Position Rankings (OT, ILB, TE, OLB)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t see any guard being worth of a first-round pick and with the Packers scheme it´s possible to find starters later in the draft.

Peppers will count $10.5 million toward the cap next season if the Packers bring him back.

I don't disagree with you there though...but I suspect you knew that :D

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I wasn't referring to what Peppers counts against the cap if he comes back. I was talking about what we would get added if he was cut or retired which is the $5-6 million. That's what I was confused about.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh I wasn't referring to what Peppers counts against the cap if he comes back. I was talking about what we would get added if he was cut or retired which is the $5-6 million. That's what I was confused about.

Once again, if Peppers retires or is released by the Packers the team would have an additional $8 million in cap space.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It isn't 5-6 Million....it is in the 8 million range.

D

Deleted member 6794

So you're saying Demovsky is wrong? It's 5-6 mil. You're adding in the SB.

Geez, Peppers would count $10.5 million against the cap if he plays in every game in 2016 ($7 million base salary, $500K workout bonus, $500K roster bonus, $2.5 million prorated signing bonus).

If the Packers release him or he retires Peppers will count $2.5 million against the cap because of his prorated signing bonus.

So, once again, releasing him would result in $8 million additional cap space. Hope you get it now because I can't explain it any simpler.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Wynnebeck, in your first post on Peppers in this thread you posted, "him being cut or retiring only frees up about $5-6 million of cap space". captainWIMM corrected you in the next post: It’s $8M, not $5-6M. In your next post, you misstated the situation again: “Like I said, he'll only count as $5-6 million in cap space which for what he brings to the table is not a lot.” captainWIMM corrected you again, it’s $10.5M. Then in the post you quoted Demovsky you misunderstood the difference between compensation and salary cap. Then you posted you weren’t referring to what Peppers counts against the cap if he comes back. That also was incorrect: When you posted, ‘$5-$6M in cap space which for what he brings…’ is exactly on that point. Then you misstate the $5-6M AGAIN. Then you finish with:
Just saying. The 2.5 SB isn't the base.
No, you never posted about the $2.5M SB not being part of the base.

This isn't that big a deal but as I posted a couple of times, go to overthecap.com. It's free. It's easy to understand. You'll see the $10.5M fourth down in the "Salary Cap" column. And you'll see $2.5M and $8M fourth down in the "Dead Money & "Cap Savings" column.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here's an excerpt from Tom Oates' "Talented defensive linemen, outside linebackers will be available for Packers with 27th pick" After the usual caveats that on-campus workouts and the combine will change evaluations and guesses at which players will be gone by pick #27, he writes:
A team can always use pass-rushers and the Packers might have their choice of edge rushers such as Georgia’s Leonard Floyd, Eastern Kentucky’s Noah Spence, Michigan State’s Shilique Calhoun and two Clemson players, Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd. The strongest, deepest area of the draft is the defensive line, which means Thompson could be active there. He has re-upped potential free agents Mike Daniels and Letroy Guion, which probably aces out B.J. Raji. That means another big body is a possibility. Alabama’s Jarran Reed, Baylor’s Andrew Billings, Louisville’s Sheldon Rankins and Louisiana Tech’s Vernon Butler all have first-round potential.
http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_025a87af-d88a-5c12-8e29-27936aa9e340.html

Many here will (rightly IMO) obsess about the need for an ILB and TE, but my guess is a DL or OLB is much more likely as a first round choice. (Making a FA acquisition(s) more important at positions of need.)

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree with that. If a quality OLB or DL is there round 1 and they grade better than a decent ILB I'm all over OLB and DL.

mark82

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Reggie Raglan is still available I don't see any other ILB that's worth a first round pick. I'd personally go with Hunter Henry at 27 (or even better, trade back and still get him) to help with our issues in the red zone and moving the chains - we can't put it all on Jordy, what if he re-injures. As others have mentioned I'd expect TT to take a pass rusher or maybe even a NT (lots of talent) in the first round. I'd try to address OT in free agency personally with a late round pick as a development piece. The way I'd go: Rd 1 - TE (only if Henry), Rd 2 - Pass Rusher (someone like Carl Nassib), Rd 3 - ILB (Kentrell Brothers/Antonio Morrison/Josh Forrest), Rd 4 - NT (DJ Reader), 5 - WR (Tajae Sharpe), 6 - Development OT, 7 - Development pass rusher. Obviously with possible compensatory picks could pick development players at OT/DE/OLB a bit earlier.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unless Reggie Raglan is still available I don't see any other ILB that's worth a first round pick. I'd personally go with Hunter Henry at 27 (or even better, trade back and still get him) to help with our issues in the red zone and moving the chains - we can't put it all on Jordy, what if he re-injures.

While Henry is the only tight end worth of first-round consideration in this year´s draft I don´t consider him a fit for the Packers as the team needs an athletic TE capable of stretching a defense. Rodgers is fine in the red zone, he was tied for fifth at the position with eight TD catches.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I've been going back and forth on Henry, the Packers first round pick, positions of need and the FA market. Obviously, a lot of what the Packers do in the draft will depend on what they end up doing in the FA Market, including signing of their own. IMO the perfect scenario is they sign a quality FA TE and ILB and go into the draft without so much glaring need at those 2 positions. This allows TT to truly pick BPA and not have to reach to fill one of those two positions.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been going back and forth on Henry, the Packers first round pick, positions of need and the FA market. Obviously, a lot of what the Packers do in the draft will depend on what they end up doing in the FA Market, including signing of their own. IMO the perfect scenario is they sign a quality FA TE and ILB and go into the draft without so much glaring need at those 2 positions. This allows TT to truly pick BPA and not have to reach to fill one of those two positions.

Dream scenario to perfection.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think Thompson ever reaches to fill a perceived positional need. He will take BPA on their board or trade up/back to get the guy they want.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think Thompson ever reaches to fill a perceived positional need. He will take BPA on their board or trade up/back to get the guy they want.
This is an old argument on this board and among Packers fans generally. All I'll say here is there is a lot of evidence which contradicts your opinion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an old argument on this board and among Packers fans generally. All I'll say here is there is a lot of evidence which contradicts your opinion.

I definitely think there are some head scratchers but I also have never seen his actual player board in the war room...he very well may always draft BPA (on his board)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJV...explain how can you disagree with what I said?? Seriously? I trust you have seen it then?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
TJV...explain how can you disagree with what I said?? Seriously? I trust you have seen it then?
This is an old argument on this board...
Do a search and find one of the many threads discussing BPA vs. BVA vs. drafting for need. It's all been hashed, re-hashed, and hashed again. BTW, I'm glad Thompson doesn't draft purely BPA because that would lead to ridiculous results (for example multiple picks at low priority positions) and would be foolish IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do a search and find one of the many threads discussing BPA vs. BVA vs. drafting for need. It's all been hashed, re-hashed, and hashed again. BTW, I'm glad Thompson doesn't draft purely BPA because that would lead to ridiculous results (for example multiple picks at low priority positions) and would be foolish IMO.

But all I said is definitely some head scratchers have happened AND I have never seen the board myself. :D Whatever, just didn't make sense personally how that could be disagreed with ahah!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe those of you who think he doesn't draft BPA think he separates every player into a different level. I've come to believe he groups players into different value levels in terms of draft positioning.
As an example, how could anyone truly differentiate between player 149 and 153?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
But all I said is definitely some head scratchers have happened AND I have never seen the board myself. :D Whatever, just didn't make sense personally how that could be disagreed with ahah!
That's not all you said, "...he very well may always draft BPA (on his board)." That is what I disagreed with.
Maybe those of you who think he doesn't draft BPA think he separates every player into a different level. I've come to believe he groups players into different value levels in terms of draft positioning. As an example, how could anyone truly differentiate between player 149 and 153?
I mentioned the idea of talent tiers in the draft almost five years ago on this board but I still don't believe Thompson drafts BPA and again, I'm glad he doesn't.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe those of you who think he doesn't draft BPA think he separates every player into a different level. I've come to believe he groups players into different value levels in terms of draft positioning.
As an example, how could anyone truly differentiate between player 149 and 153?

I've posted it several times already but Andrew Brandt wrote in a story about the 2005 that the Packers have draft prospects divided into different tiers. Rodgers was one of the few examples of being a true BPA pick as he was the only player with a first-round grade left. Within a tier position of need obviously factors into a selection.

Members online

Latest posts