QBs not named Rodgers All threads merged

D

Deleted member 6794

What, Hundley goes down in the first drive and Callahan struggles for a few games until Indy cuts Tolzien? He scrapes by until Airod returns to clinch the division on the last drive of the regular season.

There's no doubt the Packers mishandled the backup quarterback position in 2013 entering training camp with Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman as the backups while bringing in Vince Young during the preseason before realizing neither of them was a viable option before signing Wallace and Tolzien less than a week before the start of the regular season. It took another two months after that for Thompson to sign Flynn who ended up saving the season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers mishandled the backup quarterback position in 2013 entering training camp with Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman as the backups while bringing in Vince Young during the preseason before realizing neither of them was a viable option before signing Wallace and Tolzien less than a week before the start of the regular season. It took another two months after that for Thompson to sign Flynn who ended up saving the season.
Yeah I know. I just rehashed how it went down then. And how this season has a chance to be a carbon copy except for the ending. Plus I expect AR to be out longer this time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just as I was afraid of, I saw several national sports shows last night showing clips of McCarthy's reacting to a question about Kaepernick. They thought he acted too angry about the idea. I'm sure there are people in the media who would love to use the Packers as the "face of the collusion against Keapernick" having a job in the NFL.
I don't think McCarthy's reaction had anything to do with names being mentioned, just that others were asking about people not on their team. and let's face it, it was a stupid question. Seriously. Why would a team, any team, keep 2 QB's, (one active roster one PS) and put 2-3 years into them to develop them, train them in their system. Learn their strengths, weakness, keep them as part of your team and plans and the second you need a back up, go look for a guy that has never stepped foot in your locker room?

His reaction was more about, "are you guys really that dense" and sending a clear and strong message that they know what they're up against and he knows they have to focus on themselves and getting a new QB ready, not spend time talking about what if's and focusing on the lose of Rodgers. He was making it clear they had to to move on, NOW. No time to sit and wallow, sulk or feel badly about ourselves. His message was as much for his team as it was for the fans. They could have mentioned trading for Tom Brady and it would have been the same reaction. McCarthy believes in his guys and the work they put into them. That message has been made clear in the past. He just clarified for any needing clarification.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think McCarthy's reaction had anything to do with names being mentioned, just that others were asking about people not on their team. and let's face it, it was a stupid question. Seriously. Why would a team, any team, keep 2 QB's, (one active roster one PS) and put 2-3 years into them to develop them, train them in their system. Learn their strengths, weakness, keep them as part of your team and plans and the second you need a back up, go look for a guy that has never stepped foot in your locker room?
Totally agree, he would have given the same response if they had been asking about Romo. But the media wants to stir up controversy, and has an agenda to show that Colin Kaepernick is being kept out of the league for suspect reasons. So they play up that McCarthy seemed miffed about the question. As if no head coach has ever appeared to be surly when talking to the press :rolleyes:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They say Rodgers could be throwing in 5 weeks with his surgery and ready to go in 8 weeks hopefully that's the case be back by the panthers or even the Vikings and lions close out the division... optimistic ha lezgo hundley

D

Deleted member 6794

A backup quarterback being in the system for two or three years doesn't guarantee him being ready to start for an extended period of time once being called upon. In that case it might make sense to bring in a veteran from the street. Just to clarify, I'm not saying the Packers currently find themselves in such a situation.

They say Rodgers could be throwing in 5 weeks with his surgery and ready to go in 8 weeks hopefully that's the case be back by the panthers or even the Vikings and lions close out the division...

Do you have a link to any credible source mentioning Rodgers could be throwing in five weeks???

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A backup quarterback being in the system for two or three years doesn't guarantee him being ready to start for an extended period of time once being called upon. In that case it might make sense to bring in a veteran from the street. Just to clarify, I'm not saying the Packers currently find themselves in such a situation.
I guess a former NFL doctor said this let me know what u think....?

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...vinced-aaron-rodgers-will-return-this-season/

Do you have a link to any credible source mentioning Rodgers could be throwing in five weeks???

D

Deleted member 6794

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You were negged JUST for this.

If you can't give 1-2 minutes to honor/respect those who have lost limbs/eyes/skin/bones/LIVES for military and you're already getting paid MILLIONS of dollar I don't care

The irony is, this EXACT thing that he did is part of the reason why MUCH of the country holds a bias AGAINST blacks/POC... it's just being disrespectful and uncivilized

I understand and respect standing up agaisnt social injustices, but there are HUNDREDS of other ways he could have done it

Standing for the national anthem has more significance to it than honoring military personnel. It has a much wider significance, one of which is to affirm your identity as a citizen of the USA and what it stands for, which from the beginning was supposed to be freedom, equality and justice. But when those ideals are not even close to being practiced, when African Americans in this country continue to suffer from serious racial discrimination and police violence, and when the tides of racism are swelling to levels we have not seen in decades, then Colin Kaepernick has every right to do what he did.

You can say that there are hundreds of ways to protest. And those "respectable" forms of protest will all be ignored. The NFL is theatre that is bigger than any theatre in this country, and if you want to get your message across to tens of millions of people it is very effective.

Any protest that has a lot of impact has always been met with a backlash. When the two black sprinters at the 1968 Olympic Games raised their fists in the black power salute to protest the same thing Kaepernick was, they were vilified. Sorry, but real protest is never right, never acceptable, because real protest doesn't accept the icons-as-usual that we're all supposed to identify with.

Reaction score
Yeah. Just simply saying “Kaepernick” is like cursing at us GB fans. I’d more prefer you threaten my mom than threaten to bring him here :confused:
OK I take that back I don’t trust any of ya.:D

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://sports.yahoo.com/patriots-sign-brian-hoyer-not-packers-try-grab-instead-170328597.html

We should have traded Hundley last year or in the preseason when we had the chance. As the saying goes, "It's better to part with a player a year early than a year too late." We might have been able to fleece the Dolphins, Vikings, or Jaguars for Hundley and nabbed a 3rd or 4th Round Pick. Now we'll be lucky to get a 7th unless he turns it around. But it's safe to say that if he doesn't turn it around there will be some competition for the backup job next year Hundley will either get cut or not re-signed and go the way of Scott Tolzien with the Colts(Dodged that bullet). Callahan should not be on an NFL Roster next year. The only problem is that TT likes getting UDFAs for backup QBs or by the time the 5th thru 7th Rounds come around, someone of Hundley's caliber who is likely more bust than boom.

Also....has anyone thought about Vince Young? At least put him back on the practice squad.

ThaPackman92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong I watches Hundley at UCLA. Rt now he is not ready to lead this team this late in the season. I say we get Kapernick! Football is not about about religious beliefs political views or race. Its about winning games and recapturing the Lombardi

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any suggestions for ex-Packers QBs we should have kept who you saw did a better job than the other Brett?
And who was the best one in the recent era? Matt Flynn?

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Flynn. He notably won a game for us at Dallas four years ago and threw a franchise record 6 TDs against the Lions when Aaron Rodgers was being rested for the playoffs.

Scott Tolzein could not beat out a second-year QB (Jacoby Brissett) who had just received a playbook for the starting job. Colts fans don't like him.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is the guy who made our offense look better.
And we only won more than 10 games in 4 of his 9 seasons as Starter, which is just barely playoff eligible. With the QB who has the highest QB rating ever. What chance do we have with any other starting QB, let alone a backup?

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And we only won more than 10 games in 4 of his 9 seasons as Starter, which is just barely playoff eligible. With the QB who has the highest QB rating ever. What chance do we have with any other starting QB, let alone a backup?

Ten wins is better than "barely playoff eligible." Eight wins and a division games tiebreaker are sometimes enough (just ask Vikings fans). In 2015 we went down to the wire with Minnesota for who plays at home on wild card weekend.

Members online

Latest posts