Post MM firing -- coaching search: who we want -- ALL threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love it if the Browns, which is the job that Arians wants, hire McCarthy, who replaces Kitchens with Philbin and the Packers end up with the Arians/Kitchens combo. That's my dream scenario at this point. Arians could keep Pettine or hire Todd Bowles to be DC... whatever he wants.

I'm not really familiar with the backgrounds of any of the other 7 HCs fired this year (not counting McCarthy) but you mentioning Bowles as DC got me thinking. Are there any of the 7 that you wouldn't mind seeing in a coordinator capacity. Obviously I'd want the new HC to pick the guy he wants but say he chose Bowlles as DC or Gase as OC (I think he had an offensive background if I am not mistaken) How would you all feel? We all know that some great coordinators are just not cut out to be head coaches. We already know that Pettine has said he has no interest in being a HC again and maybe some of these other guys realize that they are simply meant to be coordinators.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not really familiar with the backgrounds of any of the other 7 HCs fired this year (not counting McCarthy) but you mentioning Bowles as DC got me thinking. Are there any of the 7 that you wouldn't mind seeing in a coordinator capacity. Obviously I'd want the new HC to pick the guy he wants but say he chose Bowlles as DC or Gase as OC (I think he had an offensive background if I am not mistaken) How would you all feel? We all know that some great coordinators are just not cut out to be head coaches. We already know that Pettine has said he has no interest in being a HC again and maybe some of these other guys realize that they are simply meant to be coordinators.

Bowles (D), Gase (O), Koetter (O), Monken (O), and Joseph (D) would all seem like solid coordinator candidates to me.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There are currently 8 names out there for the Packers' search:
  • Jim Caldwell
  • Chuck Pagano
  • Josh McDaniels
  • Brian Flores
  • Dan Campbell
  • Mike Munchak
  • Matt LaFleur
  • Pat Fitzgerald
Campbell, LaFleur, and Munchak are the names I like best from that bunch. The reports have been that the Packers will likely interview 12-14 candidates, which means that 4-6 more names should emerge. I hope some of the following are included:
  • Bruce Arians
  • Jim Harbaugh
  • Dave Toub
  • Kris Richard
  • Eric Bieniemy
  • Freddie Kitchens

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are currently 8 names out there for the Packers' search:
  • Jim Caldwell
  • Chuck Pagano
  • Josh McDaniels
  • Brian Flores
  • Dan Campbell
  • Mike Munchak
  • Matt LaFleur
  • Pat Fitzgerald
Campbell, LaFleur, and Munchak are the names I like best from that bunch. The reports have been that the Packers will likely interview 12-14 candidates, which means that 4-6 more names should emerge. I hope some of the following are included:
  • Bruce Arians
  • Jim Harbaugh
  • Dave Toub
  • Kris Richard
  • Eric Bieniemy
  • Freddie Kitchens

LaFleur I could get with given some of the work he's done with QBs.

I don't know why Campbell is a serious consideration considering he went 5-7 as an interim HC, and if he gets hired he'll probably keep Philbin as well as god knows who else out of MM's bad assistants.

Don't like Munchak either, way too uninspiring and did very little as a HC.

Anyway, so while John Harbaugh hasn't officially inked a deal yet in Baltimore, one would suspect it will be done soon. Ron Rivera it appears is staying in Carolina so X his name off the list as is Quinn in Atlanta.

We wouldn't get the other Harbaugh here without giving him roster control, and that's not going to happen.

Here's a little bit of a wild and unconventional idea, but would you hire a special teams coordinator as head coach? If so, this guy might fit the bill

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches-roster/brant-boyer

Likely not but ... Damn after the garbage we've had to put up with under Zook that guy is quite a commodity

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
LaFleur I could get with given some of the work he's done with QBs.

I don't know why Campbell is a serious consideration considering he went 5-7 as an interim HC, and if he gets hired he'll probably keep Philbin as well as god knows who else out of MM's bad assistants.

Don't like Munchak either, way too uninspiring and did very little as a HC.

Anyway, so while John Harbaugh hasn't officially inked a deal yet in Baltimore, one would suspect it will be done soon. Ron Rivera it appears is staying in Carolina so X his name off the list as is Quinn in Atlanta.

We wouldn't get the other Harbaugh here without giving him roster control, and that's not going to happen.

Here's a little bit of a wild and unconventional idea, but would you hire a special teams coordinator as head coach? If so, this guy might fit the bill

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches-roster/brant-boyer

Likely not but ... Damn after the garbage we've had to put up with under Zook that guy is quite a commodity

Campbell is a serious candidate because some people feel that going 5-7 with that Dolphins team was overachieving and he has been working with one of the best offenses/teams in football over the last two seasons. I don't know how we would know who he would hire for his staff.

Jim Harbaugh didn't have personnel control in SF and took that job.

Yes, I would hire a ST coach. His name is Dave Toub.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After Northwestern's Bowl win Fitzgerald said he's not going anywhere, that he's staying at Northwestern with his guys. Cross that name off the list...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
After Northwestern's Bowl win Fitzgerald said he's not going anywhere, that he's staying at Northwestern with his guys. Cross that name off the list...

He has been saying that all along, so not sure why people are still thinking he would consider the Packers. Obviously, people change their minds, but both him and Lincoln Riley are 2 guys a lot of people think will cross over to the NFL and I just don't hear anything directly from them that they have any interest, much like Urban Meyer.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Campbell is a serious candidate because some people feel that going 5-7 with that Dolphins team was overachieving and he has been working with one of the best offenses/teams in football over the last two seasons. I don't know how we would know who he would hire for his staff.

Jim Harbaugh didn't have personnel control in SF and took that job.

Yes, I would hire a ST coach. His name is Dave Toub.

Maybe, but Gregg Williams just did even better than that in Cleveland, but don't bet on him getting any HC jobs, especially not after his baggage in New Orleans. And Campbell has a very limited role right now in New Orleans, much less so than Pete Carmichael.

Harbaugh didn't have it initially in SF, but he definitely was trying to wrestle it from Trent Baalke before he went out the door. If he goes pro again, he knows he's a hot commodity and is going to dictate the terms of his contract. Oh yes he will mark my words you will not pry him away from MI without him dictating the terms.

Definitely Toub should be a consideration, but I think Boyer should too with his unit ranked just above Toub's.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Maybe, but Gregg Williams just did even better than that in Cleveland, but don't bet on him getting any HC jobs, especially not after his baggage in New Orleans. And Campbell has a very limited role right now in New Orleans, much less so than Pete Carmichael.

Harbaugh didn't have it initially in SF, but he definitely was trying to wrestle it from Trent Baalke before he went out the door. If he goes pro again, he knows he's a hot commodity and is going to dictate the terms of his contract. Oh yes he will mark my words you will not pry him away from MI without him dictating the terms.

Definitely Toub should be a consideration, but I think Boyer should too with his unit ranked just above Toub's.

Can you explain the details then of Campbell's role vs Carmichael's? Because I don't think we actually know that.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Wonder how much it would cost to buyout Jimbo Fisher's contract at Texas A&M and get him here

The Packers shouldn't be interested in a 50+ years old coach that has never worked in the NFL.

Bowles (D), Gase (O), Koetter (O), Monken (O), and Joseph (D) would all seem like solid coordinator candidates to me.

Wilks might be a decent defensive coordinator as well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers shouldn't be interested in a 50+ years old coach that has never worked in the NFL.

Wilks might be a decent defensive coordinator as well.

Perhaps, but his base defense would ideally require a pretty dramatic overhaul to our defensive personnel.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is interesting to me.

HC Candidate X:
  • Background as a coordinator in both college and pro game.
  • One stint in the NFL as a head coach previously; 6 seasons; 53-43 overall.
  • Three PO appearances; 3-3 in the PO's.
  • Three seasons with 11 wins.
  • Only one losing record.
On paper, isn't that a super intriguing candidate?

And yet when you stick the name "Chuck Pagano" at the top of that list, no one wants it. Why is that exactly? Seems at least part of it has to do with the way the media has presented him.

Some of the reasons he's written off is that he had Luck. That's very true, but I don't care who your QB is... you don't fall backwards into three straight 11 win seasons. I also understand that his background is on defense and that his defenses were never very good, but I also think you have to consider that Ryan Grigson was arguably the worst GM in the league during Pagano's tenure. Go back and look at Grigson's drafts (2012-2016). Who is the best defensive player he drafted? Clayton Geathers? Then you turn to FA. Who did he sign to help that defense? A 32 year old Trent Cole on his last legs? An Arthur Jones who was never healthy once they signed him?

I think Grigson wrecked the Colts for 5 years and Pagano went down with the ship. If you look at what he accomplished, it's noteworthy.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Apprently Lions and Jim Bob ****** agree to part ways. Yes/No on Jim Bob ****** as HC?

FarmerPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lincoln Riley has agreed to an extension to stay at Oklahoma, so it doesn't look like he will be moving up to the NFL.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excited but also prepared for the worst. If history repeats itself, we should know who our head coach is by next week.

D

Deleted member 6794

Apprently Lions and Jim Bob ****** agree to part ways. Yes/No on Jim Bob ****** as HC?

No, the Lions offense wasn't an elite one over his tenure as their offensive coordinator.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reports have been that the Packers will likely interview 12-14 candidates, which means that 4-6 more names should emerge. I hope some of the following are included:
  • Bruce Arians
  • Jim Harbaugh

Since Jim Harbaugh has claimed he would not leave Michigan, just getting to interview him would be huge news, yes?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy next browns coach apparently
Someone is sure to hire him, even if it isn't the Browns. That would be an interesting match though.

This is getting way ahead of things, but I think it would be pretty cool if McCarthy were to somehow win another Super Bowl (after we get ours, of course). I would be happier for him than I would have been for Holmgren, and I was hoping for him to win a second one too (even though I hate the Seahawks).

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's your laugh of the day / please God let this happen news. Hue Jackson is being considered to be the Vikings OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts