players that TT must trade up for if the opportunity is there

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the scenario is one or more of these players slips to between picks 15-25. I understand it is unlikely but it is certainly not impossible. for one of these players TT should package some picks and move up and seize the opportunity.
defensive end Alabama Jonathan Allen 6-3 294
olb Texas a&m myles Garrett 6-5 255
safety Ohio state Malik hooker 6-2 205
running back Leonard fournette 6-1 230
for Allen or Garrett I would be in favor of moving up to 15 by giving up our first 3 picks. for hooker or fournette I'd give up our 3rd rounder to move to 25.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If this scenario was the case I would go the other directtion and "double down" on the offense and get Mike Williams. I have no faith in these Yahoo's buliding a top defense. Mine as well give Rodgers the weapon he deserves at this point.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

the scenario is one or more of these players slips to between picks 15-25. I understand it is unlikely but it is certainly not impossible. for one of these players TT should package some picks and move up and seize the opportunity.
defensive end Alabama Jonathan Allen 6-3 294
olb Texas a&m myles Garrett 6-5 255
safety Ohio state Malik hooker 6-2 205
running back Leonard fournette 6-1 230
for Allen or Garrett I would be in favor of moving up to 15 by giving up our first 3 picks. for hooker or fournette I'd give up our 3rd rounder to move to 25.

If Myles Garrett drops to the 15th pick and Thompson has addressed the cornerback position in free agency he should give up whatever it takes to select him. Not gonna happen though.

Trading up for Jonathan Allen would requite the GM having upgraded both cornerback and outside linebacker before the draft.

I'm not interested in moving up for either Hooker or Fournette at all.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not necessarily if you believe Allen is a difference maker. if he's that good you know immediately and elite player he will elevate everyone else's play. I'm not saying I think he's that good, peppers on Carolina jj watt, Sean Taylor, Adrian Peterson coming out of oak. so basically future hall a famers. if Allen, Garrett, hooker, and fournette or anyone else in the draft are thought of in that regard by TT it's worth it whether other needs have been addressed

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fournette has been injury prone and runs too upright IMO. He is likely to produce decent numbers in between stints on the injury list. The Packers have enough injury issues without drafting a guy that has already missed significant time in college. CB takes too long to develop for a first round pick. Guys like Revis or Dion Sanders come along once a decade who are shut down from day one. I'm not against grabbing a CB in the third round but a trade or FA is the only serious Avenue if the Super Bowl is the goal.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fournette has been injury prone and runs too upright IMO. He is likely to produce decent numbers in between stints on the injury list. The Packers have enough injury issues without drafting a guy that has already missed significant time in college. CB takes too long to develop for a first round pick. Guys like Revis or Dion Sanders come along once a decade who are shut down from day one. I'm not against grabbing a CB in the third round but a trade or FA is the only serious Avenue if the Super Bowl is the goal.
What about Marcus Peters. He sure came into league like a seasoned vet. There are a ton of players at different positions that step in during rookie season start and do well. It's not like every rookie that comes into league is going to have a garbage rookie season. Dak, Zeke, Amari Cooper, David Johnson. Those guys did great for rookies and still at high level.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a corner. That is the weakest spot on the defense. I'd cut Matthews and resign Perry and push hard for Williams or Collins. The defense needs to be revamped big time. AGAIN

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Marcus Peters. He sure came into league like a seasoned vet. There are a ton of players at different positions that step in during rookie season start and do well. It's not like every rookie that comes into league is going to have a garbage rookie season. Dak, Zeke, Amari Cooper, David Johnson. Those guys did great for rookies and still at high level.
Most of the guys you mentioned are not CB's. Most corners take several seasons to develop. Time the Packers don't have. TT will squander another season if he thinks he can fix the Packers secondary via the draft only.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I believe during Peters' rookie season he allowed the most passing yards of any corner in the league.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a corner. That is the weakest spot on the defense. I'd cut Matthews and resign Perry and push hard for Williams or Collins. The defense needs to be revamped big time. AGAIN

No ROOKIE CB'S....NO!!!!! WE NEED VETERAN DB's. I would rather draft a real impact player in the first three rounds...WR, DE, LB than a newbie CB. Cornerback is such a technical position. This year is Super Bowl or bust...Grab some vets!!!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No ROOKIE CB'S....NO!!!!! WE NEED VETERAN DB's. I would rather draft a real impact player in the first three rounds...WR, DE, LB than a newbie CB. Cornerback is such a technical position. This year is Super Bowl or bust...Grab some vets!!!

Well you can grab a vet yea..they still need a guy to play effectively alongside of that vet. I think Randall is gone after his rookie contract, along with Rollins. There's also no guarantee that Hyde comes back, and Gunter needs to be released yesterday. I can honestly with a straight face say there are at least four corners projected to go in the 1st rd who are ALL right now better than Gunter and Rollins....and Marshawn Lattimore, and **** Tabor are just as good or if not better than Randall just from pure observation. Both pure cover guys who play man to man 70% of the time with above average ball skills. Lattimore will go on the top 10 I'm sure...but Tabor can still be had late in the first or Marlon Humphrey. If either is there and they pass I will be livid.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Well need to have a veteran DB. As well as probably a second year CB or a third one. Hyde either comes back or has to shop for another team.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So yet another promising thread gets derailed into rehashing one of the same old topics we've been discussing the entire offseason.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you can grab a vet yea..they still need a guy to play effectively alongside of that vet. I think Randall is gone after his rookie contract, along with Rollins. There's also no guarantee that Hyde comes back, and Gunter needs to be released yesterday. I can honestly with a straight face say there are at least four corners projected to go in the 1st rd who are ALL right now better than Gunter and Rollins....and Marshawn Lattimore, and **** Tabor are just as good or if not better than Randall just from pure observation. Both pure cover guys who play man to man 70% of the time with above average ball skills. Lattimore will go on the top 10 I'm sure...but Tabor can still be had late in the first or Marlon Humphrey. If either is there and they pass I will be livid.
why are you so ready to give up? Shields, Tramon, Collins, etc were criticized early and often in their careers. Years 3-4 is when they started to show their worth. Both Randall and Rollins made enough plays their rookie years to show they could play in this league. They need health and they need coaching. Even as bad as Randall looked at times last year, he still made some great plays. That pick in the Seattle game and the pick of Ebron in the Detroit game come to mind. He had others as well. He needs to be coached and accept that coaching or he'll never make it. But to not see the natural ability is crazy. and Gunter is just fine being a #4 DB on any team. He's meant to play a specific role and can be very good in that role with help. Even if we get those guys you want, I imagine you'll find a reason to be livid anyway :)

Eta: to keep this on topic, I don't know if there are any players that are a must have to give up picks to get. mostly because I don't pay attention to the draft till it's pretty much over. I'd rather have picks and bring more people in to watch in OTA's and TC than judge strictly off college play.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

True indeed. Those guys you mentioned came in the league and balled right away. However, they were also fortunate enough to have veteran pieces around them to complement and enhance their skills (especially Dak and Zeke). I don't think another rookie CB will perform as well due to a lack of elite pass rushers currently on the Packer's roster. Gotta get a vet or two along with Rollins and Randle.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will be some surprising drops into late 1st/early 2nd round (again) so if I'm TT I'm looking to slide back 5-10 picks and getting another 4th rounder out of the move. Similar talent available at 29 as 34-37. A QB-needy team will (hopefully) be looking to move up to get that 5th-year option on a QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As long as TT takes care of business with signing his own, as well as Free Agent acquisitions at CB and OLB, I would then rather see him trade back and accumulate a few extra mid round picks for development and depth at OL, CB, DL and WR. While I like the promise of all the UDFA's TT seems to find and keep, I would prefer the 53 man roster to be a little deeper with Vets and 1-5 round draft picks.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miles Garrett... he will be very good but i'd be suprised to see him drop out of Top 3

Some others have mentioned it already but rookie CBs DO take awhile to develop, so we basically almost "have to" sign a FA corner

Rookie Linebackers(inside or outside), DLs, runningbacks can make an IMMEDIATE impact in many scenarios

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are saying that rookie corners take a while to develop..so TT should wait to draft one. But don't wanna replace Rollins, or Randall because they both had good rookie seasons?? Come on man seriously.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are saying that rookie corners take a while to develop..so TT should wait to draft one. But don't wanna replace Rollins, or Randall because they both had good rookie seasons?? Come on man seriously.

The best case scenario is to sign on of the top FAs, but they WILL OVERPAY and let him play for 3-4 years, nothing long term or ridiculous... and maybe something where he could be cut after 2-3 years and let Randall, Rollins, Gunter, rookie CB develop behind

They need someone to just "come in" and be able to be the "number one" cornerback basically

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Are you implying one of the current players for the Packers is ready to be the #1 corner or that the Packers can fill that need with the draft?

I'm sure someone will have stats to refute this, but I think relying on a rookie picked at #29 or later in the draft to come right in and be your #1 CB in the NFL is a tall order. I don't think the Packers will give up on Randall, Rollins or Gunter, but after what the 3 of them each showed last year, none look ready to be a #1 CB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts