Prioritizing Needs

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if the Packers still plan to potentially bring in more help along the defensive line via free agency (e.g. Matt Ioannidis, A'Shawn Robinson, Chris Wormley), but if they don't plan to or can't (or if they do, but it's a really modest investment), DL is a big priority in this draft.

They're going to need a lot of rookie snaps AND the talent in this class dries up really fast.

Yup I only have three I’d be willing to risk a decent volume of snaps too (Carter/Bresee/Mazi)

Few others I like but wouldn’t want them operating as our third most DL snap guys at all First year

Reaction score
Yup I only have three I’d be willing to risk a decent volume of snaps too (Carter/Bresee/Mazi)

Few others I like but wouldn’t want them operating as our third most DL snap guys at all First year
My take is this is a trial by fire year. It’s about the only time in the last 30+ seasons we could afford to take chances.

I’d be ramping up the Rookies at a little faster pace in 2023. I’m ok with taking a step back, especially if we get into the season slow at a 2-6 record. A calculated push should be for 2024.

I also like the idea of a few early (smaller) trade backs to garner several extra top 150 selections. I’d ideally like to have about 12-14 total stabs at prospects in this draft with 8-9 top 150 area athletes,
6-7 Day 1-2 selections etc.

This is a season we can use to go for higher ceiling, less experienced/production players such as WR, Michael Wilson; TE, Luke Musgrave etc.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take is this is a trial by fire year. It’s about the only time in the last 30+ seasons we could afford to take chances.

I’d be ramping up the Rookies at a little faster pace in 2023. I’m ok with taking a step back, especially if we get into the season slow at a 2-6 record. A calculated push should be for 2024.

I also like the idea of a few early (smaller) trade backs to garner several extra top 150 selections. I’d ideally like to have about 12-14 total stabs at prospects in this draft with 8-9 top 150 area athletes,

This is a season we can use to go for higher ceiling, less experienced/production players such as WR, Michael Wilson; TE, Luke Musgrave etc.

Wilson is not low or less production IMO due to injury and offense he was in. Dude is good.

Musgrave similar story, Oregon State simply doesn’t ask their TE to produce yardage through the air - but I 100% get what your saying on the whole.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, hopefully Gute knows where the day 2 draft picks trees are.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to really like the idea of the Packers going with Rashee Rice in the second round. At receiver, he's strong as heck and has truly amazing body control. His speed isn't elite (4.51 40) but with his body control and lower body strength he's a load to bring down. He's a stronger version of Doubs and would be an amazing complement for Watson on the field. His issues tend to be concentration and in the NFL he'll needs to improve his ability to avoid corners jamming him, but his explosiveness in his lower body, insane body control, and elite ball skills indicate he could be an absolute star receiver in the intermediate game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to really like the idea of the Packers going with Rashee Rice in the second round. At receiver, he's strong as heck and has truly amazing body control. His speed isn't elite (4.51 40) but with his body control and lower body strength he's a load to bring down. He's a stronger version of Doubs and would be an amazing complement for Watson on the field. His issues tend to be concentration and in the NFL he'll needs to improve his ability to avoid corners jamming him, but his explosiveness in his lower body, insane body control, and elite ball skills indicate he could be an absolute star receiver in the intermediate game.

You know as well as anyone I've banged the Rice drum for a while now and I've went as far as saying if you actually made Jalin Hyatt have a body bigger than a playing card wide - his name is Rashee Rice actually. Rice is absolutely just as quick and explosive as Hyatt...Hyatt only beats Rice in long speed, which for a guy that will work in the middle/slot and intermediate routes in all likelihood - not too mention I fully expect MLF system to go back to quick shots out of Love's hand with deep shots going to Watson more when done...

Seriously:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Rice offers a lot as a prospect, but he and Hyatt are apples and oranges.

The list of things that Hyatt does really well is short. But he’s very fast, has an explosive 2nd gear, he tracks the deep ball, and he can catch passes with his hands, even deep down the field. In other words, he can get vertical and his catch radius is bigger than your typical speedster. That skill set is narrow, but it’s also very impactful.

Rice’s game is very different. Again, he offers a lot of pluses. But they’re aren’t similar.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rice offers a lot as a prospect, but he and Hyatt are apples and oranges.

The list of things that Hyatt does really well is short. But he’s very fast, has an explosive 2nd gear, he tracks the deep ball, and he can catch passes with his hands, even deep down the field. In other words, he can get vertical and his catch radius is bigger than your typical speedster. That skill set is narrow, but it’s also very impactful.

Rice’s game is very different. Again, he offers a lot of pluses. But they’re aren’t similar.

Yeah, I don't know that anyone was saying they were the same (at least I know I wasn't). I look at Rice as someone that can run the intermediate stuff that a deep threat like Watson will open up while Hyatt is basically the deep threat version of Watson. I prefer Rice because he'd be much more complementary when Watson is on the field, though Hyatt would be a nice safety option in case Watson is out (the Packers offense was constipated last year when Watson was out and I don't see anyone on the team right now that would fix that).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't agree. Rice in 2021 season illustrated a ton of work in the slot and more in the vein of what folks envision Hyatt bringing to the table. I'm not declaring Rice better than Hyatt, I personally just see them equivalents - I know we disagree which rare.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know that anyone was saying they were the same (at least I know I wasn't). I look at Rice as someone that can run the intermediate stuff that a deep threat like Watson will open up while Hyatt is basically the deep threat version of Watson. I prefer Rice because he'd be much more complementary when Watson is on the field, though Hyatt would be a nice safety option in case Watson is out (the Packers offense was constipated last year when Watson was out and I don't see anyone on the team right now that would fix that).

Tyni was-- hence, the response.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I just don't agree. Rice in 2021 season illustrated a ton of work in the slot and more in the vein of what folks envision Hyatt bringing to the table. I'm not declaring Rice better than Hyatt, I personally just see them equivalents - I know we disagree which rare.

Yeah, we absolutely do. Rice is a good player. If he has his head screwed on straight, he could be a great Packer. But he is nothing like Hyatt, stylistically.

Reaction score
The positions I have with LEAST need are:

1. OG. We’ve invested multiple Day 3 selections at OL and the majority of them either have Guard experience or could translate. I’m not saying we don’t need better play, but we should be seeing some risers this year with lots of 2nd and 3rd year players.

2. iLB. We have parted ways with Krys Barnes. Who at one time was a starter. Mainly a good ST player, he was our logical #3 LB. I’m guessing the emergence of McDuffie last season made Barnes somewhat expendable. Also we resigned former Viking LB, Eric Wilson. The only thing we might see is a later Round selection that could spell a ST addition in the meantime.

3. Punter. Pat O’Donnell is very likely here for another season (under contract)

4. CB. I put Corner on the list because we have Stokes returning and we still have J’aire, Rasul and Keisean Nixon is a lock. Our former 5th Rounder, Shemar Jean-Charles, who they converted from boundary in College to the Slot was a project his rookie season and then had an injury riddled Sophomore season. Year 3 is where you’d like to get a better look at where his development is taking him. Then Innes Gaines is 2 years in this system and Corey Ballentine signed a month ago. It’s a crowded room, but as with all positions we always are looking for an upgrade and the next “Keisean Nixon” Diamond in the rough.

5.OC. I’ve seen talk about upgrading Josh Myers because he’s been inconsistent and had injuries. However we just spent a #62 overall on him and he’s got 2 years of rookie contract left. Additionally we have Hanson, who’s a dedicated Center. We also have several other players with Center experience, including Zach Tom. It’s just not close to a primary need imo, possibly a Day3 venture for good upside here.

D

Deleted member 6794

OC. I’ve seen talk about upgrading Josh Myers because he’s been inconsistent and had injuries. However we just spent a #62 overall on him and he’s got 2 years of rookie contract left. Additionally we have Hanson, who’s a dedicated Center. We also have several other players with Center experience, including Zach Tom. It’s just not close to a primary need imo, possibly a Day3 venture for good upside here.

Mostly agree with your post but I wouldn't feel comfortable about Hanson starting at any spot on the line.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still put OL near the top, from center on our to RT, any or all could use an upgrade. At least 1 of them needs to be a quality starter, not just a guy who happens to start. We need better. For the past 4 years, anytime we've gotten against a good DL, we get destroyed up front and after Jenkins and David came back it's mostly been from the middle and right.

With a young QB and young weapons, it starts up front. We couldn't protect the old guy very well at times, but he could beat you before the snap enough we'd still win some games. It's not going to work until the new guy gets up to speed, and that's going to take some time.

So if we want him to have success, we need to give him time. Yes, we've invested quite a few picks at Oline, but IMO, hardly any of them are worth a crap so far. We have some guys that are serviceable, and a bunch that are too big of liabilities to be counted. More than a handful of times per game, they've proven they can't even be relied upon to stand in the way.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still put OL near the top, from center on our to RT, any or all could use an upgrade. At least 1 of them needs to be a quality starter, not just a guy who happens to start. We need better. For the past 4 years, anytime we've gotten against a good DL, we get destroyed up front and after Jenkins and David came back it's mostly been from the middle and right.

With a young QB and young weapons, it starts up front. We couldn't protect the old guy very well at times, but he could beat you before the snap enough we'd still win some games. It's not going to work until the new guy gets up to speed, and that's going to take some time.

So if we want him to have success, we need to give him time. Yes, we've invested quite a few picks at Oline, but IMO, hardly any of them are worth a crap so far. We have some guys that are serviceable, and a bunch that are too big of liabilities to be counted. More than a handful of times per game, they've proven they can't even be relied upon to stand in the way.
And a bonafide run game will help Love as much as good protection. The play action will then be effective.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where did the GB OL finish last season in the rankings?
wherever it was, I'd still maintain it was inflated due to who was behind the center diagnosing plays early and adjusting and though he can not run like he could, he can still manipulate that pocket better than most with ducking in and out helping his blockers keep leverage and position.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BUt overall, this team has holes. If we get a 10 year real deal starter in the 1st round, I don't care if it's OL, any position, TE, WR, Edge, DL, Safety or DB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I'm thinking we'll be closer to 6-2 than 2-6 after the first 8. This is gonna be a very high energy team imo.

Reaction score
I'm thinking we'll be closer to 6-2 than 2-6 after the first 8. This is gonna be a very high energy team imo.
It’s a little optimistic though for a year 1 starter and keep in mind Rodgers Won 6 contests in his first starting season. However I hope you are correct.

Even I would be somewhat cautious expecting a 6-2 start with Love.
If we do that? We’re in for a real treat for the next 10+ seasons.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s a little optimistic though for a year 1 starter and keep in mind Rodgers Won 6 contests in his first starting season. However I hope you are correct.

Even I would be somewhat cautious expecting a 6-2 start with Love.
If we do that? We’re in for a real treat for the next 10+ seasons.
I said closer, which essentially means 5-3.

Reaction score
I said closer, which essentially means 5-3.
For me Wins are key, but in the Jordan debate I’ll also to follow his
TD-INT line closely and Points/GM.

If he can get in that 23+ points per game area (league average area) early in? I’m excited as it should get progressively better once he’s warmed up.

Rodgers started in 2008 @
26.2 ppg
28.8 ppg
24.3 ppg (oddly won a SB here)
35.0 ppg (oddly lost Divisional here)
27.1 ppg

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
For me Wins are key, but in the Jordan debate I’ll also to follow his
TD-INT line closely and Points/GM.

If he can get in that 23+ points per game area (league average area) early in? I’m excited as it should get progressively better once he’s warmed up.

Rodgers started in 2008 @
26.2 ppg
28.8 ppg
24.3 ppg (oddly won a SB here)
35.0 ppg (oddly lost Divisional here)
27.1 ppg
For me personally, I'm more interested in points per possession. If that's a decent number in comparison to the rest of the league I'll be good with that. Hate to see offense go 3 and out a lot. Bad for the defense, bad for the team.

Reaction score
For me personally, I'm more interested in points per possession. If that's a decent number in comparison to the rest of the league I'll be good with that. Hate to see offense go 3 and out a lot. Bad for the defense, bad for the team.
They can go 3 and out on all but 5 drives each contest, as long as we average 35.0 per game on Offense idc :laugh:

D

Deleted member 6794

And a bonafide run game will help Love as much as good protection. The play action will then be effective.

Well, teams need a good offensive line to excel running the ball as well.

I definitely expect the Packers to be closer to 2-6 after the first eight games. They will lack talent compared to most other teams entering this season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts