Position Rankings (OT, ILB, TE, OLB)

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For TE it has to be Henry from Alabama. I know it was a college game but I saw speed, hands, and awareness that will make him a monster in the NFL. The only problem is that 31 other teams saw that as well and I highly doubt Henry lasts long enough into the first round that he falls into our laps. Then again, we never thought we had a chance at Ha-Ha and look where he is now.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For TE it has to be Henry from Alabama. I know it was a college game but I saw speed, hands, and awareness that will make him a monster in the NFL. The only problem is that 31 other teams saw that as well and I highly doubt Henry lasts long enough into the first round that he falls into our laps. Then again, we never thought we had a chance at Ha-Ha and look where he is now.

you're talking about OJ Howard. he's staying in school. hunter henry plays for arkansas.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey folks, I didn't ask for thoughts on who or what position we would pick but rather who you think are the top options at the positions of TE, ILB, OLB and OT. I'm seeing a few names out here but not many. Possible draft pick considerations are way down the road, I just wanted to know who people thought were the best options at these 4 positions.
Well that's difficult to answer, since most of us have seen maybe one guy from each position. Maybe I'll do some research on the top prospects and give my take, but I'm feeling too lazy at the moment.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) NT - currently no impact player at NT on the team and it would be really cool to see this defense with a good NT for the first time since 2010...add to that the fact that interior Dline is the deepest position in this draft and the chances of the Packers getting a great player in the first round are high

2) This depends on Peppers/Perry; if both leave then OLB becomes the second highest need. How many years did the Packers search for a complement for Matthews and they never found one until Thompson signed Peppers. If one or both stay then I'd put ILB here so that Matthews can move back out to OLB.

3) WR/TE - would prefer WR since rookie TEs don't amount to much in the NFL.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) NT - currently no impact player at NT on the team and it would be really cool to see this defense with a good NT for the first time since 2010...add to that the fact that interior Dline is the deepest position in this draft and the chances of the Packers getting a great player in the first round are high

Sunshine, I think we have a solid DL and should get better next year simply by Pennel gaining experience. (If we sign both Raji and Guion) I think we can resign both to multi-year mid level contracts that aren't outragious. Both are in the latter half of their careers and won't garner very high offers elsewhere. If we can draft a mid to late round project with upside, that should be fine. I think our impact player on D this year may be a pair of LB's, inside and out, that could upgrade and replace Peppers should he retire. Until we here from JP on his plans for next year and we start to see some in-house FA signings, it will hard to plan any draft strategy.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sunshine, I think we have a solid DL and should get better next year simply by Pennel gaining experience. (If we sign both Raji and Guion) I think we can resign both to multi-year mid level contracts that aren't outragious. Both are in the latter half of their careers and won't garner very high offers elsewhere. If we can draft a mid to late round project with upside, that should be fine. I think our impact player on D this year may be a pair of LB's, inside and out, that could upgrade and replace Peppers should he retire. Until we here from JP on his plans for next year and we start to see some in-house FA signings, it will hard to plan any draft strategy.

I keep hearing the calls for a high round ILB but people need to look around the league. There are, what, maybe 3-4 difference making ILBs in the NFL? I can only name 2 (Kuechly and Burfict). Why would the Packers spend a high round pick on a position that just doesn't make much of a difference in the NFL? I get that the Packers have been really weak there but ILB is not a first (or even really a second round) round value position. In the first round you can get difference makers at dline (WAAYYYY more important than ILB).

Not sure if anyone has seen anything from Pennel that would make them confident in his ability to be a good/great NT. Yes, there's "hope" that he'll grow into one but considering how important the NT position is in a 3-4 (something that many Packers fans have forgotten since this defense has gotten by without one for 5 years), I would think trying to find a dominant guy would be important.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB > TE > OT > DL are my new "needs" order for our team. I'd also throw in WR and RB in there. But not as dire.

D

Deleted member 6794

I keep hearing the calls for a high round ILB but people need to look around the league. There are, what, maybe 3-4 difference making ILBs in the NFL? I can only name 2 (Kuechly and Burfict). Why would the Packers spend a high round pick on a position that just doesn't make much of a difference in the NFL? I get that the Packers have been really weak there but ILB is not a first (or even really a second round) round value position. In the first round you can get difference makers at dline (WAAYYYY more important than ILB).

Not sure if anyone has seen anything from Pennel that would make them confident in his ability to be a good/great NT. Yes, there's "hope" that he'll grow into one but considering how important the NT position is in a 3-4 (something that many Packers fans have forgotten since this defense has gotten by without one for 5 years), I would think trying to find a dominant guy would be important.

Yesterday´s conference championships served as proof how valuable elite inside linebackers are to a defense. The Packers have lacked an above average player for several seasons as of now and it´s time for Thompson to finally address the position with either a free agent or an early draft pick.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yesterday´s conference championships served as proof how valuable elite inside linebackers are to a defense. The Packers have lacked an above average player for several seasons as of now and it´s time for Thompson to finally address the position with either a free agent or an early draft pick.

I was really hoping Bradford with his athleticism it would click for him, but negative so far (stretch and dice roll I know...but I thought a small chance was there). We gotta force this issue this year and one must be plucked either in FA or Draft...if we go draft I think we need a early rounder and a backup mid rounder built in the same mold athletic potential ILB

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If there are only 2 difference makers at ILB in the NFL, why is everybody whining about need for an upgrade at ILB including MM saying he wants CM3 back outside next year. If he couldn't get him there this year, who we going to get so we can get him there next year?

I agree DL and OL are core needs on every team. QB aside, they are what make everything else work well. Having said that, if we re-sign our DL FA's, we have a pretty good line. Graded best unit on last year's team. Pennel is looking like a DE going forward for the Pack and is making the strides I have expected from him from the start. I see him doing nothing but getting better. He's a hard worker and brings lots of energy. We can then draft some development guys for depth on both lines this year, as long as we re-sign Raji and Guion. If any of them turn out like Bahk or Linsley then we as sitting sweet.

I would lean heavily toward picking up a TE in round 1 if we can get Henry. Then going LB in round two. I think we can get equal or better talent at both ILB and OLB in rounds 2&3 compared to who we have right now (backup for OLB). If we can do that, providing we re-sign our DL guys, we should have an even better defense next year with a new middle of the field mismatch threat at TE. With Jordy and Ty-Mon coming back, that's looking awfully nice to me.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In short, my goal would be to sign our starter FA's, sign our best backups, as cap permits, then draft backups for the ones we can't or don't want to re-sign. Don't let the starter quality drop. If we do this, we should be able to upgrade at least 3 positions in the draft. TE, ILB and you pick the third. And bring in fresh bodies to see who can step up and be that next diamond in the rough. Maybe Schobert, a possible special teams beast while giving him a year to learn the system behind Peppers and gain some weight. I like that prospect. I like Wisconsin walk-ons who worked themselves into stars. Great leader qualities, love the work ethic!

Reaction score
Well that's difficult to answer, since most of us have seen maybe one guy from each position. Maybe I'll do some research on the top prospects and give my take, but I'm feeling too lazy at the moment.
You may be suffering from "PLTD" Postseason Loss Trauma Disorder.
I have personally noticed my energy levels have been depleted after that OT loss. :sleep:
I am consulting with Social workers and grief Counselors to provide a toll free # for next years playoffs to deal with thoughts of suicide, sudden unprovoked violent outbursts (breaking tv remotes etc..) Packer fan attacks and a feelings of abandonment and the onset of fan retaliation towards fellow Packer players and coaches ;)

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As I said, there are about 4 actual impact ILBs in the NFL. Does anyone really think the Packers are drafting Kuechly this year? It's easy to say "we need a great ILB" while also ignoring the fact that the Broncos don't really have an elite ILB, they simply have good ILBs...btw, Trevathan was drafted in 6th round and Marshall was drafted in the 5th round. So even the "good" ILBs on the Broncos were not high round picks.

Unless you think the Packers are going to draft one of the top-5 ILBs in the entire NFL with a high round pick (in an NFL draft that's weak at ILB), picking an ILB that high is spending way too much on a position that just doesn't matter nearly as much as the dline, corner or edge rusher.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there are only 2 difference makers at ILB in the NFL, why is everybody whining about need for an upgrade at ILB including MM saying he wants CM3 back outside next year. If he couldn't get him there this year, who we going to get so we can get him there next year?

I agree DL and OL are core needs on every team. QB aside, they are what make everything else work well. Having said that, if we re-sign our DL FA's, we have a pretty good line. Graded best unit on last year's team. Pennel is looking like a DE going forward for the Pack and is making the strides I have expected from him from the start. I see him doing nothing but getting better. He's a hard worker and brings lots of energy. We can then draft some development guys for depth on both lines this year, as long as we re-sign Raji and Guion. If any of them turn out like Bahk or Linsley then we as sitting sweet.

I would lean heavily toward picking up a TE in round 1 if we can get Henry. Then going LB in round two. I think we can get equal or better talent at both ILB and OLB in rounds 2&3 compared to who we have right now (backup for OLB). If we can do that, providing we re-sign our DL guys, we should have an even better defense next year with a new middle of the field mismatch threat at TE. With Jordy and Ty-Mon coming back, that's looking awfully nice to me.

There's a massive difference between an "elite" ILB and what the Packers currently have on the roster (which I would term as special teams depth). First round TEs pretty much never do anything in their rookie years. Raji and Guion both had sub-par years so I'm not sure about the rush to depend on them to man a key piece of the defense. Dline should ALWAYS be a high round pick, if only for depth and the importance of that position to a defense. I will never believe that a team has enough elite players on the dline. The Giants won two Super Bowls by having "too many" dlinemen.

It's also easy to look at the dline grading as the best but then not look into why...the dline has the best player on the defense on it, who makes up a third of the entire grade. The linebacking group's best player was out of position all year and the secondary was in flux with injuries to Burnett and rookies playing significant snaps. You have to look at that dline grade and take it with a grain of salt.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reports are coming out that the Packers talked at length with Ragland at the Senior Bowl weigh in this morning. This allowed them to talk to him before their allotted 60 draft meetings. Might want to rethink that "We're not gonna get an ILB!" Sunshine. :tup:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's a player there that Ted wants, he will got get them. he just doesn't do these things carefree. If Reggie is going to be gone by 20 and Ted wants him because he thinks he's worth it, i think he'd go get him. But none of us will ever know if he thinks he's worth it or not until it happens

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moving up even just to 20 from 27 is a very expensive thing to do. He would need to be absolutely certain that it was the guy to make that move and he'd need a willing trade partner, which is easier said than done. I feel like he'd be more inclined to make a move like that to draft an injured Jaylon Smith than Reggie. Ragland is not the prospect Mosley was, and we didn't move up on him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think it's likely either, but if they really thought he was that difference maker, I think they'd give up a lot to get him.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. Dline should ALWAYS be a high round pick, if only for depth and the importance of that position to a defense..
Mike Pennel, up and comer backup on DL. Undrafted FA. You get guys wherever you can get them. You don't have to use high draft picks on them. Same with OL. Bahk, Lindsley, Tauscher Also look at Datone Jones, no better than Pennel if even as good and he a 1st rounder.

Sorry, but no sale. You can get Pro Bowl players from UDFA as well as the 1st round in any position probably except QB. But then again, Bart Star wasn't taken until like the 17th round...in today's draft, that pretty much equates to UDFA.

You take the player that has the best possible chance of being an immediate impact player in round 1. Preferably, at a position you have need in. It doesn't always work out that way, sometimes I wonder if it happens half the time. Last year we hit the jackpot. We will get value again this year, the questions on everybody's mind is, who and what position? And after last year's draft, we all should know by now, TT doesn't think like Mel Kiper and the rest of the Draft Guru's out there. He's in a universe all by himself.

Lastly, even if the ILB isn't a Brian Urlacher level of talent, as long as he improves the position good enough to get CM3 back outside, then not only did we upgrade the ILB position, we also upgraded our OLB position as well, all in one pick.

In the end, nobody knows until the name is called on day 1. When we get that name, we'll have a blast ripping it or praising it or once again, stare at the screen and wonder what just happened again like last year. Until then, keep on putting it out there Sunshine, good debate is good for the off season!! Go Pack

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Pennel, up and comer backup on DL. Undrafted FA. You get guys wherever you can get them. You don't have to use high draft picks on them. Same with OL. Bahk, Lindsley, Tauscher Also look at Datone Jones, no better than Pennel if even as good and he a 1st rounder.

Sorry, but no sale. You can get Pro Bowl players from UDFA as well as the 1st round in any position probably except QB. But then again, Bart Star wasn't taken until like the 17th round...in today's draft, that pretty much equates to UDFA.

You take the player that has the best possible chance of being an immediate impact player in round 1. Preferably, at a position you have need in. It doesn't always work out that way, sometimes I wonder if it happens half the time. Last year we hit the jackpot. We will get value again this year, the questions on everybody's mind is, who and what position? And after last year's draft, we all should know by now, TT doesn't think like Mel Kiper and the rest of the Draft Guru's out there. He's in a universe all by himself.

Lastly, even if the ILB isn't a Brian Urlacher level of talent, as long as he improves the position good enough to get CM3 back outside, then not only did we upgrade the ILB position, we also upgraded our OLB position as well, all in one pick.

In the end, nobody knows until the name is called on day 1. When we get that name, we'll have a blast ripping it or praising it or once again, stare at the screen and wonder what just happened again like last year. Until then, keep on putting it out there Sunshine, good debate is good for the off season!! Go Pack

Really? Please let me know how many Pro Bowl UDFA dlinemen have been in the NFl recently...go on, I'll wait. I'll even guess that there are very few late-round (say round 4 or later) Pro Bowl dlinemen in the NFL. Dlinemen go FAST in the draft.

Upgrading the ILB positions shouldn't take a high round pick! The Broncos have very good ILBs and they're fifth and sixth round guys! ILBs, unless you're getting a super elite guy, are guys that get drafted in later rounds for a reason.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dlinemen do go fast, it's also interesting that if you look up biggest busts in the 1st round, it seems to be dominated by the big guys too. Picking players isn't easy that's for sure.

on a side note, Pennel might not be a pro bowler, but i do think he's growing into a nice player for us

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Please let me know how many Pro Bowl UDFA dlinemen have been in the NFl recently...go on, I'll wait. I'll even guess that there are very few late-round (say round 4 or later) Pro Bowl dlinemen in the NFL. Dlinemen go FAST in the draft.

Upgrading the ILB positions shouldn't take a high round pick! The Broncos have very good ILBs and they're fifth and sixth round guys! ILBs, unless you're getting a super elite guy, are guys that get drafted in later rounds for a reason.
We don't need pro bowlers. We need 'solid'. Anything above that is gravy. Right now, we are a few players short of an elite 'D' and NT isn't one of them. Not that it wouldn't make it better. As for UDFA pro bowlers, who cares, it's all a fan frenzy popularity vote anyway. Not that the best guys actually get voted to go. In short, the pro bowl is not my measuring stick for guys I would want on my team, it's their performance on the field.

Now, if TT lets Raji and Guion walk in FA, then it's an entirely different story. Also, i don't have an aversion to drafting a DT at all, as long as we can get upgrades at TE and ILB. I think we can also get some long term talant at OLB, nad OT as well. G is also a projected need next year we may want to address as well. It's a great time of year, the season of speculation.

Sunshine, who do you think will drop to #27 for us to take at DT after all the other teams in the NFL pick the high end talent ahead of us? Who's your favorite guy, 'likely' to fall that far? Not the best in class, they'll be gone long before we get to them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts