Position Rankings (OT, ILB, TE, OLB)

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's never too early to talk draft. We have about a week I guess before Alabama and Clemson players make up their mind on entering the draft early or not, so with that in mind I'd like to hear what you guys (non gender specific label) have to say about the available talent at 4 positions of potential upgrade, and necessary depth. The positions of OT, TE, ILB and OLB. Not listed in any particular order of importance. I know another WR or RB DL player would be nice too, but for now, I want to focus on what I consider our 4 most pressing needs.

Go ahead and list your top 4, in order, at each of these positions, and a short bit about why you have them ranked as you do if you want. I am interested in what other folks have to say other than the usual internet 'draft guru' big boards. If you want to add another position to the list, feel free.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our day 1 pick is a linebacker. Dream scenario, Jaylon Smith's knee injury in the Fiesta causes his stock to tumble and he's available to us late in the 1st. Unlikely, but would be sick.

I'll assume OL, TE, DL would be on day 2.

Tbh, it's gonna be slim pickings at OL even by just the end of the 2nd round I think. If Spriggs or Hawkins were still there, that'd be amazing, but unlikely. Joe Haeg and Willie Beavers... don't know squat about them, but I always like to take note of small school guys that project well and that could fly under the radar a bit due to limited exposure.

At TE, I don't really know. Only guys I've paid attention to have been Howard and Henry. I'm assuming everyone really wants a receiving TE. OJ Howard's game vs. Clemson probably put him in the late 1st or early to mid 2nd, so out of our reach. Think Henry is gone be gone by late 2nd too. So I dunno there...

At DL, have seen Nkemdiche fall in some mocks due to character red flags, but they seem minor enough that he'd be a disgustingly good value pick late in the 1st if that happened. Unlikely though. Same sort of goes for Buckner, though I'd be less enthusiastic about that. I'd also be excited to see Shawn Oakman in green in gold... he hasn't produced all *that* well in college, but he's built like a Greek god. I refuse to believe a guy with that body can't destroy people. He'll be a 2nd-3rd round guy. Guessing some team smitten with his potential will reach on him early to mid 2nd.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a stud ILB for sure. We could move Clay back outside if we did. From there, we could use a LT (I hope we go the FA route there personally) and then I'd like to have a TE and a WR in the draft. We need a WR other than Jordy that can take the top off a defense and "go get it". We need to get faster at WR. And yeah, more DL depth too.

I also think drafting a RB wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd like a RB more akin to a Sproles/Woodhead that can get out into passing routes and has a chance to take it to the house anytime he touches the ball anywhere on the field. More explosion backing up Lacy. In other words, more speed. Speed speed and speed needs to be our goal on offense headed into FA/draft.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think drafting a RB wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd like a RB more akin to a Sproles/Woodhead that can get out into passing routes and has a chance to take it to the house anytime he touches the ball anywhere on the field. More explosion backing up Lacy. In other words, more speed. Speed speed and speed needs to be our goal on offense headed into FA/draft.

Agreed on RB need. Unfortunately, the guy I want, Paul Perkins, would probably cost us a 2nd, and I just don't think the value is there. Think we take someone in mid rounds though. Maybe with one of those comp picks.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a stud ILB for sure. We could move Clay back outside if we did. From there, we could use a LT (I hope we go the FA route there personally) and then I'd like to have a TE and a WR in the draft. We need a WR other than Jordy that can take the top off a defense and "go get it". We need to get faster at WR. And yeah, more DL depth too.

Kenyan Drake, bigger than Sproles/Woodhead at 6'1 but excellent explosiveness. Projected as 3rd-4th

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to come down to who's available again I think. Best case, we find a good ILB and Clay can move back outside. I also think that means we keep at least Neal, possibly Perry. I don't think Perry is going to get much from anyone else because he's hurt so often and and a lower price I'd take his sporadic production when healthy as a role player on this team.

But with the possibility we're out Perry, Neal, and Peppers due to a cut or retirement, OLB suddenly becomes need as well. We could be filling there and keeping Clay in the middle again. I think it all depends on who's available. We have obvious needs, but we have flexibility too.

I don't think RB will be high on our list. I see Montgomery lining up all over next year, including the back field and I dont' think it's going to cost a lot to keep Starks. He's productive for us, but it's not like other teams don't have RB's just as productive all over this league. He's been a role player his entire career, and he's not getting younger. I just don't see a big FA contract coming for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think our day 1 pick is a linebacker. Dream scenario, Jaylon Smith's knee injury in the Fiesta causes his stock to tumble and he's available to us late in the 1st. Unlikely, but would be sick.

Smith would be a major risk because of the severe knee injury he suffered in the Fiesta Bowl.

I don't think Perry is going to get much from anyone else because he's hurt so often and and a lower price I'd take his sporadic production when healthy as a role player on this team.

I expect Perry to get a decent offer from a team playing a 4-3 defense. BTW he has only missed three games over the last two seasons.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith would be a major risk because of the severe knee injury he suffered in the Fiesta Bowl.

I expect Perry to get a decent offer from a team playing a 4-3 defense. BTW he has only missed three games over the last two seasons.

Sometimes you have to take a chance in the late 20s on a guy that's got the everything to be the next Patrick Willis.

Jabal Sheard got 5.5m a year from the Patriots last year. He averaged 4 sacks a season playing out of position as a 3-4 OLB and 8 sacks a season in his first two years playing as a 4-3 DE.
I think that's the most you can expect any team to offer to Neal or Perry. A lot will depend on what they do with Peppers this offseason...

D

Deleted member 6794

Sometimes you have to take a chance in the late 20s on a guy that's got the everything to be the next Patrick Willis.

Well, with the Packers needing upgrades at several positions for next season I wouldn't be excited about Thompson spending a first-round pick on a prospect most likely not playing as a rookie at all.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He might, and I know he's been in a lot of games, but he always seems to have a shoulder problem or something that affects his effectiveness. When he's strong and healthy he shows up completely different in his play. At least that's how it looks to me. When he's playing hurt he's not nearly the same play in my eyes, and it seems to be pretty often.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith has top-5 talent and plays at a position of need. Guys are recovering from ACLs faster every year, and he could be back within 6 months, or July-August. Even on a more realistic timetable, he's a 9 month rehab and ready to game by October. To me that's a no brainer and the only way we're going to acquire young talent of his caliber at any point during Arod's tenure here, cos we're never going to be much better than pick #20.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jaylon Smith has top-5 talent and plays at a position of need. Guys are recovering from ACLs faster every year, and he could be back within 6 months, or July-August. Even on a more realistic timetable, he's a 9 month rehab and ready to game by October. To me that's a no brainer and the only way we're going to acquire young talent of his caliber at any point during Arod's tenure here, cos we're never going to be much better than pick #20.

Most ACL injuries take close to a year for NFL players to return. Smith suffered an LCL tear as well so I don't expect him to play in 2016. With the Packers being only some pieces away from a Super Bowl contender I'd rather have Thompson select a player providing an impact immediately in the first round.

In addition there's no guarantee he will be the same player after returning from injury.

Yeats

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not certain what Jordy we're going to see after he comes back from injury, and it's evident how much we miss him even now. I'd like to see another competent WR among our ranks.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most ACL injuries take close to a year for NFL players to return. Smith suffered an LCL tear as well so I don't expect him to play in 2016. With the Packers being only some pieces away from a Super Bowl contender I'd rather have Thompson select a player providing an impact immediately in the first round.

In addition there's no guarantee he will be the same player after returning from injury.

I can see where you're coming from. I'm in the opposite camp, I can't pass up that kind of value pick even if it means only benefitting from it a year later.
I'd love to see us sign Derrick Johnson to a one/two year deal and draft Smith if he's still on the board. Wishful thinking on my part, I'd be shocked if he falls into the 20s.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not certain what Jordy we're going to see after he comes back from injury, and it's evident how much we miss him even now. I'd like to see another competent WR among our ranks.

Was holding out hope that Mike Williams might declare, but it looks like he's staying in college 2016. He was another one of those guys that is really really freaking good, but could have been available later since he was injured this year. Probably gonna play himself into the top-20 in 2016 now and end up in Detroit or some other hellhole.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaylon smith is a no brainer despite his injury. He could play ilb or olb much the same way Clay Matthews is used. That would be a nightmare for opposing offenses. If he falls to our pick in the first which he unfortunatly likely will not. But if he does you start him on pup and he should be ready sometime in that week 6-9 window

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
If Darron Lee is available (I do not think he will be), that's the guy. An athletic OLB that can be developed and seasoned by Clay and Peppers. Kid is an absolute stud. Agile, fast, aggressive, everything the packers defense needs. Also he is very young, many years out of him and will benefit from the Packer's organization (aka he will not end up being a total idiot off the field). Next is OL. Next is TE. ILB. DE. ILB. OL.

Reaction score
OT : a guy with proper size and quickness like Jerald Hawkins from LSU if the situation presents itself or he slips rounds. I'd have a FA veteran already signed short term before draft and him as an understudy/successor/backup.
OLB : Jordan Jenkins 6'3" 246 has good size to build on. I like his 9.5 tackles for loss, 70 tackles and 5 sacks. If he's still available in mid rounds or with a compensatory pick.
WR : at 6'4, TCUs Josh Docston has the height and leaping ability to complement Jordy as a back shoulder and vertical threat. His video shows he possesses A deceptive breakaway speed, unique ability and Strong concentration to track the ball with superior agility skills in getting underneath it and good hands. He reminds me of a slightly smaller R Moss.
TE: we have been in search of a stud since Jermichael.. One who opens up opposing Defenses and has to be respected both as a receiver and blocker. I really think this is an immediate need and I also think Aaron needs a physical "move the chains" guy similar to Antonio Gates. We desperately need a proven product with 1-2 more years in the tank. Very similar to an Offensive version of Peppers but without that price tag because of age etc.. I think if we had a dominant TE it would change the entire complexity of our Offense and it would require Defenses to reconsider us as a true passing threat In 2016.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Jaylon smith is a no brainer despite his injury. He could play ilb or olb much the same way Clay Matthews is used. That would be a nightmare for opposing offenses. If he falls to our pick in the first which he unfortunatly likely will not. But if he does you start him on pup and he should be ready sometime in that week 6-9 window

Smith returning in week 6-9 is way too optimistic.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt that Smith has the talent, but he's most likely not going to play at all in 2016. We really need that spot upgraded now. I honestly don't know if I'd pass on him, but I'm willing to bet that a team that doesn't have a win now mentality will snatch him up before that.

I agree that this team needs to focus on speed in this draft. On both sides. We need fast linebackers and some speed threats on offense. I really want us to go with OJ Howard if he falls and if not I'm looking for a burner on the outside.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I can see a team like the 49'ers who are in rebuilding mode as well as in need of help at Linebacker, trading back from their 7th position to a place they think Jaylon Smith will still be available. He may not play in 2016, which they don't need, but all signs point to him being really good.

I highly highly doubt Smith will slip far enough for TT to even consider him.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Even if it turned out to be a good long-term pick, I can just imagine the **** storm directed at Thompson if he picked a player unlikely to play in 2016. And what if, after returning to the field Smith got injured again? :eek: BTW, Kiper has the Jets taking him at #20.

Of course it won't stop speculation but IMO serious discussions of needs have to wait until it's clear which players are re-signed. For example, if both Raji and Guion are re-signed, the team's needs are much different vs. if neither is.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a lot of directions this team could go after this season concludes in February. I see most of those directions being positive, but of course it depends on certain things happening. Peppers, Guion Raji, Neal, Perry, etc. But having a guy like matthews and the flexibility it gives us will help.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Draft talk at this point, although interesting, is somewhat pointless when it comes to predicting what the Packers will do in the draft. As TJV pointed out, the Packers draft day will most likely be influenced a lot by what players of their own they resign AND....a big IF.....we actually sign any FA's. Add to this the same schedule for the other 31 teams.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey folks, I didn't ask for thoughts on who or what position we would pick but rather who you think are the top options at the positions of TE, ILB, OLB and OT. I'm seeing a few names out here but not many. Possible draft pick considerations are way down the road, I just wanted to know who people thought were the best options at these 4 positions.

Members online

Latest posts