Play GM

12theTruth

He has a market as a free agent. Once again, what would a team give up for Finely? Packers won't get a 1st or 2nd rounder. A 3rd rounder is even going to be a stretch. The guy has been a disappointment... Teams don't give up high draft picks for disappointments.

Since when do teams also give up 1st round draft picks for "system" quarterbacks ;) like Flynn. The perception is out there and that is why I wouldn't tag and trade Flynn. Finley may not get a 1st round pick but I think he could pull a 2nd.

And if it is a 2nd round pick for Flynn it is definately not worth the risk to tag and trade. The safe route is to use the tag on Finley.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since when do teams also give up 1st round draft picks for "system" quarterbacks ;) like Flynn. The perception is out there and that is why I wouldn't tag and trade Flynn. Finley may not get a 1st round pick but I think he could pull a 2nd.

And if it is a 2nd round pick for Flynn it is definately not worth the risk to tag and trade. The safe route is to use the tag on Finley.

Teams give up first round picks for quarterbacks, they don't give them up for tight ends. I would love it if the Packers could get a second round pick for Finley, but it seems very far fetched. Remember, Finley is ready to argue the franchise tag (WR vs. TE money). Finley wants his paper. The team trading for Finley has to be prepared to give him his paper.

KYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we don't work out a deal with Finley, we have to tag him. There is nobody else on our roster that presents the matchup problems that he does...and if you haven't noticed this was the year of the tight end break out, so it wouldn't hurt to have one of the 5 best in the league in your offense for the next 3-5 years.

After the pleading to the front office last year by Rodgers to keep Jones around, you don't think he'll do something similar for Finley?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we don't work out a deal with Finley, we have to tag him. There is nobody else on our roster that presents the matchup problems that he does...and if you haven't noticed this was the year of the tight end break out, so it wouldn't hurt to have one of the 5 best in the league in your offense for the next 3-5 years.

After the pleading to the front office last year by Rodgers to keep Jones around, you don't think he'll do something similar for Finley?

What made/makes him a top 5 tight end?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The huge amount of drops driver had would make me very tempted to let him go.

KYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok...ok. I should have clarified. I think he is a top 5 receiving TE. Obviously we all know he has shown an unwillingness to block sometimes and that is part of his job description as a TE.

Seriously though, name 5 Tight Ends you would rather have as a receiver. The only two obvious ones are Gronk and Graham.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. What do you do with Grant? Let him go.

2. Wells? Pay him.

3. Finley? Trade him to AZ for Calais Campbell straight up. -Just kidding. But I would make that deal. Honestly, we could make a couple impact FA acquisitions on defense for the cost of franchising Finley...

4. Flynn? If you have a suitor, franchise him and try to move up in the first round. For the love of god do not draft an offensive player in the first two rounds.

5. Driver? Suggest restructuring his deal or offer him a coaching position. The guy is a great professional and role model for the youngsters.

6. Clifton? Bring him back for one more year if you can. Try to grab another o-lineman in the middle rounds of the draft.

7. Draft? If we stay parked where we are in the first round, I'm hoping that Melvin Ingram (SC) falls to us- I like his maturity, athleticism (i.e. versatility) and playmaking opposite Clay at the ROLB spot. The guy's a football player. If there's good value at DE then we should grab it but FA may be the way to go at there if we want immediate impact. Might have to find a safety and another o-lineman or two...

8. FA? (See above) I'm all about shopping for DEs primarily.

9. Any other adjustments you make? Woodson to safety? Woodson looked older and slower than he is because we played so little bump and run on defense. The entire secondary is going to look better when we fix the pass rush and get back to f*cking with WRs at the line of scrimmage.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. What do you do with Grant? Don't see any way he comes back. Not sure he really wants to be in GB any way.

2. Wells? I gotta think he's gonna be the priority here. It's a bit risky signing an older OLineman to a multi year deal, but we really have no other viable options at C. I'd say he'll get a backloaded 3 year contract that we can terminate after finding a replacement.

3. Finley? He has to get the franchise tag. He'll get offered numbers on the open market we won't want to compete with and rightfully so. IMO we really can't afford to give up on him yet. The ceiling is too high and he's still young enough to still mature into more of a professional. I say he gets tagged, he gets next year to prove he's become a pro on and off the field, and, depending on the results, either gets a fair deal or walks in 2013.

4. Flynn? Will walk and get a good deal from someone and we'll say good for him. No way you use the tag here with people knowing you'll be desperate to unload him. Can't take a chance on being on the hook for $14 million.

5. Driver? Believe it or not, I think Driver's situation could be tied to Finley's in a way. IF the organization decides to let Finley walk, I think Driver comes back. Carrying 6 WR's wouldn't be out of the question with this offense if Finley's not there. If Finley gets the tag, they'll have a big decision on Driver. Do you renegotiate(is DD even open to that?) and almost certainly lose Gurley?

6. Clifton? I imagine he'll retire. Even if he doesn't, not sure there's a spot for him.

7. Draft? DLine, LB, DB and Oline provided the right prospects are there. Take best player available other wise.

8. FA? Don't see much going on here. Maybe a veteran backup QB? Maybe a position of need if we don't have to overpay.

9. Any other adjustments you make? Woodson to safety? This hinges on Nick Collins. I think Woodson would make a great safety though.

I'll add another with Jarrett Bush. I don't think you can spend much here. Give him a solid offer for a special teams player and put the ball in his court. Great if he stays, no huge loss if he doesn't.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok...ok. I should have clarified. I think he is a top 5 receiving TE. Obviously we all know he has shown an unwillingness to block sometimes and that is part of his job description as a TE.

Seriously though, name 5 Tight Ends you would rather have as a receiver. The only two obvious ones are Gronk and Graham.

Rob Gronk
Jimmy Graham
Jason Witten
Vernon Davis
Brandon Pettigrew
Fred Davis
Jared Cook (He's underused in TEN but he's just like Finley)
Jermaine Gresham (meh, maybe not)

There might be more.

I'd still like to franchise Finley as long as they can re-sign Wells without the franchise tag.

KYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rob Gronk
Jimmy Graham
Jason Witten
Vernon Davis
Brandon Pettigrew
Fred Davis

There might be more.

I'd still like to franchise Finley as long as they can re-sign Wells without the franchise tag.

The 1st 2 I gave you...

-Witten right now yes, but for the next 3-5 years (the length Finley's deal would likely be for) not so sure.
-Davis is even more inconsistent than Finley. Actually he is a whole lot like him. So much talent and skill, but sometimes it is overshadowed by the mental side of the game. Both have the ability to explode for huge games, case in point last weekend for VD, but it is hard to say he is head and shoulders above Finley right now
-Pettigrew just finished his 2nd season and is an offense designed for him to have big numbers. He was a 1st rd pick so he is expected to provide alot of numbers for Detroit. You're probably right on him.
-Fred Davis is another guy that we just don't know about. Could be better, but maybe he isn't. Give him Rodgers over Grossman and I'd say that'd help him a little haha.
-Cook. I live an hour from Nashville actually and fans BEG for him to get the ball more. I too think he is one of those guys that have skills and loads of talent, but maybe the mental side hasn't caught up yet. There has to be a reason he didn't really see the field until this year and still wasn't on the field as much as he or fans would've liked.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 1st 2 I gave you...

-Witten right now yes, but for the next 3-5 years (the length Finley's deal would likely be for) not so sure.
-Davis is even more inconsistent than Finley. Actually he is a whole lot like him. So much talent and skill, but sometimes it is overshadowed by the mental side of the game. Both have the ability to explode for huge games, case in point last weekend for VD, but it is hard to say he is head and shoulders above Finley right now
-Pettigrew just finished his 2nd season and is an offense designed for him to have big numbers. He was a 1st rd pick so he is expected to provide alot of numbers for Detroit. You're probably right on him.
-Fred Davis is another guy that we just don't know about. Could be better, but maybe he isn't. Give him Rodgers over Grossman and I'd say that'd help him a little haha.
-Cook. I live an hour from Nashville actually and fans BEG for him to get the ball more. I too think he is one of those guys that have skills and loads of talent, but maybe the mental side hasn't caught up yet. There has to be a reason he didn't really see the field until this year and still wasn't on the field as much as he or fans would've liked.

Yea I'm just going by right now, not long term. I'm not sure that I'd say any of them are head-and-shoulders above Finley, at least not as receiving tight ends. I just like those guys a little more right now.

I too live an hour from Nashville, that's why I know about Cook. He finished really strong this season. It's funny because while he didn't see the field as much as many fans wanted, he still was only 9 yards shy of breaking the all-time regular-season receiving record for Oilers/Titans TEs by Frank Wycheck.

I would like one more year of Finley though. He just didn't look right this season. Maybe it was the weight loss? Doesn't explain the drops though. He didn't play like a top-5 TE this season but he could eventually be one.

Reaction score
1. What do you do with Grant? - resign for less $$$

2. Wells? need to resign

3. Finley? Bye Bye

4. Flynn? Franchise, sign & then trade

5. Driver? - resign for less $$$

6. Clifton? - Bye Bye, its time

7. Draft? at least 6 of the picks should be defense, DL, OLB, CB, S

8. FA? - TT is the GM so no name will be signed. I'd love to see them go after Robert Mathis.

9. Any other adjustments you make? Woodson to safety? - If Collins can't play Woodson needs to be moved to Safety

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rob Gronk
Jimmy Graham
Jason Witten
Vernon Davis
Brandon Pettigrew
Fred Davis

There might be more.

I'd probably add Aaron Hernandez too.

Edit: Antonio Gates? he's getting up there in age though.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley is definately behind Gronkowski, Graham, Gates, Witten and Vernon Davis. You could argue a number of other names based on production (not hype).

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He has a market as a free agent. Once again, what would a team give up for Finely? Packers won't get a 1st or 2nd rounder. A 3rd rounder is even going to be a stretch. The guy has been a disappointment... Teams don't give up high draft picks for disappointments.

I disagree. Fin is only 24. He had a couple of bad games, but he also doesn't get the ball thrown his way a lot of times because of our WR depth. I would absolutely HATE to tag and trade him to someone only to have him meet his potential for them. He's too young to give up on, and besides, without him our TE position is pretty ho-hum. He needs to address the drops. But you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gronkowski? Sure he's pretty good right now, but he'll probably have a very short career as soon as he gronks the wrong **** star and gets syphilis. Sorry, there's just something wrong with a guy who wants to gronk where 1000 other men have already gronked before. Nasty.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we pay Wells, he is the quiet achiever, and rarely has a bad game.
Grant is done
Finley will get franchised
Flynn will walk, he has shown 2.5 games in 2 years, not sure that will bring enough interest if he is franchised
Driver gets a one year deal, as they don't draft any notable offensive players this year
Clifton gets his gold watch and pension
I hope we draft a D men in the each of the first 5 rounds, so many positions need an upgrade or depth
F.A. is Willis available?? I'll take him.
Maybe move Raji to the OL as a LG.. build a wall in front of Aaron

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its a tough year....
After a REALLY tough loss...

Grant we can afford to let go.

DD and Cliffy are tough.... They have put in work and are loved in the community.
Not sure what to do with them. They can both still obviously play. So why not one more yr.

I would though like to see TT go for DJax.
Some say he has an attitude prob. But put him on a SB caliber team with his old college QB throwing to him and his attitude will probally get a lot better.
Picture that receiving corps.
Jennings
Jackson
Nelson
Jones
Driver
Kobb (ST)
JFinn ( tag or re-sign)

then just build up the D thru the draft. Put Raji and Pickett back alternatting at NT and find some DE's!!!
also it may be time to grab some young secondary help.

Woodson isn't gonna be around forever.
and who knows about N Collins

Should be an interesting off season

in TT we trust

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. What do you do with Grant?
Let Grant go, he was decent in the 2nd half of the season, but he's showing his age, big cap price

2. Wells?
Keep, sign to big contract (for a Center) he's damn good.

3. Finley?
try and sign him to decent money, he goes he goes.

4. Flynn?
Tag him, trade him for a 1st or couple 2's

5. Driver?
ask him to take a pay cut

6. Clifton?
let him go, age and injuries have done him in. Give the starting job to Newhouse and let Sherrod develop more.

7. Draft?
OLB, RB, DE, CB

8. FA?
Any of the above, except RB

9. Any other adjustments you make? Woodson to safety?
Woodson....he's a hard one, if Colins is done, yes, move him to saftey, if not, keep him at CB. Drop Pephra, Bush.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams give up first round picks for quarterbacks, they don't give them up for tight ends. I would love it if the Packers could get a second round pick for Finley, but it seems very far fetched. Remember, Finley is ready to argue the franchise tag (WR vs. TE money). Finley wants his paper. The team trading for Finley has to be prepared to give him his paper.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/01/jermichael-finley-is-down-with-the-franchise-tag/

he's cool with being tagged if it means he'll play, not only that, but they are close to a long term deal

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgaz...gent-says-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Staff online

Members online