Quarterback Exemption for NFL Salary Cap?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not real sure how many position coaches or athletic trainers at universities don't get a salary, in fact I can't think of any. Interns by their very nature, in many industries, are unpaid and simply seeking experience; if interns are allowed as an answer then there's no reason to pay anyone, anywhere.
Every team is staffed with AT interns even at major universities and even when they graduate and make it to the pros it's still the perks that make it worth it. Almost every player turned coach was an unpaid coach leanrning on the job from those much more experienced than they before becoming a paid Front office or staff memeber. How did our current GM get to where he was?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Every team is staffed with AT interns even at major universities and even when they graduate and make it to the pros it's still the perks that make it worth it. Almost every player turned coach was an unpaid coach leanrning on the job from those much more experienced than they before becoming a paid Front office or staff memeber. How did our current GM get to where he was?

Yup

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even remember the level of play being goodnor poor. Mostly just unfamiliar teams, players that didn't really play for the championships I'm familiar with :)

Which is odd for me, I do like to see the young guys play and develop. Much greater appreciation with preseason games than I used to have, but still I don't think I'd watch much. Too many guys that don't have it or won't develop minus the superstars and it's kind of a dud to me. I'd rather more developmental players and more time with coaches in this league, Not a new one.

I'm not sure talent level would be higher than that of a college team because most of these guys would be the lower ceiling perceived or real, 5th year senior guys not drafted or haven't latched on yet etc. college teams still have the draw of the sophomore or junior that will leave early and has lights out athleticism. A new league won't have that.

That's fair enough and I think it speaks to the real reason why other leagues have not succeeded. There is no familiarity with the team or the players and the leagues don't stay around long enough for it to develop. The only true threat to become an established league was the AFL and the NFL saw the possibility and thus we had the merger. Since then no league has come close. The WFL tried to poach players with offers of big money but it wasn't enough. The same happened with the USFL. It would take a real fan of the game of football to watch a bunch of people the never heard of put an inferior product on the the field. even hard core college football fans wouldn't be interested because most of the big names they were used to in the college game went into the NFL.

That's why, as I said before and Poker has said a few times, for any league to succeed it will need the support of the NFL and have some sort of team affiliation. Fans may watch the Picettville Packers though if they do know the players are being developed for their favorite NFL franchise. I just don't know how it could be done because I don' think there would be enough support for a 32 team minor league system operating within the confines of the NFL

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My preference is increased roster sizes, as well as more protection on preventing teams from raiding practice squad players.

If all else fails, I can always shut off the NFL and watch this league. A note on this league, it was very helpful where they placed the lower number on the backsides of the players, easier to keep track of who you are watching. :coffee:

A friend of mine's daughter was MVP of the LFL for a couple of years. Heather "Rockstar" Furr. I have never met her though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A friend of mine's daughter was MVP of the LFL for a couple of years. Heather "Rockstar" Furr. I have never met her though.
Ummm...you and I have been friends for how long now and you failed to tell me these important details? I'd drink a beer with her. :coffee:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm...you and I have been friends for how long now and you failed to tell me these important details? I'd drink a beer with her. :coffee:

I consider him a friend but I guess not a close one. I've known him for 15 years but we only see each other 4 or 5 times a year at reptile expos and swap meets. Unfortunately she does not share his passion for reptiles and has never accompanied him. I recall the first time I saw him after I found out who his daughter was I went up to him at his table and said " Normally I wouldn't say this to a person but I looked your daughter up on line last night" and got a lot of funny looks from the people standing nearby. He is pretty proud of her and wears Chicago Bliss shirts and hats all the time and went to most of her games. She worked at Murphy's Bleachers across from Wrigley for a long time but I never went.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I consider him a friend but I guess not a close one. I've known him for 15 years but we only see each other 4 or 5 times a year at reptile expos and swap meets. Unfortunately she does not share his passion for reptiles and has never accompanied him. I recall the first time I saw him after I found out who his daughter was I went up to him at his table and said " Normally I wouldn't say this to a person but I looked your daughter up on line last night" and got a lot of funny looks from the people standing nearby. He is pretty proud of her and wears Chicago Bliss shirts and hats all the time and went to most of her games. She worked at Murphy's Bleachers across from Wrigley for a long time but I never went.

LOL "I looked your daughter up online last night" has to be a sentence most men wouldn't want to hear. But in her case, I can see why he is proud of her. Looks like she had a good career playing football and is a real estate agent now...but don't tell her dad I was checking her out....online. :)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL "I looked your daughter up online last night" has to be a sentence most men wouldn't want to hear. But in her case, I can see why he is proud of her. Looks like she had a good career playing football and is a real estate agent now...but don't tell her dad I was checking her out....online. :)

Believe me I didn't go into details ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

A developmental league would be a win for the product, loss for the billionaires (they'd be paying the second team and making no ad money from them). Always remember, we fans love these teams; however, these teams are nothing more than money-making toys for the vast majority of owners. If an idea doesn't increase their profits, then the players have to give up money to get the idea to actually happen.

I have no idea how financially viable a developmental league would turn out to be for the NFL but have a hard time believing the owners would lose a ton of money on it.

I'm not opposed to it. College is the system. They need to get more players and more time for some to develop them. I tried watching NFL Europe and it sucked. Rather watch college rivalries and follow into pros. I'd rather they keep that system in place and figure out ways to develop players within the existing system rather than start a new substandard product.

College football will always remain the major talent pool for NFL teams to upgrade their rosters with. Nevertheless it would make a lot of sense giving players who didn't make it immediately out of college a platform to earn a roster spot on an NFL team down the road.

The Spring League is definitely not what I'm talking about when advocating for a developmental league.

But MLB farm teams play real games every day. I just don’t see that working in the NFL.

I think a better way would be to increase roster sizes and find ways for coaches to spend more time with the developmental players.

I prefer having a developmental league over an increased practice squad because of those guys being able to play in real games. It's tough to develop by only being allowed to practice on the scout team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I

College football will always remain the major talent pool for NFL teams to upgrade their rosters with. Nevertheless it would make a lot of sense giving players who didn't make it immediately out of college a platform to earn a roster spot on an NFL team down the road.

The Spring League is definitely not what I'm talking about when advocating for a developmental league.

I prefer having a developmental league over an increased practice squad because of those guys being able to play in real games. It's tough to develop by only being allowed to practice on the scout team.

It is tough to develop that way. I'd like there to be some sort of expansion of the PS type rosters and exemptions to CBA restrictions on practices for them. It would increase workloads on staff and coaches that's for certain, but I think a lot of coaches would like that to a degree. a couple extra weeks with project guys and get a region together for a day of scrimmages, which are just glorified practices, situational football etc. Then you don't have to field entire developmental teams. I don't think there are enough guys being missed from college that entire teams would be supported and I'd rather project guys stay in our system and not some generic football system mashed together with players from all other teams. Just on our own team, Cullen Jenkins and Bill Schroeder really developed in a supplemental league and took some time to latch on. I'd like to see more of that, but I'd like it to be more in house development with expanded practices for those guys with our coaches.

There would be details to work out with that otherwise you'd just have teams building huge PS rosters and guys who could play will get stashed and brought up later. If they leave all PS guys open for poaching, then good luck developing. I think there would have to be some sort of protections on kept players, but also has to be a restriction then on when they could be called up. They're going to want to keep rosters competitive like now, so having an increased PS roster, some of those guys would have to be designated to be called up to regular roster with restrictions on when or how. They aren't just going to protect another 20 guys or so from other teams and then allow them to be called up at any time. They may as well just increase roster sizes period then. Has to be some trade off.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, I'm aware. They are interns, not coaches. I'm not sure why we're comparing interns to guaranteed contracts for coaches.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea how financially viable a developmental league would turn out to be for the NFL but have a hard time believing the owners would lose a ton of money on it.

What revenue stream is supporting that league? There's a reason the USFL and European leagues went out of business.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of the 30 team GDFL?

http://www.gdfl.org/

I hadn't until I started researching development leagues. Current FA CB Delvin Breaux once played in it. So I guess these things still exist. The more I read, the more I would be in favor of just expanding current rosters or expanding the PS with the ability to protect 1/2 of them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware. They are interns, not coaches. I'm not sure why we're comparing interns to guaranteed contracts for coaches.
you made some quip students being paid in education and you'd like to see coaches be paid that way. They are, whether you want to believe it or not. At every level of the game. Gute was a coach, he coached Maz and Alvis at LaX. as an unpaid student coach. One example. You don't want to believe it, don't. half the trainers you see run out on a field on a D1 televised game are student trainers getting an education. Head coaches are not obviously, they're paid well. But then they aren't in "school" anymore are they? I guarantee the vast majority were paid in nothing but education at one point in their lives though on their way to becoming the head man. But then these students are still just students. If they don't like it. Go build the stadiums, go get their coaches, go get their trainers, go get their training staff, go get their equipment, go secure the TV contracts to showcase themselves. Go do it. **** about getting paid and just go build it.

The only issue I have with college football is the NCAA getting rich. all that money should go back to academics. Coaches are often times paid with monies that come from boosters and endowments. People can leave money to be used by universities however they want. You know how many students were made rich because they received an education from Saban? and had nationally televised games to showcase themselves in?

D

Deleted member 6794

It is tough to develop that way. I'd like there to be some sort of expansion of the PS type rosters and exemptions to CBA restrictions on practices for them.

In my opinion players on the fringe of an NFL roster would definitely benefit more from playing in real games even while facing inferior competition than solely being allowed to practice on the scout team.

What revenue stream is supporting that league?

The NFL would have to support a developmental league for it to be successful.

Anyone ever hear of the 30 team GDFL?

http://www.gdfl.org/

I hadn't until I started researching development leagues. Current FA CB Delvin Breaux once played in it. So I guess these things still exist. The more I read, the more I would be in favor of just expanding current rosters or expanding the PS with the ability to protect 1/2 of them.

I have never heard of this league but I guess the people running it don't consider it a developmental league for the NFL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I just watched the David Raih press conference. He seems so real and genuine. Can you tell us a little more about him?"

He gave up a lucrative medical device sales job in southern California to join Rick Neuheisel’s UCLA staff unpaid. That’s how he got into the coaching business. It’s all you need to know about his love of the game and passion for his job.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...f60-2136-469c-8342-50f61234ff84#ixzz5GXsUetG0

Just another example of guys putting in their time, unpaid in this sport, to further their knowledge. This is the Packer's WR coach. Still don't think coaches work for nothing more than education at some point in their careers?

Staff online

Members online