Projecting the 53 Man Roster

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
S: Amos and Savage starts. Jones is the weird one out of the group, if he excels as dime linebacker he has a spot but He might even ask for a trade. Greene serves special teams and backup.

Soo.. Josh Jones skipping OTAs.. asking for a trade. :eek:

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roster

QB: Rodgers, Kizer 2

RB:Jones, Williams, Williams*, Bibbs 4

FB: Vitale 1

WR: Adams, Allison, EQ, MVS, Kumerow, Davis 6

TE:Graham, Sternberger*, Lewis, Tonyan, 4

OL:Bahktiari, Taylor, Linsley, Turner, Bulaga, Spriggs, Jenkins*, Madison 8

DL: Daniels, Clark, Adams, Lowry,

Keke* 5

OLB:Smith, Smith, Gary*, Fackrell,

Gilbert 5

MLB:Martinez, Burks, Summers*, Crawford 4

CB: King, Alexander, Jackson, Brown, Williams, Hollman*, 6

S: Amos, Savage*, Jones, Greene, Jamerson 5

ST: Crosby K, Bradley LS, Scott P

Practice: Boyle QB, Moore WR, Light OL, Nijman OL, Lancaster DL, Looney DL, Donnerson, OLB, Matthews S, Roberts LB, Ento CB

This is my latest addition. This one would be considered roster optimized as I tried to sneak a few people on the practice squad who I think we will probably keep on the roster to risk not losing like Moore and Donnerson. I just think if we could get them on the PS it would help us keep more useful players right now and let them develop. Also, I kept Jones at safety cuz I am still holding out hope they convince him to get into camp and show he actually deserves a spot. I feel he could be a very useful ST player along with S/LB hybrid if he commits and is used right.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been busy this summer. BUMP.

I still rest my case for the 53 man roster. I feel like Ty Summers is going to get beat out by Curtis Bolton due to special teams play. Hearing Olivadotti talk about Ty Summers (only when propted by reporter), it felt flat and generic (of course we can only spectulate thus far till pads go on). I thought it was interesting he included Bolton in his converstation of young ILBs left out others UDFAs. I would really like to see Donnerson improve as a speed pass rusher to compliment the Smith bros

H

HardRightEdge

Demovsky quoting Mennenga:

"We faced [Davis] before when I was in Cleveland and stuff, so I've known about him. Got a lot of respect for him and excited about him. He's continued to get better through the spring and excited about where he's trending to and where he's projecting to. He's got a lot of big-play ability. Having experience back there returning kickoffs and punts but the other thing I think people forget about is he's also a good cover player. He's a good gunner and he's a good cover player on kickoffs."

Adjust expectations accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers on Kumerow:

"He is an extremely intelligent guy who is in the right place at the right time, he makes contested catches, he makes the plays that are there and he does the little things,” Rodgers said. “I’m always applauding in an overt way to let the other guys know this is the way to practice.”

Rodgers noted Kumerow caught a touchdown in a closed practice, utilizing a toe drag to stay in bounds. It was a small moment, but one the quarterback felt was important to highlight.

“Just little things like that he does I think almost separates him from a guy you might not trust as much because you know the guy is going to do it right, he’ll always be in the right spot, he knows what he’s doing all the time and what the other guys are doing,” Rodgers said. “And when he gets a chance to make plays, he makes plays. And he does it in a super classy, understated way. Obviously, I’m a big fan of him. I could keep going.”

It might be smart to adjust expectations accordingly in this case as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, and I do think Rodgers is being sincere when he says these things. Kumerow might not be the next Adams for this team, but doing the little things might just keep him a spot and more opportunity over some others. I think Rodgers was being genuine when he said those things, I also think it was a bit of a message to the other guys that maybe still don't get it? They should be better, but aren't quite training like a pro and if you're not training and practicing like a "pro", you're not going to matter much to this team. An early subtle message to year 2 guys, get your **** together every day, every down, every practice and twice as much off the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

I mentioned this in another thread, and I do think Rodgers is being sincere when he says these things. Kumerow might not be the next Adams for this team, but doing the little things might just keep him a spot and more opportunity over some others. I think Rodgers was being genuine when he said those things, I also think it was a bit of a message to the other guys that maybe still don't get it? They should be better, but aren't quite training like a pro and if you're not training and practicing like a "pro", you're not going to matter much to this team. An early subtle message to year 2 guys, get your **** together every day, every down, every practice and twice as much off the field.

I don't believe Rodgers is trying to send a massage to other receivers but that he's convinced Kumerow could have a decent impact in the Packers offense.

H

HardRightEdge

Rodgers on Kumerow:

"He is an extremely intelligent guy who is in the right place at the right time, he makes contested catches, he makes the plays that are there and he does the little things,” Rodgers said. “I’m always applauding in an overt way to let the other guys know this is the way to practice.”

Rodgers noted Kumerow caught a touchdown in a closed practice, utilizing a toe drag to stay in bounds. It was a small moment, but one the quarterback felt was important to highlight.

“Just little things like that he does I think almost separates him from a guy you might not trust as much because you know the guy is going to do it right, he’ll always be in the right spot, he knows what he’s doing all the time and what the other guys are doing,” Rodgers said. “And when he gets a chance to make plays, he makes plays. And he does it in a super classy, understated way. Obviously, I’m a big fan of him. I could keep going.”

It might be smart to adjust expectations accordingly in this case as well.
These comments are not in random order. Being "in the right place at the right time" is Job #1, running the route the QB expects, in the way the QB expects, to the spot the QB expects, in sync with QB timing. The high number of throwaways last season with all of those rookie snaps was not some newfound risk aversion.
I don't believe Rodgers is trying to send a massage to other receivers but that he's convinced Kumerow could have a decent impact in the Packers offense.
“I’m always applauding in an overt way to let the other guys know this is the way to practice.”

That's clearly some kind of message being sent to the other guys. Not Adams, obviously, and probably not Allison, a guy about whom Rodgers has been similarly lauditory in the past. Even if the assumption is made that Adams/MVS/Allison line up for the first snap in week 1, the odds say there will be plenty snaps up for grabs at the #4 spot.

You're not going 48 for 48 in games played among the top 3. Injuries happen. 6 games missed among those top 3, two apiece on average, is actually a relatively benign scenario. In the mix-and-match at slot, Allison lacks the ideal physicality and durability while MVS needs to master those routes along with his wideout routes, a tall order for a second year player ordinarily, more difficult in a new offense. There is an opening for a 3-man rotation opposite Adams based on matchups. We could throw Tonyan into that mix, a new age TE who's essentially an oversized WR.

As for Davis, there's more love being dished by Rodgers and LaFleur:

https://www.packers.com/news/trevor-davis-inserting-himself-into-the-mix-at-receiver

LaFluer, Rodgers and Mennenga are clearly framing the situation as a competition for snaps, as it should be. The message is that last year's rookies can't just keep doing what they were doing. They need to show progression or snaps are at risk.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man. Freaking J'Mon Moore.

I'm excited to see that Davis is performing well though. Dude just needs to stay healthy. LaFleur could use him in a lot of fun ways on offense. Nice to see Mennenga talk about how good of a gunner he is. That stuff matters.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. Let's try this.

Which WR is he playing over:

Adams? Lol.
Allison? No.
MVS? No.
EQSB? No.
Moore? Maybe.
Davis? Yes.

Can he get open against good DB's? I question that. I just don't think he's worth a roster spot as an at best, #5 WR. He doesn't do enough to justify that. He's not a gunner, he's not a returner, he's not young...it just doesn't make sense.
He has the confidence of AR12 and now ML is praising him. Keep sleeping on him. He will be a key contributor on offense this year. Mark it down. I'm looking forward to sharing some screenshots a few months from now.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm excited to see that Davis is performing well though. Dude just needs to stay healthy.

Davis will make the team based on his play on special teams but he needs to significantly improve as a receiver to make an impact on offense.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Didn't want to start a new thread for this, and here seems as good a place as any:

Per PFF, MVS created separation on over 70% of his routes, which was a top 3 mark among qualifying wide receivers.

H

HardRightEdge

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, and here seems as good a place as any:

Per PFF, MVS created separation on over 70% of his routes, which was a top 3 mark among qualifying wide receivers.
That's interesting. The question is whether he broke into separation in the route and in the way Rodgers was expecting. Lack of rookie chemistry would not be unusual.

MVS's college highlights showed a QB chronically underthrowing him. Who knows how bad the other throws looked. While we can't compare a guy who will never take an NFL snap to Aaron Rodgers, it's worth noting Rodgers had trouble calibrating to MVS's speed, more underthrows than overthrows to my eye, but a lack of calibration nonetheless on deep balls.

I'm pretty high on MVS's progression potential. I don't know where he'll eventually max out, but more upside should be expected.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EARLY PREDICTION 2.0- ROUGH TAKES

QB-3:
ARod starting. Kizer and Wilkins backup Rodgers. LaFleur has expressed keeping three QBs. Kizer brings that big QB presence, while Wilkins runs the opponent RPOs and Air Raid scout offense. Boyle gets cut.
  • A. Rodgers
  • D. Kizer
  • M. Wilkins
  • RT: 3
RB-4:
  • A. Jones
  • J. Williams
  • D. Williams
  • D. Vitale
  • RT: 7
TE-4:
  • J. Graham
  • M. Lewis
  • J. Sternberger
  • R. Tonyan
  • RT: 11
WR-6:
  • D. Adams
  • G. Allison
  • M. Valdes-Scantling
  • E. St. Brown
  • J. Kumerow
  • J. Moore
  • RT: 17
OL-9:
  • LT- D. Bakhtiari
    • J. Spriggs
  • LG- L.Taylor
    • E. Jenkins
  • C - C. Linsley
    • L. Patrick
  • RG- B. Turner
    • C. Madison
  • RT- B. Bulaga
    • J. Spriggs
  • T: 9
  • RT: 26
DL-5: Pettine will definitely be rotating in Gary and Z.Smith on passing downs. Mike D gone.
  • K. Clark
  • M. Adams
  • D. Lowry
  • T. Lancaster
  • K. Keke
  • T: 5
  • RT: 31
EDGE-5: Smith bros take the job. Gary will surprise folks with his athleticism bending the edge but has growing pains in pass coverage. Fackrell and Donnerson will rotate in.
  • Z. Smith
  • P. Smith
  • R. Gary
  • K. Fackrell
  • K. Donnerson
  • RT: 36
ILB-4: Martinez is a stud and will command the defense. Burks will start next to Martinez but can't get off blocks and gets overtaken by Crawford (who can also play emergency EDGE). Ty Summer gets outperformed by Curtis Bolton on special team.
  • B. Martinez
  • J. Crawford
  • O. Burks
  • C. Bolton
  • T: 4
  • RT: 40
CB-6: Tramon is the leader of the group mentoring and being the voice of reason for DBs. Talented DBs but needs to stay healthy. Hollman (great story) gets beaten by T.Brown last on chart.
  • J. Alexander
  • T. Williams
  • K. King
  • J. Jackson
  • T. Brown
  • K. Hollman
  • T: 6
  • RT: 46
S-4:
  • A. Amos
  • D. Savage
  • R. Greene
  • N. Jamerson
  • RT: 50
ST: Crosby stays because he has no competition. Packers need to bring in a legit kicker to light a fire up his *** or it might be the case he is over the hill. JK Scott has to perform better, started out the season strong but when that winter came, he crumbled. Rumors suggested the poor kicks by Crosby maybe due to poor snapping by Bradley but for now its all rumors. Bradley stays.
  • M. Crosby
  • J. Scott
  • H. Bradley
  • T: 3
  • RT: 53

D

Deleted member 6794

Gary will surprise folks with his athleticism bending the edge but has growing pains in pass coverage.

I highly doubt Gary will drop into coverage a lot of times for that to be a valid concern.

Rumors suggested the poor kicks by Crosby maybe due to poor snapping by Bradley but for now its all rumors.

I wonder what's Crosby's excuse for his misses before Bradley was drafted.

H

HardRightEdge

I highly doubt Gary will drop into coverage a lot of times for that to be a valid concern.
Pettine is known to run some zone blitzes with a dropping OLB (as did Capers), and does mix in some 4-3 variations as well. Among all the OLBs, the best suited to that dropping role is Fackrell. Despite all the yada yada over Fackrell's sacks, which were an aberation, the best aspect of his game is play recognition in dropping into short zone coverage. His edge contain is much improved over his skinny and clueless rookie season. I could see him getting a decent number of substitution snaps in run-pass tweener downs.

H

HardRightEdge

EARLY PREDICTION 2.0- ROUGH TAKES

QB-3:
ARod starting. Kizer and Wilkins backup Rodgers. LaFleur has expressed keeping three QBs. Kizer brings that big QB presence, while Wilkins runs the opponent RPOs and Air Raid scout offense. Boyle gets cut.
  • A. Rodgers
  • D. Kizer
  • M. Wilkins
  • RT: 3
RB-4:
  • A. Jones
  • J. Williams
  • D. Williams
  • D. Vitale
  • RT: 7
TE-4:
  • J. Graham
  • M. Lewis
  • J. Sternberger
  • R. Tonyan
  • RT: 11
WR-6:
  • D. Adams
  • G. Allison
  • M. Valdes-Scantling
  • E. St. Brown
  • J. Kumerow
  • J. Moore
  • RT: 17
OL-9:
  • LT- D. Bakhtiari
    • J. Spriggs
  • LG- L.Taylor
    • E. Jenkins
  • C - C. Linsley
    • L. Patrick
  • RG- B. Turner
    • C. Madison
  • RT- B. Bulaga
    • J. Spriggs
  • T: 9
  • RT: 26
DL-5: Pettine will definitely be rotating in Gary and Z.Smith on passing downs. Mike D gone.
  • K. Clark
  • M. Adams
  • D. Lowry
  • T. Lancaster
  • K. Keke
  • RT: 31
EDGE-5: Smith bros take the job. Gary will surprise folks with his athleticism bending the edge but has growing pains in pass coverage. Fackrell and Donnerson will rotate in.
  • Z. Smith
  • P. Smith
  • R. Gary
  • K. Fackrell
  • K. Donnerson
  • RT: 36
ILB-4: Martinez is a stud and will command the defense. Burks will start next to Martinez but can't get off blocks and gets overtaken by Crawford (who can also play emergency EDGE). Ty Summer gets outperformed by Curtis Bolton on special team.
  • B. Martinez
  • J. Crawford
  • O. Burks
  • C. Bolton
  • T: 4
  • RT: 40
CB-6: Tramon is the leader of the group mentoring and being the voice of reason for DBs. Talented DBs but needs to stay healthy. Hollman (great story) gets beaten by T.Brown last on chart.
  • J. Alexander
  • T. Williams
  • K. King
  • J. Jackson
  • T. Brown
  • K. Hollman
  • T: 6
  • RT: 46
S-4:
  • A. Amos
  • D. Savage
  • R. Greene
  • N. Jamerson
  • RT: 50
ST: Crosby stays because he has no competition. Packers need to bring in a legit kicker to light a fire up his *** or it might be the case he is over the hill. JK Scott has to perform better, started out the season strong but when that winter came, he crumbled. Rumors suggested the poor kicks by Crosby maybe due to poor snapping by Bradley but for now its all rumors. Bradley stays.
  • M. Crosby
  • J. Scott
  • H. Bradley
  • T: 3
  • RT: 53
If the Daniels move isn't enough evidence, this is an exercise in futility until you at least see some of these guys in preseason. Then there are injuries between now an opening day. This is particularly the case in the Gutekunst era compared to Thompson's later years.

The best you can do is identify locks, maybe 30 of those, give or take, and you'd probably still draw some debate.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Daniels move isn't enough evidence, this is an exercise in futility until you at least see some of these guys in preseason. Then there are injuries between now an opening day. This is particularly the case in the Gutekunst era compared to Thompson's later years.

The best you can do is identify locks, maybe 30 of those, give or take, and you'd probably still draw some debate.

This is just for fun man. Of course we can't ID all locks if we could we'd be billionaires. Don't take it too serious.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how do you know that since the season hasn't started yet? It's just all rough takes. Even Matthews had to drop in coverage (zone) after showing blitz.

Reaction score
Let's just say this, it isn't Davis's job to loose, but anyone's job to win, especially with a new HC and special teams coach.
Hey Poker, Long Time Never See ;)
There’s been all sorts of changes..so anything goes I guess. But I disagree with him being odd man out..and here’s why. Davis is still on his rookie deal and he’s productive on both sides of ST, but he’s also a veteran and we are clearly lacking experience at this position. He’s also entering year 4, but really his 3rd considering him missing nearly all of last season. That seems to be the area that the WR position comes into fruition. Also, He’s young and fast and that’s been Gutes direction since the minute he put on the GM cap. (Pun intended). As a 5th rounder ..He is also cheap and any GM likes that.

The difference between a bad returner and a good returner is about 4 yards. Per game, about 16-20 yards. It just doesn't matter that much.
That’s only one aspect of the game, but no returner gets exactly 4 return yards per attempt. It’s more that several big ones they rip that can set the stage for points and a W.
The ST coaches have reportedly said he’s also one of their best gunners. So there’s that.
Also he’s the fastest returner we got (roughly .2 faster than Jake in the 40). A 6-7th WR isn’t going to see the field much except on ST, at least not anytime soon. I have nothing against Kumerow, but he was undrafted and bounced Practice Squad to PS. Hes definitively slower (albeit a good route runner) and older than Davis. If it came down to a positives and negatives chart between these 2 I wouldn’t want to be Jake. That said, I like Kumerow’s connection with Aaron and he’s a great route runner. So is Adams, GMO, EQ, MVS, Moore etc.. you get the picture.
I almost wonder if J’mon wouldn’t be on the hot seat more than these two. To me it’s looking like 6+1 PS at WR. We may keep them both.
It’s a good argument either way because really beyond Adams GMO and MVS it’s a fierce battle for pecking order and the professional resumes are short.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts