Prioritizing Needs

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the answer is because most teams only play one LT at a time.
Not to be overly argumentative, but I let out a laugh when I read this. How many Centers play at one time? ;)

I read (somewhere, can't find it now) that MLF considers Tom one of the 5 best OL's right now and that he needs to start, somewhere. Think they'll move him around in camp to find his best shot at starting.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ridiculous to you, but I expressed more why I think at this moment I feel that, I don’t think Jenkins was same post injury but I expect we may see the better version now further removed.

Tom didn't even start aside of when injuries forced the Packers to play him. Therefore I highly doubt anyone would agree with him being their second best lineman.

But not ridiculous to say he looks like a better tackle.

Jenkins played much better at tackle before being injured than Tom did last season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom didn't even start aside of when injuries forced the Packers to play him. Therefore I highly doubt anyone would agree with him being their second best lineman.

Jenkins played much better at tackle before being injured than Tom did last season.

I’m good with being on a mountain alone for this one - again though as I said the injury is the only reason I say this, and fully expect a fully recovered Jenkins to quickly be our second best this coming season I hope.

Reaction score
I would say that TE and WR are our biggest needs by far. Hopefully, we use our first and second round picks on both positions. This is a very good draft for Tight Ends.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that TE and WR are our biggest needs by far. Hopefully, we use our first and second round picks on both positions. This is a very good draft for Tight Ends.

This is gonna come from a guy massively high on this TE class, and someone that back before college season even started was banging the Mayer drum for us so this isn't a knock on doing it BUT

This draft's strong TE class is why the smartest thing to do may very well be to not use a first round pick on such a high draft pick as a first or arguably even a second. TE positionally is just not something I think a smart GM does at 15 unless they know they've got a Tony Gonzo or Gronk or generational level type guy. I see six guys that I strongly feel can start for GB in year one with zero hesitation (Mayer, Washington, Kincaid, Musgrave, LaPorta, Kraft)....and another half dozen that if we can bring back Lewis or add a vet FA could be our TE2 I feel out the gate (Allen, Kuntz, Schoonmaker, Whyle, Durham, Latu or Mallory).

This draft class early in the top half of the first round is VERY DEFENSIVELY strong or OT strong. The more I review the landscape of the draft I more and more want a defensive stud prospect or a OT of our multi contract future - or trade back deeper into the first and pick up picks and there justifiably grab a TE or a WR (although I just don't see first round pure prospects at that position - despite it being very deep class too).

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is gonna come from a guy massively high on this TE class, and someone that back before college season even started was banging the Mayer drum for us so this isn't a knock on doing it BUT

This draft's strong TE class is why the smartest thing to do may very well be to not use a first round pick on such a high draft pick as a first or arguably even a second. TE positionally is just not something I think a smart GM does at 15 unless they know they've got a Tony Gonzo or Gronk or generational level type guy. I see six guys that I strongly feel can start for GB in year one with zero hesitation (Mayer, Washington, Kincaid, Musgrave, LaPorta, Kraft)....and another half dozen that if we can bring back Lewis or add a vet FA could be our TE2 I feel out the gate (Allen, Kuntz, Schoonmaker, Whyle, Durham, Latu or Mallory).

This draft class early in the top half of the first round is VERY DEFENSIVELY strong or OT strong. The more I review the landscape of the draft I more and more want a defensive stud prospect or a OT of our multi contract future - or trade back deeper into the first and pick up picks and there justifiably grab a TE or a WR (although I just don't see first round pure prospects at that position - despite it being very deep class too).
I agree with this to a point and it's one of the reasons I don't think we need a top edge player early either. There are certain people at both edge and tight end that I would prefer and if things fall the way we want, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. It's almost more important for us to get safety early or versatile OT/OG.

All that being said, I really want us to get one of those 6 that you mentioned at tight end. It's going to hurt not to see one on our team. Kuntz is a gym stud and has a ton of potential, but I don't want to end up with another Sternberger. Whyle is interesting later, but the rest are lumbering guys that might help, but are more role players. We need a play maker or strong contributor.

Reaction score

Normally, I might agree with you (and I do if you are talking about a blocking tight end), but we really need pass catchers as well as playmakers because we need to get Jordan Love off to a good start and our cupboard is bare when it comes to pass catchers (except for Watson and Doubs who are rookies).

Tight ends are really important for the type of offense we want to run. Also, most Super Bowl contenders have an elite TE, although I do agree finding an elite TE is difficult (but if you are ever going to find one, your chances are higher in this year's draft).

If we don't select a tight end in the first round, I think we definitely need to select a WR. the first round. I think we need to either select at least two WR's. with our first and second round draft picks or a WR. and a TE.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Normally, I might agree with you (and I do if you are talking about a blocking tight end), but we really need pass catchers as well as playmakers because we need to get Jordan Love off to a good start and our cupboard is bare when it comes to pass catchers (except for Watson and Doubs who are rookies).

Tight ends are really important for the type of offense we want to run. Also, most Super Bowl contenders have an elite TE, although I do agree finding an elite TE is difficult (but if you are ever going to find one, your chances are higher in this year's draft).

If we don't select a tight end in the first round, I think we definitely need to select a WR. the first round. I think we need to either select at least two WR's. with our first and second round draft picks or a WR. and a TE.

To me however that is vastly too cornered mindset to take into a draft, it leads you to reaching for a position instead of a prospect. I absolutely love some of these TEs but there is rarely a scenario I can envision where I can say at fifteen and the fact four QBs most likely will be in the picks ahead that there isn’t a small handful of prospects immensely better than the best available TE at that point (which is likely to be first one off board if we took one).

Reaction score
To me however that is vastly too cornered mindset to take into a draft, it leads you to reaching for a position instead of a prospect. I absolutely love some of these TEs but there is rarely a scenario I can envision where I can say at fifteen and the fact four QBs most likely will be in the picks ahead that there isn’t a small handful of prospects immensely better than the best available TE at that point (which is likely to be first one off board if we took one).
I guess it comes down to whether you think you should draft based on positions of need or best player available.

I have seen fans debate between prospects based whether they fill a need or are the best player left in the draft.

My instinct says take the player who fills the position of need, but I honestly haven't heard the argument/advantages for taking the best player available.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tom did not allow sacks and from what I saw, did not need help.

According to PFF Tom allowed a sack against the Bills. In addition he mostly struggled blocking for the run.

I’m good with being on a mountain alone for this one - again though as I said the injury is the only reason I say this, and fully expect a fully recovered Jenkins to quickly be our second best this coming season I hope.

In my opinion not a lot of people would agree that Tom is the third best lineman on the roster either.

I guess it comes down to whether you think you should draft based on positions of need or best player available.

I have seen fans debate between prospects based whether they fill a need or are the best player left in the draft.

My instinct says take the player who fills the position of need, but I honestly haven't heard the argument/advantages for taking the best player available.

I prefer taking the prospect presented the best value with position of need factoring into it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion not a lot of people would agree that Tom is the third best lineman on the roster either.

Wouldn't shock me one bit. Unlike many that live on the forum merely to diminish other's takes but never have them themselves, I'm willing to express thoughts and take the disagreements - I embrace it.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Umm, because he's the best player available.

Reaction score
Tom did not allow sacks and from what I saw, did not need help.
According to the Jets logic. Tom is worth much more than all the others combined because even though he is a relative unknown, we are sorta sure he won’t retire next year ;)

Seriously though he was a good selection. How many guys come right in Rookie season spot duty and excel. If he follows another earlier contributor, Corey Linsleys path? we’re in for a treat

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to the Jets logic. Tom is worth much more than all the others combined because even though he is a relative unknown, we are sorta sure he won’t retire next year ;)

Seriously though he was a good selection. How many guys come right in Rookie season spot duty and excel. If he follows another earlier contributor, Corey Linsleys path? we’re in for a treat

Most recent example I'd say is Jenkins given also OL

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Edge, TE, WR, OL, Safety in that order.

Edge is obvious, the Packers don't have a decent TE on the roster, the WR room is extremely shallow and a good receiving corps is a young QBs best friend, the OL has depth at tackle but guard/center could use improvement, and as for safety, well, I think that is also obvious.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Edge is obvious, the Packers don't have a decent TE on the roster, the WR room is extremely shallow and a good receiving corps is a young QBs best friend, the OL has depth at tackle but guard/center could use improvement, and as for safety, well, I think that is also obvious.

To be fair Safety was bandaged up a little bit with both Moore and Ford agreed to now. I still envision a CB drafted and Rasul or Nixon moved or we draft a safety as well though.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I think that iDL is right up there with edge at the moment.

Reaction score
Adebawore.

Sorry I just think he’s a super athlete and he’s position versatile. I think he could be used as a rotational Edge OR moved inside. I don’t think he’ll last until our Round 4 though.

I like Van Ness in Round 2 or if not, Adebawore in Round 3

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Adebawore.

Sorry I just think he’s a super athlete and he’s position versatile. I think he could be used as a rotational Edge OR moved inside. I don’t think he’ll last until our Round 4 though.

I like Van Ness in Round 2 or if not, Adebawore in Round 3

I think the problem with him as an interior guy is that the snaps he could give you are probably very particular. You’d have to use him as a sub rusher but if you needed interior help on a typical down, I don’t think he would be usable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the problem with him as an interior guy is that the snaps he could give you are probably very particular. You’d have to use him as a sub rusher but if you needed interior help on a typical down, I don’t think he would be usable.

Yup and he and Kancey are going to be excellent in passing downs or light packages for sure.

Reaction score
I think the problem with him as an interior guy is that the snaps he could give you
interesting. The last 2 Scouting reports I read said exactly the opposite. They inferred he would transition perfectly inside to 3T at the NFL level and he was NOT a natural outside bender. I know I know that sounds just crazy, but I’m not the scouts that are claiming that so blame them. You can clearly see he’s not your typical 283lb guy. He’s that top 3% anomaly in the mold of a poor man’s Aaron Donald right now. A little weaker up top than Aaron, a little faster underneath. He’s a Very rare coin, take a closer look.

My guess is he’ll be gone earlier Day 2 in that top 50-75 range so I probably just get to dream. Too early to take a chance Round 2, likely long gone by Mid 3rd

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts