Premium Members CHAT w/ Rob

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay guys, since I do have a premium login for PackersNews, I thought I would share this transcript with ya, while it's fresh.... Enjoy!

IPBprez

Chat with Rob Demovsky

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good evening everyone. Let's get started.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve, West Des Moines:
Rob, with both guards gone consensus of Pete D's chatters seems to be to draft a guy and plug him in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Grey Reugamer play both center and guard? If so, why wouldn't he be in the mix? He's been a journeyman but one whp's seen the field enough that he's probably a better stop gap than all but a blue-chip rookie would be. What do you think of a starting five of Tauscher, Barry, Flanagan, Reugamer, Clifton?

Rob Demovsky:
Steve -- You're not wrong, Ruegamer can play guard and center, but he's no longer on the team. Ruegamer was released last week the same day Mike Wahle was. I can tell you from talking to a couple of Packers' people that they felt Ruegamer's play was only average down the stretch last season. They liked the rookie, Scott Wells, just as well but the coaches went with Ruegamer simply because of experience. The guess here is they'll bring Kevin Barry back and he'll either play right guard or right tackle. If he plays right tackle, then Tauscher will move to guard. As for the left guard spot, they could play Flanagan or Wells there, whichever one doesn't play center. Or they could sign a mid-level free agent for that spot or possibly get a starter through the draft, although that seems the least likely.

Kimberly, sheboygan, Wi:
Have you heard if the Packers will be resigning Aaron Kampmann?

Rob Demovsky:
Kimberly-- The Packers put the lowest of the three restricted free agent tenders on Kampman, which means another team could sign him and would only owe the Packers' a fifth-round pick (the round in which Kampman was drafted). However, the Packers would have the option to match any contract offer made by another team and unless it was a ridiculously high offer, chances are they would match it.

Ron, Co:
Rob any chance either roman or sharper are gonna be starters at safety or both gone?

Rob Demovsky:
Ron-- At this point, I can't imagine it. Roman would have to greatly improve his play from last season. He struggled so badly that the coaches wouldn't even play him in the dime defense. As for Sharper, there's no indication he's willing to take a pay cut. His release appears imminent. There's a strong chance the Packers would have two new starting safeties next season.

JJ, Eestland, Mi:
Freeman & Knight - both (I think) 28, and both released from the Fins, both know Jim B well, and (Sharper's released) we'll need some help - your thoughts...

Rob Demovsky:
J.J. -- If you watch personnel moves in the NFL closely, there's no question players tend to follow coaches around the league. What isn't known is how Jim Bates feels about both of those safeties. Also, from what we know of new GM Ted Thompson, he's not likely to spend much money on free agents. So unless they come cheap, it's a long shot.

Andy, Hastings, MN:
Hi Rob- You're probably waiting for someone to ask you a free agency question, so here goes... Are we even talking with anyone? Peter King says it's ridiculous that no one has gone after Najeh yet, I wish he'd shut up. But if we're going to lose him, which sounds likely, why aren't we trying to trade him instead of getting the fourth rounder that will come if he leaves? Toss us a bone, man! We need more off-season gossip, other than 'Packers lose another player'.... We're losing the wrong ones.

Rob Demovsky:
Andy-- Remember, Peter King was the guy who last year who wrote that Davenport would be a 1,000-yard rusher if it wasn't for Ahman Green. That's probably why King thinks it's ridiculous that no one has gone after him. I trust GMs before King on this one. King is a heckuva pro football reporter because he's incredibly well connected, but I think he was wrong on that one. Davenport can't stay healthy long enough to be a 1,000-yard rusher. At least he hasn't yet. I'm not sure you could get much more than a fourth rounder for Davenport in a trade. Last summer, Miami offered a third-round pick but the Packers thought he was worth a second. Maybe they should have taken the third rounder.

Ron, Co:
Rob unless this team drafts really well this year and gets really lucky with younger players stepping up..this team is gonna be terrible..probably worse than the last 2 fluky playoff teams...your thoughts?

Rob Demovsky:
Ron-- Drafting well is always important. That's where your depth comes from. But there are so many factors that go into whether a team is good and makes the playoffs or bombs out that to say this team is going to be terrible if they don't have a great draft is a stretch. If Favre comes back, the offense should top-10 again. That's probably enough to go 9-7 or 10-6.

Brandt, Indy:
Hi Rob, Do you know how much dead money for Johnson and Reynolds and others, the Packers have against the cap right now, and when will they be able to get that off the books?

Rob Demovsky:
Brandt-- I think I had this question in my last chat. Let me go back in the archive to find what I wrote (that's quicker than doing all the math, for me at least)... Yes, here it is: Sam from Dallas, Texas, asked basically the same thing last month. Johnson will count $3.25 million on the 2005 cap. I'm still not 100 percent sure about Reynolds because there were some complications about when he was released by Cleveland. If he counts anything this year, it would be $1.3 million.

Ron, Co:
Hey Rob, how is bates defense gonna be different than slowiks? and do you think they'll be any better with the same crappy little cornerback(Ahmad Too Short) Carroll? If im Thompson i draft at least one more big corner...all the Packers have on their roster...besides Harris... are projects and the receivers keep getting taller especially in our division....but..our corners keep getting smaller?

Rob Demovsky:
Ron-- I think corner is probably the one spot on defense where they won't draft (at least in the first four or five rounds). They simply have too many other needs. They're going to have to develop Carroll and Joey Thomas. That's up the coaches now. They can't afford to use another high pick on a corner even if it was a mistake taking Carroll. I suspect Bates will try to run the same kind of defense he did in Miami. As for how it compares to Slowik's defense, I'm not sure what Slowik's defense was. It started out as a blitzing scheme and ended up being a defense that tried to bend but not break, but it broke more than it bent.

Bill Casper, Sarasota,FL:
Good Evening,Rob; With the Packers making salary cap room, and with more room likely to come with Sharpers likely release, who do you see them focusing in on in free agency? It's clear they can't fill all of their "holes' from the draft...even if they hit on each pick?

Rob Demovsky:
Sorry for the delay. We had some technical problems. Hopefully we've got it all sorted out. ... Back to Bill's question. They could try to find a low- or mid-level free agent guard, linebacker or safety, but it won't be a high-priced guy. It will be another Mark Roman or Hannibal Navies type of signing. Ted Thompson is a cautious guy and that probably carries over to free agency as well. They might have to fill most of their holes in draft.

Ron, Co:
Rob when i saw sherman at the combine i was thinking whys he there....his project players have been too hit and miss....how much influence will he have on who the packers draft...and is thompson really gonna take a player based on what shermansees afterall there are way too many project players on the packers roster right now?

Rob Demovsky:
Ron-- He's there because every coach and scout in the league goes there. It's sort of an unofficial coaching convention. Also, whether you like it or not, Sherman's going to be in the draft room with Thompson. Those two are going to talk their way through picks. Sure, Thompson ultimately will have the final say, but considering he learned from Ron Wolf, I would bet he'd follow Wolf's way of never giving a coach a player he doesn't want.

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi:
I saw that Cosey Colemen is in for a vist do you think the Packers will be able to sign him?

Rob Demovsky:
Kimberly-- Coleman also visited or is scheduled to visit the Browns, so the Packers aren't the only team interested in his services. Like everything in free agency, it's going to depend on how much the Packers want to spend.

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi:
On Friday, when Brett is to be at the Fan fest and give his announcement, do you think he will say he is coming back, or retiring?

Rob Demovsky:
Kimberly-- I'm not 100 percent certain Favre will make his announcement at the Fan Fest, but that seems to be when everyone thinks he'll do it. Based on people I've talked to in the Packers' organization and the story we had a few weeks back quoting Brett's brother, Scott, I think he's going to come back.

STEVE, PENSACOLA, FL.:
Is TT just to cheap to sign anybody in free agency, or are we that financially strapped? Also do you see us going for Charlie Frye by round 2? Your thoughts?

Rob Demovsky:
Steve- You call it being cheap, but I'm sure Ted Thompson calls it being fiscally responsible or kind to the cap. Frye, the quarterback out of Akron, is an intriguing prospect. I've heard good things about him, but it's too early to say whether or not the Packers have targeted him in that round.

Steve, Pensacola, Fl.:
Do you think TT has something up his sleeve making Sherman wait on a Contract extension or do you think he has a canidate in mind, like say maybe Jeff Fisher? Just curious!

Rob Demovsky:
Steve-- I would say he wants to see Sherman with his own eyes before making up his mind. Why would he offer Sherman an extension now? There's no harm in waiting things out. This isn't like college where a coach's contract status impacts recruiting.

Rick, LIttle Valley, NY:
Rob, Any feeling on how Mike and TED are getting along? any contract talks?

Rob Demovsky:
Rick-- Steve asked basically the same thing. Again, I'd say it's too early to tell how they'll get along. The last thing that was reported from the combine was that there isn't likely to be any talks for another few months.

Steve, West Des Moines:
Rob, thanks for enlightening me on Reugamer. TT's lack of action on free agents has to be because there's no cap room. Sherman's $28 million investment in has-been never/were DLs, plus trading away all those picks, have the Pack really messed up. My question is, why couldn't Harlan see these warning signs sooner and intervene?

Rob Demovsky:
Steve-- There's no question the money handed out to Joe Johnson, Cletidus Hunt and KGB is handcuffing the Packers. Harlan was happy with the direction things were going until this year. Remember a year ago, the Packers were a 4th-and-26 play away from being in the NFC Championship game. It wasn't until the most recent season that it became completely evident things were crumbling.

PowerBall, Texas:
Robert- Is Thompson changing the entire mindset of how the Packers approach players. No more over paying a guy and the days of Antual Edward, Micheal Hawthorne players on the roster are over. It seems like a new way of doing business is taking over, and although it's subtle, it seems to be a drastic change from before. Thompson doesn't seem fazed by letting players go who don't fit his business model. From your vantage point up there, is there a noticeable attitude change with-in the Packer organization.

Rob Demovsky:
PowerBall-- Can't say how Thompson's actions are being interpreted by the players. They're off in their own little world during the offseason. So to say there's a tangible change in attitude would be false. But there is a change in philosophy, that's for sure.

Mad Dog, East Texas:
RD- I thought Wells was one of the steals of the draft last year. If Wells is to start, is he better built for playing center or guard. If Flanagan can pull so well with his speed, wouldn't he do a better job at guard, and can Barry play the other guard. I'd hate to see Tauscher move. It just seems we are set at Tackle. Is Barry built for the guard position in your opinion?

Rob Demovsky:
Mad Dog-- Wells' best position last season was center, but with time it's not impossible that he could play guard. However, given how versatile Flanagan is, he'd be more likely to move around than Wells. They just have to make sure Flanagan's knee is good to go before they can figure him into any plans. I don't know if Barry is athletic enough to play guard like Wahle or Rivera did. He's probably a better right tackle than guard.

===========================================

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB-thanks for posting. it's a good read.

has anyone else heard that brett will announce at the fan fest?

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the article,it was good and interesting. I have been on the sidelines last few day just reading everything,but had to tell you,that was good! :bow:

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well if brett is set to decide there, i think whoever goes should have the rest of the forum on like 250 way calling so we can all here the announcement live :D

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Brett decides to calm the fears of all Cheeseheads at that Event - trust me - It'll be carried LIVE on Sports radio and Sports Networks everywhere.... It won't take long!

I'm already on my third beer - got my feet up... - totally relaxed about the issue!

Geeez guys.... Calm down.....Doh!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
IF Brett decides to calm the fears of all Cheeseheads at that Event - trust me - It'll be carried LIVE on Sports radio and Sports Networks everywhere.... It won't take long!

I'm already on my third beer - got my feet up... - totally relaxed about the issue!

Geeez guys.... Calm down.....Doh!

This coming from a man who does not have any nails left on his hands or toes because of how much of a nervous wreck he is :) ... j/k

Yeah, I'm at the point where if he comes back, great, if not, I'm excited to see who we find to replace him and to see how the Packers fair.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm hopin for - is a possible video compilation of the Fan Fest for the rest of us to get our hands on..... I think it'd be a great way to either support the Player's Charities or assist with paying off the Lambeau upgrade build.... Help the Brown County residents get that tax burden off their backs!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. There were some interesting thoughts and comments. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

IU_packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the transcript, it answered a lot of questions, and I will be listening to ESPN radio here in Evansville to hear what happens on Friday

Members online

Latest posts