Positives

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they beat the crap out of that guy in jail with rubber hoses....what a ******!

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK - for the positives from Monday nights game -

We don't play the Bengals in the regular season . But anyhow - Jennings and Driver looked good , Rayners kickoffs were inside the 5 and perfect of the FG , Favre looked good on that scoring drive before half . But - the O-line looked bad , the def missed alot of tackles , Favre needs to go to a touch pass on the short routes - when he throws that 100 MPH heater on a 15 yd pass, it sometimes bounces off the WR and up for grabs .

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: OK - for the positives from Monday nights game -

The only positives I can think of from Monday's game is that:

1. We didn't suffer any significant injuries.

2. Draft day next year is going to be really exciting hearing those famous words "With the number one pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers select___________"

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: OK - for the positives from Monday nights game -

We need to remember that this same Bengals unit, which returned all 11 starters, ran one period last year in which they scored 37 (IND), 42 (Bal), 38 (SB champ PIT), 23 (Cle) and 41 (Det). They are one of top 5 or 6 offenses in the league and make most defenses look like High School JV teams.

Unlike most teams, when the game got out of control early, the play-calling remained consistent with what the preseason is for. The Packers ran the ball 36 times rather than the past practice of throwing on every down. This gave them the chance to see the players they needed to. If they were to win, fine but the real purpose is to see what the players can do in live action.

Although, maybe the biggest positive was that Houshmanzadeh's feet got sore and he had to take the rest of the night off. :lol:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If your Al Harris, maybe you just hold out right now. After last night's game you would have so much leverage. Now I'm not saying he will. I'm saying if I'm his agent, I tell him to consider it right now. He has leverage after last nights game with the way everyone played. Harris played like a Pro Bowl Corner who deserves a raise.

Reaction score
Very true porky.

Now TT has a big delima. Give Harris the extension now, in which obviously his asking price will have icnreased.

Wait until after the season, in which it might be too late if Harris gets pissed/injured, and risk having another Walker type situation on your hands.

IMO I sign him right away, and after last night, I think Harris has every right to ask for top dollar.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very though call. If you give it too him now you risk Harris just not being motivated. It's one thing to play good but when you have a potential pay day you know your going to be out there giving it your all.

With that said, We have the money now and I think getting Harris locked up is the top thing to do. Harris has been consistent throughout his years in Green Bay. He's proven he can do it year in and year out. I think this would be the best move for GB right now.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
With that said, We have the money now and I think getting Harris locked up is the top thing to do.

Herein lies the problem, we have the money to spend, but we can't protect our QB. Lets lock up Harris while our QB is getting bounced like a rag doll.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:
With that said, We have the money now and I think getting Harris locked up is the top thing to do.

Herein lies the problem, we have the money to spend, but we can't protect our QB. Lets lock up Harris while our QB is getting bounced like a rag doll.

Who would you go out and sign right now? Better yet who would you go out and sign that was in free agency. Take into account these guys all got other offers from other teams. Would you give Hutchinson 7 year 49 millon and 20 mil up front?

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. I would have signed Wahle last year.

But we all know that wasn't in TT's grand master plan, and i'm sure there's a patent made excuse for you to shoot it down.

Whatever TT does in your eyes is fine.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:

Who would you go out and sign right now? Better yet who would you go out and sign that was in free agency. Take into account these guys all got other offers from other teams. Would you give Hutchinson 7 year 49 millon and 20 mil up front?

Why do I have to do this over and over again? I already gave a list 20 damn times. Re-Sign Wahle or one of 15 other experienced guards that were available over the last 2 years......It's not really rocket science......unless your Ted Thompson

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:

Why do I have to do this over and over again? I already gave a list 20 damn times. Re-Sign Wahle or one of 15 other experienced guards that were available over the last 2 years......It's not really rocket science......unless your Ted Thompson

I'm talking about this year. I haven't seen you say one name. Wahle was gone to Carolina. Long gone for a year heading into this off season. I personally think Tom Ashworth would of been a nice fit. That's just my opinion though.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
go back and read the old posts, plenty of options outside of 2 rookies

I have been. I haven't seen many examples at all. Maybe Larry Allen but at 345 pounds he's just not a fit. I'll keep looking though.

I've seen you give some examples on other players to take in the Draft instead of Spitz and Colledge.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just did. Re-Sign Wahle, draft Kuper or Boothe. Pursue experienced players. Goodwin,Hartwig,Allen,Reyes,Fonoti,Steussie,Brown this year. Rabach,DeMulling,Garza,Coleman last year. It's funny that alot of these guys started all 16 games at guard for thier new team in 2005. Bring in FA Tackles and move them to Guard. Trade for a biiger-name, ENDLESS OPTIONS

There you go

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
I just did. Re-Sign Wahle, draft Kuper or Boothe. Pursue experienced players. Goodwin,Hartwig,Allen,Reyes,Fonoti,Steussie,Brown this year. Rabach,DeMulling,Garza,Coleman last year. It's funny that alot of these guys started all 16 games at guard for thier new team in 2005. Bring in FA Tackles and move them to Guard. Trade for a biiger-name, ENDLESS OPTIONS

There you go

Brown was a free agent I believe a year ago. Unless I'm thinking of a different player but he would of been a nice pickup.

Larry Allen wouldn't fit this scheme. Tonoui Fonoti wouldn't either. Those guys are big power run blockers. Cut blocking wouldn't be they're speciality.

Demulling would've been a nice look but again wasn't a free agent this year. Signed with the Lions a year ago.

Rabach same as DeMulling. All these options are much better than Klemm and O'Dwyer for sure.

I was more so looking at free agents this year and not last year but I do agree, Thompson really blew it last off season. I wasn't here to express my opinion then bue yeah all those guys would of been worth a free agent signing. Not sure if any would of made much of a difference though but it'd definately set us up better now.

This year I liked the Defensive 1st approach but I still think Tom Ashworth was a guy we needed to get. Considering it was a weak class in the interrior line, Ashworth would of made great sense and we had the money.

Reaction score
pyle, the fact that TT has money now to do a contract extension is the most important thing IMO. Yes TT has made mistakes, but they are in the past. IMO the past should have no bearing on signing Harris to an extension. Do it, get it over with.

The problem that arrises is that if TT does sign Harris, it sets a TERRIBLE precedent. It's a slap in the face to someone like Barnett, and I can sympathize with him if he got mad. Ultimately TT has himself backed into a huge hole.

- Sign Harris this year/next year and risk giving an aging guy a hefty contract extension, while just reaffirming the notion that TT will eventually cave to holdouts.

OR

- Not sign Harris this year/next year and be stuck with another Walker/MM situation. What's worse is to risk loosing Harris and all of a sudden loosing the best CB on the team, and being left with Woodson (who knows, he may be a bust) and Carroll (Holding, 28, Defence). All of a sudden we have another hole to fill next year.

I don't know what TT's plan is, but he better make sure whatever is done doesn't cause the Packers to come out on the low end.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of us know what will happen with the signings, or what this coming season will bring.
So i won't judge TT till it's all over, as he hasn't made any major goofs, or major great things yet.
Ron Wolf wasn't right 100% of the time. In fact, NO GM in the NFL is.
If you are just looking for negative things against him, or positive things, i guarentee thats all that you will find.
I look at BOTH sides, unlike some people.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
pyle, the fact that TT has money now to do a contract extension is the most important thing IMO. Yes TT has made mistakes, but they are in the past. IMO the past should have no bearing on signing Harris to an extension. Do it, get it over with.

The problem that arrises is that if TT does sign Harris, it sets a TERRIBLE precedent. It's a slap in the face to someone like Barnett, and I can sympathize with him if he got mad. Ultimately TT has himself backed into a huge hole.

- Sign Harris this year/next year and risk giving an aging guy a hefty contract extension, while just reaffirming the notion that TT will eventually cave to holdouts.

OR

- Not sign Harris this year/next year and be stuck with another Walker/MM situation. What's worse is to risk loosing Harris and all of a sudden loosing the best CB on the team, and being left with Woodson (who knows, he may be a bust) and Carroll (Holding, 28, Defence). All of a sudden we have another hole to fill next year.

I don't know what TT's plan is, but he better make sure whatever is done doesn't cause the Packers to come out on the low end.

You are definitely one of my favorite posters. Always having an open mind towards things.

I would agree that signing Harris brings upon a potential problem with Barnett. I never thought of that.

With that said, I have the gut feeling Barnett leaves this team when his contract expires. I think that is why they drafted Abdul Hodge. I actually would feel more comfortable with Hodge replacing Barnett than Carroll replacing Harris. That's just my opinion. Others will think differently. I've been hearing a lot of rumors that Carroll is on a shorter leash than what the Packers are making it out to be. He might not be around to long and that makes Harris even more important to this team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts