based off the production on the field going forward. I like some of their potential but I'm not ready to sit here and say that they are better than Jordy, considering what I saw out of them last year. So I say why not bring him and compete for a spot on the team. If these guys are truly the better option, then they should have no problem beating him out. If not, let them learn from under him as they gradually ease into the position. We've seen it with Devante, as it took him a couple seasons for him to emerge. Plus we'd be getting Jordy for cheap.

When I say valid point, I say that in regards to coming up with something in which I can't refute back, as by doing so buffers your point when making an argument. You certainly don't have to agree with me, as it's my opinion.

Perhaps "valid point" may have not been the right choice of words, but I find it weird that you're the only person that took exception to this. Try not to take it literally next time is all I can say.
You “ literally” wrote down the words so... sorry if I thought you meant what you wrote. As for the rest.. I must admit that I chose to not bother reading it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is all I am saying. Give him an opportunity on a low contract and see if he can beat out everyone, if not, then it was a great run, we'll always love him, and God bless him! If he DOES that only shows that the receivers need more time to develop, and they'll have a great mentor and locker room guy in Jordy helping them. This would be his swan song as I see him retiring after this year.

Now this is an argument I can understand but that's not really all you were saying. You were saying that Jordy could come in and do better than anyone else on our roster not named Adams. Like I said under certain circumstances I wouldn't mind seeing him back but if given an equal chance to be the #2, #3, #4 whatever WR on this team I'm not sure Jordy would outperform anyone we have right now.

So we bring in Jordy and he gives us 900 yards and 7 TDs. Does that prove you were right? It does prove that Jordy can still get it done but it doesn't prove that one of the other guys couldn't have done as well or better given the same opportunities and the same situations. I'm confident that one of the young guys can perform as well as Jordy, you aren't, that's the way opinions work.

If we are going to add another WR, and I hope like hell we do, it should be a slot guy high in the draft. Not at 12 but perhaps at 30 or 44 and certainly by 75.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Jordy could come here and catch 55-70 balls and and handful of TDs.

But I still don’t think he’s what we should go after without having run out of options

Yup, and I think MVS, EQ, JMoore or even Kumerow could do that as well. I think Allison could pull down a fair amount more than that. It all depends on if they get the opportunities. If he is available in September and we lose a few to injuries in TC then by all means pick up the phone and see if he is willing.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You “ literally” wrote down the words so... sorry if I thought you meant what you wrote. As for the rest.. I must admit that I chose to not bother reading it.
Alright so I said it was raining cats and dogs, would you literally believe that it's raining cats and dogs? I didn't think so. Again perhaps it was a poor choice of words, but you just so happened to be the only person to take exception to it, so that's weird if you ask me.

As for you not reading, *shrugs* I'm not gonna lose sleep if you didn't, but with that said I'm not all surprise you didn't bother.

Now this is an argument I can understand but that's not really all you were saying. You were saying that Jordy could come in and do better than anyone else on our roster not named Adams. Like I said under certain circumstances I wouldn't mind seeing him back but if given an equal chance to be the #2, #3, #4 whatever WR on this team I'm not sure Jordy would outperform anyone we have right now.

So we bring in Jordy and he gives us 900 yards and 7 TDs. Does that prove you were right? It does prove that Jordy can still get it done but it doesn't prove that one of the other guys couldn't have done as well or better given the same opportunities and the same situations. I'm confident that one of the young guys can perform as well as Jordy, you aren't, that's the way opinions work.

If we are going to add another WR, and I hope like hell we do, it should be a slot guy high in the draft. Not at 12 but perhaps at 30 or 44 and certainly by 75.
Based off the production from what was out there, I DO think he's a better option than anyone we have currently outside of Adams at this point. Hence why I'm all for bringing him to compete. If he's beaten then that would make the point that we do indeed have better options on the squad, and that he truly doesn't have it anymore. However if it turns out he is the better option it'll give the other receivers a chance to study under him, and continue to develop. Again I keep bringing up Davante Adams went through the same process, and now he's a stud. The concept is winning, and I certainly believe Jordy can help our chances of winning based off his production in comparison to the talent we have currently weather it's being the #2 option as I believe he can be, or being a mentor to the receivers.

So going to the 900 yards thing, it would certainly make my arguments seem more valid as the dude proved he can still contribute, and isn't totally washed up as people are saying he is. But I do understand you're point in regards to if given the same opportunities and the same situation, but at the same time isn't that what competition is for?

Reaction score

All those exhibits make an exhibition

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if Jordy can produce what he did last year in that pitiful offense, he'd at least be a solid #2 for us. As the other receivers they can learn as the gradually ease into the position like Devante did.

If the Packers though he was still a viable #2 WR they never would have let him go last year. You're delusional.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you can take his job, GOOD! Take it!
If you are getting beat by a 34 year old in practice, go take a look in the mirror.

I don't care for three 2nd year players competing against each other for a spot none of them seem to be cut out for.

You have it backwards. If you bring Jordy in, it is incumbent upon HIM to take someone else's job, NOT the other way around. The #2 spot currently belongs to Allison.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers though he was still a viable #2 WR they never would have let him go last year. You're delusional.
And yet he had a better year than any of our receivers outside of Devante. And I'm the delusional one? Whatever you say dude. Perhaps he can come back and light it up again. We saw them do it with James Jones, granted this was due to Jordy went down. I think they got rid of him b/c of a money issue honestly.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nobody has a 100% success rate.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't we have a fire Crosby thread after that one in Detroit? I faintly recall a lot of us being hot that game. But Arizona? Idk what the hell happened there. But Seattle I put that on Rodgers. It's his fault we lost that game.
no doubt there were other reasons those games were in the peril they were. just pointing out they could have been saved.

Nobody has a 100% success rate.
true. i'm only mentioned 4 games.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have it backwards. If you bring Jordy in, it is incumbent upon HIM to take someone else's job, NOT the other way around. The #2 spot currently belongs to Allison.

lol.

And that right there is the problem with this team.

What exactly has he done to earn that spot? Be the second longest tenured WR on the Packers?

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all I love Jordy Nelson but the Packers aren't a soon-to-be 34-year old receiver away from being a legit Super Bowl contender.

While he might put up better numbers than any of the young receivers currently on the roster in 2019 he wouldn't make the team that much better justifying to bring him back.

For those of you advocating for signing Jordy, why stop there??? Lang and Sitton are available as well. Why not bring the band back together???

The Packers made the right decision to let them walk away and it would be mistake bringing any of them year(s) later.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby. I have always rooted for him since they drafted him. He could kick the long one. There are more than just several kickers in the league now that when they line up, I think, "this is for sure." Not so with Mason. I find myself holding my breath. Just saying that I would not mind some competition for him.

Members online

Latest posts