Playoff positioning

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ naw....no problem with what he said, it's to late and far gone for sympathy. I thought it was actually funny, but then again I'm an ***hole.

L

Lunchboxer

True how it worked out in 2010 with no rest, and didn't in 2011 with the bye.
But NE was the #1 seed last year and had the bye, and they made it to the Super Bowl.

The problem for us, that was different, was A) we also sat Rodgers in week 17 which was a mistake, and B) the OC's pot head, alcoholic punk kid killed himself the week of the Giants game and because there was a funeral on Friday, it took the edge, fire away from some of our guys.... maybe the whole team.

A bye is always a good thing in the playoffs even though it doesn't guarantee a win the following week.
I just wish we could dome the stadium with January weather there...!

Wow what a ******.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ naw....no problem with what he said, it's to late and far gone for sympathy. I thought it was actually funny, but then again I'm an ***hole.
i deleted the post i didnt want to start anything on the forum. I just wouldnt joke around bout that.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Giants are still an intimidating team in the playoffs because they know how to play in the big games. As Gruden mentioned before 5000 times last night they are the defending world champions. The falcons have had a pretty easy schedule but still they pull off a lot of wins which is hard to do in the NFL. And i agree with a post above that the Kaep/Smith QB situation might be distracting in playoffs. I would love to stay at our current 3rd seed and beat the Seahawks (again) this season.

This whole season has been exciting because there has been no clear favorite to win the SB, which makes for some great football.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, and who did we play? ok

Fact is: we don't generate a consistant pass rush without him. His absence has killed us on the D line.

Which still doesn't support your original point that we don't have enough of a pass rush to get to Cutler. The Bears give up a lot more sacks than the Lions do.

Look, I was never arguing that losing Matthews has hurt our pass rush. That's obviously true. But you said you didn't think we can win because the Bears O-line has improved and our pass rush is non-existent. Not true. Again, even with Matthews out we are still 1st in the NFC in sacks. And Matthews will very likely be back for the Bears game. There's no reason to think we can't get to Cutler.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has a really good chance of happening eventually.

I would love to see it, especially being on our turf. The Seahawks are a very different team on the road compared to being at home, although the Bears never got that memo.

If I could draw up a perfect playoff scenario that has a realistic chance of happening -- we run the table, and the 49ers lose one more, we get the 2nd seed. The Seahawks end up winning their Wild Card game and we end up with a Seattle/Atlanta playoff draw.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ I hope he is back and at 100%. That will be the only way we will get CONSISTANT pressure. Pressure here and there wont get it done vs the bears on their home turf. Remember, we may have sacked'em good last time, but they also got to Arod pretty well. Right now, Arod is the most sacked QB in the NFL (39 times) and cutler is at 30 times. 9 sacks is a big difference. Remember too, we are missing Perry, who provided a good push and also generated a sack vs the bears. They will apply more pressure than we will, just watch.

Nowhere did I say we can't get to cutler, I said we wouldnt be CONSISTANT. Please watch your reading, thanks.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It has a really good chance of happening eventually.

I would love to see it, especially being on our turf. The Seahawks are a very different team on the road compared to being at home, although the Bears never got that memo.

If I could draw up a perfect playoff scenario that has a realistic chance of happening -- we run the table, and the 49ers lose one more, we get the 2nd seed. The Seahawks end up winning their Wild Card game and we end up with a Seattle/Atlanta playoff draw.

We barley beat the Vikings...If they had a half way decent q.b they get Tds and not int

We face them again, Det again who we had issues with as well , the Bears too..

People are counting their footballs before they cross the goaline

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, serously......our O line has gotten worse, our pass rush in non-existant, their O line has steadily improved. Plus, they always play us tough.

Yes how could I have ever assumed that you were implying that we couldn't get to Cutler?

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We barley beat the Vikings...If they had a half way decent q.b they get Tds and not int

We face them again, Det again who we had issues with as well , the Bears too..

People are counting their footballs before they cross the goaline

It also didn't help that we let Peterson run for 10 YPC. That won't happen again.

Fans can look ahead....the players will be focused on Detroit.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True how it worked out in 2010 with no rest, and didn't in 2011 with the bye.
But NE was the #1 seed last year and had the bye, and they made it to the Super Bowl.

The problem for us, that was different, was A) we also sat Rodgers in week 17 which was a mistake, and B) the OC's pot head, alcoholic punk kid killed himself the week of the Giants game and because there was a funeral on Friday, it took the edge, fire away from some of our guys.... maybe the whole team.

A bye is always a good thing in the playoffs even though it doesn't guarantee a win the following week.
I just wish we could dome the stadium with January weather there...!

J.C. Rizzo. Did you really just say that about the kid?! What happened was an absolute tragedy. And even if he was what you claim, that doesn't make it any better.

From a football standpoint, maybe it did affect team - I tend to think so. But, there's far more diplomatic ways to express the same. Trust me, I'm far from being the P.C. cop, but this was beyond bad taste in my mind.

Putting that aside, after watching the Redskins last night, that might be the team that takes the proverbial "team no one wants to play." They've won a few in a row and the offense is clicking. They still are not great on defense. But, with RGIII, they are an absolute threat against anyone.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
And by the way, it has been a non-existing pass rush.....Ponder stood in the pocket with out much scambling, Eli manning was basically untouched, ....the last time we got a good pash rush was against the Jags in week 8 and even they made that a close game.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes...this is after you said you didn't think we would beat the Bears and cited pass rush as one of the reasons why.

The Packers got to Stafford and they will get to Cutler one way or another...the Bears don't have the O-line to prevent that, at Soldier Field or anywhere else. If Matthews is back then obviously it will be a big benefit to accomplishing that. I don't think anyone would disagree that Clay Matthews is an essential part of our team having a CONSISTENT pass rush.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with the way we are getting lucky and squeeking past other teams, I don't feel that we can win out....not with the bears coming up: at soldier field, sh!tty turf, bears home field advantage, our skeptic O line.....hate to say it, but i think the bears beat us in a couple weeks. All the other teams we can beat, if we start playing with more urgency

I'm not sure where anyone's Bears love is coming from. They have done nothing this year except beat a few crap teams by wide margins. Anytime they've had to play a good team, sans the colts week 1, they've been handled pretty well. I'm not saying it'll be easy, but we're much better than the Bears IMO, even in our current state.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And by the way, it has been a non-existing pass rush.....Ponder stood in the pocket with out much scambling, Eli manning was basically untouched, ....the last time we got a good pash rush was against the Jags in week 8 and even they made that a close game.

But we threw a green blanket on the purple receivers. Anyway, our rush will get better when Clay returns. Guys that don't sack now will when he is in the lineup because of the attention he gets. Remember we were at or near near the top in sacks when Clay was playing.

And btw, you said against the Jags was the last time we had a good rush. Matthews injured his hamstring against Arizona the week afterwards.;)

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Urlacher out for the next 3-4 games. Tim Jennings shoulder was injured as well-- not sure how serious. 3 of their last 4 games on the road.

IDK, but it seems to me that the Bears have an uphill battle.

If the Packers aren't able to hold on to the top spot, they don't deserve the post-season.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urlacher out for the next 3-4 games. Tim Jennings shoulder was injured as well-- not sure how serious. 3 of their last 4 games on the road.

IDK, but it seems to me that the Bears have an uphill battle.

If the Packers aren't able to hold on to the top spot, they don't deserve the post-season.

I think they will deserve the post-season irregardless but not the NFC North! :)

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I'm not sure where anyone's Bears love is coming from. They have done nothing this year except beat a few crap teams by wide margins. Anytime they've had to play a good team, sans the colts week 1, they've been handled pretty well. I'm not saying it'll be easy, but we're much better than the Bears IMO, even in our current state.

Just because I can acknowledge good things about other teams does not mean I love them, I hate the bears, read my sig.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It also didn't help that we let Peterson run for 10 YPC. That won't happen again.

Fans can look ahead....the players will be focused on Detroit.

Wont happen again???? AP is a down right power house and has BURNED us more than just that once. We have a knack for letting guys have a record setting day on us. Granted we did pull out a win, but that was because Ponder has his head burried up his A-hole. Don't count out AP, he is on pace for a record breaking season.

Members online

Latest posts