Prioritizing Needs

D

Deleted member 6794

Edge, TE, WR, OL, Safety in that order.

Edge is obvious, the Packers don't have a decent TE on the roster, the WR room is extremely shallow and a good receiving corps is a young QBs best friend, the OL has depth at tackle but guard/center could use improvement, and as for safety, well, I think that is also obvious.

I don't consider edge rusher to be the most pressing need on the roster. In my opinion there's hope Gary will be able to play early next season, pushing the need to add talent at the position down significantly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My priority.
Right side of OL. We have depth guys, we need bonafide starting caliber, at least 1 more tackle or guard. they aren't good enough over there and we're not going to have our 6th Olineman this year most likely to cover for it. Everything from our center on out to RT could be upgraded and improving at least 1 of those positions could be enough. But 1 of them needs to be improved or it won't be good enough IMO.
Safety
DL
TE
Edge rusher
WR
RB
ILB

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In each case a vet FA signing could push the need down.
1.TE-NO true NFL starter on roster
2.WR- Only starters are coming off rookie injury riddled seasons.
3a. DL- Needs depth. I expect Wyatt to step up.
3b. E- Depends on Gary medical reports.
5. LB- Need depth. Someone with ST experience.
6. OL- 7 players who have started for GB. Hopefully internal improvement.
7. DB- recent signings have dropped this position for me.
I am not saying I would draft in this order. I am confident Gute will stay with his board. They must get at least 1 day 2 pick from Jets which would give them 7 picks in the 1st 5 rounds to help these 7 positions of need. Signing a couple of guys before the draft alleviates the need to hit on every pick or reach. Then sign a couple of more guys after the draft depending how that goes. No money for splash players only depth type guys. That leaves 4 7th rounders. Use 1 in the Jets trade, use 1 to move up a few spots in either round 4 or 5. QB or RB could be a 7th rounder just as well as UDFA.I think you take another WR with one of the 7ths + an UDFA. If you have 1 left use it to double down on a position of need.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
interesting. The last 2 Scouting reports I read said exactly the opposite. They inferred he would transition perfectly inside to 3T at the NFL level and he was NOT a natural outside bender. I know I know that sounds just crazy, but I’m not the scouts that are claiming that so blame them. You can clearly see he’s not your typical 283lb guy. He’s that top 3% anomaly in the mold of a poor man’s Aaron Donald right now. A little weaker up top than Aaron, a little faster underneath. He’s a Very rare coin, take a closer look.

My guess is he’ll be gone earlier Day 2 in that top 50-75 range so I probably just get to dream. Too early to take a chance Round 2, likely long gone by Mid 3rd

Yes, there is a theory that he should add weight and play 3T. I don't think that's crazy. However, I don't think he would be a guy that you'd want to count on to immediately give you interior snaps. He would either be an edge playing out of position, or a guy in transition.

He's a total Packers type, athletically, so I wouldn't rule it out, but I'm just skeptical.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My priority.
Right side of OL. We have depth guys, we need bonafide starting caliber, at least 1 more tackle or guard. they aren't good enough over there and we're not going to have our 6th Olineman this year most likely to cover for it. Everything from our center on out to RT could be upgraded and improving at least 1 of those positions could be enough. But 1 of them needs to be improved or it won't be good enough IMO.
Safety
DL
TE
Edge rusher
WR
RB
ILB

There's a really good case to be made that the Packers should take a tackle with their highest pick if one is there. Good tackles are particularly hard to find later in the draft and they're super expensive if you need to try and buy one on the market.

Darnell Wright would be really sweet.

Reaction score
There's a really good case to be made that the Packers should take a tackle with their highest pick if one is there. Good tackles are particularly hard to find later in the draft and they're super expensive if you need to try and buy one on the market.

Darnell Wright would be really sweet.
There is a philosophy that having a great front 5 gives a QB that extra .5 sec to read and react. It also comes in handy in the Run game. I could also see that from the standpoint of protecting our new QB both in Pass and Run. If we had :
Bak, Jenkins, Myers, Wright, Nijman would be very formidable.
With Wright and Tom as primary Tackle backups. We’d certainly have adequate OL depth also.

Last edited:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to think safety was the biggest need, but we have Savage returning, signed a few of our own, and grabbed Moore. Not ideal, but we have some depth there now. I honestly think our biggest weakness is tight end right now. We have Tyler Davis(um..) and Deguara that have played some snaps with Deguara being more of an H-back type. If Lewis goes to NY with Aaron, we're really in a tough spot.

Offensive line returns most of our starters. Edge we'll hopefully have Gary back at the start, but definitely needs more depth and talent. D-line is actually a very underrated need. Our run defense was awful and our depth there is bad. So here's how I'd rank our needs:

TE
DL
WR
Edge
Safety
OL(we do so well here late anyway)
ILB(need depth)

Reaction score
I used to think safety was the biggest need, but we have Savage returning, signed a few of our own, and grabbed Moore. Not ideal, but we have some depth there now. I honestly think our biggest weakness is tight end right now. We have Tyler Davis(um..) and Deguara that have played some snaps with Deguara being more of an H-back type. If Lewis goes to NY with Aaron, we're really in a tough spot.

Offensive line returns most of our starters. Edge we'll hopefully have Gary back at the start, but definitely needs more depth and talent. D-line is actually a very underrated need. Our run defense was awful and our depth there is bad. So here's how I'd rank our needs:

TE
DL
WR
Edge
Safety
ILB(need depth)
IF we got a Top 4 TE this year, they all have substantial ability in the Receiving area. That top tier TE indirectly lowers our need at WR. In that Top 50 draft pick we’d get One that should get involved earlier than we are accustomed to.

D

Deleted member 6794

In each case a vet FA signing could push the need down.
1.TE-NO true NFL starter on roster
2.WR- Only starters are coming off rookie injury riddled seasons.
3a. DL- Needs depth. I expect Wyatt to step up.
3b. E- Depends on Gary medical reports.
5. LB- Need depth. Someone with ST experience.
6. OL- 7 players who have started for GB. Hopefully internal improvement.
7. DB- recent signings have dropped this position for me.

So here's how I'd rank our needs:

TE
DL
WR
Edge
Safety
ILB(need depth)

While I agree that tight end is currently the position in biggest need of an upgrade there's an argument to be made the Packers still lack a starting caliber safety as well. Therefore I have ranked safety as the second most pressing need on the roster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that tight end is currently the position in biggest need of an upgrade there's an argument to be made the Packers still lack a starting caliber safety as well. Therefore I have ranked safety as the second most pressing need on the roster.

I concur, but man this draft class is not good IMO as a whole. There is not Hamilton type prospect clearly out there that both has the head, ball skills, anticipation and the athleticisms that should all translate to the NFL. I wouldn't be shocked if Gute swings multiple times at it potentially.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with what Tyni said above, there just isn't any standouts worth a first with this safety group. Originally liked Branch, but after the way he tested, I'm not so sure. I do like Jartavius Martin who tested elite, but also had a ton of talent around him though. Pretty sure he'll go day 2

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with what Tyni said above, there just isn't any standouts worth a first with this safety group. Originally liked Branch, but after the way he tested, I'm not so sure. I do like Jartavius Martin who tested elite, but also had a ton of talent around him though. Pretty sure he'll go day 2

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for the Packers to select a safety if that prospect doesn't present the best value in the first round. I truly believe the position is in dire need of an upgrade though.

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for the Packers to select a safety if that prospect doesn't present the best value in the first round. I truly believe the position is in dire need of an upgrade though.
I could easily see one starting Round3. I see there’s roughly 8-10 Safeties rated in that Round 3-4 grade.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you believe any of them would be good enough to start in week 1?

I know wasn’t asked of me but honestly a few yes, Brandon Joseph is a guy that didn’t test well but is extremely play smart and I think may start who could be there in the third.

Conner from VTech is another I could see.

Christian Izien from Rutgers is a dude I think is gonna shock people. An excellent slot, nickle who ran low 4.3s jumped 40 plus and is strong at point of attacks in run/box set ups.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know wasn’t asked of me but honestly a few yes, Brandon Joseph is a guy that didn’t test well but is extremely play smart and I think may start who could be there in the third.

Conner from VTech is another I could see.

Christian Izien from Rutgers is a dude I think is gonna shock people. An excellent slot, nickle who ran low 4.3s jumped 40 plus and is strong at point of attacks in run/box set ups.

Thanks for the info, highly appreciated. I will take a look at those guys.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, highly appreciated. I will take a look at those guys.

Sydney Brown is my favorite safety prospect, issue is he would require our second as he has no business falling to the third in my opinion. Brown is a special athlete but also shows immense chips in play recognition, hip flip, coverage skill and tackling.

Reaction score
Do you believe any of them would be good enough to start in week 1?
Not for the most part. I’d likely work them in gradually in packages that used their strong points. It still possible you might get a 3rd Rounder that plays good his first year. Here’s realistic example:

If Jordan Battle sniffs the early
3rd Round 64-78 area??
I could see it yes. He’s an 8.99 RAS and Coming right up our alley.

NFLDRAFTBUZZ
Battle has great natural ability with ideal size for a strong safety, is a natural leader, and has proved super smart while leading the Alabama defense. He also is surprisingly adept in coverage for such a big safety and could even be trusted as a corner in a pinch. He however isn't as good a tackler as you would expect and misses more tackles than you would hope.

We consider Battle to be an excellent pro prospect who will likely be a week one starter at the next level with the potential to be a pro bowler as long as if he works on his tackling skills.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Sydney Brown is my favorite safety prospect, issue is he would require our second as he has no business falling to the third in my opinion. Brown is a special athlete but also shows immense chips in play recognition, hip flip, coverage skill and tackling.

According to PFF tackling has been an issue for Brown as he has missed 17.8% of his tackles during his five year tenure at Illinois. He didn't record any season below 16.5% of missed tackles according to them.

Not for the most part. I’d likely work them in gradually in packages that used their strong points.

If the Packers don't find a safety in the draft capable of starting immediately that would leave a huge question mark at the position entering the season though.

Reaction score
If the Packers don't find a safety in the draft capable of starting immediately that would leave a huge question mark at the position entering the season though.
Well there’s only maybe a few Safeties I would feel comfortable starting week 1 and they’ll be gone in that top 100 players area. So for myself, much of the solution to that dilemma depends on our trade deal with NY and that’s why this trade that some are making light of is no joke (not saying you says that)

If we let Rodgers go drastically under trade value? we’ll be needing more than just a Safety, we’ll Have plenty of vacancies in our FO also and expect 3+ years of wandering in the desert. The next 2 Drafts will define Brian’s Time in GB.

Now I don’t think Brian is flaky or anything finding talent, but he needs significant draft resources to do his job or he’ll soon be under serious scrutiny from fans just like yourself and I might join in!

Lastly, I’ll sound like a broken record but for good reason. TWO earlier 2nd Rounders from NY (or equivalent) is the minimum we can take unless we get a Day 1 this season OR next to give us a fighting chance. I’ll leave it to the experts to hash that out, but that’s my novice opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Well there’s only maybe a few Safeties I would feel comfortable starting week 1 and they’ll be gone in that top 100 players area. So for myself, much of the solution to that dilemma depends on our trade deal with NY and that’s why this trade that some are making light of is no joke (not saying you says that)

In my opinion the Packers need to draft a safety capable of starting in week 1 no matter the compensation they receive from the Jets in a trade for Rodgers. I wouldn't feel comfortable entering the season with Moore and Savage starting.

Reaction score
In my opinion the Packers need to draft a safety capable of starting in week 1 no matter the compensation they receive from the Jets in a trade for Rodgers. I wouldn't feel comfortable entering the season with Moore and Savage starting.
Unfortunately this draft is not populated with Starting caliber Safeties that I feel would be better options. I wouldn’t box myself in and rely on that.
So I respectfully hard disagree 100%
Any trade capital could be imperative to open the totality of our options for landing a Safety. Relying on a rookie Safety to start is risky and we might look at an exchange of draft capital for a veteran player (at some juncture either this draft or post draft) or we could just sign a low priced, veteran Safety

Not even to mention that if we don’t include the Jets trade compensation? We’d taking our chances at a key position that’s thin in the draft AND we’d be simultaneously ignoring another position of need that’s thick with talent in areas we’d be selecting TE, Edge, DT or WR. We couldn’t even get a decent Safety in Day1 with Savage, what makes you think we’ll get one in this cluster?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think fans need to understand what time it is.

This is no longer a team in the waning days of a Super Bowl window hunting that final missing piece.

I’m not saying the Packers can’t compete, because if Love is good then they can. But the team is much more in a reset phase.

The goal should be getting the pieces around Love that will allow the organization to get a real assessment of him. The worst case scenario is that they get to the end of the year and have no idea if he can play or not.

If they do that and the safety position is poor, who really cares? It’s not like Barry is inspiring a lot of confidence that he can make those investments pay off.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think fans need to understand what time it is.

This is no longer a team in the waning days of a Super Bowl window hunting that final missing piece.

I’m not saying the Packers can’t compete, because if Love is good then they can. But the team is much more in a reset phase.

The goal should be getting the pieces around Love that will allow the organization to get a real assessment of him. The worst case scenario is that they get to the end of the year and have no idea if he can play or not.

If they do that and the safety position is poor, who really cares? It’s not like Barry is inspiring a lot of confidence that he can make those investments pay off.
Makes a lot of sense

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worst case scenario is that they get to the end of the year and have no idea if he can play or not.
The Packers WILL be using the 5th year option on Love by May 1 at $20mil for '24. They have 2 years to see what Love can do, but IMHO it won't take nearly that long to see that he's GB's future stud.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts