Position Rankings (OT, ILB, TE, OLB)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've had some busts in that area, I.e. Datone Jones and Perry. I think if Jaylon Smith is available when we're on the clock, that's the way you have to go. Probably won't happen, but it's possible.

Okay...to label them a bust is saying they are like a Harrell type pick. To now Perry has underperformed expectations somewhat but he is beginning to show he can be an above average contributor on this defense and may very well prove to be the fiscal secure future as well playing his role. Underachiever could be argued but a bust is a stretch. Cannot expect more than contribution from draft picks, starting and pro bowling is something you just can't expect.

Jones seems to be a slow learner or grower as well and again we've seen his ability in spurts this year...just the sheer number of years he's been here gives me pause to use the term bust...too early and he's still here...if a true bust he'd be gone already.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT could throw darts at a list of "top 10 best players available" and hit one that is BPA AND a "need" position of OT, TE, ILB & OLB.

Wouldn't mind seeing TT trade back into early round 2 and get another top 100 pick so that ALL 4 positions get a 2nd or 3rd round caliber pick.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT could throw darts at a list of "top 10 best players available" and hit one that is BPA AND a "need" position of OT, TE, ILB & OLB.

Wouldn't mind seeing TT trade back into early round 2 and get another top 100 pick so that ALL 4 positions get a 2nd or 3rd round caliber pick.
Even if QB is BPA, no reason not take the "Best Player Available". Ever under any circumstances.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if QB is BPA, no reason not take the "Best Player Available". Ever under any circumstances.
THAT would be a definite trade-back situation, with all of the QB needy teams. If the BPA is a QB that means some of: Cleveland, Dallas, San Fran, Philly, Houston, LA Rams and even Chicago have passed on a 1st round QB and would be looking to trade-back into the 1st round (for 5th year option-ability). TT won't take a QB in the 1st, but he'd be in a powerful place at #27.

As with Hundley, TT might draft a 5th or 6th round QB with hopes of developing and trading for a 2nd or 3rd (or trade up in 2nd or 1st).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Okay...to label them a bust is saying they are like a Harrell type pick. To now Perry has underperformed expectations somewhat but he is beginning to show he can be an above average contributor on this defense and may very well prove to be the fiscal secure future as well playing his role. Underachiever could be argued but a bust is a stretch. Cannot expect more than contribution from draft picks, starting and pro bowling is something you just can't expect.

Jones seems to be a slow learner or grower as well and again we've seen his ability in spurts this year...just the sheer number of years he's been here gives me pause to use the term bust...too early and he's still here...if a true bust he'd be gone already.

Maybe labelling Perry and Datone as busts is a bit harsh but there's no doubt in my mind both of them have been disappointing for first-round picks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe labelling Perry and Datone as busts is a bit harsh but there's no doubt in my mind both of them have been disappointing for first-round picks.

I'd agree with that, I still sense one of them at least is going to be above serviceable for us moving forward for a while. (I hope!)

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd agree with that, I still sense one of them at least is going to be above serviceable for us moving forward for a while. (I hope!)

It seems like Datone's value increased late last season once he lined up at OLB as well, hopefully he can continue to build on that. I expect Perry to sign with a team using a 4-3 defense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like Datone's value increased late last season once he lined up at OLB as well, hopefully he can continue to build on that. I expect Perry to sign with a team using a 4-3 defense.

Is Perry up this offseason or next? If next I could see a scenario where he stays. He's proven capable but never panned out for where we drafted him unless he explodes. If he doesn't play into a contract elsewhere he could be one of those "sign him back because price garners his ability and familiarity to the system" type retentions.

I agree, Jones I think will never explode into what we'd hoped but I agree, OLB may be a calling for him as he showed some flashes I liked and I'm sure the staff does as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is Perry up this offseason or next? If next I could see a scenario where he stays. He's proven capable but never panned out for where we drafted him unless he explodes. If he doesn't play into a contract elsewhere he could be one of those "sign him back because price garners his ability and familiarity to the system" type retentions.

Perry will be a free agent this offseason unless the Packers re-sign within the next few weeks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry will be a free agent this offseason unless the Packers re-sign within the next few weeks.

Okay in that case I think unless a team really makes a "head scratching" offer he's back on a short leash 2 year contract that is cost effective and may have some back end incentives handy as the carrot in front of the horse. I don't feel he's done enough to garner a ton of interest from other teams but enough to be serviceable here.

D

Deleted member 6794

Okay in that case I think unless a team really makes a "head scratching" offer he's back on a short leash 2 year contract that is cost effective and may have some back end incentives handy as the carrot in front of the horse. I don't feel he's done enough to garner a ton of interest from other teams but enough to be serviceable here.

It's no secret Perry wanted to play for a 4-3 defense entering the league and now he has a chance to pick a team I fully expect him to sign somewhere else.

Sky King

Reaction score
Perry was somewhat miscast in the 3-4 coming out of college. Injuries probably retarded his progress as an OLB as much as learning a new position and defense had done. The big "if" seems to be his health no matter what style of defense his current or next team plays.

Maybe TT and MM are counting on Barrington's return to good health lessening the need to draft an ILB as a priority. And Matthews returning to the OLB group may offset the departure of Perry. But then there's the matter of replacing Peppers in the not-so-distant future and the unpredictability of injuries.

Veteran depth would be nice and Perry is a veteran now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe TT and MM are counting on Barrington's return to good health lessening the need to draft an ILB as a priority. And Matthews returning to the OLB group may offset the departure of Perry.

I desperately hope the front office doesn't rely on Barrington being the answer at inside linebacker, especially with the coaching staff wanting to move Matthews outside again.

Sky King

Reaction score
I desperately hope the front office doesn't rely on Barrington being the answer at inside linebacker, especially with the coaching staff wanting to move Matthews outside again.
I share your concern. Barrington is another one of TT's/MM's projects. Veteran depth would be very helpful to the cause. It would not have to be a big ticket, All-Pro type of veteran, just somebody who doesn't hurt them.

We haven't mentioned yet another project, mystery man Carl Bradford, in this discussion. If they are counting heavily on unveiling him to back-fill the ILB position I may need to start drinking.

D

Deleted member 6794

I share your concern. Barrington is another one of TT's/MM's projects. Veteran depth would be very helpful to the cause. It would not have to be a big ticket, All-Pro type of veteran, just somebody who doesn't hurt them.

We haven't mentioned yet another project, mystery man Carl Bradford, in this discussion. If they are counting heavily on unveiling him to back-fill the ILB position I may need to start drinking.

I don't care if Thompson addresses the position via free agency or an early round draft pick. Just spending a fourth-rounder on it like last year wouldn't cut it for me though.

D

Deleted member 6794

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Who goes and who stays? Bradford can be added to the list, as well.

Neal will be re-signed, Perry leaves in free agency. Way too early to tell who's going to make the final 53 in September.

Sky King

Reaction score
It would not be a surprise to see Bradford, Palmer and Mulumba gone, as well. The back-end of this roster needs more talent or more improved play from the guys already there. I don't see many future Vikings, if you know what I mean. ;)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if Thompson addresses the position via free agency or an early round draft pick. Just spending a fourth-rounder on it like last year wouldn't cut it for me though.

I'm hoping with a first round ILB chosen this year we will look back on the Ryan pick in a year or two as sheer genius. I love the kids heart, work ethic and hustle to cover better than God seems to allowed him capable of. Basically I am hoping this go around Ryan (aka Hawk 2.0) will be everything we need him to be an not expected to be anything more...and we find that true athletic ILB finally. I pray! I hope! I beg!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the Packers defense can get by with Raji playing nose tackle, especially defending the run.

In addition the team played their base defense on only 17.7% of the snaps, so maybe you overvalue the NT position in Capers defense.

Or maybe they'd play more base defense with a decent NT...doesn't make sense to play a defense that depends on a poor player. Upgrade that player and you'll probably see more actual 3-4.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait...why don't we just have an elite player at every position?

Oh because it isn't possible. I love how everyone keeps wanting to get player "x" because player "y" isn't good enough or not decent or not elite or "think of how much better we'd be" with someone else...I get it, it can get frustrating but why in the world can some people not get it through their skulls you cannot break the bank in every spot on a team?

This rant brought to you (not by anyone specifically here) mainly by the person I just spoke to in real life that doesn't want us resigning anyone, and cutting some as well........SMH!

D

Deleted member 6794

Or maybe they'd play more base defense with a decent NT...doesn't make sense to play a defense that depends on a poor player. Upgrade that player and you'll probably see more actual 3-4.

Well, in 2010 with Raji playing on an elite level Capers used his base defense on only 25% of the snaps.

And BTW I'm really curious in your answer as to why the coaching staff decided to move their best player in Matthews to inside linebacker to improve the position if it isn't an important one on this side of the ball???

Members online

Latest posts