Post MM firing -- coaching search: who we want -- ALL threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Aren't we not supposed to give X's without comment now? I think I remember that being a thing.

Of course you can disagree. The PROBLEM is repeatedly disagreeing with a member, and going back of OLD threads disageeing with those too for disagreeing sake.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see reports of repeated interest of Fitzgerald as HC. I have reservations on his hire because Murphy hired him when he was AD. Murphy IMO likes to surround himself with “his people that he is comfortable with” McCarthy stayed too long(didn’t give Gute power to fire him like most GM’s) and TT sticking around a few years too long. I will pass on Fitzgerald.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see reports of repeated interest of Fitzgerald as HC. I have reservations on his hire because Murphy hired him when he was AD. Murphy IMO likes to surround himself with “his people that he is comfortable with” McCarthy stayed too long(didn’t give Gute power to fire him like most GM’s) and TT sticking around a few years too long. I will pass on Fitzgerald.

A lot of successful decision makers surround themselves with people they have worked with before. I don't have any issue with Murphy having hired Fitzgerald before but am worried about his lack of NFL experience.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe not, but they sure rolled over Notre Dame, just as they were predicted to. And I even watched some Notre Dame games this year, they were pretty good.
Yup and hard to ignore the Day that a Freshman QB had 27-39, 327 yds and 3 TD's. Keep an eye on Trevor Lawrence. Alabama will be a good solid test for him.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one is wondering about Kevin Greene? I'd give him a heck of a look considering what he was able to do with our lbs in gb during his time here.
What did he do with our OLBs while here? Clay was very good from the beginning. Kampman had his worst season in 5 years under him. Frank Zombo, Eric Walden, Mike Neal, and Brad Jones, all of them failed to develop. He was and still is not a very good coach. He is current OLB coach for NY Jets, the 26th ranked defense.

He has coached OLBs for 6 years is the extent of his experience.

He has had no organizational experience, no scheming experience, no planning experience, no coaching leadership experience, and no coordinating experience.

He was out of coaching for 4 or 5 years after the Packers. Either he nobody would hire him or he didnt try because he doesnt really have a passion for it.

He didnt even coach LBs, just OLBs. He handled a subset of a subset of 1 side of the ball and still he failed to develop players and his units have generally performed poorly.

Being passionate and animated on the sidelines seems to trump all other things. If we go that direction, maybe we should look at bringing in Richard Simmons.

Someday, Greene may develop into a HC candidate. But for now, he is where he is because of who he is. A marginal position coach on a poor team.

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What did he do with our OLBs while here? Clay was very good from the beginning. Kampman had his worst season in 5 years under him. Frank Zombo, Eric Walden, Mike Neal, and Brad Jones, all of them failed to develop. He was and still is not a very good coach. He is current OLB coach for NY Jets, the 26th ranked defense.

He has coached OLBs for 6 years is the extent of his experience.

He has had no organizational experience, no scheming experience, no planning experience, no coaching leadership experience, and no coordinating experience.

He was out of coaching for 4 or 5 years after the Packers. Either he nobody would hire him or he didnt try because he doesnt really have a passion for it.

He didnt even coach LBs, just OLBs. He handled a subset of a subset of 1 side of the ball and still he failed to develop players and his units have generally performed poorly.

Being passionate and animated on the sidelines seems to trump all other things. If we go that direction, maybe we should look at bringing in Richard Simmons.

Someday, Greene may develop into a HC candidate. But for now, he is where he is because of who he is. A marginal position coach on a poor team.
I think he had a hand in developing Clay....so theres that. And Walden did play for some time in the nfl as he left. Zombo as well. Kampman was a 4-3 player in a 3-4 alignment so thats questionable as well.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he had a hand in developing Clay....so theres that. And Walden did play for some time in the nfl as he left. Zombo as well. Kampman was a 4-3 player in a 3-4 alignment so thats questionable as well.
Walden amassed 6 sacks while playing in 31 games under the tutelage of Greene. He did play more, and did better apart from Greene. He had 23 sacks over the next 4 years.

Zombo had 5 sacks in 3 seasons. He is still playing and has 7.5 more sacks in past 6 years.

Kampman played poorly under Greene, plain and simple.

Do you really want to make a entry level position coach, whom you have to make excuses for his lack of success (or are trying to prove marginal success) the head coach?

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Just think that they either need a coach who is green but can get the job done. Or that of an experience H.C. Should be an interesting off season.

FarmerPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kitchens has done a marvelous job in Cleveland this season but wasn't especially successful during 11 years as an assistant coach with the Cardinals before that.

That may be, but at this point they need to look at everybody, if they just rehire a retread coach without digging deep they will be doing a disservice to themselves and fans. I don't know much about him, but his offense is definitely playing with attitude and a chip on their shoulder (though some of that may be permeating down from Greg Williams, who I wouldn't mind seeing interviewed as well).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I understand that the Packers didn't have enough talent at cornerback to move Randall to safety, just wanted to make it clear that a positional coach definitely has influence on the decision making.

Kitchens has done a marvelous job in Cleveland this season but wasn't especially successful during 11 years as an assistant coach with the Cardinals before that.

You don't think so? He was the QB coach under whom Carson Palmer had a seemingly unlikely renaissance. Granted, his years as the TE coach were not overly productive at that position, but when's the last time Arizona had any talent at TE?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
After today, I think its safe to say that we will not see Joe Philbin on the Packer sidelines again.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Eric Bienemy would be a great choice. EX NFL player. Has coached in college and pro. Many running backs under him have done wonders.

Something people forget is a coach's personality and how that coach will handle/deal with players. Just cause a coach has fancy offensive playbook and run players to the ground, no one will want to play for them. In the interviews, Bienemy sounds intelligent, wise and seems to understand his players on a personal level. He would bring another dimension to our offense by getting a running game.

D

Deleted member 6794

That may be, but at this point they need to look at everybody, if they just rehire a retread coach without digging deep they will be doing a disservice to themselves and fans. I don't know much about him, but his offense is definitely playing with attitude and a chip on their shoulder (though some of that may be permeating down from Greg Williams, who I wouldn't mind seeing interviewed as well).

I don't consider Williams to be a good fit with the Packers.

You don't think so? He was the QB coach under whom Carson Palmer had a seemingly unlikely renaissance. Granted, his years as the TE coach were not overly productive at that position, but when's the last time Arizona had any talent at TE?

It's true that Palmer performed at an elite level with Kitchens being his coach for two seasons but I'm not sure that's enough to make me feel comfortable about him being hired as the Packers next head coach.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't consider Williams to be a good fit with the Packers.

It's true that Palmer performed at an elite level with Kitchens being his coach for two seasons but I'm not sure that's enough to make me feel comfortable about him being hired as the Packers next head coach.

One of my favorite options would be Arians as HC and Kitchens as OC, and perhaps the HC heir apparent if all goes well. But Arians didn't want the job, or so he said.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A telling story will be how many of the soon to be fired Packer assistant coaches will McCarthy bring with him. Capers may be employed again! :coffee:
Omigosh, I would laugh my **** off if McCarthy hired Capers again.

Seriously, I only wish the best for McCarthy. I hope he gets along well with Baker Mayfield. I really don't care for his antagonism against former Browns coach Hue Jackson. The guy got fired, what was he supposed to do, sit at home and not take a job with another team? If it motivates him, fine, but it's pretty ridiculous IMO.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Omigosh, I would laugh my **** off if McCarthy hired Capers again.

Seriously, I only wish the best for McCarthy. I hope he gets along well with Baker Mayfield. I really don't care for his antagonism against former Browns coach Hue Jackson. The guy got fired, what was he supposed to do, sit at home and not take a job with another team? If it motivates him, fine, but it's pretty ridiculous IMO.

Browns fans should be even more alarmed if he allows Ron Zook on his staff over there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would love it if the Browns, which is the job that Arians wants, hire McCarthy, who replaces Kitchens with Philbin and the Packers end up with the Arians/Kitchens combo. That's my dream scenario at this point. Arians could keep Pettine or hire Todd Bowles to be DC... whatever he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts