Playoffs - Who Scares You?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
That's the chess game. A smart coach would be looking ahead though. I definitely am in the camp of not fixing what ain't broken. However, that doesn't mean that you don't have a plan in place. I would ride a successful Game Plan A into the second half, but develop Game Plans B and C during halftime (hopefully calling up game plans that were developed during the week) so that they were ready to deploy at any point in the second half. Good coaches are thinking several moves ahead.
I think this is it. I would imagine a lot of coaches go in at halftime and think okay we're up 24-10. Offense is rolling, so maybe we shouldn't change much right now. But the question should be asked "if we were in the other locker room right now, what would we do to slow down this offense". And be prepared to adjust accordingly.

As you astutely pointed out, the ability to transition from plan A to B, C, or even D and having those plans ready to deploy if needed are what ultimately separates good coaching from great coaching.

I think LaFleur and his staff do an outstanding job. But there's a little left to be desired in the adjustments department. LaFleur is still young and trying to figure out all of the nuances. I wouldn't expect him to have all of the answers in year 2, but it's something that will need continued improvement if the Packers are to maximize their full ability.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Last night illustrated why I originally replied by saying the Rams scare me in the playoffs more than the other NFC teams. They run the ball well and are willing to stick to it. The Packers are obviously susceptible to this, and the LAR defense is so good that they can keep their offense in a game script to continue running. I think they'd be a huge challenge for the Packers, and it would come down to LaFleur and Rodgers building a lead against that excellent defense in order to get them out of their running ways.

I would rather deal with the Seahawks, Saints, or Bucs than the Rams.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the Rams last night, they definitely are the scariest team in the NFC. I was wondering what took them so long to put Cam Akers as their #1 RB, he's capable of that every game as the second coming of Dalvin Cook. (I'm suprised the Vikes didn't snipe him themselves as insurance and a bargaining chip for Cook's contract!)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Last night illustrated why I originally replied by saying the Rams scare me in the playoffs more than the other NFC teams. They run the ball well and are willing to stick to it. The Packers are obviously susceptible to this, and the LAR defense is so good that they can keep their offense in a game script to continue running. I think they'd be a huge challenge for the Packers, and it would come down to LaFleur and Rodgers building a lead against that excellent defense in order to get them out of their running ways.

I would rather deal with the Seahawks, Saints, or Bucs than the Rams.
Admittedly I haven't watched much of the Rams this year, but watched the entire game against the Patriots. Though the Patriots have some glaring issues, they beat them soundly. That's impressive anytime you can do that against Belichick.

For as many weaknesses as the Patriots have, the Rams have just as few weaknesses. They are sound really in every aspect, As you mentioned the other day though, the saving grace is that when the money is on the line, I think Goff will fold like a banquet chair especially if the game is at Lambeau.

You're definitely right about that being the scariest team right now.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If the playoffs started today these would be the matchups...

NFC:

Vikings at Packers
Bucs at Rams
Seahawks at Giants

Saints - bye

AFC:

Colts at Chiefs
Dolphins at Bills
Browns at Titans

Steelers - bye

So many good matchups. I was on the fence about adding the 7th playoff team, as I ultimately feel like it's starting to get too easy to make the playoffs. But one thing is for sure. We the fans certainly win big time on wild card weekend.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many good matchups. I was on the fence about adding the 7th playoff team, as I ultimately feel like it's starting to get too easy to make the playoffs. But one thing is for sure. We the fans certainly win big time on wild card weekend.

Good for League.

Good for the Fans.

Good for the Packers Salary Cap Projections.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the Rams last night, they definitely are the scariest team in the NFC. I was wondering what took them so long to put Cam Akers as their #1 RB, he's capable of that every game as the second coming of Dalvin Cook. (I'm suprised the Vikes didn't snipe him themselves as insurance and a bargaining chip for Cook's contract!)
Imo no they're not. They played against a team whose QB is a shell of his former self and most of their players are either injured or took the season off. They'll be good one week, and mediocre to horrible another week.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who scares me in the playoffs?

Whoever comes out of the tunnel at halftime.... I don’t know if other teams adjust better? Or we make incorrect adjustments? Or cliche “motivation stuff”, which should not be an issue at this level. But.... this is a BAD second half team...
It's almost like they go into the locker room at half and spend 10 minutes patting each other on the back. When they're ahead, as they have been, they need to anticipate how the other team will respond.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tampa's D is being figured out.(inside running and passing). The Saints have a safety that plays linebacker(tight end double tight passing). The Rams are flat out tough to conquer due to Donald who is a complete Reggie White type, along with Ramsey who is a shut down player. Seattle could easily pull a genie act if Russ is sharp. I like the NFC this year, but whomever comes out of it will be facing better in the AFC I think.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't sure just where to share the thought, but here seems as good as any. Multiple teams worry me, but honestly with this defense ANY playoff team gives me some worry for sure.

However, I still think this defense is geared around bending and hoping for a big play - last year we had 17 INTs and 12 FFs.....with only 3 games left we sit at 8 and 8.

Sacks are surprisingly close...we are at 35 presently and we had 41 last year. That struck me as crazy, given the down year Preston is having in this category...but Gary and Keke boosts have helped offset in sacks at least.

Our defense is giving up around 5 points more per game this year...but our offense is scoring around 8 points more per game than last as well. Big play turnovers or just one or two big 3rd down sacks is all this defense needs with the offense clicking the way it is.

The bad thing is our defense hasn't hit all cylinders yet...the good thing is our defense hasn't hit all cylinders yet. IF it starts clicking in the playoffs either overall or in the big play category - this Packer's team is insanely scary if you're the opposition.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defense is giving up around 5 points more per game this year

Garbage time points?

I'm too lazy to to look at the 4th qtr points given up and adjust to per game average, but it feels like there's been a late, meaningless TD given up almost every week.

Each time it gives fans a reason to worry, but is it really so meaningful? I mean, in reality, practically is it meaningful; does it show a weakness we should worry about, or is only taking the foot off the gas?

Don't get me wrong, I don't like to see any points allowed and I've long complained about a lack of fury and agressiveness in the D this year, but realistically I wonder if the defense is actually not that bad and it's just the final score line that makes it look average.

SeahawkFan80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is it. I would imagine a lot of coaches go in at halftime and think okay we're up 24-10. Offense is rolling, so maybe we shouldn't change much right now. But the question should be asked "if we were in the other locker room right now, what would we do to slow down this offense". And be prepared to adjust accordingly.

As you astutely pointed out, the ability to transition from plan A to B, C, or even D and having those plans ready to deploy if needed are what ultimately separates good coaching from great coaching.

I think LaFleur and his staff do an outstanding job. But there's a little left to be desired in the adjustments department. LaFleur is still young and trying to figure out all of the nuances. I wouldn't expect him to have all of the answers in year 2, but it's something that will need continued improvement if the Packers are to maximize their full ability.

SeahawkFan80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To go along with this is what my team does. They usually end up going down in the first half and have to make a graceful comeback win. Sometimes it does not happen. But it makes for great entertainment and that is all this is to my understanding. So yall are on Saturday on NFLN only. Have a fun weekend.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Garbage time points?

I'm too lazy to to look at the 4th qtr points given up and adjust to per game average, but it feels like there's been a late, meaningless TD given up almost every week.

Each time it gives fans a reason to worry, but is it really so meaningful? I mean, in reality, practically is it meaningful; does it show a weakness we should worry about, or is only taking the foot off the gas?

Don't get me wrong, I don't like to see any points allowed and I've long complained about a lack of fury and agressiveness in the D this year, but realistically I wonder if the defense is actually not that bad and it's just the final score line that makes it look average.

I'll be honest I did not analyze when those points have occurred this year vs last year...exercise beyond what I desire to do.

I would assume this year's defense has given up far more 4th quarter points than last years. I say this purely as a logical guess, given that numerous games last year were close and I'd assume we had not went to soft coverage and prevent style.