Prospects You Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2018 Round by round ...

Rd 1: Calvin Ridley WR or Lamar Jackson who can be converted to one like Randall Cobb (he's projected to go high but as he's not cut out to be an NFL QB, you gotta make him WR and he'd fit in perfectly in our offense as that.)

Rd 2: Deontay Burnett WR

Rd 3: Troy Fumagalli TE

Rd 4: Malik Jefferson LB

Rd 5: Kurt Benkert QB

Rd 6: Tyquan Lewis DE

Rd 7: Andre Chachere, CB

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
2018 Round by round ...

Rd 1: Calvin Ridley WR or Lamar Jackson who can be converted to one like Randall Cobb (he's projected to go high but as he's not cut out to be an NFL QB, you gotta make him WR and he'd fit in perfectly in our offense as that.)

Rd 2: Deontay Burnett WR

Rd 3: Troy Fumagalli TE

Rd 4: Malik Jefferson LB

Rd 5: Kurt Benkert QB

Rd 6: Tyquan Lewis DE

Rd 7: Andre Chachere, CB

I hope Lemar Jackson's stock just keeps rising, but doesn't end up a Packer pick! Right now there is a possibility that 4 other QB's (Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield) will go off the board before the Packers pick at #14, adding a 5th highly coveted QB would be awesome! Might allow the Packers to trade back a few spots and still get a great pick.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Lemar Jackson's stock just keeps rising, but doesn't end up a Packer pick! Right now there is a possibility that 4 other QB's (Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield) will go off the board before the Packers pick at #14, adding a 5th highly coveted QB would be awesome! Might allow the Packers to trade back a few spots and still get a great pick.

Like I said, I'd prefer the Packers number 1 pick to be Calvin Ridley because a high pick like what we got should be used on a big offensive weapon that has the burner speed that Cobb had in his rookie year, and so that we got a legitimate reason to dump Trevor Davis off this roster. But my thinking is if Ridley goes before then and Jackson is still around and no current star projected 1st round WRs are out there, Lamar Jackson can be grabbed because he'd be easy to convert to a WR and you can sell him on the idea of doing it by letting him know he'll be catching passes from Rodgers.

My bottom line is our high pick here needs to be used to get a WR that will give the Vikes defense a big huge headache this next season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As much as I would like to see a great WR being drafted, I don't expect it to come with the #14 pick, at least not in 2018. Last year's crop of WR's had very little impact for their teams. Probably the most impactful rookie WR taken in the first 2 rounds, was JuJu Juster Smith for the Steelers and he was selected #62, the pick after Josh Jones. Cooper Kupp taken at #69 wasn't bad either.

Sure we might find an eventual impactful WR at #14, but I wouldn't be letting Jordy and Cobb walk expecting a rookie to fill one of their shoes immediately.

Depending on FA signings, I would prefer going after a pass rusher in round 1 and a WR in round 2.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Last night I Mocked

1. Roquan Smith LB

2. Dorance Armstrong Edge

3A Mark Andrews TE/Troy Fumagallu TE

3B Deon Cain WR/ Michael Gallup WR

I'd be pretty darn happy with a combination of that two days into draft. I also like Darren Carrington WR as a day two prospect.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lest we forget we are projected to have 4 comp picks in this, 1 3rd and 3 in the fifth. So if Gute wants to be aggressive I would say that picks 3 4 5 and 6 are all on the trade block for moving up in either the first or the second round.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lest we forget we are projected to have 4 comp picks in this, 1 rd and 3 in the fifth. So if Gute wants to be aggressive I would say that picks 3 4 5 and 6 are all on the trade block for moving up in either the first or the second round.

Think you meant 1 of the comp picks will come at the end of Rd. 3?

Packers should also pick up an extra pick in the 7th round for the trade of Lerentee McCray to Buffalo. This would give them 12 picks to "play" with. I can't imagine them using all 12 picks on players, so I expect to see Gute doing some trading up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

But my thinking is if Ridley goes before then and Jackson is still around and no current star projected 1st round WRs are out there, Lamar Jackson can be grabbed because he'd be easy to convert to a WR and you can sell him on the idea of doing it by letting him know he'll be catching passes from Rodgers.

I definitely don't want the Packers to spend their highest pick in nine years on a quarterback to convert him to play receiver.

So if Gute wants to be aggressive I would say that picks 3 4 5 and 6 are all on the trade block for moving up in either the first or the second round.

That won't be enough to acquire a first round pick in return.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely don't want the Packers to spend their highest pick in nine years on a quarterback to convert him to play receiver.

Not even if he had Cobb's rookie year speed breakout capability and was returning kickoffs or punts for TDs?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, I'd prefer the Packers number 1 pick to be Calvin Ridley because a high pick like what we got should be used on a big offensive weapon that has the burner speed that Cobb had in his rookie year, and so that we got a legitimate reason to dump Trevor Davis off this roster. But my thinking is if Ridley goes before then and Jackson is still around and no current star projected 1st round WRs are out there, Lamar Jackson can be grabbed because he'd be easy to convert to a WR and you can sell him on the idea of doing it by letting him know he'll be catching passes from Rodgers.

My bottom line is our high pick here needs to be used to get a WR that will give the Vikes defense a big huge headache this next season.

Calvin Ridley doesn't have burner speed, he's also real skinny. I'd be disappointed if the Packers uses the #14 pick on him. I'd go with Christian Kirk wide receiver Texas a&m he's bigger stronger and way faster also he's a dynamic punt returner

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at the 14 pick you have to go with an athletic big man....defense or even OL. big athletic guys are rare...they are gone half way through first round. i would never take a wideout...maybe j. jones thats about it. shoot for second round WR or CB.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That won't be enough to acquire a first round pick in return.

Of course not but it would be enough to move up in the first round to get a coveted player if need be. After seeing what Ryan Shazier did for Pittsburgh defense it might be worth it for the Packers to move up and secure Roquan Smith.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calvin Ridley doesn't have burner speed, he's also real skinny. I'd be disappointed if the Packers uses the #14 pick on him. I'd go with Christian Kirk wide receiver Texas a&m he's bigger stronger and way faster also he's a dynamic punt returner

I always feel like Bama players are overrated coming into the NFL.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at the 14 pick you have to go with an athletic big man....defense or even OL. big athletic guys are rare...they are gone half way through first round. i would never take a wideout...maybe j. jones thats about it. shoot for second round WR or CB.

So when Ron wolf was debating between vonnie Holliday and Randy moss during the first round of the 1998 draft you think it was smart to take a big athletic guy over moss just because he was a receiver. At pick 14 you have to take the best available player regardless of position unless that position is qb. If you think one guys a future hall of famer you don't take some big athletic olinemen because those are more rare

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well okay R Moss and J. jones...Ridley isnt ether one. what about other first round vikes WR treadwell and patterson... bust. ill take a top OL DL EDGE of even LB before WR any day at 14 pick...yes moss is an exception..hall of fame. very good WR are there in the second, ie Jordy.

Chris H

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Arden key Edge has some injury concerns but if stay healthy could be good also like Joshua Jackson DB and I like queitin Nelson G for the packers first pick

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets look at this draft..at 14 bradley chubb and ridley are there....nobody takes ridley.
So when Ron wolf was debating between vonnie Holliday and Randy moss during the first round of the 1998 draft you think it was smart to take a big athletic guy over moss just because he was a receiver. At pick 14 you have to take the best available player regardless of position unless that position is qb. If you think one guys a future hall of famer you don't take some big athletic olinemen because those are more rare

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't love Vita Vea, but I think he would be an interesting pick as a 3-4 end. Although he's 330, he's not a NT. Doesn't have the anchor. He does do a pretty good job of penetrating and hitting gaps though. I think we have bigger needs though.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah you can find big athletic guys, the trick is to coach them up. See TJ Lang and Josh Sitton for instance. Every year there are plenty of guys in the mid rounds who are big and strong but need some refinement. My preferred approach is keep the DL and OLs in a state of constant flux, bring in bodies each year in rounds 3-7 and may the best men hold roster spots. If you're picking in the top 15 its a good idea to look for transcendent talent. For my money I think Roquan Smith might be worth packaging a 3rd 4th and 5th round picks to try and get him. The Steelers had a top defense with Ryan Shazier, without him they sucked.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah you can find big athletic guys, the trick is to coach them up. See TJ Lang and Josh Sitton for instance. Every year there are plenty of guys in the mid rounds who are big and strong but need some refinement. My preferred approach is keep the DL and OLs in a state of constant flux, bring in bodies each year in rounds 3-7 and may the best men hold roster spots. If you're picking in the top 15 its a good idea to look for transcendent talent. For my money I think Roquan Smith might be worth packaging a 3rd 4th and 5th round picks to try and get him. The Steelers had a top defense with Ryan Shazier, without him they sucked.
i think thats a win...sure be nice to start off with R. Smith then 2nd round best EDGE but big drop off by then...little scary if nobody around. if not maybe WR Kirk or CB. then 3rd the TE out oklahoma or North Dakota State..both good value in the 3rd round. man lots of options...we have to hit it big.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW Wimm
i think thats a win...sure be nice to start off with R. Smith then 2nd round best EDGE but big drop off by then...little scary if nobody around. if not maybe WR Kirk or CB. then 3rd the TE out oklahoma or North Dakota State..both good value in the 3rd round. man lots of options...we have to hit it big.

If you get an elite ILB who can keep the middle of the field from being a first down superhighway our current pass rushers will look markedly better.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I read that every year, "we have to hit is big". A team is fooling themselves if they bank on that happening. It's great when it does, but even if it does, you probably won't see it for a few years. Gunt is going to have to "hit it big" in Free Agency, if he is trying to put a Super Bowl quality team on the field in 2018.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that every year, "we have to hit is big". A team is fooling themselves if they bank on that happening. It's great when it does, but even if it does, you probably won't see it for a few years. Gunt is going to have to "hit it big" in Free Agency, if he is trying to put a Super Bowl quality team on the field in 2018.
my point is we are drafting at 14 plus two 3rd round picks, we need a little luck, and maybe with all the QBs going early we get a couple day one starters, good example is 2017 saints draft...epic. but things have to fall your way. i hope we are not picking again at 14 for a long long time. gotta take advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.