players that TT must trade up for if the opportunity is there

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since mock drafts have him somewhere in the bottom half of the first round (including just after the Packers at #30 to the Steelers http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...n-cook-to-ravens-jabrill-peppers-to-steelers/) I would go for Jabrill Peppers. I think that we've all seen how talented that kid is all over the field. I saw him personally destroy the Gophers two years ago. He would be a great fit at the hibrid linebacker spot that we started using Morgan Burnett at this season. We probably wouldn't have to trade up but I might do it anyway.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since mock drafts have him somewhere in the bottom half of the first round (including just after the Packers at #30 to the Steelers http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...n-cook-to-ravens-jabrill-peppers-to-steelers/) I would go for Jabrill Peppers. I think that we've all seen how talented that kid is all over the field. I saw him personally destroy the Gophers two years ago. He would be a great fit at the hibrid linebacker spot that we started using Morgan Burnett at this season. We probably wouldn't have to trade up but I might do it anyway.

I'd take Peppers but he will be looong gone before the Packers pick. I think TT is going to take some hybrid DE and put him at OLB. That's the norm around here.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd take Peppers but he will be looong gone before the Packers pick. I think TT is going to take some hybrid DE and put him at OLB. That's the norm around here.

What's wrong with taking defensive ends and converting them to 34OLB?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade up and snag Dalvin cook.

I like Cook but they need a defensive playmaker real real bad. They don't have a single guy who demands even a double team..yet alone be able to wreck the other teams offensive drive single handidly ...anywhere in the defense. They need a Khalil Mack or shutdown corner...I'll take either one. Tired of getting smacked in the playoffs bro because of bad defense. Cook is going to help the offense score points..but we still going to get beat 35 -28 haha

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe during Peters' rookie season he allowed the most passing yards of any corner in the league.

Precisely he allowed the second most receiving yards behind the Steelers Antwon Blake as well as the fourth most touchdown receptions in the league.

why are you so ready to give up? Shields, Tramon, Collins, etc were criticized early and often in their careers. Years 3-4 is when they started to show their worth. Both Randall and Rollins made enough plays their rookie years to show they could play in this league. They need health and they need coaching. Even as bad as Randall looked at times last year, he still made some great plays. That pick in the Seattle game and the pick of Ebron in the Detroit game come to mind. He had others as well. He needs to be coached and accept that coaching or he'll never make it. But to not see the natural ability is crazy. and Gunter is just fine being a #4 DB on any team. He's meant to play a specific role and can be very good in that role with help. Even if we get those guys you want, I imagine you'll find a reason to be livid anyway :)

I agree there's no reason to give up on Randall, Rollins and Gunter but all of them would hugely benefit playing with a veteran #1 cornerback. Therefore Thompson should bring in a free agent to replace Shields.

Rookie Linebackers(inside or outside), DLs, runningbacks can make an IMMEDIATE impact in many scenarios

It is extremely rare that outside linebackers and defensive linemen veing picked at the end of the first round have an immediate impact in their rookie season.

Peppers doesn't address any of the Packers biggest needs on defense. It would be a waste to select him at #29 and even worse to trade up for him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree there's no reason to give up on Randall, Rollins and Gunter but all of them would hugely benefit playing with a veteran #1 cornerback. Therefore Thompson should bring in a free agent to replace Shields.

THAT!! Cannot be stressed enough IMO.

We saw the results of what happens when all 3 of those guys are expected to do more than they are currently able to do. Adding another rookie to that mess could make things even worse.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers doesn't address any of the Packers biggest needs on defense. It would be a waste to select him at #29 and even worse to trade up for him.
Ahhh, right. There aren't any threads on this forum about moving Clay to ILB or that position in general. It's one of our many defensive needs just not as concerning as CB. We need somebody that can cover the TEs and crossing routes. Besides, this thread is about drafting impact players - not which is the most pressing need.

We saw the results of what happens when all 3 of those guys are expected to do more than they are currently able to do. Adding another rookie to that mess could make things even worse.
Precisely. I agree with you and captain about needing a veteran CB. We don't need to use another high pick on CB but do need to draft another.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ahhh, right. There aren't any threads on this forum about moving Clay to ILB or that position in general. It's one of our many defensive needs just not as concerning as CB. We need somebody that can cover the TEs and crossing routes. Besides, this thread is about drafting impact players - not which is the most pressing need.

Fine, but the problem being that Peppers doesn't even excel in coverage.

BTW the reason behind bringing up Matthews moving inside again isn't a dire need of adding an average talent to the position but to either keep him more healthy or have better arguments asking him to renegotiate his deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Precisely. I agree with you and captain about needing a veteran CB. We don't need to use another high pick on CB but do need to draft another.

If we address the CB issue by signing a solid #1, I don't think we even have to do anything else other than shop late rounds or UDFA's for CB's. If the Packers signed someone like Bouye, they would have him, Randall, Rollins and Gunter. Now some might want to cut one or all of those guys, or move Rollins to Safety, but I think those 3 will show some signs of growth in 2017 and as long as they aren't pressed into the #1 spot and the Packers improve their pass rush, they might be fine. Obviously, the only issue you face there is a repeat of 2016 and your #1 CB goes down with an injury. But you can't afford 2 high priced CB's as insurance for that scenario.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine, but the problem being that Peppers doesn't even excel in coverage.

BTW the reason behind bringing up Matthews moving inside again isn't a dire need of adding an average talent to the position but to either keep him more healthy or have better arguments asking him to renegotiate his deal.
So you're going on record to say that you're 100% comfortable with the current ILB situation, or is there a need there?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So you're going on record to say that you're 100% comfortable with the current ILB situation, or is there a need there?

You didn't ask me, but personally I would like to see more depth at ILB and I am still not sold on Joe Thomas. While Ryan and Martinez aren't Pro Bowlers, I think they will both just keep getting better. I don't think moving Clay to ILB solves much, other that as Captain said, using it to renegotiate his contract and add some emergency depth to ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we address the CB issue by signing a solid #1, I don't think we even have to do anything else other than shop late rounds or UDFA's for CB's.

I would still be in favor of adding another cornerback during the early rounds of the draft though.

No way, but there are more pressing needs on defense in cornerback and outside linebacker.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would still be in favor of adding another cornerback during the early rounds of the draft though.

I would agree with that...if the coaching staff has realized that if two or more of Randall, Rollins, Gunter, Hawkins and Waters.....who are all young guys, don't have much of a future in GB. But if they do sign a #1 CB in Free Agency, and their current group of young CB's have a future, I think a low round pick would be better used on other positions.

Obviously, this all depends on what the Packers do between now and the draft with their current players or other FA's.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way, but there are more pressing needs on defense in cornerback and outside linebacker.

I agree 100% with this. On this subject, since CB is still a huge need on this team, can we officially declare the 2015 draft to be terrible? I mean, at this point Rollins and Randall could turn out to be great but the Packers are going to have to use more draft picks and, potentially, free agent dollars at a position that they used two top picks on. So, effectively, the team has to plan this offseason as if the top two picks of the 2015 draft never happened. For a team that uses the draft more than any other team in the NFL, that's the kind of thing that can set a team back for years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You didn't ask me, but personally I would like to see more depth at ILB and I am still not sold on Joe Thomas. While Ryan and Martinez aren't Pro Bowlers, I think they will both just keep getting better. I don't think moving Clay to ILB solves much, other that as Captain said, using it to renegotiate his contract and add some emergency depth to ILB.
Thomas made quite a jump from last year to this, so at least he's serviceable. He isn't your superstar, but another similar jump (that i'm not expecting) and he just might be :) I think Ryan and Martinez both have room to grow as well. While we could always be better at the position, with health and the expected growth from these young guys i'd rather focus on a position for this defense that could yield a game changing play maker like OLB, DB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would agree with that...if the coaching staff has realized that if two or more of Randall, Rollins, Gunter, Hawkins and Waters.....who are all young guys, don't have much of a future in GB. But if they do sign a #1 CB in Free Agency, and their current group of young CB's have a future, I think a low round pick would be better used on other positions.

It's possible that all of the cornerbacks you mentioned have a future in Green Bay but I don't want to be only a single injury away from having the same issues as last season. Therefore another early round pick at the position ahould be nade even if a veteran #1 is signed in free agency.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree 100% with this. On this subject, since CB is still a huge need on this team, can we officially declare the 2015 draft to be terrible? I mean, at this point Rollins and Randall could turn out to be great but the Packers are going to have to use more draft picks and, potentially, free agent dollars at a position that they used two top picks on. So, effectively, the team has to plan this offseason as if the top two picks of the 2015 draft never happened. For a team that uses the draft more than any other team in the NFL, that's the kind of thing that can set a team back for years.

It's too early to fairly evaluate the 2015 draft class but after the way Randall and Rollins performed last season there's reason to be concerned.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
No ROOKIE CB'S....NO!!!!! WE NEED VETERAN DB's. I would rather draft a real impact player in the first three rounds...WR, DE, LB than a newbie CB. Cornerback is such a technical position. This year is Super Bowl or bust...Grab some vets!!!
Every season from now until Rodgers retires should be considered Super Bowl or bust.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's too early to fairly evaluate the 2015 draft class but after the way Randall and Rollins performed last season there's reason to be concerned.

Agreed, which kind of ties into our other discussion on using yet another high pick on a CB, no guarantees. Of course you don't get a guarantee with any pick, so you have to balance those high picks with need and chance of success. Looking back at the Packers draft history, Hayward was about the only successful high pick at CB in recent history and we didn't find that out until it was too late.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not talking about evaluating the players, I'm saying that the front office has been forced to pretend those draft picks weren't made because the players didn't develop as quickly as the front office thought. The Packers are going into the season with corner as one of their top two needs, just TWO years after using their top two draft picks on corners. Even if those two players turn out great next year, the personnel decisions made in THIS offseason are going to reflect the reality that they're not very good right now, and so the team is making decisions this year as if that 2015 draft was terrible. That kills a team that relies so heavily on the draft.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, which kind of ties into our other discussion on using yet another high pick on a CB, no guarantees. Of course you don't get a guarantee with any pick, so you have to balance those high picks with need and chance of success. Looking back at the Packers draft history, Hayward was about the only successful high pick at CB in recent history and we didn't find that out until it was too late.

Well, the team knew he was good since his rookie season was exceptional and his final year with the team, while not great, was pretty good; the main concern I could see from the packers would be a concern that he couldn't stay healthy. I still contend that the Packers made a huge mistake in letting him walk, not because they could have been expected to know he would be that good, but because the deal he signed with the Chargers was so cheap! Hayward is making a little over half what Shields was scheduled to be paid.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, the team knew he was good since his rookie season was exceptional and his final year with the team, while not great, was pretty good; the main concern I could see from the packers would be a concern that he couldn't stay healthy. I still contend that the Packers made a huge mistake in letting him walk, not because they could have been expected to know he would be that good, but because the deal he signed with the Chargers was so cheap! Hayward is making a little over half what Shields was scheduled to be paid.

In hindsight it's true that the Chargers signed Hayward to a cheap deal but at the point he signed with San Diego I was fine with Thompson not matching it.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In hindsight it's true that the Chargers signed Hayward to a cheap deal but at the point he signed with San Diego I was fine with Thompson not matching it.

I thought the deal he signed was a great value but I can understand why people were willing to let him go. Nobody could have projected Shields missing the entire year and Rollins AND Randall not just taking a step back but actually sprinting backwards.