Questions about mike sherman from an A&M fan

TexasAggie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm very sorry to bother y'all after your tough loss today. My roomate is a Packers fan, so I root for y'all, too.

I came here to see if your opinions of Mike Sherman lined up with what I have observed from him in his time at A&M.

Last year was absolutely terrible, but I gave him a pass because it was his first season on the condition we would be much improved this year.

We've gotten better, but I'm still unsure of him. I have a few observations.

1. He has a good eye for talent and can develop it. We have a lot of freshman and sophomores on our team and they are growing fast. Some of them look very impressive. I'd say quite a few of them will be playing on Sundays. Despite some of his other flaws that I will go into in a minute, I think we might be a consistent winner under him just based on this alone.

2. He can't manage a game to save his life. He makes baffling gameday decisions. He can't seem to understand when to take the points and when to go for it. Yesterday against Colorado in the first drive of the game when we should have just taken the points on 4th and goal he went for it and we didn't make it. Had we just taken the FG we would have won. Then later when a FG only put us up 34-28 he kicks the FG on 4th and goal and Colorado goes down the field and wins it 35-34. Also, against Okie State, we pulled to within 5 with like 2 or 3 minutes left and he doesn't kick an onside kick. OSU runs the clock out on our poor run defense. I think this is a career problem for him because correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he ever won a playoff game with the Packers.

3. He divides the locker room. He just flat out wouldn't play a lot of guys from the previous regime. I know attrition happens whenever a new coach comes in, but these were star players he was refusing to play. For example, he benched our star RB who holds the Texas A&M record for career TDs because he thought he was too fat. He also benched our other star running back, Mike Goodson, who is playing for the Panthers now. He insists on playing (and losing) with all his young guys who sometimes choke under pressure like yesterday.

I think that because of #1, he might be one of those NFL coaches who can just recruit his way to victory, which he couldn't do in the NFL. I'm not sure though. What do y'all think?

Good luck to y'all the rest of the season.

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good Luck with Mike Sherman...he is an absolute nightmare of a coach...

He did the same things with the GB Packers...(Does the term 4th and 26th mean anything to you?)

If not, google it, you'll find out.

He's a disaster, in my book.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe he will be a good coach for A&M but you have to remember that they can only go so far in the Big 12. That is a monster of a conference. Each coach has their guys that they like to play even Spurrier had an issue with Emmitt Smith while he was at Florida.

I believe the 4th and 26 was on the D coordinator not ole Sherman.

OP
OP
T

TexasAggie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah lol I know about 4th and 26. We were up in Lubbock at the Tech game and Tech had a 4th and 26, and me and my roomate started joking about it.

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I believe he will be a good coach for A&M but you have to remember that they can only go so far in the Big 12. That is a monster of a conference. Each coach has their guys that they like to play even Spurrier had an issue with Emmitt Smith while he was at Florida.

I believe the 4th and 26 was on the D coordinator not ole Sherman.

Yeah..but that game shouldn't even have GOTTEN to 4th and 26 if Sherman knew how to put a game away....or appoint a GOOD defensive co-ordinater...or would have run the ball on 4th and 1 from the 38 instead of punted...or would have kicked the FG right before the half instead of going for it...or...or...or.....

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've made my opinions of the Sherminator pretty well known in here before, so I don't have any fear of saying...he ain't no Pete Carroll. Good luck with the doughboy. Win or lose the emotion is the same from him. He will look up with great fascination at the scoreboard (maybe yours has pretty lights to keep him entertained). His lights are on in his head, but nobody's home.

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Get used to this look...Couldn't find the "blank look with the pencil in mouth"..that's a good one too!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a lot of hate towards him, but I've allways thought he was a nice coach... Not outsanding... His game management was very poor, but I allways liked his style of play.

He does indeed have good eyes for talent (Green, Walker...), but he left us in such a deplorable cap state, and he didn't compensate for it with championships...

But I think in the end his greatest flaw was to "spoil" Favre: let him take complete control, do want he wanted to do. Maybe it was because Sherman himself knew he couldn't do it without Favre...

Anyway, I liked him as a HC, but when he took the GM duties as well, it was atrocious...

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I came here to see if your opinions of Mike Sherman lined up with what I have observed from him in his time at A&M.

Some of these fans here have focused on some negative aspects of Mike Sherman but bottom line is always win/loss right?

In '00 he took over a team that had gone from 11-5 in '98 to 8-8 in '99 under the "players' coach" Ray Rhodes. Nobody expected much from GB in '00. Most felt the end of an era was upon us & Capt. Sherman was on board a sinking ship.

He forged a 9-7 season out of that team featuring 2 rookie offensive tackles & a fresh RB named Ahman Green. Nobody ever credits Sherman for putting the bug in Ron Wolf's ear about acquiring Green from Seattle, the team Sherman was hired away from. Wolf traded a CB, Fred Vinson straight up for Green. We all know how well that turned out for both teams.

No playoffs in '00 but in '01 they beat SF in the WC round after a 12-4 season, then lost a head-scratcher (#4 threw 6 INTs) to eventual SB participant STL.

In '02 it was another 12-4 outing but they limped, literally, into the playoffs & lost the first-ever playoff game at Lambeau, a stigma that many never forgave Sherman for, even though Green was playing hurt, as was Donald Driver.

In '03 & '04 the records were identical 10-6 marks with drastically different results. In '03 the nation watched as #4 lit up OAK after his father passed away in Nov. Then he squeaked GB into the playoffs after a monumental late-season fade by the Vikings, won again in the WC round with a stunning OT victory over Seattle ("we want the ball & we're gonna score") but then came 4th & 26. Def. coordinator Ed Donatell had rookie LB Nick Barnett on the field on that play along with 6 DBs instead playing his bread & butter blitz package. Barnett got burned by the PHI WR & they went on to beat GB in OT.

Then in '04 they lost in the WC round to the Vikings, after beating them twice in the regular season by identical 34-31 scores. Again it was INTs by #4 that did them in.

Still by the end of that season Sherman's overall W-L record was 53-27, 2nd all-time to the great Lombardi in GB history, not too shabby. Then new management came along the team was no longer the same. A 4-12 season in '05 sealed Sherman's fate & he was canned.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just take a gander at Sherman's record while with Green Bay, and take into account his entire offensive line was out for 2005, as well as half his starting receiving corps AND Ahman Green.

Sherman is a good coach who, from what we've seen from Thompson to date, got a bad rap as a General Manager. He hit and missed, just like Teddy Ballgame, but he certainly has proven to be a better game manager and coach than Big Mac, unless Favre is really the reason why Green Bay constantly won more games than it lost.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just take a gander at Sherman's record while with Green Bay, and take into account his entire offensive line was out for 2005, as well as half his starting receiving corps AND Ahman Green.

Sherman is a good coach who, from what we've seen from Thompson to date, got a bad rap as a General Manager. He hit and missed, just like Teddy Ballgame, but he certainly has proven to be a better game manager and coach than Big Mac, unless Favre is really the reason why Green Bay constantly won more games than it lost.
He is looking much better as the season goes on.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think things would have been better if he had only the coaching to worry about. I believe the GM side was too much to handle for him. But right now he looks like vince and BB rolled into one compared to the :jester: we have now

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think things would have been better if he had only the coaching to worry about. I believe the GM side was too much to handle for him.

I couldn't agree more. Harlan stated before he stepped down that the move to hire TT wasn't a knock on Sherman's performance (lip service perhaps) but a means to ease the pressure that he witnessed in Sherman's demeanor over the course of the '04 season when Mike McKenzie was throwing a tantrum & creating a poisonous atmosphere in the locker room.

Looking back at Sherman's legacy & comparing it to what we have now certainly does make those days look far superior. Playoffs were a given, poor division or not, our Packers were going to be in the mix come January. And now, not.

I can't help but fault Harlan for hiring TT if he even had the slightest inclination of what TT's intentions were, namely establishing his own legacy instead of continuing the winning trend that Sherman established.

A 57-39 overall record, 32-16 while also carrying out GM duties from '02-'04. I'd welcome Sherman back as our coach.

Members online

Latest posts