Poppinga and Jones

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
540 ESPN Milwaukee

[FONT=&quot]GREEN BAY – Brady Poppinga was on top of his conversational game Wednesday. In the span of five minutes, he delivered a Biblical reference, drew a bizarre evolution metaphor involving some sort of pterodactyl, slipped into his professional wrestler shtick and used the word “dude” at least three times.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Green Bay Packers can only hope that the veteran linebacker gets after quarterbacks the way he was attacking the English language.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With Aaron Kampman having defected to the Jacksonville Jaguars in free agency and general manager Ted Thompson opting not to sign a free agent or use a high draft pick on an outside linebacker, the Packers are counting on either Poppinga or Brad Jones, an eight-game starter as a rookie last year following Kampman’s season-ending knee injury, to emerge not only as a starter but as a viable pass-rushing threat.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Both Poppinga and Jones spoke to reporters in the locker room following Wednesday’s open organized team activity practice, and Poppinga talked the better game. A pass-rushing left outside linebacker who had six sacks during his senior year at BYU in 2004, Poppinga said his biggest challenge this offseason has been to unlearn the passive style of play he adopted while playing in the Packers’ 4-3 defense from 2005 through 2008.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“C’mon. Is that even a question? Obviously I think I can be more than that,” Poppinga replied when asked whether he can win the starting job opposite Matthews. “It’s about being more than a starter for me. My goal is to be an elite, dominant, relentless pass-rusher in this scheme. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“It’s a matter of allowing the pass-rusher inside of me to re-emerge. You know, I had to kill him off for a couple years because what I did then was in such conflict with being a rusher. It’s a matter of breaking those habits that I developed for four years of playing off the ball in a 4-3 defense and resurrecting like Lazarus from the dead the pass-rusher I came out of college as. That’s really where my focus is at.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It’s unclear exactly how Poppinga and Jones are rotating with the No. 1 defense during OTAs. At the May 19 practice, the first of four open to the media and public, Poppinga worked with the first-string, while Jones worked with the 1s on Wednesday. Following the May 19 workout, defensive coordinator Dom Capers said Jones was the starter, even though Poppinga appeared to be ahead of him that day.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“The way we finished up last year, it’s Brad (as the starter), and Brady we like because he’s experienced enough that he can go at either side and bring something to the table there,” Capers said. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Whoever it is, the Packers need the left outside linebacker to be a major threat. They fully expect opponents to double-team Pro Bowl right outside linebacker Clay Matthews the way the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Arizona Cardinals did all game long in the Packers’ season-ending NFC playoff loss in January, so they’ll need to generate more pressure from elsewhere.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Asked about the position Wednesday, Packers coach Mike McCarthy suggested that the pressure could come from other places than just the left side.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Brady Poppinga is having a heck of a spring, Brad is having a heck of a spring, and also Clay Matthews is coming off a Pro Bowl season. I feel very good about those three guys right now,” McCarthy said. “(But) I think you need to look at the whole picture. I think you need to look at the depth of the defensive line. You've got some young players in here that are going to have an opportunity. Also we have some inside linebackers that have pass-rush ability. We're in Year 2 of our defensive system. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I feel very good about the added personnel groups and the added combinations of different personnel that Dom and the defensive staff have come up with.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That may be true, but Poppinga knows full well that the most dangerous 3-4 defenses have productive pass rushers coming from both edges. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“If you look historically, that’s a lot of what they experience. And the team right now that does it really well is the Pittsburgh Steelers with Lamarr Woodley and James Harrison,” Poppinga said. “(If) you have two guys that are causing havoc, it really puts the offense in a bind and it really makes this defense go the way it’s meant to go.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Packers are excited to see what Jones can do with a full offseason in the team’s strength and conditioning program, along with full participation in the OTAs and training camp. As a rookie seventh-round pick out of Colorado last year, Jones missed the first two weeks of camp with a back injury but played well after Kampman tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee Nov. 22 against San Francisco.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Brad kind of came out of nowhere last year, started, what, those last seven (regular-season) games for us?” Capers said. “We liked what we saw in Brad. He responded well when Aaron went down, and we played pretty good defensive football with him in there. So hopefully he can pick up.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Capers estimated that Jones has added 10 pounds this offseason, and although Jones looks bigger than his listed 239 pounds, he wasn’t saying how much weight he’d gained. Jones said it’s what he’s gained in terms of experience and understanding of Capers’ scheme that really matters.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“When you get here, and they might not say it, but the rookies this year, you get to OTAs, you’re swimming. You’re mentally just trying to figure out what you’re doing,” Jones said. “This year, it’s completely different. I know what I’m doing. It’s just about tweaking your game and making everything better, getting everything to the pinnacle.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I think I’m good at making something out of a little bit, so with the knowledge that I have, I think I’m definitely going to improve. It’s hard for me to tell you exactly what I’m going to do, but I think I’m definitely going to make some leaps this year as far as production. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I did show something last year. I only played half the season, but I’m definitely going to show some more this year. It’s crazy to look back on (last year), but I don’t want to say I was surprised because you always want to have confidence in yourself. It was a whirlwind, but it was a fun ride.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Much like a conversation with Poppinga, who can’t wait to show what he can do once he regains his pass-rushing mojo and the coaches “unleash” him (his word).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Ask anyone who knows me, I’m one of the most impatient dudes in America, second to Clay Matthews,” Poppinga said. If you think of evolution, between a dinosaur and a bird, there’s that era where it’s half-dinosaur but it still has feathers, you know? That’s how I felt last year.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I’m a guy that’s an aggressive, just (an) always-going kind of guy. And this scheme allows me to be that way. Whereas when you’re in a 4-3 (like) the one we implemented in Green Bay, (it) required that I bridled my passions so to speak. So I really had to keep things in control, in check. I really couldn’t let myself go all the time unless I was blitzing. So this caters to my personality a lot more.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Listen to Jason Wilde every weekday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. on “Green & Gold Today,” and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/jasonjwilde.[/FONT]]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cmon. It's nice to think that Poppinga could be the solution, but really?

In the end, he's just going to jump in the pile after the play is dead.

I hope I'm wrong, but I know I'm not...

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
poppinga? really?

So where was he in 2009??

Season Team
Tackles Interceptions Fumbles G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF 2009 Green Bay Packers 15 3 23 16 7 1.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0
Is he talkin out of his rear? I know he was like 2nd/3rd String and you are not always directly involved in the play, but obviously something was lacking to allow a 7th Round rookie to step up ahead of Poppinga...sounds more like Poppinga is full of excuses...take a lesson from Andre Johnson..."Actions speak louder then words, so I do my talkin on the football field."

...not in your locker room, Poppinga is gone after this season unless something happens, he's lucky Jeremy Thompson had to retire

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So where was he in 2009??

Season Team
Tackles Interceptions Fumbles G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF 2009 Green Bay Packers 15 3 23 16 7 1.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0
Is he talkin out of his rear? I know he was like 2nd/3rd String and you are not always directly involved in the play, but obviously something was lacking to allow a 7th Round rookie to step up ahead of Poppinga...sounds more like Poppinga is full of excuses...take a lesson from Andre Johnson..."Actions speak louder then words, so I do my talkin on the football field."

...not in your locker room, Poppinga is gone after this season unless something happens, he's lucky Jeremy Thompson had to retire

Not only that but rookie Clay Matthews beat him out for the starting spot 3 games into the season. That really shows how effective Poppinga really is.....

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poppinga is a blow hole. Big talker - not much on the field.

He may be able to crack the 53-man again this year, but only because Thompson did not draft an OLB and has not yet acquired one through trade or free agency. It would not be shocking to me if TT ends up trading a lineman for an OLB during cutdown time (like the Martin for Moll trade last year) and Poppinga is the odd-man out.

He is not a good pass rusher and is limited in his ability to cover. Besides he is 30 years old and not a guy that we should be grooming for a starting role in the future. I would much rather see a younger, developmental guy in his slot.

Members online

Latest posts