Possible wr trade targets?

H

HardRightEdge

Yup, no surprise there. I believe Kumerow is back as well on the cheap as an ERFA. I don't expect Allison to be back, unless he shops around and finds out he is best to sign for league minimum in Green Bay, with only incentives and no guarantees. I think the Packers use at least one pick if not 2 on a rookie WR, so odds are with Adams, Lazard, Rookie(s), MVS, ESB and Kumerow, Allison would have an uphill battle to even make the roster.
Yes, I'd say the Allison era being over is better than a 50/50 proposition.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I'd say the Allison era being over is better than a 50/50 proposition.
Considering that last year was a contract year for Allison, he truly threw away the opportunity. Maybe he plays in 2020. I’m almost certain it won’t be in GB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I do think that as of now, it looks like Arizona got the better end of things, this has to play out further.

Maybe Diggs will want a new deal as well, but Andre Hopkins wants and is probably getting a new contract. I think when those numbers come in, Packer fans will realize that while it would be nice to have "this stud WR or that stud WR" next to Adams, you only have so much cap space and the Packers IMO would be nuts to spend that kind of money, as well as draft capital on a second WR. Trust me, I want the Packers to improve at WR, but not at the expense of all their other needs.
Correct. From what I’ve read (take it with a grain of salt), Hopkins is looking for $20 mil/year. That’s just nuts, as good as he is. Same with Hooper. $11 mil/year is just too much given other needs. I know fans don’t like it, ala the Mack non-trade, but sometimes common sense rules the day.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're starting to get into "champagne tastes on a beer budget" territory.
I’m afraid you’re right. Gluten can probably do one massive signing, say Littleton or A.J. Green (likely to be tagged anyway), or he can make a number of stopgap acquisitions as he did this week. Will this make GB better as a team? Not so far, but it is early. I’d say he has a week, 2 weeks max to make something happen.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandin Cooks is reportedly on the block.

He's a very capable player who brings elite speed and knows the offense already.

However, he's in danger of missing entire seasons with concussion issues and will cost 12M, 13M, and 14M over the next three seasons respectively.

I would say no, but he's worth a mention.
Cooks certainly travels a lot. I think he’s gone from NO to NE to the Rams. Maybe his injury history and salary demands make him less attractive. If he’s still available in three weeks, might be worth a gamble, but at more like $10 mil/year. Then again, I may still be dreaming.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My best guess is that Gluten is going to gamble on a WR at #30. And by gamble I mean finding an impact player who starts day 1. That’s a real gamble. He also could find a slot receiver in FA (a guy like Cobb, but not Cobb). I don’t know if there’s anyone like that available. That’s one way to completely redo the starting 3 WRs. Other than Lazard, I don’t care if they keep any of the other guys. Just my opinion.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cooks certainly travels a lot. I think he’s gone from NO to NE to the Rams. Maybe his injury history and salary demands make him less attractive. If he’s still available in three weeks, might be worth a gamble, but at more like $10 mil/year. Then again, I may still be dreaming.

Yea I wonder what the root of it is. Seems like teams move off him after 2 years of good production. NE moved off of him after 1 year at 7TDs first year with Brady which seems to never happen. Production seemed to slip a little for the Rams but you got Gurley, Kupp and Woods to compete with there.

H

HardRightEdge

I’m afraid you’re right. Gluten can probably do one massive signing, say Littleton or A.J. Green (likely to be tagged anyway), or he can make a number of stopgap acquisitions as he did this week. Will this make GB better as a team? Not so far, but it is early. I’d say he has a week, 2 weeks max to make something happen.
I think the "massive signing" business has left the building.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green was Franchise tagged yesterday by the Bengals. That doesn't mean they won't try to trade him, but he isn't playing as a Packer next season.
Probably just as well. The cost in players and picks is unlikely to be worth it. And the Packers have other options at WR.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the "massive signing" business has left the building.
Yeah, I’m afraid you’re right. We got a little spoiled by last year’s FA haul. I’m not thrilled with the Kirksey and Wagner signings, although I’m glad Martinez is gone. He’s just not worth $10 mil/year, IMO. Still, it’s not what I expected from Gluten in FA. It looks like Gluten will depend on Kirksey and the draft to deal with ILB. Maybe that’s OK. Strengthening the D line is probably the best way to improve the run D.

Is Littleton still available or is he staying with the Rams? With Schobert going to the Jags today, seems like all the big FA ILBs are spoken for.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I wonder what the root of it is. Seems like teams move off him after 2 years of good production. NE moved off of him after 1 year at 7TDs first year with Brady which seems to never happen. Production seemed to slip a little for the Rams but you got Gurley, Kupp and Woods to compete with there.
Well, we’ll see. From what I’ve seen of him he’s a good WR when healthy. There maybe other issues behind all the different teams.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Emmanuel Sanders would make for a great bridge player at wide receiver. I have assumed that he would be too expensive for my liking, but maybe if the market doesn't materialize he could be cheaper than expected?

Reaction score
Correct. From what I’ve read (take it with a grain of salt), Hopkins is looking for $20 mil/year. That’s just nuts, as good as he is. Same with Hooper. $11 mil/year is just too much given other needs. I know fans don’t like it, ala the Mack non-trade, but sometimes common sense rules the day.
At that kinda money, give me another lower cost veteran plus maybe a day 1-2 WR in this draft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At that kinda money, give me another lower cost veteran plus maybe a day 1-2 WR in this draft.
That seems to be the way Gluten is going. He probably has enough cap left for a “splash” deal for the right guy with enough left over for the draft. Sure looks like he’s counting on the draft for a WR early, and another ILB to play next to Kirksey and a RT to play behind Wagner. Or maybe instead of a splash signing he buys some depth for the D line. Not nearly as exciting as last year, but this year (fortunately) the needs aren’t as numerous. Also, looks like he’s counting on Jace to pick it up at TE.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Emmanuel Sanders would make for a great bridge player at wide receiver. I have assumed that he would be too expensive for my liking, but maybe if the market doesn't materialize he could be cheaper than expected?
Love the idea and the player, but I think you were right the first time, he is probably going to be too expensive. The question for me would be this, would you cut Taylor and make a few other adjustments here and there and make one last FA signing and its Sanders? I have been on board since the season ended that a veteran is going to be needed at WR and that feeling has now been compounded by the fact that so far no TE upgrades have been made. Actually, 2 loses at TE with Graham gone and Lewis yet to be signed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Love the idea and the player, but I think you were right the first time, he is probably going to be too expensive. The question for me would be this, would you cut Taylor and make a few other adjustments here and there and make one last FA signing and its Sanders? I have been on board since the season ended that a veteran is going to be needed at WR and that feeling has now been compounded by the fact that so far no TE upgrades have been made. Actually, 2 loses at TE with Graham gone and Lewis yet to be signed.

They've only spent 9.8M in space on Wagner and Kirksey. They should have room to do more, and yes I would absolutely cut Taylor to create more flexibility.

But I wouldn't spend the cap on Sanders unless he comes in cheaper than expected.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But I wouldn't spend the cap on Sanders unless he comes in cheaper than expected.

What kind of contract would you consider/expect? I would give him the same money as Cobb, on a 2 year deal, but I expect him to want more. His age (33 today) might help keep his number down.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What kind of contract would you consider/expect? I would give him the same money as Cobb, on a 2 year deal, but I expect him to want more. His age (33 today) might help keep his number down.

I am thinking of a scenario where the market just isn't there and we get him for like 6-7M.

I wouldn't do Cobb's deal. That was a pretty awful contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am thinking of a scenario where the market just isn't there and we get him for like 6-7M.

I wouldn't do Cobb's deal. That was a pretty awful contract.
Brain Fart, I was thinking Randall signed for $7M/year and if you could get Sanders on a 2 year deal for that, it would be worth it. Just saw the actual Cobb number @ $27M/3 years, so $9M/year. I have seen $10M for Sanders, so I am just guessing it will take around Cobb's $9, but again, age, the deep WR draft, maybe he isn't going to see many offers and that price drops to the 6-7 range.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait a minute! Why are you guys putting stock in a 33 year old wide receiver, when you guys were the same people that said Jordy was too old a few years back when I suggested we bring him back?

H

HardRightEdge

If the pattern holds true, any WR FA signing will be a name nobody has mentioned if there are any in fact.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Wait a minute! Why are you guys putting stock in a 33 year old wide receiver, when you guys were the same people that said Jordy was too old a few years back when I suggested we bring him back?

Because of the way that he was playing last year.