Preseason game 3 - at Denver

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I want to see ...
Janis and McCaffrey get a series with Aaron to see if they can be able if called upon. We know what Jordy, Davante, and Cobb can do.
The starting OL to run a few series with Hundley to let him have time. And also for them to work on the running game a bit.
Defense to continue their strong stand against the run.
Somebody to step up in the defensive backfield. Grab the job time.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see Hawkins, wr Clark, and price. I have heard Hawkins is doing great, and he has flown under my radar. Clark needs to set himself in position to make the team with a big play or two. I read price was forcing the double team last week... that's huge.

I also want to see Hundley have a big game.
I have no problem with the running game being an after thought. Monty will be dangerous in the open field.

I'm so stoked for the season to start.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see one or two good drives with the offense. See what Aaron can do against a good D with his new weapons. I will be at this game so hopefully I get to see some good stuff from this team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Monty and Williams to show some production

I want to see what our rookie running backs can offer, and I want to see Montgomery excel at blitz pickup and providing Rodgers with an outlet.

It's entirely possible the Packers will hold Montgonery out of the game at Denver as the high altitude might cause serious troubles with his sickle cell trait.

btw, hurt or just resting? where did you see this?

Elliott dropped out of yesterday's practice because he reaggravated his back injury.

Most injury prone franchise in football. The End

Here we go again, the Packers haven't lost any significant player for the season yet but there are already fans complaining about the team being injury prone. :rolleyes:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I guess now I'll be looking closely at Murphy playing RT. Of course a new starter is going to have some bumps in the road, but it would not surprise me if he is the long term answer at RT. He fell to the 6th after being injured, but most analysis of him pre-draft figured he was a starting caliber prospect.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess now I'll be looking closely at Murphy playing RT. Of course a new starter is going to have some bumps in the road, but it would not surprise me if he is the long term answer at RT. He fell to the 6th after being injured, but most analysis of him pre-draft figured he was a starting caliber prospect.
I'll be watching, but i'm not rushing to any judgments. last year he looked as terrible as Spriggs has this year. in the little i've seen Spriggs, he's clearly regressed. I don't know why, but he certainly hasn't jumped like people thought he would. all offseason i heard about how much bigger he was and how excited everyone was to get him back on the field. Maybe he's thinking too much, and without being removed for an injury, all I can think of is that he's having a mental issue somewhere with his game. He got to play last year and he seemed to have a rough couple plays and then settle in and did ok. that hasnt' been the case so far this year.

Whoever steps up, we need them. back up OL needs to be able to step in and have us not even notice.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With most of the starting positions somewhat figured out, I want to see some second tiered guys step up their games and shine so that we know we have the always needed depth. On offense the OL and RB's. On defense.....well pretty much everyone, I'm not very confident we have much quality depth on defense, except maybe at safety. 40 or so guys are feeling the heat of making that final 53 and these next 2 games they all better leave whatever they got on the field.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'll be watching, but i'm not rushing to any judgments. last year he looked as terrible as Spriggs has this year. in the little i've seen Spriggs, he's clearly regressed. I don't know why, but he certainly hasn't jumped like people thought he would. all offseason i heard about how much bigger he was and how excited everyone was to get him back on the field. Maybe he's thinking too much, and without being removed for an injury, all I can think of is that he's having a mental issue somewhere with his game. He got to play last year and he seemed to have a rough couple plays and then settle in and did ok. that hasnt' been the case so far this year.

Whoever steps up, we need them. back up OL needs to be able to step in and have us not even notice.

Spriggs had a swinging gate coming out of college. He was athletic as all get out, but he didn't have the ability to bar power players from countering inside. He hasn't fixed that issue, as Derek Barnett pointed out to us. My observation is that when tackles have a glaring hole in their game like that, they play nervous and frenetic, which is is how I would characterize Spriggs' play.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree, which is why they were hyping how much more physically imposing he looked coming into this season. it hasn't translated. I've only seen him in the first preseason game, it wasn't pretty.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe it's the face paint and the shaved head, but Spriggs looks far bigger and more intimidating here. Still wondering if he gave up part of his "nutrition" regiment between college and the NFL.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That picture makes him look bigger because of the guy behind him. It makes his shoulders and leg look huge.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jon Michels redux?

Tony Mandarich came to my mind.

I hate even throwing that idea out there, but I haven't heard of Spriggs suffering any kind of injuries, which usually is the other reason for regression or at least what tends to be used when discussing other 2nd or 3rd year players that seem to have gone backwards in their progress.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's entirely possible the Packers will hold Montgonery out of the game at Denver as the high altitude might cause serious troubles with his sickle cell trait.

Elliott dropped out of yesterday's practice because he reaggravated his back injury.

Here we go again, the Packers haven't lost any significant player for the season yet but there are already fans complaining about the team being injury prone. :rolleyes:

You can't believe that. The fact that you said YET is enough in itself.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jon Michels redux?

John Michels also suffered 2 major knee injuries, on the same knee early on in his career with the Packers. A knee which has required 8 surgeries since. So kind of like Derek Sherrod, injuries not lack of talent is more likely to explain those picks not working out as planned.

Sky King

Reaction score
Tony Mandarich came to my mind.

I hate even throwing that idea out there, but I haven't heard of Spriggs suffering any kind of injuries, which usually is the other reason for regression or at least what tends to be used when discussing other 2nd or 3rd year players that seem to have gone backwards in their progress.
Per an article at the JSOnline this past week, Bakhtiari and some others are not concerned about Spriggs. I sure hope they're right.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Per an article at the JSOnline this past week, Bakhtiari and some others are not concerned about Spriggs. I sure hope they're right.

As do I. I know some people want to interpret my ramblings about Spriggs and Janis as someone who wants them to fail. However, I would love nothing more than if both turn into Pro Bowl players. But we wouldn't be fans if we didn't discuss the reality of the paths players have taken to get from point A to point Z and how that as a whole relates to the entire organization.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here are some Murphy blurbs from the pre draft process, just to refresh everyone's memories.

Lance Zierlein:

Interesting prospect full of juxtapositions. On one hand, he?s an athletic mover in space, but his foot quickness is just average. While he plays with good bend, leg drive and low pad level as a run blocker, he tends to play too tall and lose his anchor against bull rushers. Murphy plays with good tackle instincts and shows enough potential to become an eventual starter in the NFL if he can improve his overall strength and tighten up some of his pass protection flaws.

PFF:

After the top tier of tackles in this class no one has a higher floor than Murphy. He definitely needs to get stronger, but he’ll be a starter in the NFL.

Sky King

Reaction score
John Michels also suffered 2 major knee injuries, on the same knee early on in his career with the Packers. A knee which has required 8 surgeries since. So kind of like Derek Sherrod, injuries not lack of talent is more likely to explain those picks not working out as planned.
Both Michels and Spriggs were/are a little light in the saddle.
As do I. I know some people want to interpret my ramblings about Spriggs and Janis as someone who wants them to fail. However, I would love nothing more than if both turn into Pro Bowl players. But we wouldn't be fans if we didn't discuss the reality of the paths players have taken to get from point A to point Z and how that as a whole relates to the entire organization.
Shoot! You and I are in agreement on most issues and we're also not above a little friendly sparring from time to time. Not everyone understands that I guess.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Given Campen's track record with developing guys, I am not ultra concerned about the long term state of the OL. But the loss of Sitton, Lang and Tretter in a 7 month time span has sure turned up the heat on Campen to get some of these guys up to speed fast. Having Taylor step up at LG and the signing of Evans has helped. But as things stand right now, any kind of injuries to 2 or more starters on the OL could be really tough to cover. After the final cutdowns, I won't be surprised to see TT and the Packers try to improve their depth and bring in another team's roster cut. Unless that is, in the next 2 games a few of the reserves step up.