Post Game Positives & Negatives

Reaction score
He is great insurance policy for the future IMO, especially if Barnett decides to leave.

Barnett/Hawk/Popp has sooo much potential though, and Popp has made HUGE strides lately.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously Barnett is the better player but I actually thought Hodge played fairly well for his 1st NFL Start. Nothing great but nothing bad either from what I saw.

If he comes along then GB could use him as trade bait and possibly pick up a good player for him. You never know and like stated Barnett could leave the Pack for big money elsewhere and Hodge would be a suitable replacement.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Perhaps I am the only one dissapointed by Hodge's play?

He seemed to get eaten by blockers, seemed to miss a couple of key tackles that he could have made with better technique, and he just seemed a step too slow out there in coverage.

And could be a key reason why Alexander was able to run for over 200. Barnett has been far better against the run.

I was thinking this too. Hodge had the defensive TD, but I don't remember anyone running for 200 yards on us this year with Barnett in the line-up!

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
DakotaT said:
Yared-Yam said:
all about da packers said:
Perhaps I am the only one dissapointed by Hodge's play?

He seemed to get eaten by blockers, seemed to miss a couple of key tackles that he could have made with better technique, and he just seemed a step too slow out there in coverage.

And missed more than a couple tackles on Alexander.

He was OK, but Barnett is better

Agreed, Barnett is a much better player, but at least we were spared the samurai chop dance tonight. I suppose if that were Barnett running the fumble back, he would have added a reverse thrust kick for our pleasure.

Seriously though, Barnett should stay in the middle for us for many years. I'm thinking Hodge will be a career backup/special teams player.

I don't think we can completely write off Hodge after one game, but I he wasn't very impressive tonite, IMO. He made a great play on that fumble, though. Right place at the right time.

Cory, I'm not writing him off. If he works hard, he might become a solid starter someday, but what I saw tonight was not a player good enough to crack the starting lineup in Green Bay when everyone is healthy. All our linebackers are young, so where will he play?

I agree tonite he didn't show any reason to shift the backers..sit popp and move him in....was not very impressed.

OP
OP
A

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
abztractmynd said:
Positives:

1) Abdul Hodge showed he can play.
2) Defense played a good game up until the end
3) Charles Woodson is still a Pro Bowl player.
4) Manuel plays well in the snow against his former teams
5) Our defense is coming together...sort of.
6) Donald Driver and Greg Jennings are studs, but need a better QB.

Negatives:

1) Brett Favre wont come back next year.
2) Ahman Green has never been a good RB, he proves it and has proven it for a while.
3) Our running scheme is so plain and readible....it looks like we only run in power formation and only to the left side.
4) AJ Hawk didnt do good today.
5) Our Goal Line Defense and Offense sucks.
6) Special Teams is worst of all, our kickoff and punt return players sure are "special".

I have to say this post takes the cake for ridiculous opinions.

Abdul showed he could play while hawk "didnt' do good? Adbul and his 6 tackles(1 in the second half) and getting beat by jeremy stevens for a TD? I'm not dissing Hodge because it was his first game, but once the snow cleared up he flat out disappeared. Hawk had 15 total tackles to lead the team....again.

Our defense as a whole was AWFUL even in the first half. Dumb throws and TO's by the Hawks kept us in the game.

I have to say im sorry for not going into details about my opinions, let me edit those few you were so concerned about to consider it so ridiculous of an opinion.

AJ Hawk - ya he sure did have 10 tackles in the game, but from what i saw in the game, most of those tackles were beyond the line of scrimmage, or him chasing down a reciever or running back. i didnt see any tackles in the backfield, i also saw him get blown up and miss a couple tackles. all that said...im not saying his day was horrible, but it wasnt spectacular either.

Abdul Hodge - a rookie starting in his first game, making some plays and catching a ball for a TD. he did good for his first game, and he also messed up some too.

Overall...i feel Hawk played average and Hodge showed he can play by MAKING PLAYS, not every down, but he atleast showed something he can build on.

not so ridiculous now egh?

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The greatest negative is that for whatever reasons, this team is unable to show consistent improvement across all areas of the game. As one area improves, two others regress. If the defense improved this game, the offense remained horrible and special teams deteriorated further. If the pass defense improved the run defense was non-existent. If we finally found a way to take the ball away, we then didnt know quite what to do with it and in almost gentlemanly fashion simply handed it back.

Its a classic case of one step forward and two steps back. Its also symptomatic of a team with the youth and inexperience that the Packers have:

2nd Year GM
Rookie Head Coach
Rookie Offensive Coordinator
Rookie Defensive Coordinator
8 Rookies starting

The positive is that hopefully the team will learn and for the last two weeks they have been taught by two of the best Belichick and Holmgren.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
abztractmynd said:
Positives:

Negatives:

2) Ahman Green has never been a good RB, he proves it and has proven it for a while.
3) Our running scheme is so plain and readible....it looks like we only run in power formation and only to the left side.
6) Special Teams is worst of all, our kickoff and punt return players sure are "special".

I have to say this post takes the cake for ridiculous opinions.

Abdul showed he could play while hawk "didnt' do good? Adbul and his 6 tackles(1 in the second half) and getting beat by jeremy stevens for a TD? I'm not dissing Hodge because it was his first game, but once the snow cleared up he flat out disappeared. Hawk had 15 total tackles to lead the team....again.

Our defense as a whole was AWFUL even in the first half. Dumb throws and TO's by the Hawks kept us in the game.

I have to say im sorry for not going into details about my opinions, let me edit those few you were so concerned about to consider it so ridiculous of an opinion.

AJ Hawk - ya he sure did have 10 tackles in the game, but from what i saw in the game, most of those tackles were beyond the line of scrimmage, or him chasing down a reciever or running back. i didnt see any tackles in the backfield, i also saw him get blown up and miss a couple tackles. all that said...im not saying his day was horrible, but it wasnt spectacular either.

Abdul Hodge - a rookie starting in his first game, making some plays and catching a ball for a TD. he did good for his first game, and he also messed up some too.

Overall...i feel Hawk played average and Hodge showed he can play by MAKING PLAYS, not every down, but he atleast showed something he can build on.

not so ridiculous now egh?

I apologize for the reaction, but still completely disagree. Most of ANY LBers tackles are from beyond the LOS. Btw, You didn't see Hawk get alex for a 2 yard loss? That's about the ONLY tackle the PACKERS DEFENSE had in the backfield. Hawk get blown up? Where? He takes on the fullback when they run to his side. He's done it all year. I saw him knock the fullback backwards a few times and at least stand the fullback upright and thats against one of the better FBs in the game.

(12:35) S.Alexander left tackle to SEA 22 for 4 yards (A.Hawk, K.Gbaja-Biamila).

(5:52) M.Morris right guard to GB 46 for 3 yards (A.Hodge, A.Hawk).

(5:02) S.Alexander left guard to GB 32 for 2 yards (R.Pickett, A.Hawk).

(5:45) M.Strong up the middle to GB 21 for 3 yards (A.Hawk).

(7:52) S.Alexander right tackle to GB 29 for -2 yards (A.Hawk).

(7:00) S.Alexander left guard to GB 3 for 4 yards (A.Hawk, M.Montgomery).

(3:39) S.Alexander right tackle to SEA 38 for -1 yards (A.Hawk, R.Pickett).

He also had plays where he tackled the ballcarrier 18,21, 6 yards down the field. It goes both ways and the guy is around the ball constantly.

What I saw from Hodge once the snow lifted was a LBer that is very slow in coverage and so-so against the run. But like I said in other posts(I believe in this very thread) he was a rook starting his first game and he made a great play on the fumble for sure.

Frankly, I don't blame our Lbers. I blame defensive coaching and our Dline for getting knocked around.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
abztractmynd said:
Positives:

Negatives:

do us all a favor a spare us of this crap.

Better QB my ***.

Green has been a pro-bowl back for years, just not at this point.

How do you know Favre isnt coming back?

A better QB?? You must not be watching the same games as me, again those two interceptions by Favre at the end of the game was to make things happen cause they were behind, one catch should have been made by Martin, cause when Martin missed it Favre was pointing at him like where were you, he never turned to look for the ball and when he did it was to late. You cannot put the blame on Favre for this game.

Green has been a pro bowler, he has bad games just like everyone else and again if the OF cant open up the holes for him to run through thats not his fault. But he has the power and the speed to make things happen.

And I do believe Favre will come back IMO, he is having fun this season and he still has what it takes to get the job done again IMO...he just needs a better team around him...

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously Barnett is the better player but I actually thought Hodge played fairly well for his 1st NFL Start. Nothing great but nothing bad either from what I saw.

If he comes along then GB could use him as trade bait and possibly pick up a good player for him. You never know and like stated Barnett could leave the Pack for big money elsewhere and Hodge would be a suitable replacement.

Hodge looked ok for what he is, a rookie who's been injured most of the season making his first start. That being said, I think he looked slow because he was thinking more than just reacting and playing. He didn't show his instincts, which we know are good. This is the same thing we saw from Hawk early in the year and he's continued to get better with experience. I expect Hodge will be able to do the same.

That being said, Barnett is clearly the better player. I also said that in preseason when people were looking to move him outside to start Hodge. Barnett and Hawk make our defense better and breaking that combo up made things more difficult tonight. Of course the holding by Seattle's OL hurt also. How many times does Pickett have to carry a lineman on his back before the ref will call holding?? Isn't it holding when the tackle grabs KGB's jersey outside the shoulders all night??

All that aside, the player that we missed the most tonight was Tauscher. Because of him being out, we ended up running in only one direction. We also ended up keeping several players in for max protect and relied on short passing routes. He's a very good player and missing him limited what we could do on offense.

Considering our injuries and the terrible refing, we were still only one call away from taking this game at the end. We played well for a young team going up against last year's NFC champs. There are many positives to take from the game and build on. That is why we must continue to play hard and play to win every game. That kind of development means much more than draft position.

GO PACK GO!!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, our defense gave up big numbers....because of another big number....the number of minutes they had to stay on the field. Our offense abandoned them once again....and special teams coverage continues to put them at a disadvantage.

Generally speaking, I really like what MM is doing and how he is handling his players....but our 2nd and long play selection has not impressed me recently...leaving the offense in 3rd and long far too often.

Should we now begin to dress QBs in pink with frilly tutus? That call on Jenkins took away any momentum the team had. The refs have been consistently....week to week, game to game, Packers and others...the worst I have seen in my entire football watching life. College officiating is not far behind.

OP
OP
A

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersfan43084 said:
abztractmynd said:
Positives:

Negatives:

do us all a favor a spare us of this crap.

Better QB my ***.

Green has been a pro-bowl back for years, just not at this point.

How do you know Favre isnt coming back?

A better QB?? You must not be watching the same games as me, again those two interceptions by Favre at the end of the game was to make things happen cause they were behind, one catch should have been made by Martin, cause when Martin missed it Favre was pointing at him like where were you, he never turned to look for the ball and when he did it was to late. You cannot put the blame on Favre for this game.

Green has been a pro bowler, he has bad games just like everyone else and again if the OF cant open up the holes for him to run through thats not his fault. But he has the power and the speed to make things happen.

And I do believe Favre will come back IMO, he is having fun this season and he still has what it takes to get the job done again IMO...he just needs a better team around him...

im sure he is having fun this season, but not so much lately...and if we continue the way we play the rest of this season, i dont think he will be coming back. it all depends on his health, and if hes having fun. When it came down to the wire, with that drive where we had to score at the end...Favre came through with a nice pick. He does that alot, and it shows in all the games we lost at the end of the game this year. After that i didnt count how many more times he couuld have been picked by forcing, but u never force a pass when ur behind to try to make something happen. Does Peyton Manning or Tom Brady force passes and get picked? no, they drive the ball down the field and score, almost if not every time.

As for Green...i know he's a pro bowl back, but other than the season he had 1800 rush yards, he hasnt really done so well. How the linemen play is a factor and the running scheme we have is a factor in how Green plays...but he doesnt have what Barber, Reggie Bush, Deshaun Foster, Frank Gore, Priest Holmes, Edgerin James, Thomas Jones, Fred Williams, Larry Johnson, etc.. have. They can all make moves above the line of scrimmage, they also get out of tough spots..Green just falls over his linemen and jumps into holes, and runs straight, doesnt use his vision much. I think the Packers need a better RB, the linemen will settle down with experience.

The team is good enough, he struggled last year, and he is struggling this year...something needs to be done. But until we have a QB ready to come in and play...he will probably stay.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one more positive is that we have shown that we can beat or keep a close game against a play off team.

one negstive was that we cant keep the lead, we where up 21-12 at one point and still forum a way to lose. :(

largetree

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had the good fortune of going to the Hawks /Packers game monday night. Qwest field has an awesome atmosphere with a very loud crowd and the snow in Seattle (doesn't happen very often) was almost magical. Pretty much everyone stood during the whole game and yelled for one team or the other, probably close to 20 - 25% Packer fans there, good to see.

About the game, at least the Packers kept it competitive until late in the 4th. I heard a stat that Seattle has won something like 28 of their last 32 games at home so nothing to be ashamed of by losing (although it did suck).

I think the better team won, the Pack is young and didn't execute when they had a chance. Should have put more points up in the first half (got nothing after two of the first half turnovers, ill advised endzone pass to Bubba that is intercepted when we were moving the ball and the blocked fieldgoal). In the second half they had the ball and a 9 point lead and couldn't put the dagger in the Hawks heart. You should have heard the moaning by the Hawk fans, booing some of the plays and calling for Holmgren's head. If the Pack scores again the Hawks have to abandon the run and we most likely win.

I know Marq Manual sucks in pass coverage but at least he tries to knock the crap out of people when he gets a chance. Overall, the Pack was hitting harder on defense but making assignment mistakes and getting some really suck calls on third down to keep drives alive for Seattle. Even the Hawk fans were saying the calls against Green Bay in the second half were chicken **** but they will take them since they got screwed in the Superbowl.

I think the future is bright for this group but based on what I saw we need someone to provide a better pass rush (DL or DE), a better nickel back, the Oline needs to get stronger, a stud receiver & running back. Oh yeah, the special teams need huge improvement - they gave away field position like Paris Hilton gives away booty. Since this team is very young I think it will keep getting better - just need to find a way to win games instead of coming close

Members online

Latest posts